Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Aug 25, 2011 3:27 PM

Aug 2011
It died a long time ago with the rise of Equality. (which isnt a bad thing)
That's just my opinion.

It's not really chivalry, as it is just being kind.
Chivalry isnt really a relevant term.

That person was either just having a bad day, or just a jerk. <.<
Aug 25, 2011 4:40 PM

Feb 2009
Chivalry is sexist on the basis of it can only be a male that is capable of being chivalrous.

But sadly I am also a victim of being born when I was. People call me old fashioned, nope, I am not old fashioned, I am in fact that old. I am not 'like' an old person, I am what people that are 'like' old people are emulating.

I come from a time when women simply were different than they are today. It's not entirely my fault.

Letting a woman have a seat was not chivalrous when I was young, it was considered good upbringing.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Aug 26, 2011 8:49 AM

Jul 2011
It's just a matter of bad luck and bitches man, next time, offer one to some oldies and pregnant woman :l
Aug 26, 2011 12:03 PM
Mar 2008
Sukunai said:
Chivalry is sexist on the basis of it can only be a male that is capable of being chivalrous.
People put too much thought lately at what's sexist and what not. I don't see how could anyone want to replace something good that was born from sexism, with some kind of bitter feminism, that isn't any less sexism at the end.

For my part, nobody says anything while I'm in my horse, with my armour, hailing "God save the queen!"
Aug 26, 2011 10:28 PM

Jun 2011
I think chivalry is an outdated term and concept. However, I have a great appreciation for courtesy and respect. If a man holds open a door or does some other small act of kindness for me, I think that it's nice. If a man were to offer his seat to me, I would regard it as very considerate. It mostly depends on the context and attitude; if I know that a man is doing something considerate with good intentions, then I will always respond favorably.

That said, even though I am a woman, I also hold doors open for other people, regardless of their sex, and I try to be considerate in some ways that could be thought of as "chivalrous." I don't think of it as chivalry, though. I think of it as common courtesy.
Aug 27, 2011 8:03 AM

Feb 2011
I always hold the door for women but they always throw it in my face :(
Aug 27, 2011 8:23 AM

May 2011
It sure seems that way. I'm a girl and get weird looks for holding doors for other girls. Frankly, I get weird looks whenever I try to be polite and whatnot, but I still try.

As for when other people do things like holding doors for me, I thank them, but I do feel cautious, especially if they just give off bad vibes. But those kinds of people have never been anything but kind to me, so I think I'm just paranoid. ^_^V
Aug 27, 2011 3:04 PM
Mar 2008
Forest-kun said:
It sure seems that way. I'm a girl and get weird looks for holding doors for other girls. Frankly, I get weird looks whenever I try to be polite and whatnot, but I still try.

As for when other people do things like holding doors for me, I thank them, but I do feel cautious, especially if they just give off bad vibes. But those kinds of people have never been anything but kind to me, so I think I'm just paranoid. ^_^V
I wonder if they think you're giving them weird looks while they do that?

lord_sesshomaru said:
I always hold the door for women but they always throw it in my face :(
That's harsh.
Aug 28, 2011 1:06 AM

Nov 2010
yeah chivalry isnt dead but some people(grumpy at the time or equality activists) get really pissy but the 2 or 3 times iv had that shit happen i cut it off pretty quick with an insult of some type (cuz thats all they really want is to feel justifyed in their actions)

so the next time just be like "lady i was tryin to be nice but if u dont want fuckin the seat shut the fuck up so i can leave u alone already" and make sure to say it LOUD she should be gettin all the looks after that
The ability to change everything you come in contact with is something everyone has, its just that so many don't comprehend(or choose to ignore) that that makes them personally responsible for...well just about everything.
Aug 28, 2011 1:14 AM

Sep 2010
I hope it isn't dead :(

Unlike some of the awesome people on here all the guys I meet think being polite is somehow a bad thing.. I don't necessarily think it's dead but it's for sure not as big anymore :(.
Aug 28, 2011 12:50 PM

Apr 2007
Necocoa said:
Good riddance I say.

The thing about chivalry...is that despite its pure intentions, it is still inherently sexist.

Specifically, it is a form of benevolent sexism.

If I went to a movie or a restaurant with someone who was black and then offered to pay for the food or the ticket *because* my friend was black....or if I gave up my seat to someone on the bus *because* they were from Canada....or if I held open the door for someone, not out of politeness, but *because* they were Muslim, would that be alright?

If it were a common practice throughout society and everyone did it....would it no longer be racist or biased in any way?

It's no different than if you pay for a movie or offer a seat to someone just because they are female.

Just to clarify; you can hold a door open for a female, offer a chair, pay for a movie, etc etc without it being sexist.....it's called politeness, and you do not offer it to one gender and not the other. There may be some girls out there who are okay with being treated differently just because of their gender, whether said treatment be positive or negative, but then there are plenty of others who just want EQUAL treatment, whether it be positive or negative.

Namely, if you are willing to pull out a chair or hold open a door for a female, but would not offer the same courtesy to a male....good intentions aside, you are being sexist, period.

Excellent points ^^

Chivalry is unfair to other men also, those who want people to be polite to them and respected. I would love to have doors held open for me or offered a seat.
ZephysAug 28, 2011 7:49 PM
Aug 28, 2011 1:30 PM

May 2009
I wonder, I'll try it next week when school starts again.
Aug 28, 2011 4:13 PM
Mar 2008
Kuradachi said:
Excellent points ^^
No, they are not. He's saying sexism=racism. Racism is born from ignorance and hate, and is based in mostly inexistent differences. Sexism is simply a distorted view (at least for this time, I can't speak for the past) on existing deifferences. He's also saying that you shouldn't do positive actions if your intentions are not completely pure (something that doesn't exist) because other people doesn't want them if they are like that. But that's their problem. You shouldn't be bitter because other people are, if anything, you shouldn't be, just because of that.

By the way, now, there are two types of chivalry. One that just acknowledge differences and another one that considers women inferior, but for those people, probably everyone is inferior. Equality doesn't mean considering men and women the same, it means not considering any of them as superior.
Aug 28, 2011 4:36 PM

Jul 2010
skankfish said:
Wow, splitting the bill... how generous.

Lol I thought the same thing.

Anyways I'm still a student and I do common polite gestures such as holding the doors and such. So at least some of the newer generation have it. I don't even think about doing it, I just react out of habit because that is the way I was taught.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2011 8:01 PM

Apr 2007
Pero said:
Kuradachi said:
Excellent points ^^
No, they are not. He's saying sexism=racism. Racism is born from ignorance and hate, and is based in mostly inexistent differences. Sexism is simply a distorted view (at least for this time, I can't speak for the past) on existing deifferences. He's also saying that you shouldn't do positive actions if your intentions are not completely pure (something that doesn't exist) because other people doesn't want them if they are like that. But that's their problem. You shouldn't be bitter because other people are, if anything, you shouldn't be, just because of that.

By the way, now, there are two types of chivalry. One that just acknowledge differences and another one that considers women inferior, but for those people, probably everyone is inferior. Equality doesn't mean considering men and women the same, it means not considering any of them as superior.

In the way that they are both form of discrimination. Although Chivalry does have good intentions, it only targets one gender and not the other, thus it is discrimination. I don't believe that he is saying that sexism equals racism, but that he is arguing that they are both forms of discrimination because he is aware of gender differences versus racial differences. Is it really doing the positive thing to do when you're discriminating against other people? He did not say that you should not just be polite to one gender, but both genders, which is what we call being courteous. Therefore, he made good points in that he established that chivalry is a form of discrimination against women.
Aug 28, 2011 10:15 PM
Mar 2008
Kuradachi said:
I don't believe that he is saying that sexism equals racism, but that he is arguing that they are both forms of discrimination because he is aware of gender differences versus racial differences.
Nah. He did said very simply that sexism equals racism. If there was any of that meaning going through his head, he didn't phrase it.
Kuradachi said:
He did not say that you should not just be polite to one gender, but both genders, which is what we call being courteous.
Yea. I missed that.
Kuradachi said:
Therefore, he made good points in that he established that chivalry is a form of discrimination against women.
I missed that too. He didn't really made any good point about that. Chivalry can be discriminatory, but it can also not be. Like I said, differentiation is not the same as discrimination, and is not more inheritably (is that the right use of the word?) evil than any reason for what people do what they do.
Aug 29, 2011 11:08 PM

Apr 2007
Pero said:
Kuradachi said:
I don't believe that he is saying that sexism equals racism, but that he is arguing that they are both forms of discrimination because he is aware of gender differences versus racial differences.
Nah. He did said very simply that sexism equals racism. If there was any of that meaning going through his head, he didn't phrase it.
Kuradachi said:
He did not say that you should not just be polite to one gender, but both genders, which is what we call being courteous.
Yea. I missed that.
Kuradachi said:
Therefore, he made good points in that he established that chivalry is a form of discrimination against women.
I missed that too. He didn't really made any good point about that. Chivalry can be discriminatory, but it can also not be. Like I said, differentiation is not the same as discrimination, and is not more inheritably (is that the right use of the word?) evil than any reason for what people do what they do.

So sexism is ok then because it is not born from ignorance and hate..okay..lol
How can chivalry not be discriminatory when there is preferential treatment? Chivalry assumes that men are superior and responsible for all courtesies. I do things for people because I think it is the right thing to do, not because it is my duty or because the person happens to be another gender. He also didn't say it is inherently evil, but inherently sexist.
ZephysAug 29, 2011 11:16 PM
Aug 29, 2011 11:21 PM
Jun 2010
Pero said:
Kuradachi said:
Kuradachi said:
Yea. I missed that.
Kuradachi said:

so what ur basically saying is, u missed a ton of stuff, and the whole world would be SOOOOO much better without any discrimination.... if every1 treated each other equally...

/thread
Aug 30, 2011 8:00 AM

Apr 2009
Last time I held the door to a female, she glared and refused to enter before me.

Yeah, it's pretty much dead.
Whenever you correct someone's grammar just remember that nobody likes you.
Aug 30, 2011 8:41 AM
Mar 2008
cakeisthesauce said:
so what ur basically saying is, u missed a ton of stuff, and the whole world would be SOOOOO much better without any discrimination.... if every1 treated each other equally...
Yes, to the first part. And, no, to the second, although you can quote me on that, I liked how it sounded.

Kuradachi said:
So sexism is ok then because it is not born from ignorance and hate..okay..lol
You're taking it out of context. Considering that wasn't even in the same post and it was about different things. Besides, I never said anything about it being ok
Kuradachi said:
How can chivalry not be discriminatory when there is preferential treatment? Chivalry assumes that men are superior and responsible for all courtesies.
You really repeat yourself without reading. I said it could be discriminatory, just as it could also not be. To explain why, I'd have to repeat myself, and we would do a full circle. If you really care, you can read my last couple of posts.
Kuradachi said:
He also didn't say it is inherently evil, but inherently sexist.
You did a ful circle here, anyway. So, I guess I can repeat myself for this little bit.
Pero said:
differentiation is not the same as discrimination, and is not more inheritably (is that the right use of the word?) evil than any reason for what people do what they do.

By the way, thanks. Inherently, might have been the word I was looking for.

Edit: Sorry, cakeisthesauce, I know you called it thread, but I couldn't leave it be, while words were being put into my mouth.
onewithflanAug 30, 2011 9:14 AM
Sep 2, 2011 10:05 AM

Apr 2009
Chivalry isn't dead. I mean sure, women stepped all over it when they started the whole feminist movement and asked for equality, but really it's just on vacation till women realize that equality sucks.
Sep 2, 2011 10:25 AM

Aug 2011
I'd always let an old lady take my seat in a tram or a bus, but the same goes for an old gramps who has trouble standing on his own. Doesn't hurt to open a door for someone, if such a situation happens to occur. But the gender doesn't matter.

There's even women who keep the door open in a supermarket for me. It's because they are nice. I also try to be nice to people unless something happens that makes me thing otherwise. I just hate attention whores -.-

Of course women should be treated equally, but with all pros and cons. And the argument that men don't have to give birth to babies as an excuse for women not having to be forced to serve in the army for whatever months (and other things) is just plain stupid and idiotic. You always have a choice with this one. If you don't want children, fine. no hard feelings. If you do, well then it was your decision.
Sep 2, 2011 12:05 PM

Feb 2011
Women ask for equality, until is no longer to their advantage, at which point they ask for chivalry.
Sep 3, 2011 5:25 PM
Jul 2018
Oh look, my satirical post that poked fun at this thread has been deleted!

Does this mean satire and trolling are on in the same? It's not like there wasn't a point behind what I said.
Sep 4, 2011 12:50 AM

Aug 2007
AnnoKano said:
Oh look, my satirical post that poked fun at this thread has been deleted!

Does this mean satire and trolling are on in the same? It's not like there wasn't a point behind what I said.

They like to delete stuff and never give any reasons why. The moderators on here are jokes.
Sep 4, 2011 1:44 AM

Dec 2007
Drunk_Samurai said:
They like to delete stuff and never give any reasons why. The moderators on here are jokes.

Some things speak for themselves. I would delete your post if I hadn't used it for my response, and you would exactly know why.

AnnoKano said:
It's not like there wasn't a point behind what I said.

I don't know who removed your post nor have I seen your post, but I hope you see how irrelevant that remark is. If I were to post the thread with general guidelines with lots of "fuck" and "because I like trolling MAL", the point would come across as well. Semantics and syntaxes.
Sep 4, 2011 2:37 PM

Aug 2007
Chavez said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Some things speak for themselves. I would delete your post if I hadn't used it for my response, and you would exactly know why.

AnnoKano said:

I don't know who removed your post nor have I seen your post, but I hope you see how irrelevant that remark is. If I were to post the thread with general guidelines with lots of "fuck" and "because I like trolling MAL", the point would come across as well. Semantics and syntaxes.

Because you think its trolling which mean you don't know what trolling is. Its not trolling if you believe it.
Sep 4, 2011 3:51 PM
Apr 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:
Chavez said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

AnnoKano said:

Because you think its trolling which mean you don't know what trolling is. Its not trolling if you believe it.

Like Westboro Baptist Church?
Sep 6, 2011 1:14 PM
Jan 2010
I try my best to bring it back, I do it in such an amazing manor people dont question it :P
Sep 7, 2011 6:15 AM

Jan 2011
It ain't dead, some people kill it by believing it is.
Sep 7, 2011 11:15 AM

Aug 2007
MidnightGreen09 said:

Replace most with some. It is dead and has been dead for years.
Sep 8, 2011 5:28 PM

Jun 2010
Drunk_Samurai said:
MidnightGreen09 said:

Replace most with some. It is dead and has been dead for years.

It dead and gone, sorry girls, no knight in shining armour for you anymore.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.