Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (35) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 23, 2010 9:02 PM

Jul 2008
I love you, Zalis. Took the words from my mouth.

The only legit reason a person could hate crunchyroll for is because they used to be a company that did some bad shit and turned legit. I personally don't pay for a subscription, because I don't care for the titles they have and I really, really hate watching anime on my computer. I have nothing against them other than their ugly site layout.
Oct 23, 2010 9:55 PM

Aug 2007
Benevean said:

I suppose I should apologise for that. It was my intention to poke fun at that particular viewpoint rather than to attack you personally, but that's how it turned out. I'm sorry.

Although, you did seem to have something of a cocky attitude about what you said. I'm not sure if that was your intention, but that is how I read it.

Anyway, the long and short of what I was saying is, it's better to make anime as widely available as possible.

Particularly as you seem to be concerned about people showing disdain towards Otaku. I think the best way to avoid that problem, is to help make it more accessible to people.

Leaving in honorifics would still make it accessible to casual watchers. Same with translation notes.

VongolaXEspada said:
wardy said:
i dont see why people even say paying for high quality streams.
when you can just torrent the weekly 720p version that usually always comes out and is subbed at the same time as the 480p.
Then if your a streamer due to space on hdd issues.
1) Buy Bigger Hdd
or
2) Delete the episode after you watch

I prefer it because it helps the mangaka,Directors and Studios of the anime. Anime is going to die soon if people don't buy volumes and dvds of it.

Anime and manga is never going to die.

ArtRodriguez said:
I love you, Zalis. Took the words from my mouth.

The only legit reason a person could hate crunchyroll for is because they used to be a company that did some bad shit and turned legit. I personally don't pay for a subscription, because I don't care for the titles they have and I really, really hate watching anime on my computer. I have nothing against them other than their ugly site layout.

I see you failed to read Phyleron's post on page 2.
Drunk_SamuraiOct 23, 2010 10:25 PM
Oct 23, 2010 10:04 PM
Jul 2018
they get wayyy too few anime per season
Oct 23, 2010 10:45 PM

Oct 2010
VongolaXEspada said:
Kinoholic said:
Because downloading > streaming no matter what the circumstance.

To Watch it legally and to help the industry so anime doesn't die

That is never going to happen as long as there are mangaka who actually care about their work.

Most mangaka and animators already do it for love, because it doesn't make you rich and the work environment can be hellish.

If they don't, then there is no real point in supporting a half-hearted attempt.

Many of the greatest writers and artists in history never made a single cent (rin?) from their work, yet that did not deter them because they created for the love of creation and what their work represented.

It's the same with any art or entertainment. The only thing you are doing by buying a crunchyroll subscription (or buy a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/Video Game) is lining the pockets of the "agents," distributors, and industry "professionals" who only seek to make a profit off of the work from actual artists and naive consumers.
Oct 24, 2010 12:56 AM

Aug 2008
It may be awesome but in my country they don't let me watch many anime.

But I watched Gintama with great quality.

Oct 24, 2010 2:31 AM

Dec 2008
I cant say I hate them but I can say they are "not" good.By not good I mean I dont like the job they do well there can be ppl who like

Oct 24, 2010 3:54 AM

Jul 2010
Drunk_Samurai said:

You also have to be Japanese in order to be an otaku. Anybody who calls themselves and otaku and is not Japanese is just a weeaboo.

Since when? I believe Otaku is a term used by Japanese to call anyone who has an obsesive hobby towards something, that they tend spend most of their times at home because of their hobby (hence the term 'Otaku', which means 'Home'). Although nowadays in Japan, even if someone is not a hikikomori, as long as he/she still has an obsessive hobby towards something, then he/she is an Otaku. It doesn't have anything to do with being Japanese or not. Even my friend who went to Japan for college is called 'Gundam Otaku' by his Japanese friends.

Drunk_Samurai said:
Leaving in honorifics would still make it accessible to casual watchers. Same with translation notes.

Like this?

Zalis said:

My only question is, "Why do people hate Crunchyroll rips so much?" On most group comments for individual shows, people always say things like "Just CR rips," "Not a real fansub group," "Doesn't even do their own TL, just rips shit from CR." If that's the standard, then shouldn't groups like Thora, niizk, KAA, Coalgirls, and every dual-audio ripper, fansub remuxer, and any other releaser that doesn't do their own translations suffer the same treatment? Of course, if MAL didn't take the myopic stance of labeling every unauthorized anime releaser a "fansub group," we might not have this problem.

I believe most of these are caused because people hates CR subs. THORA sometimes used official subs, but they often used subs by another group which many people seem to like. And they usually did their own changes to the original script to improve them. Maybe not really improve but at least made the subs more likable for many people (like reversing name order back to japanese order.) Coalgirls seems to always use fansubs. KAA, I don't really know much but most of their release that I have always use fansubs as well. niizk, I only have Spice and Wolf S1 from them and although I don't know where the subs came from, I know that the subs are fairly more accurate than most fansubs for Spice and Wolf.

Also, not many people actually get the Blu Ray or DVD version. This is usually only people who cares about video quality. Most people will get the fastest release possible, and CR rips does this. That's why not many people complains on the releases you've stated above, but a hell lot complains on CR rips.

Another one is because the ones you've stated generally have better vdeo/audio quality since they use DVD/Blu ray as a source, so people don't care much about the TL as long as they are understandable.

EDIT:Oh and also, people would always try to look for reasons to hate what they hate. In this case, anything associated with CR will be hated by CR haters.
RedSuiseiOct 24, 2010 4:12 AM
Oct 24, 2010 3:58 AM

Jul 2009
I dont hate it, I even subscribed for a couple months but the shows they stream are nothing I'm looking for.
Oct 24, 2010 7:55 AM

Aug 2009
Actually, I don't care for them since I'd never watch any of their translated anime, not to mention it's 'not available in your region' for me.
Oct 24, 2010 11:32 AM

Aug 2007
RedSuisei said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

You also have to be Japanese in order to be an otaku. Anybody who calls themselves and otaku and is not Japanese is just a weeaboo.

Since when? I believe Otaku is a term used by Japanese to call anyone who has an obsesive hobby towards something, that they tend spend most of their times at home because of their hobby (hence the term 'Otaku', which means 'Home'). Although nowadays in Japan, even if someone is not a hikikomori, as long as he/she still has an obsessive hobby towards something, then he/she is an Otaku. It doesn't have anything to do with being Japanese or not. Even my friend who went to Japan for college is called 'Gundam Otaku' by his Japanese friends.

Drunk_Samurai said:

Like this?

Zalis said:

My only question is, "Why do people hate Crunchyroll rips so much?" On most group comments for individual shows, people always say things like "Just CR rips," "Not a real fansub group," "Doesn't even do their own TL, just rips shit from CR." If that's the standard, then shouldn't groups like Thora, niizk, KAA, Coalgirls, and every dual-audio ripper, fansub remuxer, and any other releaser that doesn't do their own translations suffer the same treatment? Of course, if MAL didn't take the myopic stance of labeling every unauthorized anime releaser a "fansub group," we might not have this problem.

I believe most of these are caused because people hates CR subs. THORA sometimes used official subs, but they often used subs by another group which many people seem to like. And they usually did their own changes to the original script to improve them. Maybe not really improve but at least made the subs more likable for many people (like reversing name order back to japanese order.) Coalgirls seems to always use fansubs. KAA, I don't really know much but most of their release that I have always use fansubs as well. niizk, I only have Spice and Wolf S1 from them and although I don't know where the subs came from, I know that the subs are fairly more accurate than most fansubs for Spice and Wolf.

Also, not many people actually get the Blu Ray or DVD version. This is usually only people who cares about video quality. Most people will get the fastest release possible, and CR rips does this. That's why not many people complains on the releases you've stated above, but a hell lot complains on CR rips.

Another one is because the ones you've stated generally have better vdeo/audio quality since they use DVD/Blu ray as a source, so people don't care much about the TL as long as they are understandable.

EDIT:Oh and also, people would always try to look for reasons to hate what they hate. In this case, anything associated with CR will be hated by CR haters.

Anybody who actually calls themselves an otaku is pretty damn stupid and do not know what it really means. That's the main point.

Most of the time translations like that only work for certain series. Like leaving nakama untranslated in One Piece.

Also I was thinking of more along the lines of explaining a pun instead of trying to Americanize it.
Oct 24, 2010 1:26 PM

Jul 2010
To be honest I fail to interpret this
Drunk_Samurai said:

You also have to be Japanese in order to be an otaku.

as this
Drunk_Samurai said:

Anybody who actually calls themselves an otaku is pretty damn stupid and do not know what it really means. That's the main point.

Anyway, there are Japanese who proudly call themselves Otaku, since they think such an obsession are an achievement in itself. Are these people stupid? Maybe. Do these people call themselves like that without knowing what the word means? I don't think so, after all, they live in the country where the term originates.

You're right that it's better to explain a pun or Japanese culture than to Americanize it, but that does not always mean fansubs that does culture-preserving will be better than official subs. On some anime with complicated story and dialogues, I'd prefer correct translation over culture-preserving any day. Not that I know how accurate CR subs are, ones that I've watched doesn't have many translation error, they do change many of the words and sentences but the meaning is still the same. But I don't know about the rest that I haven't watched.
Oct 24, 2010 2:32 PM

Jul 2009
RedSuisei said:
You're right that it's better to explain a pun or Japanese culture than to Americanize it, but that does not always mean fansubs that does culture-preserving will be better than official subs. On some anime with complicated story and dialogues, I'd prefer correct translation over culture-preserving any day. Not that I know how accurate CR subs are, ones that I've watched doesn't have many translation error, they do change many of the words and sentences but the meaning is still the same. But I don't know about the rest that I haven't watched.

I'm of the opinion that using TL notes and such to explain a pun/joke more often then not kills it. I suppose this is why a lot of people prefer localized puns/jokes.
Oct 24, 2010 2:41 PM

Jul 2010
ARXLaevatein said:
I'm of the opinion that using TL notes and such to explain a pun/joke more often then not kills it. I suppose this is why a lot of people prefer localized puns/jokes.

I do agree though, it kills the pun when you need to be explained why is that even supposed funny in the first place. But at least with a TL note that explains the pun, the second time I see it, you don't need to see TL note anymore because you already know why it is supposed to be funny. Besides, it's not like I understand US-localized puns better than Japanese in the first place, seeing I don't and have never lived in US before.

Oh and culture preservation isn't only for puns/jokes.
Oct 24, 2010 2:52 PM

Jul 2009
RedSuisei said:
I do agree though, it kills the pun when you need to be explained why is that even supposed funny in the first place. But at least with a TL note that explains the pun, the second time I see it, you don't need to see TL note anymore because you already know why it is supposed to be funny. Besides, it's not like I understand US-localized puns better than Japanese in the first place, seeing I don't and have never lived in US before.

Oh and culture preservation isn't only for puns/jokes.

I also agree. But I don't necessarily think the TL note is the way to do it. It detracts from the experience since it makes watching and reading subtitles less seamless. I've also seen some good neutral localization, so I know for a fact that localized jokes don't have to be US inclusive to be funny.
Oct 24, 2010 3:23 PM

Jul 2010
ARXLaevatein said:
I also agree. But I don't necessarily think the TL note is the way to do it. It detracts from the experience since it makes watching and reading subtitles less seamless. I've also seen some good neutral localization, so I know for a fact that localized jokes don't have to be US inclusive to be funny.

But i don't see any other way to explain Japanese cultures other than a TL Note. As for jokes/puns, you don't know how many times I have to explain localized jokes to my brother because he doesn't get it. Not that he's any better on unlocalized ones though.

Anyway, end of my OOT rant. There's another thread created recently that talks about subs accuracy.
Oct 24, 2010 4:51 PM
Jul 2010
nullredirect said:
VongolaXEspada said:
Kinoholic said:
Because downloading > streaming no matter what the circumstance.

That is never going to happen as long as there are mangaka who actually care about their work.

Most mangaka and animators already do it for love, because it doesn't make you rich and the work environment can be hellish.

If they don't, then there is no real point in supporting a half-hearted attempt.

Many of the greatest writers and artists in history never made a single cent (rin?) from their work, yet that did not deter them because they created for the love of creation and what their work represented.

It's the same with any art or entertainment. The only thing you are doing by buying a crunchyroll subscription (or buy a CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/Video Game) is lining the pockets of the "agents," distributors, and industry "professionals" who only seek to make a profit off of the work from actual artists and naive consumers.

Some of it goes to the mangaka and director so why don't you be quiet if you don't know what you are talking about and No mangaka need money of they would have to get a second job which would mean the manga getting canceled or put on hiatus a lot. Also that still doesn't make it right for people to watch it illegally they work their buts off making the manga/anime and people think its alright to watch onkine illegally.
Oct 24, 2010 5:26 PM
Nov 2008
RedSuisei said:

But i don't see any other way to explain Japanese cultures other than a TL Note. As for jokes/puns, you don't know how many times I have to explain localized jokes to my brother because he doesn't get it. Not that he's any better on unlocalized ones though.

Anyway, end of my OOT rant. There's another thread created recently that talks about subs accuracy.

TL Notes defeat the point of a translation in its entirety.

Japan also has the same problem with jokes that come from the West. They just don't work in Japanese, or don't make sense in their entirety due to having a different sense of humour.

Having a pun is well and dandy, but it's probably going to be a hell of a lot less funny to a Western audience in any form. I'll tell you what, leaving the pun in Japanese and slopping on a TL note never has made me go: "Ah, I see, haha". I'd just go, "Ok. Sure." It takes away the moment, the context, and the characters and just leaves you with a joke or pun that would make sense to someone born and raised Japanese.

So, anyway, I don't hate CR for trying to translate puns and jokes and the such.
Oct 24, 2010 5:41 PM

Jul 2010
Onibokusu said:
RedSuisei said:

Japan also has the same problem with jokes that come from the West. They just don't work in Japanese, or don't make sense in their entirety due to having a different sense of humour.

Having a pun is well and dandy, but it's probably going to be a hell of a lot less funny to a Western audience in any form. I'll tell you what, leaving the pun in Japanese and slopping on a TL note never has made me go: "Ah, I see, haha". I'd just go, "Ok. Sure." It takes away the moment, the context, and the characters and just leaves you with a joke or pun that would make sense to someone born and raised Japanese.

So, anyway, I don't hate CR for trying to translate puns and jokes and the such.

Yup, that's why I also said it kills the funnyness of the jokes. But hey,what I said about no other way than a TL is Japanese Culture, not the jokes/puns. Puns, generally I have less issue than jokes or cultures so I don't really need a TL for that to understand. Jokes, as I'm no Western audience, I have just as much problem with Westernized jokes as with Japanese ones. Cultures, it really sucks hard when it has to be localized to Western cultures, that's why I prefer TL notes for these.
Oct 24, 2010 5:52 PM
Nov 2008
RedSuisei said:
Onibokusu said:
RedSuisei said:

Yup, that's why I also said it kills the funnyness of the jokes. But hey,what I said about no other way than a TL is Japanese Culture, not the jokes/puns. Puns, generally I have less issue than jokes or cultures so I don't really need a TL for that to understand. Jokes, as I'm no Western audience, I have just as much problem with Westernized jokes as with Japanese ones. Cultures, it really sucks hard when it has to be localized to Western cultures, that's why I prefer TL notes for these.

Yes, but anime hasn't been Westernised for over almost a decade now.
Oct 24, 2010 6:04 PM

Aug 2007
RedSuisei said:
To be honest I fail to interpret this
Drunk_Samurai said:

You also have to be Japanese in order to be an otaku.

as this
Drunk_Samurai said:

Anyway, there are Japanese who proudly call themselves Otaku, since they think such an obsession are an achievement in itself. Are these people stupid? Maybe. Do these people call themselves like that without knowing what the word means? I don't think so, after all, they live in the country where the term originates.

You can still do correct translation and explain a pun/joke.

ARXLaevatein said:
RedSuisei said:

Since when have more people preferred localized jokes and puns over translator notes?

RedSuisei said:

Which thread is that? I only see the Sub vs Dub one.
Oct 24, 2010 6:05 PM

Jul 2010
Onibokusu said:

I don't know, since most of official subs releases I got are ones with little to no Japanese cultures involved, but I do remember redownloading some series because the official subs localized too much.

Anyway, this is really getting off topic, it's not even about CR anymore, it's only about what translations style you prefer. And talking about preferences won't really get you anywhere. I even try to make point in my earlier post that I did not dislike CR's translation style, yet people still reply as if I'm acting negative towards CR subs.

EDIT:
@Drunk: A good number of fansubs I see made a whole mess of mistakes when it comes to complicated dialogues. It's only that not many people noticed it since they have limited knowledge in Japanese that they still say it's the best even with the mistranslations. So I only have choices of either official subs with localizations but correct translations, or fansubs without localizations but sometimes mistranslations when it comes to complicated dialogues.

The thread is called 'English subs & real meaning'
RedSuiseiOct 24, 2010 6:10 PM
Oct 24, 2010 8:09 PM

Jul 2008
By TL notes you mean Japanese to English TL notes, right? Animeigo had some nice cardstock TL notes that came out with their release of Otaku no Video and it only made it funnier to look back and realize some of the jokes that went over my head.
Oct 24, 2010 11:34 PM

Aug 2007
RedSuisei said:
Onibokusu said:

I don't know, since most of official subs releases I got are ones with little to no Japanese cultures involved, but I do remember redownloading some series because the official subs localized too much.

Anyway, this is really getting off topic, it's not even about CR anymore, it's only about what translations style you prefer. And talking about preferences won't really get you anywhere. I even try to make point in my earlier post that I did not dislike CR's translation style, yet people still reply as if I'm acting negative towards CR subs.

EDIT:
@Drunk: A good number of fansubs I see made a whole mess of mistakes when it comes to complicated dialogues. It's only that not many people noticed it since they have limited knowledge in Japanese that they still say it's the best even with the mistranslations. So I only have choices of either official subs with localizations but correct translations, or fansubs without localizations but sometimes mistranslations when it comes to complicated dialogues.

The thread is called 'English subs & real meaning'

I could have sworn somewhere you said you know Japanese. Shouldn't you watch RAWs then? I also prefer more literal translations such as translating hai as yes instead of trying to make it fit the scenario.
Oct 25, 2010 1:00 AM

Jul 2010
Drunk_Samurai said:
I could have sworn somewhere you said you know Japanese. Shouldn't you watch RAWs then? I also prefer more literal translations such as translating hai as yes instead of trying to make it fit the scenario.
Sadly, my Japanese is still not that perfect, I still need subs to help with my translating process. I do watch subs while trying to translate the dialogues myself, so I often noticed mistakes in translations, which I then translate for myself. As for complicated dialogues, most of the time I also missed the translation for that part, but there are enough times that I do notice the mistakes made by fansubs for complicated dialogue (a fansub of GitS: SAC I watched was filled with these, that even with my subpar Japanese I know that the translation was wrong everywhere. Spice and Wolf also has it.), that's why I now prefer to just get official subs for these shows with complicated dialogues. So these means, saying that fansubs > official/CR subs is invalid, as both actually has their good or bad (at least from my point of view). I still like fansubs that doesn't do much localizations, but I also like official subs for their subs accuracy. And literal translations is bullshit, even the most literal fansubs will change words everywhere.

Anyway, enough talking about subs accuracy, I already said there's a thread for that. At least I already said how it is from my point of view, how I view these 2 options, reasons why I know the subs has mistakes and why I still need to watch with subs. If you got something else to ask, ask in my profile, so it won't further detract this thread.

@Art: Well, people are different, I think using TL notes or the likes kills the joke, but once understand it, the second time it appears, since I already understand the joke, that's where it became funny for me. But as you can see, there are many people with differing opinions
RedSuiseiOct 25, 2010 1:19 AM
Oct 25, 2010 2:04 AM

Jul 2008
Crunchy roll is awesome. I want to support anime because I like it, so I watch as much as I can legally.

as for subs who freaking cares but personally I hate translator notes and when they leave Japanese words in it I want to kill whoever did that. kun chan and whatever shouldn't be in subs do you know why? BECAUSE THE SUBS ARE IN ENGLISH SO WHY WOULD THEY NOT TRANSLATE IT ALL? oh you can't translate that can you so just leave it out it don't have meaning to us Americans. but what if it does? then you know japanese and can translate without subs you dumbass.

If they leave chan and stuff in why don't they leave the different levels of I in and verb endings or even better why not just leave it in japanese? there is culture in these things too oh wait cause you don't know about them so stfu.
Oct 25, 2010 10:57 AM

Aug 2007
Mow123 said:
Crunchy roll is awesome. I want to support anime because I like it, so I watch as much as I can legally.

as for subs who freaking cares but personally I hate translator notes and when they leave Japanese words in it I want to kill whoever did that. kun chan and whatever shouldn't be in subs do you know why? BECAUSE THE SUBS ARE IN ENGLISH SO WHY WOULD THEY NOT TRANSLATE IT ALL? oh you can't translate that can you so just leave it out it don't have meaning to us Americans. but what if it does? then you know japanese and can translate without subs you dumbass.

If they leave chan and stuff in why don't they leave the different levels of I in and verb endings or even better why not just leave it in japanese? there is culture in these things too oh wait cause you don't know about them so stfu.

If you supported legal anime then you wouldn't use Crunchyroll at all. Do you even know what they have done?

There's nothing wrong at all about having translator notes or leaving in honorifics. You want to kill somebody for explaining something? Also not everybody who watches anime in English is American. Honorifics have nothing to do with what you used as an example.
Oct 25, 2010 11:06 AM

Mar 2008
VongolaXEspada said:

The problem is that you don´t help the industry.

What you are helping is the American companies that have bought the rights for the Anime, not the original creators.

If you wish to help them then buy the RAW DVD´s when they come out.....

Mow123 said:
as for subs who freaking cares but personally I hate translator notes and when they leave Japanese words in it I want to kill whoever did that. kun chan and whatever shouldn't be in subs do you know why? BECAUSE THE SUBS ARE IN ENGLISH SO WHY WOULD THEY NOT TRANSLATE IT ALL?

Because it is one of the most important things in the Japanese culture?

And they never translate kun, chan or "whatever", they add it to the names as it should be done.

And for many Japanese words there is no correct translation because it means something more than or different than any English words can describe.

Nakama is one example. It means a bond stronger than friends but not as strong as family. It´s something in the middle and there is no translation for it. words like that is best left in Japanese with a TL note explaining it.

Mow123 said:
oh you can't translate that can you so just leave it out it don't have meaning to us Americans. but what if it does? then you know japanese and can translate without subs you dumbass.

Too know the meaning of Kun, sensei, Aniki etc. etc. does not mean that you know Japanese. You just know what those words represents.

I know what the meaning of Chan, Kun, sensei and those words are. But i don´t understand Japanese at all.

Mow123 said:

If you want to troll i recommend 4Chan´s /b/. They love wannabees :)

Oct 25, 2010 12:25 PM
Dec 2007
Anyien said:
VongolaXEspada said:

What you are helping is the American companies that have bought the rights for the Anime, not the original creators.

Mow123 said:
as for subs who freaking cares but personally I hate translator notes and when they leave Japanese words in it I want to kill whoever did that. kun chan and whatever shouldn't be in subs do you know why? BECAUSE THE SUBS ARE IN ENGLISH SO WHY WOULD THEY NOT TRANSLATE IT ALL?

Because it is one of the most important things in the Japanese culture?

And they never translate kun, chan or "whatever", they add it to the names as it should be done.

And for many Japanese words there is no correct translation because it means something more than or different than any English words can describe.

Nakama is one example. It means a bond stronger than friends but not as strong as family. It´s something in the middle and there is no translation for it. words like that is best left in Japanese with a TL note explaining it.

Mow123 said:
oh you can't translate that can you so just leave it out it don't have meaning to us Americans. but what if it does? then you know japanese and can translate without subs you dumbass.

Too know the meaning of Kun, sensei, Aniki etc. etc. does not mean that you know Japanese. You just know what those words represents.

I know what the meaning of Chan, Kun, sensei and those words are. But i don´t understand Japanese at all.

Mow123 said:

If you want to troll i recommend 4Chan´s /b/. They love wannabees :)
To further elaborate, I've actually bought official manga which leaves honorifics and other such words that have no official or equal translation in English. All they did was add notes at the end of the book explaining why there's no equivalent word and what it stands for. To tell the truth, TL notes should either be added at the beggining or end of the episode so they don't force you to stop the episode to read them (much in the way manga does it).

Oct 25, 2010 12:41 PM

Jul 2008
If you know the meaning of aninki and what not you do not need it in subs because you are not deaf.

Oh raws don't come out with subs. I don't understand japanese. so why would I buy it. If I understood japanese I would go to websites like nico nico douga and watch free episodes there because again I like supporting anime. the problem I have with fansubs is they put their words on it and give you the whole episode to you for free, thats stealing.

Nakama almost as close as family there I translated it. what are you going to say that it is too long? if you do Ill lol because a TL note would be way longer. I hate to break it to you but translator notes are for people who can't translate well.

A certain level of culture has to be removed for it to translate well. You would have to lose a certain level of culuture if they used sumimasen ga, chotto wouldn't you? other wise you would not understand it.

If you care about their culture that much you should learn japanese.

btw you said
Anyien said:
I thought it was a little funny because you say you don't understand any japanese but understand chan kun ect which are japanese words.

To be honest chan kun ect I don't really care too much if they leave thoes words in japanse its mainly other words, like one time I saw mizoos or something like that and I didn't know wtf that was. but if you don't stop the adding of japanese things in your english it may become a lot worse. even if it doesn't some people may not like it because they simply don't care for japanese culture that much.
Oct 25, 2010 12:48 PM

Jul 2010
Although it's funny, why did they leave honorifics and other such words intact because 'there's no equal translation to them' but they translate the different levels of personal pronouns all the same? Watashi, Watakushi, Waga, Washi, Boku, Ore, Wacchi, Atashi, and some other variations I might forgot will all be translated as 'I'. In reality, there's no equal translation to the level of formality of those words, but everything still translated to 'I'. Same thing to Anata, Anta, Kimi, Omae, Temee, Kisama, Nushi, and some other variations that I might forgot, all got translated to 'you'. Also, Jibun will get translated variously, can be I, you, he, she, we, they, etc. because it has no equal translation in English, but no, they didn't leave it and add TL note, they translate it. I agree that leaving in honorifics is an attempt to show the level of respect/closeness of one person to the other, but then the different levels of personal pronoun should be left as well, with TL Note explaining the differences.

And, I hate to break this to you, but you'll get a D or lower if you translate like that in a Japanese language class.

Now I don't have any problem with people preferring this wrong way of translation, to be honest I also prefer it like that even if I know it's wrong, but don't talk as if that's actually the correct way of translating. Fact is, no matter how you see it, these 'leaving in words in Japanese' are the wrong way of translating. Another fact is, people can't accept the fact that what they like is actually not the correct one. Thankfully I got over that phase long ago.
Oct 25, 2010 1:28 PM

Jun 2007
Anyien said:

Okay, if American/overseas companies have "bought the rights," as you said, how does buying their products not contribute to the Japanese anime industry. Every legitimate DVD/BD purchase anywhere in the world puts more money into the system. And the more money overseas companies make, the more licenses they can afford to buy, thus more money is made by Japanese producers and creators.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Oct 25, 2010 1:57 PM

Oct 2010
i think if someone usually likes to stream anime they shouldnt use crunchyroll as well...
i think the reason so many people would hate it is because they dont let you watch certain episodes unless ure a member and you have to pay for the membership later on.. otherwise you cant watch anything or cant watch recent anime that just came out. Plus they have ridiculously excess commercials which im sure a lot of people would rather watch without.
Oct 25, 2010 2:00 PM

Nov 2009
Yumio said:

Not sure how you expect them to make money with out a membership system or ads.
Oct 25, 2010 2:10 PM

Oct 2010
pleman said:
Yumio said:

a lot of people can go to other sites and get the same quality without paying a single cent... so if u compare with other sites its pointless to pay for it.

im not saying its a bad idea for people who like the site...and if one if willing to pay then let them be. im just explaining why a lot of people wouldn't like it.
Oct 25, 2010 2:18 PM

Aug 2007
Mow123 said:
If you know the meaning of aninki and what not you do not need it in subs because you are not deaf.

Oh raws don't come out with subs. I don't understand japanese. so why would I buy it. If I understood japanese I would go to websites like nico nico douga and watch free episodes there because again I like supporting anime. the problem I have with fansubs is they put their words on it and give you the whole episode to you for free, thats stealing.

Nakama almost as close as family there I translated it. what are you going to say that it is too long? if you do Ill lol because a TL note would be way longer. I hate to break it to you but translator notes are for people who can't translate well.

A certain level of culture has to be removed for it to translate well. You would have to lose a certain level of culuture if they used sumimasen ga, chotto wouldn't you? other wise you would not understand it.

If you care about their culture that much you should learn japanese.

btw you said
Anyien said:
I thought it was a little funny because you say you don't understand any japanese but understand chan kun ect which are japanese words.

To be honest chan kun ect I don't really care too much if they leave thoes words in japanse its mainly other words, like one time I saw mizoos or something like that and I didn't know wtf that was. but if you don't stop the adding of japanese things in your english it may become a lot worse. even if it doesn't some people may not like it because they simply don't care for japanese culture that much.

Actually that would be copyright infringement. It is never stealing. Translator notes are for people who can translate better than official translators.

pleman said:
Yumio said:

Crunchyroll doesn't deserve any money because of what they have done in the past.
Oct 25, 2010 2:27 PM

Nov 2009
you seem pretty butt hurt, you do realize that its just cartoons right?
Oct 25, 2010 2:27 PM

Jul 2010
Drunk_Samurai said:
Translator notes are for people who can translate better than official translators.

This is the second time I've wrote this sentence today, but: "Pardon me for being honest, but I did lol at your post."

So "Just according to keikaku (TL Note: Keikaku means plan)" comes from better translator than "Just as planned"?

Oh and
RedSuisei said:
Now I don't have any problem with people preferring this wrong way of translation, to be honest I also prefer it like that even if I know it's wrong, but don't talk as if that's actually the correct way of translating. Fact is, no matter how you see it, these 'leaving in words in Japanese' are the wrong way of translating. Another fact is, people can't accept the fact that what they like is actually not the correct one.
Oct 25, 2010 2:35 PM
Dec 2007
RedSuisei said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Translator notes are for people who can translate better than official translators.

This is the second time I've wrote this sentence today, but: "Pardon me for being honest, but I did lol at your post."

So "Just according to keikaku (TL Note: Keikaku means plan)" comes from better translator than "Just as planned"?

Oh and
RedSuisei said:
Now I don't have any problem with people preferring this wrong way of translation, to be honest I also prefer it like that even if I know it's wrong, but don't talk as if that's actually the correct way of translating. Fact is, no matter how you see it, these 'leaving in words in Japanese' are the wrong way of translating. Another fact is, people can't accept the fact that what they like is actually not the correct one.
So in the end, since this is ENTERTAINMENT, aren't we supposed to see it in the way we prefer it? BTW, that line you keep harping on over and over is not a good example of what I, for example, like. I mean, what's the point of leaving the word as is when there's a perfect equivalent in English?

Oct 25, 2010 2:43 PM

Jul 2010
Leon-Gun said:
So in the end, since this is ENTERTAINMENT, aren't we supposed to see it in the way we prefer it? BTW, that line you keep harping on over and over is not a good example of what I, for example, like. I mean, what's the point of leaving the word as is when there's a perfect equivalent in English?

Yup, that's why I said I have no problem when people prefer it to be that way, but saying it's the correct way is absolutely wrong.
Oh and there's also a perfect equivalent of -san, -sama, Sensei, Onii-chan, Nee-san, etc. in English.
Oct 25, 2010 5:57 PM
Nov 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:

Oh god. You made my day there Drunk_Samurai, you made my day. Absolutely hilarious.

10/10. Would read again.
Oct 25, 2010 6:05 PM

Jul 2008
Pardon me Drunk_Sumarai, for the miss use, I was in quite a hurry when I wrote that. Anyways that incident doesn't really have to do with the matter at hand so lets just forget about it. When you said you wouldn't support crunchy roll because of what they did in the past, don't you think you are being a little harsh? Also I am currently watching hayate right now and it seems you're the expert on this type of things so I'll ask you. How/where should I watch this show? My goal is to have to pay no money (closest to 0 cost) but still support the show. How would I achieve this goal without crunchy roll?

This is why I like crunchy roll.
Oct 25, 2010 7:13 PM

Jul 2008
Holy shit, Drunk Samurai I thought you were a troll not a retard. Seriously you've said some stupid shit, but that goes beyond retarded.
Oct 25, 2010 7:47 PM

Aug 2007
RedSuisei said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

I should have said translator notes are for people who generally translate better than official translators.

RedSuisei said:
Leon-Gun said:

Yup, that's why I said I have no problem when people prefer it to be that way, but saying it's the correct way is absolutely wrong.
Oh and there's also a perfect equivalent of -san, -sama, Sensei, Onii-chan, Nee-san, etc. in English.

No there's not. At least not for san and sama.

Mow123 said:
Pardon me Drunk_Sumarai, for the miss use, I was in quite a hurry when I wrote that. Anyways that incident doesn't really have to do with the matter at hand so lets just forget about it. When you said you wouldn't support crunchy roll because of what they did in the past, don't you think you are being a little harsh? Also I am currently watching hayate right now and it seems you're the expert on this type of things so I'll ask you. How/where should I watch this show? My goal is to have to pay no money (closest to 0 cost) but still support the show. How would I achieve this goal without crunchy roll?

This is why I like crunchy roll.

Watch it on the official licensers websites.
Oct 25, 2010 7:54 PM

Oct 2009
Because there ipod touch app is messed up and the audio is off for Gintama :(
Oct 25, 2010 8:30 PM

Jul 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:
I should have said translator notes are for people who generally translate better than official translators.

TL notes are for lazy translators who have no clue how to put everything together in a sentence, and instead just refer you to a dictionary definition. Translation's supposed to be as smooth as possible, and should flow well. Using TL notes breaks up the flow, which is pretty bad.

Drunk_Samurai said:

Mr., Ms., Mrs., Lord, etc. etc. If a translator can't pick a translated title from context, then that's also pretty bad.
Oct 25, 2010 8:39 PM

Aug 2010
BLeakXBuRSTX19 said:
Because there ipod touch app is messed up and the audio is off for Gintama :(

Thanks for the humor:) Pretty soon people are going to start insulting each others mamas:(
Oct 25, 2010 9:56 PM
Sep 2010
Won't deny there are problems with Crunchyroll but amusing enough you still see torrent sites using Crunchy's subs which I find hilarious. Everyone has opinions alot of people who can't or don't want to torrent like to find a way to legally do things with so many copyright laws getting lots of ppl in the world in trouble, I just hope doesn't become that bad in the US.

I personally use CR for the ease of access and have an account and while the subs are meh, i've seen way worse....anyone remember hong kong and chinese fan subs that even changed the names lol...I look forward to other sites using stream to like Hulu, funimation and aniplex using youtube, helps me decide what animes to buy, like I will buy Durarara the moment its released thanks to CR.
Oct 25, 2010 10:04 PM
Dec 2007
ARXLaevatein said:

Drunk_Samurai said:

Mr., Ms., Mrs., Lord, etc. etc. If a translator can't pick a translated title from context, then that's also pretty bad.
That's more like an educated guess taken from observation. Same for other more affective ones like -chan and -kun which can indeed be translated but are pretty touchy and subjective to do so. Also, nine times out of ten the official translation will just ignore most of the honorifics completely and just arbitrarily use the traditional mr. or mrs. along with the occasional nickname or shortening of words like sister to sis or big brother to big bro, for example.

Oct 25, 2010 10:05 PM

Aug 2007
ARXLaevatein said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

TL notes are for lazy translators who have no clue how to put everything together in a sentence, and instead just refer you to a dictionary definition. Translation's supposed to be as smooth as possible, and should flow well. Using TL notes breaks up the flow, which is pretty bad.

Drunk_Samurai said:

How exactly do translator notes break up the flow? Since they are honorifics they should not be translated. If they localize it then let them though the better choice would just to remove them completely if somebody wants to translate them.
Oct 25, 2010 10:07 PM

Aug 2007
Leon-Gun said:
ARXLaevatein said:

Drunk_Samurai said:

That's more like an educated guess taken from observation. Same for other more affective ones like -chan and -kun which can indeed be translated but are pretty touchy and subjective to do so. Also, nine times out of ten the official translation will just ignore most of the honorifics completely and just arbitrarily use the traditional mr. or mrs. along with the occasional nickname or shortening of words like sister to sis or big brother to big bro, for example.

Chan and kun can NEVER be translated.
Pages (35) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » The most overrated characters that everyone loves ( 1 2 3 )

Lizz_Aleister - Dec 1, 2020

102 by LoveYourEyes »»
2 minutes ago

» The best 3 animes you've ever seen? ( 1 2 )

Hachii13 - Mar 5

76 by Hitagi__Furude »»
5 minutes ago

» show me your anime 3x3 ( 1 2 )

707supremacist - May 5

97 by MHRX_999 »»
14 minutes ago

» Digitalization of the modern world and anime

RobertBobert - Yesterday

38 by perseii »»
22 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9085 by anime-prime »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.