Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 8, 2008 1:27 PM

Aug 2007
I couldn't help but laugh at the chess game. That loli emperor had the most annoying voice I have heard in a long time. It was a fairly average episode, but it seems to be going in a good direction- the next few episodes should be very good.
Jun 8, 2008 1:45 PM

Sep 2007
*sigh* Now one is realy interested wo posts first in this fucking threads, don't hype CG too much like its the best fucking Anime ever... it's getting on my freaking nerves...

Kind of confusing episode, like we get tossed in a new story all of a sudden... but looking forward to more.

Jun 8, 2008 2:09 PM

Oct 2007
Overfiend said:
Was that even a legal move he did there?

As far as I know (haven't played in ages) you are not allowed to set yourself checkmate (or check for that matter).

Yeah, that wasn't a legal move, which sort of bothers me, cuz it feels contrived, but I guess they were shooting to make a point.

I'm also confused why Zero held Tianzi at gunpoint. It seems like Xing Ke was going to end up doing all the work anyway. Hopefully they'll clarify next week.

But Orange-kun's back!? shocker!
Jun 8, 2008 2:13 PM

Jan 2008
Hmm, very good politics episode. Last fews seconds were strange...but finally it gets interesting for a change.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Jun 8, 2008 2:31 PM

Jan 2007
"lolwut" was pretty much my reaction to this episode.
Jun 8, 2008 2:32 PM

Dec 2007
Interesting episode. I don't understand why Lelouch trying to "Checkmate" the Chinese Federation though, after they helped him out?

Xingke gets total bonus points this episode. Loved the whole pinky promise bit.

Jun 8, 2008 2:34 PM

Jun 2007
This is getting ridiculous.....
Jun 8, 2008 2:45 PM
Dec 2007
Hmmm interesting episode, definitely better than the last few, but still missing something in my opinion (oh and the repeated Kallen fanservice is quite enough...). And we have to see once again a character that should have disappeared long ago : Nina, by far the most annoying and ridiculous character of CG (I'll laugh the second that I watch her death on screen, a gross and inhuman one I hope !). But well, Code Geass first season wasn't the best except for the first 4 or 5 episodes and the last 4 or 5 too. The development was less interesting as is R2 I think.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 8, 2008 3:02 PM

Apr 2007
I didn't like this episode, but my biggest question is...WHY IS ORANGE ALIVE?!

Well, now that I think about it I guess him being alive makes sense since C.C. is also alive. I would still prefer him to be dead.
Jun 8, 2008 3:12 PM

Apr 2008
Faust721 said:

Ditto
Jun 8, 2008 3:16 PM

Jun 2008
Momo-Hime said:

Well, now that I think about it I guess him being alive makes sense since C.C. is also alive. I would still prefer him to be dead.

CC is immortal. Orange is just PLOTHAX. :/
Jun 8, 2008 3:24 PM

Sep 2007
Lelouch will use any means necessary to beat down Britannia, even if it means forcefully taking control of other nations.
Jun 8, 2008 3:35 PM

Dec 2007
Okay so.. Lelouch wants to take over the Chinese Federation :O The chess game with that quite interesting bet was canceled due to psycho Nina interupting >,> And then Lelouch points a gun at loli Tianzi's head.

Oh yea.. and then ORANGE-kun returns -.-

You could call this episode quite interesting ^^
And again a major cliffhanger.. so let's wait and see what happens next.
Jun 8, 2008 3:56 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
I find this is starting to get ridiculous.....

Please, leave a little bit of realism like season one did.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 8, 2008 4:04 PM

Sep 2007
When I saw Zero at the party I knew Nina would go ballistic. Cant wait for ep 10 to see what Orange-kun is going to do now that he's back.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

MALoween 2023 Candies

MALoween 2022 Candies

Jun 8, 2008 4:08 PM

Oct 2007
WAHa_06x36 said:
That was one hilarious chess game.

Or, well, calling it a chess game would perhaps be too generous, it certainly wasn't played by any known set of rules. I don't think a single thing about that game made any sense, and especially not the end of it, or anything that was said about it.

Same here, I thought that game of chess didn't make sense, except for that little message. However what was worse was when Nina came and interrupted... bit too crazy for me.

Overall this was a decent episode, full of politics but I didn't initially understand the logic behind Zero kidnapping the Empress Tianzi (was her voice annoying or what?) but I somewhat understand after reading some of these comments. ^_^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 8, 2008 4:10 PM

Apr 2007
Faust721 said:

QFT

Jun 8, 2008 4:13 PM

Aug 2007
Tsunami said:
Faust721 said:

QFT

I would just add "lolwut orange-kun?"
Jun 8, 2008 4:15 PM

Dec 2007
KingPin said:
When I saw Zero at the party I knew Nina would go ballistic. Cant wait for ep 10 to see what Orange-kun is going to do now that he's back.

YEAH!! I was hoping to see Nina in her 'bersek' mode!!
.. Airwalk
Jun 8, 2008 4:16 PM

Sep 2007
Firstly... yay ORANGE-kun!

Well this was a great episode but I can't say I was too happy about Zero kidnapping the Empress Tianzi... I know why he did it... and I know he has no intention of actually harming her but still... Well I guess if he is willing to sink yet again even lower for his goal of destroying Britannia then whatever its his life...
Jun 8, 2008 4:24 PM
Aug 2007
If this wasn't another pointless, horrible, dragged out episode, I don't know what is! It's painfully obvious that the Geass series is being milked until it's dry, either that or Sunrise is just so stupid that they cannot arse themselves to actually make something happen in the episodes.

So far R2 has been random plot twists that are ridiculous and do nothing to help move along the plot... unless you consider more random plot filling and wasted character/story development "moving along the plot". So this episode is mainly centered around the Chinese empress and the wedding.. but I guess that never even gets started until the end, does it? The entire ceremony that took up most of this episode was attempts to develop some useless characters like Nina in a bad fashion.

If R2 doesn't start to pick up and actually get somewhere, I might start losing faith in the series (although I have already). Well, judging from how R2 has been so far, I doubt it's going to pick any time soon, maybe not until the end. I don't really care for it much at this point, but I still want to see what happens, if anything. That's my two cents anyways.

2/5. *Holds up flame shield*
Jun 8, 2008 4:39 PM

Aug 2007
I don't know whether to hate this episode or not.
Nina just sucks. D: Plainly sucks.
Kallen and Lulu falling with CC saying random stuff was win.
Then it just got boring D:.
Jun 8, 2008 4:40 PM
Nov 2007
I like how it took nine whole episodes before anybody dared to suggest that maybe this season isn't really making a whole lot of sense.
Jun 8, 2008 4:49 PM

Jan 2008
crazy chess match, plus a Lulu loss of sanity laugh awesome
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 8, 2008 5:00 PM

Apr 2008
Didn't find the episode THAT great.
Freakin after waiting for two weeks, was expecting something better.
But I guess, all these episodes have to come in order for the story to advance...
So, can't be helped I guess....
Jun 8, 2008 5:21 PM

Nov 2007
sigh Jeremiah Gottwald is one character that should STOP coming back. I can put up with Suzaku but this guy is just retardedly annoying. how did he survive and why is he in good graces with the empire? wait I don't really care because he's a bad character.

good to see Zero back to himself and him and kallen = win. guess we'll find out why he didn't let Xing Ke continue, I don't see them becoming enemies or Zero actually killing the empress. shouldn't someone of noticed Lelouch not at school and said something? the real match I want to see is Zero vs Schneizel since Schneizel should know something about his mother.
Jun 8, 2008 5:31 PM

Apr 2008
lolillegalchessmoves.

Knowing that the emperor would have taken the piece without hesitation makes him sound quite awesome. I understand Lelouch wanting to be a rebel and everything but eh, you can't care too much about pride when you're prepared to hold little girls at gunpoint.

Didn't really like this episode as a whole, Xing's scene at the end was pretty cool and so was Jeremiah's return but it was pretty dullfor the most part. Oh well at least the yaoi fans got something out of it.
Jun 8, 2008 5:53 PM

Apr 2008
Am I the only one who likes C.C. x Lulu?
And I personally loved this episode. You get to see more on the Chinese Fed. and where Nina & Milly went with the royal family stuff. I love how Xing-Ke rebells and attacks when the wedding happened. And I was kinda pissed when Lelouch ruined the happy moment between Xing-Ke and Tianzi.
Jun 8, 2008 6:01 PM

Nov 2004
Heh. I liked the episode, I sort of view Geass as mindless entertainment now that it's jumping around with all the insanity. Nina has unfortunately been an annoyance for me so I would rather have it that she wasn't there. For the whole main pairing thing, it's still Lelouch x C.C. for me even though C.C. has zero screentime and Kallen gets all the action (I can only guess it's understandable since C.C. can't waltz around in the public unless she disguises herself). Xing-ke coup d' etat scene was awesome. And I was kind of like "Noooooo" when Zero got in the way (and I can understand why he is gonna take Tianzi has hostage but is there a need for the maniac laugh? Zero's image isn't supposed to be ultimate evil).
Jun 8, 2008 6:19 PM

Feb 2008
Ugh, Nina is so stupid.

Yeah, I doupt this is going to be quite as good as season 1, but it's still enjoyable. Like I've been saying about the last few episodes though ... I still don't really have a clue where the rest of the series is going, weird stuff.
Jun 8, 2008 6:29 PM

Nov 2007
Orange-kun got an upgrade.
I want more Anya~

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Jun 8, 2008 6:35 PM

May 2008
Haha, suggestive yaoi and lolicons. What an episode xD

Maybe I'm too simpleminded, but I like all the twists and such in this series. I'll never got bored of CODE GEASS.
Jun 8, 2008 6:38 PM

Feb 2008
ultimately zero's living up to his goals. essentially hes doing the same thing that brit was about to do, only now hell be hated by more people. a hero for justice that nobody likes?

Jun 8, 2008 6:42 PM

Mar 2008
hmm, this episode really just shifted my opinion of the characters around. Lelouch has his own objectives in mind, and its really beginning to show. Nina was so close to becoming almost bearable, but she shifted back to racist psycho. oh well. more sexual tension between Kallen and Lelouch (nothing new there). I have to wonder if the plot went out of its way to make Xingke likable just to make Lelouch look like an anti-hero again.

and finally, its been said, but welcome back orange-kun! he got a snazzy new mask thing as well
Jun 8, 2008 6:45 PM

Nov 2007
I think the whole thing about Chinese Federation thingy was a bit rushed, I'd prefer if they make 2~ 3 more episodes about it.

I hope Nina could somehow get in Lelouch's way in the future. Lawl wat, Orange kun is back !
Dj_FrogJun 8, 2008 6:49 PM
Jun 8, 2008 6:59 PM

Feb 2008
Dj_Frog said:
I think the whole thing about Chinese Federation thingy was a bit rushed, I'd prefer if they make 2~ 3 more episodes about it.

I gotta agree with you here. Along with all these new characters, I just think there's simply TOO much going on in this season so far, kind of losing it's focus. But, a lot can happen towards the middle, so I guess we'll see how things pan out.
Jun 8, 2008 7:00 PM

Nov 2007
LOL at the guy bitching on the first page.

epic Turn, worth the wait.
Jun 8, 2008 7:03 PM

Apr 2008
Everyone keeps saying how season 2 really sucks, well what did you expect? Second tries are never as good as first ones...it's almost an unwritten rule for all tv shows, movies etc.
This episode was random..i wasn't expecting a wedding ceremony that's for sure. But wth, hasn't anyone noticed that lelouch isn't at school? is it holidays or somthing?
Jun 8, 2008 7:16 PM

Jan 2008
I demand more LelouchxKallen Scenes!!
Jun 8, 2008 7:17 PM

Sep 2007
OMFG!

ORANGE-KUN!!!
Jun 8, 2008 7:34 PM
christmas cake

May 2008
dumbasatri said:
hmm, this episode really just shifted my opinion of the characters around. Lelouch has his own objectives in mind, and its really beginning to show. Nina was so close to becoming almost bearable, but she shifted back to racist psycho. oh well. more sexual tension between Kallen and Lelouch (nothing new there). I have to wonder if the plot went out of its way to make Xingke likable just to make Lelouch look like an anti-hero again.

Thank you!

Why is everyone going on about how horrible this episode was. This was a great episode, if you're watching Code Geass for political drama and character development and not OMGPWN Mecha fighting. This taking-over-China business seems a little out of left field, and I wasn't aware they were so fragile to begin with, the show has mostly cast them as one of the few actual adversaries Brittania has, but then there's C.C.'s voiceover intro to tell about the federation of starving people probably ready to mutiny of things get any worse.

Nina change was cool, up until we find out she's really not getting any stronger and is just as fruitcake as before when she sees Zero. Guess she wont be going to any more social events with the prince. Xing-ke's backstory was also good, he's even less a nationalitist hardass now and instead the princess's protector. Suzaku continues to show less empathy for people with his new rank in the System as he fails to see this contrived marriage for what it is. Kallen softens up to Lelouch and begins to understand how her actions effect her friends more, and Lelouch is getting carried off on a tangent and losing sight of his goal (his sister).
Jun 8, 2008 7:34 PM

Feb 2008
skyenix said:
I demand more LelouchxKallen Scenes!!

HELL yeah I'm with ya on that one brotha!

Momo-Hime said:

V.V. has clearly turned him into a cyborg who will be appointed by the Emperor to lead an army of clones to crush the Rebels for the Empire. I also predict light sabers will become a recurring theme in future episodes.
Jun 8, 2008 7:39 PM
Jun 2008
Fai said:
flaskis said:

Lol, try to understand japanese first before watching a raw and bragging here -.-
Schneizel lost on purpose. Zero actually won, but Schneizel had the game set up that if Zero would take the king, his king would be attacked by the other pieces. In a normal chess game, Zero would have won. But here Schneizel showed everyone that whenever Zero is in a bad situation, he will just flee the battle, which he did by moving his king back.
And this is a Sunrise production. You could have at least guessed that Zero had some other motives for doing what he did with the empress other that "he was frustrated that he lost against Schneizel".

And is it just me, but 99% of the people that post after watching a raw only comment what they saw and never what was said. I mean, if you don't understand what they say without subtitles, why bother watching a raw?

/me smells a troll, but bahh will try to answer.

Schnitzel won, by playing with Lulu. IMHO Mao won the chess in the similar way. about 2/3 of ANY game is to psychologically understand the opponent and use his flaws against him. This time it was no different, the moment Schneizel saw Lulu use the king, he KNEW what to do - remember these two played against each other in childhood. Schneizell had a lot of time to understand that strategy.

And about frustration - ever heard about "joking", sarcasm or cynicism? IF u never ever have seen people use various memes, remarks and t.t, then you should really try harder to NOT fail at internetz. Or if you did not get the tone in which the "summary" was written, then you PHAIL instantly.

I obviously understand the real motives, but its not newspaper, I could have said "orange-kun brings us a new plot development - CHAMPAGNE POWA", would that mean that I understood it that way? NO, so IMHO u phaild at trolling.

I quite literally registered just to say this to the both of you:
What Schniezel did is NOT a legal move in a game of chess, this means that
a) Schniezel was forfeiting, Zero Wins
b) Sunrise thought it was something clever but didn't look at the actual rules of Chess

I understand that Schniezel was toying with him, however the fact remains that what he did isn't legal, Zero doesn't have to "accept" winning that game or "be forced to" move his king back, the move simply COULD NOT have happened.

Now that my rrrrrrrrrrage has been freed, awesome ep (barring the aforementioned (HUGE) flaw of course), and since I'm a big Karen fan... YAY!!
Jun 8, 2008 7:42 PM
Dec 2007
I like the idea of an episode where everyone is close, but no one can do anything. Nina's still a b****. I gotta say though, that was a real dick move by lelouch at the end.I cant say in didnt expect it in this anime, but still it totally killed any feel good mood. In the end im pretty sure that lelouch wont be reunited with his friends. im looking forward to the next episode
Jun 8, 2008 7:45 PM
Nov 2007
To be fair, that weird king move was neither the biggest problem with the episode, nor the biggest problem with that chess game. The part where Zero went from having three pieces left to having six pieces was pretty questionable. Also the announcement that they were evenly matched with three versus seven pieces.
Jun 8, 2008 7:51 PM
Aug 2007
nx6 said:
Why is everyone going on about how horrible this episode was. This was a great episode, if you're watching Code Geass for political drama and character development and not OMGPWN Mecha fighting.

Well, that's the reason why I loved Geass season 1 so much. For the drama, the tactics used by the military parties, and the characters interactions with each other throughout the entirety of the series. In my own opinion, I simply feel that R2 has not lived up to any of this and in fact is degrading it all.

I'm not saying it's horrible... well actually no, I guess I am. I realize the series was bound to become a little bit random and especially with its booming popularity, of course it's going to be milked for all its worth. There are always dedicated fans out there that will love a series no matter what (not to be taken as an insult). However, for someone like me, that was looking for some of the same aspects as in season 1, I'm severely disappointed in what has been shown so far.

It will probably get better, so it's not like I'm completely giving up hope on season 2. Just kind of... wishing some more actually developed in these first 9 episodes.

EDIT: On another note: I freaking hate mecha anime, so it should come as a surprise that I even loved season 1 as much as I do.
Jun 8, 2008 7:53 PM
Nov 2007
I must be the only person who not only found the aforementioned chess match downright hilarious, but also became that much more GAR for Schneizel because of it. I don't mean that just because it was a subtle "screw you" to Zero, or because he still revealed a part of Zero even though he lost. Most of all, it sets the stage for the kind of challenge Schneizel is going to be to Lelouch come later episodes.

Also, lolicon Xing-ke is lolicon. A Lulu/Kallen is fine, too.
Jun 8, 2008 7:57 PM
May 2008
lelouch is such an attention whore, ive hated his character from the beginining.
At least hes finally going for the right girl, and it onlytook him 34 episodes.
Xing Ke is stepping up in a big way, it could be pretty interesting if the series develops a 3rd front. Nina is without a doubt the worst character on the show, and I really hope someone finishes her off soon. Suzaku is just completely useless, if Nunnaly is there, he is a foil to lelouch.
However, I really like this episode because it seems like the story is going somewhere, finally...
Karen seems to be coming up, 3 rivals now? I'm excited shes become more than lelouch's oblivious sidekick

and jeremiah is a completely different character than he started out as. I know his defeat by zero is supposed to be a dramatic change in his life, but everytime they bring him back they change his characterization.

deletethiscrapJun 8, 2008 8:11 PM
Jun 8, 2008 8:10 PM
christmas cake

May 2008
WAHa_06x36 said:
Also the announcement that they were evenly matched with three versus seven pieces.

I'm not sure I'd ask a loli for analysis of a chess match. :-P Especially when she's not impartial to the players.

Ezen said:
Well, that's the reason why I loved Geass season 1 so much. For the drama, the tactics used by the military parties, and the characters interactions with each other throughout the entirety of the series. In my own opinion, I simply feel that R2 has not lived up to any of this and in fact is degrading it all.

Part of that is the way Sunrise has tried to start Season 2, in that they want to start the series all over again when they have a half-dozen story lines left open from before. So the first three episodes were confusing while they try to bring us up to speed. Maybe this is an example of a show that needed more episodes to tell the story correctly so now we're jumping ahead at a pace that seems more random. Reminds me of how Claymore ended. I notice we've completely left the school drama part of the series behind, probably permanently. We're also keeping too many lame characters around (Nina, Orange-kun) while the ones who really were better (Cornellia) have yet to resurface.

However, for someone like me, that was looking for some of the same aspects as in season 1, I'm severely disappointed in what has been shown so far.

Hmmm, I think the second season has been slightly better than the first. The last episode was good, too. The one before (Kallen and Guren get plotkai upgrade in mid-air) was annoyingly cliche.

It will probably get better, so it's not like I'm completely giving up hope on season 2.

I think it will improve.

On another note: I freaking hate mecha anime, so it should come as a surprise that I even loved season 1 as much as I do.

I do too, yet I just finished TTGL and I very much enjoyed it.
Jun 8, 2008 8:12 PM

Apr 2007
Since when can two kings stand next to each other?? I don't know if its because they didn't have time to research on a better set of moves that will prove the point or because they were trying to appeal to a wider audience who may not be familiar with the rules, and therefore have no appreciation of the scene unless they see two most important peaces together, but as a chess fan i take some offense to that. Sorry.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Kallen's future after ending

Arminken - Apr 26

5 by Arminken »»
Apr 26, 5:00 PM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

yuzuko - Apr 20, 2008

239 by Delritos »»
Mar 29, 9:00 PM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Sep 28, 2008

1901 by DarkVoyagerx »»
Mar 25, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Aug 17, 2008

435 by Dante9231 »»
Feb 21, 2:23 AM

Poll: » Code Geass - Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dtshyk - Jun 29, 2008

291 by Dante9231 »»
Feb 20, 2:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.