Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (35) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 3, 2010 9:39 PM

Jul 2008
i used to use the site when it was illegal and the early stages of legal when Strike Witches was simulcasted but then found torrenting/downloading better then waiting and using like Horriblesubs instead and such since i do appreciate what they are doing i just rather avoid streaming. the wait for non paying members is a lot longer then it once was but i personally have no issues regarding their subs since most of the time if they have something i grab Horriblesubs rips since i find them more trustworthy then the bulk of fansubbers nowadays with so many good groups dead now such as Eclipse for most recent..so i for one am not a fan of the site in general but appreciate what they do and am glad they do what they do.
Oct 4, 2010 12:16 AM

Aug 2009
Crunchyroll was a great site. I got loads of my C/J/K - doramas off it. But, it's been very long I stopped depending on it.
We are the United. Even in defeat we stand united.

Oct 4, 2010 12:28 AM
Sep 2010
Crunchyroll in my opinion is just a business trying to survive in the times of anime, while yes they did things they shouldn't off as many others have done in the past they are now trying to bring anime to the people via streaming in a legal way seeing as companies in Japan have disliked fan subs and torrents (not all) and the govt is cracking down on pirating and downloading, so crunchyroll now licenses the animes to bring to fans.

For me streaming is like my only option because of slow shared college internet so when I have down time CR is where I go to watch and I do have a subscription because I want to watch my weekly anime as its released such as Naruto, Bleach (yes i watch those), Faily tale, new season animes like Super Robot, Sora no, and Actually Panties and Stocking. Hopefully this can try to please everyone eventually as other companies will grow from it
Oct 4, 2010 8:50 AM

Nov 2009
It was convenient being able to watch the complete Eyeshield 21 series on Crunchyroll, so I do like the site. Although, I don't have a paid account, I just watch the free series on the site.

I do like to buy anime DvDs though, but I do try to wait until their decent priced, I'd rather wait then buy something the moment it comes out for a higher price.
Oct 4, 2010 8:59 AM

Dec 2007
So I hate CR now! Kill me with rocks like a witch! Jeez, so it's my decision if I hate it or not and none of has the right to juge me (some idiot said that those who hate it are "trolls"). So why do I hate it? (for others I don't know, I can explain only my oppinion)

First of all what they did was (yes indeed in their right and I believe the right thing to do) just so stupid, the whole "delete all animes" thing and "pay if you wanna watch" stuff. It all seems to me like in few years I'll have to pay someone to breath. Also I think they didn't do it because it was right or so but just because like everyone else they just do everything for money.
So what now? If you're underage or just don't have the opportunity to pay (stuff like low budget and stuff) you don't get to watch your fav shows? Well that's just stupid.

When all that stuff happened I was still underage so I didn't have all that is needed to pay them, even if I wanted to. Besides now when I have everything I need I'd never pay them (think of me as cheap, or selfish, or whatever you want, but I live only with my little sister so I have to take care of her. And she'd never stay hungry cuz of animes)!

Then comes the people on the site! (well atleast then...duno for now) If you have less than 10 000 CR points or whatever it was your oppinion is not worth paying attention :D Most of them were so full of themselfs...I just got sick of it.
So that's how I got to hate CR!

Here I don't need to pay to listen/watch/read/download my favourite music/movies/shows/animes/manga etc. I open the site and download or just open online. So I was infinitely disgusted when they ruined the site. But still yeah, I'm aware of the reason this kinda stuff happens(not only with sites)...

But there's always a place for everyone...since I won't lick their a*ses and pour money I need in theyr throats I found plenty of new sites where I can watch and download for free.
Oct 4, 2010 9:18 AM
Mar 2009
Crunchyroll has some stuff going for it: it supports the content creators, provides an ad-hoc streaming experience (good for exploring anime).

Unfortunately, Crunchroll seriously censors their forums, largely to stop people from complaining about their pay service in a public area on their site.

Crunchroll advertises "HD streams", but in reality they just upscale 480p stuff (is that still the case? I looked recently and it seemed that it was). So you use more bandwidth to get the same result, and pay for the privilege.

Also, by licensing content for distribution state-side, they're dissuading some groups from subbing the same content. This rouses the ire of the fansub consuming public. Why go stream something from CR when you can have an HD encode saved to your HDD with superior subs and karaoke?
Oct 4, 2010 11:50 AM

Apr 2010
Meh, its a much more mainstream community than MAL i think (not that mal doesn't have its fair share, im just saying the ratio of crazed fanboys to socially inept critics is better here).

I still visit crunchyroll, but only to chat with a couple friends that I've made there. All my viewing is done elsewhere.
Oct 4, 2010 12:07 PM

May 2010
because im not wasting money on non HD video.
Oct 4, 2010 12:31 PM
Jul 2008
Well let see because it shit over there. It stupid to pay to watch video.
HellobeeOct 4, 2010 1:08 PM
Oct 4, 2010 5:37 PM
Apr 2010
It's true the community sucks. Asako believe me it is ten times worse than MAL. It's swarming with young children with grammar problems who only know Naruto, there's not even enough adults and/or trolls to balance out the community. 15 minutes browsing the threads you'll know what I mean.
Oct 4, 2010 8:06 PM
Sep 2010
Facehell said:

Yea, it's not like you'd ever want to support the creators of series you love or anything....
Oct 4, 2010 11:24 PM

Jul 2010
ZenErik said:
Facehell said:

Yea, it's not like you'd ever want to support the creators of series you love or anything....

Do you have a bunch of those phrases in a .txt file and just paste them into the reply box whenever you feel like posting on MAL?
Oct 5, 2010 12:31 AM

Feb 2008
singAlong said:
ZenErik said:
Facehell said:

Do you have a bunch of those phrases in a .txt file and just paste them into the reply box whenever you feel like posting on MAL?

I just wonder why someone like him, who obviously hates fansubs, is here at MAL. He should be at ANN.
Oct 5, 2010 1:52 AM
Apr 2008
I hate what they did to their old members and "fans", I never myself, but A lot of people provided the founder with a **** load of money, and then he stabs them in the back by turning "official".

Not only that but he tried to justify the fact he charged people, even though he was stealing the content and charging people for it.
Oct 5, 2010 4:25 AM

Nov 2007
I don't really care for streaming and after checking out the site itself there's not much on there I'd really want to watch. I don't hate CR, but I don't have any interest in it either.
Oct 5, 2010 4:56 AM

Aug 2010
feder said:
I don't really care for streaming and after checking out the site itself there's not much on there I'd really want to watch. I don't hate CR, but I don't have any interest in it either.

It's true that sometimes they don't show some series I want to watch but sometimes they do show something I do want to watch, so I like them.
Oct 5, 2010 5:44 AM

Oct 2008
I don't hate cr really, it's just that I don't use the site because the videos don't load properly so whats the point if I can't watch the videos. I do stream from funimation though.
Oct 5, 2010 7:41 AM

Apr 2009
I watch quite a few of my shows on that site- I just occasionally prefer to stream over download if I can't find a torrent w/out a virus or I don't know if I'll like a show. And that way I can check it out while supporting the creators.

I don't bother with the forums, though.
Oct 5, 2010 10:43 AM

Nov 2007
prismheart said:
feder said:

It's true that sometimes they don't show some series I want to watch but sometimes they do show something I do want to watch, so I like them.

Well, that's good for you. ^^

I think another reason I wouldn't is because if I'm going to pay money for animu, I'd rather have physical copies of it that I can watch on my TV. I don't particularly like watching things on my computer, so why would I want to pay to do it when I could just buy the DVDs instead?

@Sweetpea: As far as I know, I've never gotten a virus from downloading anime via torrents. What kind of sites were you downloading from? O.o
Oct 5, 2010 3:57 PM

Nov 2009
I think the general idea behind paying for crunchyroll is the simulcasting, you know you can watch it as it airs in Japan, and pay for it as you would a television subscription.

So saying you would should just buy the DVDs isn't all ways applicable.
Oct 5, 2010 5:03 PM

Apr 2009
feder said:
@Sweetpea: As far as I know, I've never gotten a virus from downloading anime via torrents. What kind of sites were you downloading from? O.o

It was mostly the sites that I got the torrents from- I have had a few that are generally reliable for a while now, but there were a few years where downloading was likely to crash my computer. But I have also have had incidents with buggy torrents from... anywhere. They're sort of random when and who I get them from.

But a lot of the series that I watch on Crunchyroll- I don't pay anything for them. I mean, I would if I wanted the simulcasting, but I am too cheap for that. But most of the series that aren't being simulcast.... totally free.
Oct 5, 2010 5:20 PM

Aug 2007
edandfredyall said:
I see a lot that people hate crunchyroll. I've never actually used it but I was thinking of watching some shows on their but everyone says it's the worst thing ever. I want to know why because im kinda on the fence :/

1) They have crappy subs

2) Most countries other than the U.S. and Canada are blocked out. Which makes it pretty much useless. Hulu and Funimation video are like this too.

3) They are hypocrites. They use to have fansubs and were basically "Fansubs are good" fast forward 2 years and that changed to "Fansubs are bad".

ZenErik said:
People hate Crunchyroll because they are looking to justify their stealing. Seems that some people will use any excuse to stream/download fansubs instead of at least getting a few cents to the creators. I do not understand these types of "fans".

Except for the fact that Copyright Infringement is not stealing.

Jigero said:
Why pay for crappy streams when I can steal better quality?

Also if you where gonna pay for that crap, why not just buy DVDs, or get a subscription to Netflix.

Seriously Jigero? When did you start calling copyright infringement stealing?

Phyleron said:
CR earned it's bad reputation in the past. It's changed a lot, but reputations don't fade quickly.

1. They were actual thieves, earning profit from streaming anime illegally. Most of the anime community follows fansubs of unlicensed series, where a free translation service is provided for sharing a series among fellow fans. The DVDRip community is separate from the fansubbers, and even then the rippers usually encourage financially supporting series you like.

Uh what? There are many fansubbers who sub licensed series.

ZenErik said:
I've noticed a few posts stating Crunchyroll not doing DVDs as a negative. Surely you've heard that they'll be re-releasing 5 Centimeters Per Second by now. Distributed by Bandai Entertainment. If this is successful, I assume that there will be more to come.

This is disgusting. They could get better quality from some fansub group subbing.

Asako said:

This is funny for two reasons: a) MAL is seen as one of the worst anime communities around. I'm not sure what CR is like since I've not been there, but I find it hard to believe MAL can be much better.

So what is exactly said about MAL on these other sites? What makes MAL so bad?
Is it because most members support fansubbing/scanlating?

FullMetalPrinny said:

For me streaming is like my only option because of slow shared college internet so when I have down time CR is where I go to watch and I do have a subscription because I want to watch my weekly anime as its released such as Naruto, Bleach (yes i watch those), Faily tale, new season animes like Super Robot, Sora no, and Actually Panties and Stocking. Hopefully this can try to please everyone eventually as other companies will grow from it

You could just watch those fansubbed.
Oct 5, 2010 5:26 PM

Jan 2008
I don't dislike Crunchyroll and can be willing to pay for them. It's just there isn't a whole lot for me to justify and plus, sometimes I don't like a bit of censorship, which can go on in some anime such as censored scenes, etc.

But I hate crunchyroll before then. I mean, really. If anyone has paid Crunchyroll before the officials for your fix of animes, then you are literally idiots. None of it was going to the creators and instead, was feeding it to the greedy sods. For the life of me, I cannot understand what was good about Crunchyroll before then apart from having a lot more content and even then, it wasn't legal.

I mean, fuck. People love anime, but they don't want to support them? I am still under belief that a lot of anime fans are still downright rotten who pull out the "I'm too poor card" as a excuse for pirating. If there is an option for a legal means, then take it. If not, then download your episode of Shinrei. But don't complain when somehow, all these legal options start to close because you complained about shitty translation or 'it's a week late'.
Oct 5, 2010 8:00 PM

Sep 2010
I've never actually used Crunchy Roll to watch anime. I have noticed, however, that no one on the forum knows how to spell.
Oct 6, 2010 10:57 AM
Dec 2009
You've purchased Anime Membership - 3 Month (Non-recurring)~

You can now enjoy extra high quality videos and other premium membership benefits.
This membership was a one-time payment and does not renew automatically. You can check the status of your account here.

By the way, we've created a special Premium Members only group here. Feel free to join this group to discuss any Premium Membership related issues. Also, feel free to contact support@crunchyroll.com if you need anything!

Thanks for supporting Crunchyroll!

Yay.
Oct 6, 2010 11:15 AM

Jul 2010
Off topic, but to Sweetpea: All this while I also never got any virus, but I almost always download from BakaBT or Nyaa, or directly from the fansubbers site, so you might want to do the same to prevent viruses.
Oct 6, 2010 11:35 AM

Jun 2010
I've recently signed up to them due to someone i know using the site so i thought "why the hell not?" ...seems that its not as great as i thought =/ Where else can you get HQ anime other then CR?
>_<
Oct 6, 2010 11:39 AM

Aug 2007
QysteiN said:
You've purchased Anime Membership - 3 Month (Non-recurring)~

You can now enjoy extra high quality videos and other premium membership benefits.
This membership was a one-time payment and does not renew automatically. You can check the status of your account here.

By the way, we've created a special Premium Members only group here. Feel free to join this group to discuss any Premium Membership related issues. Also, feel free to contact support@crunchyroll.com if you need anything!

Thanks for supporting Crunchyroll!

Yay.

That's definitely no yay.
Oct 6, 2010 11:51 AM

Jul 2010
Dannielle said:
I've recently signed up to them due to someone i know using the site so i thought "why the hell not?" ...seems that its not as great as i thought =/ Where else can you get HQ anime other then CR?

Torrent? Go to the right place then you can even get 720p or 1080p Blu Ray rip.
Oct 6, 2010 12:08 PM

Jun 2010
RedSuisei said:
Dannielle said:

Oh, fantastic :) thanks I did consider torrents but i just wasn't sure, cause of virus & the like.
>_<
Oct 12, 2010 12:03 PM

Aug 2007
Is it true that Crunchyroll censors anime?
Oct 12, 2010 7:51 PM

Jul 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
Is it true that Crunchyroll censors anime?

not that i have seen but their video is just from the censored airing's of series that have them that they pick up since they simulcast..therefore they don't wait for the uncut version to air which usually occurs after its initial airing.
Oct 12, 2010 8:52 PM

Jul 2008
I don't see why people would hate it

Everything is free to watch unlicensed anime, except on HD
Community is not that bad
You can make groups and such

So? What's there to hate?
Oct 12, 2010 9:06 PM

Aug 2007
johnkx said:

Did you read any of the posts in this thread?
Oct 12, 2010 10:26 PM
Jun 2008
i read to BOO the crunchyroll they barely show an ENGLISH audio animes.

where the ENGLISH AUDIO to hear?
LIVING THE GS-LIFESTYLE
MR.GS
JUST ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD
THE KLAC OF ANIME WORLD
you either with ANIME http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 or against the anime
Oct 14, 2010 1:19 AM

Jul 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
johnkx said:

Did you read any of the posts in this thread?

Sorry I didn't have time to scan all those pages :|
Oct 14, 2010 2:32 AM
May 2009
I know of crunchy roll, but i don't like to stream, since I got a Xvid player for my 42" so I prefer downloading fansubs. Horrible subs seem to get their anime from crunchy roll, so if people want to download crunchy roll subs they can.
Oct 14, 2010 3:19 AM
Sep 2010
Used to love CR. But I can't afford to subscribe to it, so I'm one of the free moochers that checks out a series once in a while on there. Hey, at least it's not AnimeCrave... *shudders*
Oct 14, 2010 3:24 AM
Sep 2010
Joo said:
cr for the iPhone + iTouch and other smartphones.
That's a win.

Not in my opinion. I got the app a few months ago, and it was so slow and clunky. =.= If your Wi-Fi isn't that great (like mine) you're up a creek without a paddle... :(
Oct 14, 2010 12:53 PM

Jun 2007
ENTER_KLACMAN said:
i read to BOO the crunchyroll they barely show an ENGLISH audio animes.

where the ENGLISH AUDIO to hear?
That's mainly because they focus on new shows in Japan, and don't have the time or resources to do English dubs for them. Check Funimation's website, The Anime Network, and various companies' YouTube channels (like Bandai/Funimation) if you want dubbed streams.

RedSuisei said:
720p I can understand, but 1080p? How many anime are actually animated in or worth 1080p? 1080p = mostly placebo-quality upscales, for people with 1080p monitors to feel good about their purchase, when taking 720p files at half the size and resizing them to 1080p will give roughly the same results. Okay, I can maybe see the point of 1080p on shows like Gundam 00, Macross Frontier, or Code Geass. But come on... White Album? Kiss X Sis TV? Ladies vs. Butlers? Really guys? Heck, on some shows like Magical Index or Sorakake girl, I see people questioning if they're even worth 720p, let alone 1080p. [/OT Rant]
ZalisOct 15, 2010 4:17 PM
Oct 15, 2010 3:51 PM
Mar 2009
FrenchieV said:
Joo said:
cr for the iPhone + iTouch and other smartphones.
That's a win.

Not in my opinion. I got the app a few months ago, and it was so slow and clunky. =.= If your Wi-Fi isn't that great (like mine) you're up a creek without a paddle... :(

it runs great on mine.maybe you should try to wait till it has loaded some amount of video.
Oct 16, 2010 4:41 PM

Aug 2007
"Don't get me wrong, I love Crunchyroll and everything they've done for anime,"

I saw that in the Ask Answerman thing on ANN. That made me laugh. Crunchyroll has done jack shit for anime.
Oct 16, 2010 8:54 PM
Jul 2018
Bleh, Crunchyroll.

I don't mind 'em, and I'm even a paid subscriber there, but there are better legal streaming sites out there.

One thing that really bugs me is how they rarely give people any notice before their licenses lapse. One day shows like Aoi Hana and Chrno Crusade would be there, and the next they'd be gone without much if any notice.
Oct 16, 2010 9:34 PM
Sep 2010
CR is the sole manifestation of everything I hate in the world. Mainly streaming.

I hate streaming. There's no good reason to do it unless you're living in a third-world country with no decent internet access.

I don't want to push my opinions onto others, but streaming sucks balls. However, if you're into watered-down, artifact-infested quality, then more power to you.

IRC/DDL/Torrent, whatever floats your boat. That's the way to go.

"Oh, but I can't find so and so anime for download. Streaming is my only option."
Bull. You're simply not looking hard enough.

Dannielle said:
I did consider torrents but i just wasn't sure, cause of virus & the like.

Pardon my French, but are you new to the internet?

Zalis said:
720p I can understand, but 1080p? How many anime are actually animated in or worth 1080p? 1080p = mostly placebo-quality upscales, for people with 1080p monitors to feel good about their purchase, when taking 720p files at half the size and resizing them to 1080p will give roughly the same results.

I don't deny this. I'm an owner of a 30" monitor that runs on 2560x1600 resolution. Feels good.
Oct 16, 2010 9:48 PM
May 2010
it's those goddamn winterfresh and starburst commericials! for one, there's the commericals, and 2, always the same! at the least vary the sponsors more. otherwise, you could avoid commericials using torrents or other streaming sites.
Oct 16, 2010 10:11 PM

Aug 2007
Lenfried said:
CR is the sole manifestation of everything I hate in the world. Mainly streaming.

I hate streaming. There's no good reason to do it unless you're living in a third-world country with no decent internet access.

I don't want to push my opinions onto others, but streaming sucks balls. However, if you're into watered-down, artifact-infested quality, then more power to you.

"Oh, but I can't find so and so anime for download. Streaming is my only option."

Dannielle said:
I did consider torrents but i just wasn't sure, cause of virus & the like.

Pardon my French, but are you new to the internet?

Zalis said:
720p I can understand, but 1080p? How many anime are actually animated in or worth 1080p? 1080p = mostly placebo-quality upscales, for people with 1080p monitors to feel good about their purchase, when taking 720p files at half the size and resizing them to 1080p will give roughly the same results.

I don't deny this. I'm an owner of a 30" monitor that runs on 2560x1600 resolution. Feels good.

I need to get something so I can watch anime on my tv from my computer.
Oct 16, 2010 10:25 PM

Sep 2009
I use crunchyroll to watch stuff online when I want to cover a TON of anime FAST. Nothing wrong with that. Its just megavideo i hate.
Tondemonai Fansubs
http://tondemonaifs.wordpress.com/
Big bag of loli desktop accessories
http://brigade.baka-wolf.com/showthread.php?t=15413

Oct 16, 2010 10:47 PM
Sep 2010
Drunk_Samurai said:
I need to get something so I can watch anime on my tv from my computer.

My 30" monitor isn't a TV monitor. It's an actual computer monitor.

As for connecting your computer to your TV, you have so many options: S-Video, VGA, DVI, DVI-HDMI, etc. Google it.
Oct 16, 2010 11:21 PM

Sep 2009
Why cant you just get one of those USB tv tuner things to catch tv waves on your comp, or just download/stream?
Tondemonai Fansubs
http://tondemonaifs.wordpress.com/
Big bag of loli desktop accessories
http://brigade.baka-wolf.com/showthread.php?t=15413

Oct 16, 2010 11:32 PM

Aug 2010
Lenfried said:

Or you're on a school network that actually blocks torrents and will hunt you down since you can't get away from them:(
Although I do find ways around it hahahahahaha.
Pages (35) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

61 by Ricchan__ »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - Apr 24

28 by LenRea »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » hate watching ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 14

50 by alshu »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 6 hours ago

24 by Ricchan__ »»
27 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 2 hours ago

11 by Horizon248 »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.