Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 26, 2010 3:47 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

No thread for this episode yet? o_O With one of the biggest rejections in anime history? I'm slightly disappointed now, I had settled quite peacefully into seeing this show as a shoujo, and now this :/ I wonder where it'll go from here. I understand Shuurei's sentiments - being the emperor's wife wouldn't bring her any closer to be able to actually do something, as Ryuuki doesn't really need her as advisor anymore, and she would be reduced to bearing him children and stay in the background. There stills seems to be a difference in their maturity levels, too, and I guess she hasn't really seen him as a man (yet). Still, where's my romance??

But a woman and a kid governing such a difficult country? I don't know. After all the uproar of her getting to be a government official and seeing that she hasn't really had any experience in dealing with political intrigue yet it seems to be an unwise move. Why didn't Ensei get to be governor now that he's passed the exam? And why am I trying to make sense out of a bishounen show? Probably just because they took my romance away >:(

I don't know how to deal with this anime anymore. Hrmph.
CrackityJonesOct 26, 2010 4:02 PM
Jun 5, 2011 8:09 PM

Aug 2008
Haha, I love it. I love series where women put their personal desires over what their peers want of them.

Frankly, the only way I could see Shuurei and Ryuuki together is if he gave up his throne (which seems like could possibly happen in the final novel, volume 17, to be released next month). He never really wanted to be king in the first place. To truly show that he was a worthy king for the country, the option should have been provided for him initially to be able to walk out. Advisor Sho never gave him that option. Ryuuki's entire reason for wanting to become a worthy king had to do with Shuurei. As such, whether or not he performed his duties well, his reasons weren't for the people. In comparison, Shuurei is more pure in her intentions.

I could see a relationship where she's a government official and he's the stay-at-home husband/father. Seems like it would suit him.

But what do I know? I just know I enjoyed the episode.
Jun 26, 2012 2:02 PM

Apr 2009
CrackityJones said:
And why am I trying to make sense out of a bishounen show? Probably just because they took my romance away >:(

LOL, I'm starting to feel that way since I feel bad for Ryuuki, Shuurei just turned into a career woman. X(
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 5, 2012 7:02 PM
Nov 2010
The scene when Shuurei rejects Ryuuki just broke my heart :'( [I am sooo angry with her - Ryuuki loves her so much and she doesn't even care about his love!!]

Plus, Shuurei hasn't really shown any interest in any guy at all - uuuggh, I wanna see some romance, omg!! =.=
Jul 31, 2012 8:12 AM

May 2008
I have to agree with you, guys. Even though I couldn't possibly think that Shuurei would return Ryuuki's feelings since she haven't shown any affections for him at all, I felt quite disappointed with the rejection. I feel so bad for Ryuuk nowi.
But despite this, I still like Shuurei too and I hope for some development between her and Ryuuki.
Sep 30, 2012 4:45 AM
Oct 2009
The series is going into a totally different direction that what I'd thought.. unless there's a time skip or Shuurei comes back for some reason, idk what course the story will take.. I knew Ryuuki would kiss her again xP but I don't like the idea of her other uncle trying to get her to marry Kouyuu... meh let's see what happens from now on.
Aug 21, 2013 9:01 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Yeah it was a fairly Shuurei-thing to do when she rejected him. But I don't like her rejection that much. She said that she didn't become a government official to be his wife, but that's clearly what Ryuuki's telling her not to do--to bot look at him as the emperor but as a normal man. I don't see her falling in love anytime soon, but the fact that Ryuuki told her to promise him that when she gets a husband she should tell him, doesn't that mean if Ryuuki was a normal guy he would have a chance, since she will probably get married one day? I would have preferred if she just ended her explanation for rejecting him with a "I don't like you in that way" instead of adding on that she wants to support him as an official and not a consort.

Anyways, that scene when Ryuuki gives Seiran the sword, I was smiling the whole time because it's like Seiran is getting his sword back, but the others don't know :D
Oct 13, 2013 1:58 AM

Jan 2008
tingy said:
Yeah it was a fairly Shuurei-thing to do when she rejected him. But I don't like her rejection that much. She said that she didn't become a government official to be his wife, but that's clearly what Ryuuki's telling her not to do--to bot look at him as the emperor but as a normal man. I don't see her falling in love anytime soon, but the fact that Ryuuki told her to promise him that when she gets a husband she should tell him, doesn't that mean if Ryuuki was a normal guy he would have a chance, since she will probably get married one day? I would have preferred if she just ended her explanation for rejecting him with a "I don't like you in that way" instead of adding on that she wants to support him as an official and not a consort.

Anyways, that scene when Ryuuki gives Seiran the sword, I was smiling the whole time because it's like Seiran is getting his sword back, but the others don't know :D

Yeah same here I do feel really bad for Seiran I really really hope that in the end they do end up together bc they truly make the perfect couple in my eyes.
May 28, 2014 6:55 AM

Aug 2013
I actually feel like I'm going to enjoy this show less because of that rejection. While it's understandable that Shuurei wants to pursue her dreams of being a proper official, I thought her way of rejecting Ryuuki was harsh. Maybe I like Ryuuki too much but seriously, couldn't she have phrased it better (like tingy said)? Much as I like Seiran but he's just a big brother figure. I'm going to be very disappointed if this story goes down that route >__>
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jun 26, 2014 1:10 AM

Jul 2009
Another amazing episode!

I actually thought they wouldn't be able to top the last one for awhile, but this is definitely one of the best for sure!!

Shame they still haven't found the Sa province ring, but it was smart for Ryuuki to assigned new leaders for the Sa province due to it's situation.

No one expected that not only two leaders would be born, but the birth of assistant to these leaders as well!!

Seems Hakumeki got his wished and is now heading to the same department as Kouyuu.

Kansho and Bakuya! It amazing how Ryuuki gives back the same sword Seiran gave when he was a child. Now Seiran is an official as well as having the legendary sword with him :)

Tbh i don't mind the rejection(despite being feel bad for Ryuuki). And i agree Shurei didn't became an official just to marry Ryuuki. She wants to pursue her dreams of being an official. I'm glad that Ryuuki won't force himself to Shurei, but rather he will remind her that he will always lover her no matter what happens.

Now that's what i call being a man. Wish more people are like Ryuuki who respects a woman's decision instead of being heart broken or even worse killing them just because they rejected you.

That kiss though!! How many times did Ryuuki pulled a fast one on Shurei!?!?! At least Shurei was serious this time :P

I hope Seiran and Ensei will protect both Shurei and Eigetsu on their journey. Seems Ryuuki and the other won't be seeing them for awhile T___T

I hope Shoka is okay though!

Love this episode! makes me teary as hell ;)
Nov 4, 2015 1:27 PM
Dec 2014
The reason why Shurei and Eigetsu get the job is because 1 nobody who can be trusted wants to do it 2 the people who could do it can't be trusted.

This is not so strange. Being the governor of a province is a powerful position that gets you money and a army.
Jul 19, 2022 11:43 AM

Feb 2012
I wasn't disappointed by the rejection because I have faith in anime logic: we've already seen 3 kisses, and Shuurei hasn't really expressed interest in anyone else, so of course they'll have to end up together. They're just taking the long way around, which is fine, maybe even more interesting this way. Shuurei will prove herself and then she'll be able to stand next to the emperor as a capable ruler.

While watching this I realized that Shuurei's father resembles Garak from Deep Space Nine. The speaking style, the constantly smiling eyes, his mild-mannered way of behaving and working as a librarian, while still being The Black Wolf.
Jul 18, 2023 6:12 PM

Jul 2014
Contrary to most opinions here, I think the rejection was understandable and not too harsh, it feels like Shurei is just trying to avoid leading the king on because she doesn't share his feelings. Like they mentioned in the anime, both characters are very stubborn and they both want their wishes to come true, so both being pushy about it is to be expected.
Besides that, Shurei has always wished to be an official, studied for it basically all her life, always thought it would be an impossible dream to achieve and now finally she has done it, it wouldn't make any sense for her character to throw everything away just to be with the king. I personally feel like this anime will take the long route and turn Shurei into an amazing person of great use to her country before she can turn anyone's way. Maybe once she has her own position and achievements she will finally pay attention to the king (or Seiran tehe(although unlikely ໒( •́ ∧ •̀ )७ ) or kouyuu (also unlikely)).
korogoroJul 18, 2023 6:16 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Saiunkoku Monogatari Episode 33 Discussion

tofei - Jun 28, 2012

5 by Bidoof_PMD-EOS »»
Mar 22, 7:47 AM

» Which other anime feature an official as the protagonist ?

KingSunWukong - Jan 24

1 by Amuvlet »»
Mar 5, 8:07 AM

Poll: » Saiunkoku Monogatari Episode 3 Discussion

bluegummiworms - Jan 8, 2009

16 by agricheria »»
Mar 3, 4:38 AM

Poll: » Saiunkoku Monogatari Episode 35 Discussion

yuzuru19 - Jun 14, 2009

32 by savvyg »»
Feb 16, 2023 5:22 PM

Poll: » Saiunkoku Monogatari Episode 37 Discussion

yuzuru19 - Jun 29, 2009

9 by Preachee »»
Feb 6, 2023 4:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.