Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 13, 2008 9:00 PM

Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Great ending. One of the best plots I've seen so far. They did every thing right.
10 out of 10.

TuzoAnimeJun 13, 2008 9:05 PM
Jun 21, 2008 2:02 PM
Jul 2007
awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jun 23, 2008 11:05 AM

Feb 2008
Very nice ending, though I didn't like fact that we didn't get to see what happened between Eugenie and Albert (as in, if they're together, which is probable).
Overall, I really, really enjoyed this anime.
It gets a big 10/10 and it's definitely going to my Top 5.
Jul 15, 2008 6:14 PM

Feb 2008
Great series but it should've ended at episode 23, this is just obvious filler and exaggerated tie-up. Also overplayed the "happiness" of the ending instead of keeping it slightly open which would just be so much better. I wish I wouldn't have watched this last episode cause it shames the rest of the series which is a fucking masterpiece.
Sep 15, 2008 7:44 AM

Sep 2007
Christ, Gankutsuou's the only anime that made me weep like I was a small boy four darn times through out the whole series. Maximilien and Valentine's reunion was heart-touching but.. no Albert and Eugenie reunion? Oh, come on. : < That's what I wanted to see the most in this final episode.

Anyways, fully deserved 10 out of 10, Top 5 since episode 4, Gonzo's best work to this date, imo.
Nov 4, 2008 1:14 PM

Jun 2008
What did I tell you? Filler episode! Pointless too... just a little after-story. ~_~

8/10 from me~ Technically, 8.89, but MAL doesn't do decimals, and the last ep made me not want to give it a 9. ._.

Sig WILL change soon~
Dec 14, 2008 5:49 PM
Jul 2008
Overall this anime is my favorite series. I'll admit the last episode could have been done better. But I'll just take it to be a prologue of sorts. Compared to some of my other favorite animes I've watched that ended in disaster I'll be able to live with this outcome.
Dec 20, 2008 6:34 PM

Jun 2008
Gankutsuou is an adaptation to the novel. And it was a great adaptation. The "filler" was needed. I'm currently reading the book, and I don't think Eugenie and Albert ever got together in the novel anyways. After I finished this, I'm in a lost of words to describe the emotions I felt for this adaptation. The art was just right, the pace was steady, and the characters great, especially Franz. Albert was a bit whiny and naive, but that was how Dumas wrote him as well. I felt the adaptation though have elaborated more on Edmond's past life, since the beginning was pretty interesting as well. But the rest of it makes up for the loss.

10/10
Jan 14, 2009 2:11 PM
May 2008
10 out of 10 but i wish 23 had been the final act pesonally. better ending, leaves more to the viewer.
Jan 18, 2009 10:45 PM

Aug 2008
i think we can assume that Albert and Eugenie did get together in the anime, he heard her playing the piano in the graveyard and got that excited look on his face and started running to the chapel. i can guess happy ending with those two.

it was good to have an ep to give a solid resolution for all the characters, i would have been quite annoyed if they just ended at ep 23 like some of you seem to have prefered. it would have felt so unfulling not to have known what happened with all the characters, especially as i was waiting for a Albert-Eugenie reunion ever since she left for New York. :)
Jan 27, 2009 12:46 PM

May 2008
I wasn't very fond of this anime, maybe because it's just an adaptation and I prefer the original story by Alexandre Dumas
The graphic is interesting, but I didn't quite like the characters. Also, the ending was a bit boring in my opinion.
Kyomu9Oct 30, 2009 9:53 AM
Jan 28, 2009 6:40 AM

Mar 2008
I think it was a beautiful ending, filler or not.
Jan 29, 2009 12:26 AM

May 2008
Pewdie said:
I think it was a beautiful ending, filler or not.
Yup, me too
Feb 1, 2009 10:12 PM

Mar 2008
I wished they would have tied up the Albert and Eugenie relationship.
8/10
Mar 8, 2009 7:44 PM

Jan 2009
I preferred the ending in the original novel, I'll just say it was happier than this ending (and if you want to know what I mean you'll just have to read the 800pg(?) novel and find out for yourself ^_^). Still this anime was great and I loved the unique animation style.
Apr 8, 2009 12:53 PM

Jan 2009
Very satisfied with Gankutsuou. Definetly one of the bests (if not the best) in terms of artwork. The mysterious and dramatic plot was definetly awesome. Too bad this episode dissapointed me, Valentine and Maximiliam but not a Albert and Eugenie? Please... what happened here eh? But i must admit this one got me really interested, the only thing that seriusly bothered me was the ending. I needed more Eugenie/Albert, it left a very huge hole :( fucking Alexandre Dumas die in hell. But no, overall was fantastic. Great story.

9/10 for me because of the ending. Really gorgeus.

EDIT: Fuck this, the ending is just that... the ending, the only thing that matters is if you truly enjoyed it. Besides it was a great adaptation from the novel. 10/10.
MikiyoApr 8, 2009 1:08 PM

My Anime List. | ηš†γ―θ¦‹γ€γ‘γ‚‰γ‚Œγ‚‹εΏ…θ¦γŒγ‚γ‚‹γ€‚ | Relentless.
Apr 22, 2009 9:32 PM

Oct 2008
This anime could have been a 10 for me if the ending was better done. The ending wrapped things up nicely, although it was a little underwhelming for my taste, compared to the intensity and anticipation of many of the episodes earlier on in the anime.

I thought the reunion between Maximilien and Valentine was too cheesy, with all the people clapping and cheering when they hugged. I've seen that kind of scene too many times.

I also think it should be safe to assume Albert and Eugenie got together in the end. The scenes where Albert was at Franz's grave as well as the scenes with the letter from Edmond to Mercedes in their younger and more carefree days made me feel quite sad and made the most impact on me this episode.

I would have preferred to give this anime a 9.5 or 9.6. Sadly, since I can't give my score with decimals, I can only give it a 9.
May 21, 2009 5:20 PM

May 2009
i actually enjoyed the ending....i guess i'm a sucker for the extreme happy endings :/
i want to read the book some time in the future (just need to find it first)
Jul 3, 2009 1:47 PM

Feb 2009
Well. Basically, it's best if you don't read the original book beforehand, if you want to like the plot. In fact, it's best not to read ANY books beforehand, at least nothing past Where's Waldo? because all it boils down to is:

ooh, look, flashy artwork! kirei!

that way you can ignore the flaccid main characters, poor plot and terrible pacing in the middle. Everybody wins.
Aug 18, 2009 3:23 PM

Sep 2008
Ending could have been better imo. The first half of this series was great, I thought for sure it would get a 9 or 10. But the later episodes wasnt as good so Im not sure if I should give it a 7 or an 8 now.
Sep 1, 2009 6:04 PM
Aug 2007
Being a fan of the original books I went into this show wondering if they could match the intensity and the pain throughout, and while the graphics may at times distract you from the story (if you can't get over that sort of thing), I think they matched the book's emotions quite nicely.

My favorite part is that many of the smaller sub-plots that go on which are usually left out of other film versions were included and to great effect. I hope that if you're reading this you try to watch this show, take the graphics lightly, and give this show a real shot. I think it's quite worth it.
Sep 18, 2009 12:35 PM

Apr 2009
Overall, my favorite adaptation of the story--a series is MUCH better suited than a movie to following all the twists in the novel, and I was mostly very happy here. I thought the ending of the anime was a bit weaker than the novel (why is it that writers always want Mondego and the Count to have some sort of brawl?), but after watching Dumas' work receive one terrible adaptation after another, this was a rare treat.
Sep 23, 2009 10:24 AM

Dec 2007
Reporting in, I desperatly wanted to know moar about Peppo!
Oct 3, 2009 11:41 PM

Jul 2008
I really appreciated this series. Watching it on DVD made the art all that more awesome to me. Albert thankfully didn't stay an idiot. And let's be honest, Maximilien x Valentine is epic and this episode was needed just to give them some resolution.

γ‚Έγƒͺティック♑BEGINNER
Oct 5, 2009 7:45 PM

Jan 2009
Just finished the series and i must say it was truly good. It is probably the best adaption of one of my favorite books of all time. It did the original great justice, the art style may have been a little different but i feel it added to the greatness of this show rather then hinder it. I thoroughly enjoyed the characters and their progression through the series. And i must say this show has a very good soundtrack, going to have to download the OST when i go home.

8/10
Nov 23, 2009 5:01 AM

Jan 2009
ah, watched the whole thing in less than 24 hours, if that says anything...

great story, I read the original a while ago, so I sort of knew what to expect, but this show really is something, the atmosphere is just right except for a few weak moments it delivers, the ending was nice but weak though.

n.b-hated that the count had to die.
Mar 8, 2010 8:05 AM
Mar 2010
Ending was pretty good, and the whole Anime is awesome. One of my favorites.
Mar 21, 2010 11:48 PM

Feb 2010
10/10!!! Magnificent. I am a HUGE fan of the novel... but I enjoyed this "re-telling" (per-say...). It was different enough to stand on it's own. The imagery, storytelling, magic, and wonder was enough to win me over.
Mar 29, 2010 10:50 AM
Mar 2010
(lol),Am i the only one that feels sad about the count?I don't know why but the anime gave me the impression that if Albert had to chose between Euge.. and the count he would chose him.I don't mean yaoi 'cause it's nothing like that but still i can't help but think that the bond Albert shared with the count was the strongest of the entire story.also i really like the ending.i usually prefer these types of endings because they make me think the story will never end.Well,but maybe i think to much. 10/10.it's definitely one of my favorites.
Apr 6, 2010 5:34 AM

Nov 2007
And so it's over O_O, my what a series this has been, truly magnificent, true some parts are cliche but who cares when the director did such a great job, shame that there was no big reunion shown and no heartfelt moment between Eugenie and Albert, but oh well reasonable ending.
Jun 16, 2010 2:45 AM
Feb 2009
yea...they could have out the reunion party as the final part before moving the scene to the blue sky with the word ''FIN''....but this ending is still great. 10/10 for sure!!! i love jouji nakata & jun fukuyama voice!!!
Jul 4, 2010 1:48 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Great series, but the ending leaves somethings quite open.

It is implied that Albert and Eugenie end up together, but if you remember, Haydee says that Albert is to be posted as secretary to the Embassy in Janina and that "it must be destiny". Or something along those lines.

In the original novel, the Count ends up with Haydee. Any chance Albert and Haydee could be paired up in Gankutusuou?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 6, 2010 11:33 PM

May 2010
Marzan said:
Great series, but the ending leaves somethings quite open.

It is implied that Albert and Eugenie end up together, but if you remember, Haydee says that Albert is to be posted as secretary to the Embassy in Janina and that "it must be destiny". Or something along those lines.

In the original novel, the Count ends up with Haydee. Any chance Albert and Haydee could be paired up in Gankutusuou?

Not very likely. The show made it a case that Albert and Eugenie are the main couple, and the two do reunite at the end after she returns from New York( which they don't show, I personally think the ending could have been even better if they did). So if Albert travels to meet Haydee after the end, he would most likely have been together with Eugenie as she has retired(?) (<-- I don't rememeber) from her career.
ZakuHeadJul 6, 2010 11:36 PM
Jul 27, 2010 2:26 PM

May 2009
rofl everybody liked the show ? o_O

wtf?

i dont know what to put, 6 or 7 for the show..

annoying characters.. SLOW PACED show, and other minor stuff..

this would've been better if it would have 12 episodes
Nov 22, 2010 11:11 PM

Mar 2010
Wow, just wow. I can't believe they butchered the show like that after an awesome first half.
Don't get me wrong, the anime itself it's above average,superb....good. But, as an adaptation of Dumas work it, quite frankly, sucked.
They start off with the festival in Luna.Alright, everything seems fine. Later on we get to know that it's a futuristic setting.We know that everything changes, they can't possible make everything fit like in the book. It's still fine, just according to keikaku, etc.
But instead of us, the audience, getting absorbed by the count's charisma, the story begins to revolve around Aruberu and his ''problems''.
It wasn't ''The Count of Monte Cristo'' anymore. It was more like ''Albert and friends (starring Albert)''.

You still with me? Okay. I'm not going to babble for each episode(wich I could) but let's go to the final two, episode 23 and 24.
The battle looked good just like the negotiation of Haydee and Alberto's life between Fernando and Edmundo.It was the climax of the whole show, what you wait since you start watching new material.
Suddenly, Gankutsuou takes control of the Count and you know that he's done, finished, terminated. But oh no, not in the presence of Albert and his almighty power of friendship.
He then proceeds to use the most feared technique against EVIL entities, yes, you know what I'm talking about.A HUG. Mr. Edmond gets back to normal, he still dies though. And voila the resolution we all waited for is here.
The final act is just ''And they lived happily ever after'' filler.

And I'm not even mad, I'm just shocked on how those 24 episodes, of a show I really was looking for ,turned into something I didn't expect(not in a good way).
CalliistoNov 22, 2010 11:18 PM
Dec 5, 2010 10:36 AM

Aug 2009
I actually liked this series a lot, Cryed four times like a baby;________;
Dec 29, 2010 2:28 PM

Aug 2009
hmm.. i don't know what my conclusion is about the series.
Truth is I haven't read the book, although I really want to. I've watched the two movies. I admit I liked the last one of 2002 a LOT. I know people say it doesn't pay the original material justice, but still I can't lie that I enjoyed the movie. Having not read the books.. I thought that the part of the movie of Albert being really the son of the Count was true.. so you can imagine my dissappointment when I figured out it was not gonna happen that way...
I just expected this climax sooo much since the duel scene. I know it's not how it originally is, but still I find it enhances the tragedy of the whole story. In any case, from the little I know I think it kept close to the original material quite a lot, well apart from the backdrop ofc, which is a plus in any case.

Forgetting about that, I'll talk about some things I didn't like that much. Like the coldness of the Count in parts. Ok.. Gankutsou is a being that controlls the heart, but still the image of the Count I had in my mind was of someone kinder and gentler, who wouldn't kill so cold bloodeedly when the time came..
Like some other people already said, I didn't like the part that didn't show more about how the Count got to where he is now, like how did he make his huuuge fortune.. or how did he meet the people that were serving him so passionately..

The art was a plus for me, a big plus to me actually. But the story, especially the second half, could have been done much better with more focus to the Count and a more sensitive and careful approach in some parts.
It had its peaks that elated me only to drop me flat on the ground the next minute. I can't ignore though its good moments. So this results for me to a rating of 9/10. ~sth more like 8.5~ mostly cause of its uniqueness as a result.
JusticeUndoneDec 29, 2010 4:12 PM
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
Jan 16, 2011 12:18 AM

Oct 2008
For this 10/10

Because of:
Great visuals
Amazing different art
Awesome music
Great plot
Nice characters
Emotional moments

For me it's one of the best anime I've ever seen.
Mar 9, 2011 12:04 PM

Sep 2008
Fantastic series. Good ending. My honest opinion is that it's just a "decent" ending, really. I mean, it was satisfying enough, and nice to see any loose ends tied up or random questions answered by showing what all the characters are up to. I do kind of wish we had gotten to see Albert actually meeting up with Eugénie, though. Would've been a nice bonus...

Anyway, I enjoyed the ending. Series gets a 9 from me.
Mar 16, 2011 6:12 PM

Aug 2008
Albert looks more like Count in his youth, that i started to believe that he was Count's own son (i was hoping for a twist like... Mercedes already pregnant before she married to mondego :p)
it would explain the deep bond between albert and count.

but of course it didn't happen lol.
Mar 30, 2011 12:56 AM
Jan 2010
Great series..
This anime has a different sensation than the novel.. Though I prefer the novel version, I really enjoyed this anime, I forgot that I had read the novel this anime (The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas)..
Apr 2, 2011 2:56 AM
May 2010
rechajulay said:
Albert looks more like Count in his youth, that i started to believe that he was Count's own son (i was hoping for a twist like... Mercedes already pregnant before she married to mondego :p)
it would explain the deep bond between albert and count.

but of course it didn't happen lol.

Yeah, it occured to me too.
Anyway, it's a great series.
Apr 9, 2011 8:29 PM
Oct 2009
What a let down. The earlier part of the series was very good, then everything went bad. Too bad.
The window, the window shopping! Hooo!
May 27, 2011 3:19 AM
Dec 2009
24 wasn't the best episode. Nothing much happened and Albert appears only in the 2nd half. In addition, it is not clear whether he ends up with Eugenie or not.
Jun 2, 2011 11:21 PM

May 2010
supernova20 said:
24 wasn't the best episode. Nothing much happened and Albert appears only in the 2nd half. In addition, it is not clear whether he ends up with Eugenie or not.

They are reunited offscreen
Jun 2, 2011 11:26 PM

Jun 2009
GunDumb90 said:
supernova20 said:

Why do you think this, I mean I really want this to be the case but...I don't remember any concrete proof of this.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 7, 2011 2:30 PM

May 2010
insan3soldiern said:
GunDumb90 said:
supernova20 said:

Why do you think this, I mean I really want this to be the case but...I don't remember any concrete proof of this.

Well it is heavily implied. They were both at the cemetery and Albert heard the music from inside the chapel and thus knew it was Eugenie and ran towards it, its fairly obvious that they did reunite, albeit off screen that is. This is even mentioned on wikipedia: "The episode ends as Albert rushes to the nearby church where he hears Eugénie playing. " The scene that shows Albert leaving the house with the rolling credits afterwards, is just, well the credits and has been shown in this episode to take place before the cemetery scene .
ZakuHeadJun 7, 2011 2:34 PM
Jun 12, 2011 4:04 AM

Oct 2009
Ugh, what's wrong with the ending? It tied up loose ends and yet still left something to our imagination in regards to Albert and Eugenie. I think it was a great way to end. The show started with Albert not wanting the engagement, then learning about love in different ways through literally almost all of the other characters in the show, and then they leave it to us to imagine the possibilities.

God, just be grateful we didn't get a shitty OVA about their kids or something. I loved it. 10/10.
Sep 3, 2011 1:52 PM

Aug 2011
Glad this last episode is not a filler.

Two love couples will have happy ending! I think it's already good to have happy ending, because this gives us courage and hope!
Sep 4, 2011 2:37 PM

May 2011
i cant believe how horrible this series became in the second half, so much potential thrown out the window.. glad its over
jaNSENNSep 4, 2011 2:47 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» About the Ending of Gankutsuou [Spoilers]

DeactivatedProbe - May 29, 2021

2 by scrapegoat »»
Feb 19, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Jun 14, 2008

94 by KuroGFX »»
Feb 6, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

StabbyPWNS - Nov 3, 2008

120 by Leongolleyn »»
Dec 29, 2023 5:48 AM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 13 Discussion

Mikiyo - Apr 8, 2009

45 by nicissad »»
Oct 5, 2023 10:56 PM

Poll: » Gankutsuou Episode 11 Discussion

Kayro - Jun 18, 2008

48 by Dawizz »»
Sep 9, 2023 2:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.