Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 30, 2010 5:55 PM

Sep 2010
So, I'm just wondering why people seem to hate the mainstream? Wheater it's a Shonen anime like One Piece, or something more mature like Code Geass, it seems like there are always a number of people who just don't like them. I think that most of the mainstream series are so popular for a reason, so if you're one of those people, please post why you don't like mainstream anime.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 30, 2010 6:02 PM

Dec 2009
Because the mainstream is boring and generic. like pop music and heavy metal etc.
Sep 30, 2010 6:11 PM

Sep 2009
People want to feel unique and special by liking (slightly more) obscure stuff. Oh, and

CocaNut said:
Because the mainstream is boring and generic. like pop music and heavy metal etc.
Sep 30, 2010 6:12 PM

Sep 2008
I'll assume by mainstream, you mean shows like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist, Inuyasha, etc.

For me it mostly comes down to the time commitment. I simply can't see myself following the same show season after season or taking the time to marathon through the dozens/hundreds of past episodes to catch up. Also, shows like this tend to have much less respect for my time compared to smaller shows. There's always those annoying filler episodes and manga storylines that are dragged out much more than they should be.

Plus, they almost never have that romantic element that I crave. And when they do, it takes hundreds of episodes to get there... Really not worth it.
Sep 30, 2010 6:17 PM

Jul 2010
It doesn't always apply though, it mostly only applies to popular shows that comes out quite recently. Something very popular that is quite old, people will still be very proud liking that series.
Sep 30, 2010 6:26 PM

Feb 2010
The funny thing is, it's mainstream to hate mainstream so I don't hate mainstream to not be mainstream, but I wonder how long it will take until that is mainstream too.

Seriously, some people just don't like some of the mainstream stuff. If someone tends to hate EVERYTHING that is mainstream, I'd say the probability is high that he's just a douché that wants to stress his oh so individual taste.

I personally tend to try and ride the hype, because there has to be some appeal in those series and if I can enjoy them - good for me. What would life be without enjoyment. But there are just as many good shows that are everything but mainstream. Liking on or the other doesn't have to be contradiction, like those people with the oh so individual tastes tend to think.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 30, 2010 6:31 PM

Jun 2009
Knil said:
Also, shows like this tend to have much less respect for my time compared to smaller shows. There's always those annoying filler episodes and manga storylines that are dragged out much more than they should be.

I would have to say that this is my reason too.

Also, they tend to drag on and on without and foreseeable end. Which is kind of frustrating because the plot is neither neatly packaged or even there sometimes so characters spend hours going on missions that both are boring or of no relevance. It is a bit like playing a video game, I enjoy playing all of the hours of mindless level grinding, but I would not enjoy watching someone do that for umpteen hours.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Sep 30, 2010 7:07 PM

Aug 2010
For me, mainstream anime has too much action. I bet these animes are great action shows, but it's just not my cup of tea.

Also, these animes tend to be long and ongoing, and a plot drawn over 200+ episodes is a lot less effective than say, a 24 episode plot. These animes are shorter, sweeter, and have less filler material.

Code Geass would be an exception to this, and it is very regarded by many people. I personally have not watched it, or any other mecha, but I have heard from many of my friends that it is amazing.
Sep 30, 2010 7:12 PM
Jun 2010
some mainstream anime are actually good (Naruto, One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist)

but fillers destroy them (Naruto, Bleach)

then the plot starts to drag and gets nowhere (Naruto Shippuden, Bleach)

then the hating starts

Sep 30, 2010 7:15 PM
Sep 2010
The anime that become mainstream become too lazy and trade innovation with doing the same shit over and over because apparently people like to not think while watching stuff because they were conditioned by consumerism and mainstream media. It's a vicious cycle that creates its own evil.
Sep 30, 2010 7:15 PM

Apr 2010
I just hate them.

Sep 30, 2010 7:23 PM

Feb 2009
Because they want to be "rebels".
Sep 30, 2010 7:27 PM
Jun 2010
Easy...because all the good anime end around 50ish episodes :P
Sep 30, 2010 7:28 PM

Jul 2010
Dislike "Long/Never ending series" (The Big Three)
Dislike "Too many filler episodes"

Why do other people hate mainstream? Because they want to be "different"

Do I hate mainstream? Generally no, unless they contain my two main dislikes, I do plan on watching more of the mainstream stuff... when I get around to it.
Will you be able to do.... what must be done?

Sep 30, 2010 7:30 PM

May 2010
They drag on and on and eventually many plotholes arise.

Some of the plots are really generic and chessy that only people new to Anime will rate them a 10.

Just look at all the Anime made by Key, Angel Beats! is a great example.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 30, 2010 7:32 PM
Sep 2009
People don't hate the mainstream, they hate mediocrity in the mainstream.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Sep 30, 2010 7:35 PM
Jun 2010

and whoever said heavy metal is boring must listen to justin bieber all day or something

oh and ppl who hate the big 3 prob HAVENT READ THE MANGA
Sep 30, 2010 7:36 PM

Sep 2010
They get really boring and are way too long. A lot of the times that plots are boring and unoriginal. Then the fillers, enough said.

The only mainstream anime I truly like is Full Metal Alchemist. Bleach & Naruto are fine, but I stopped watching after about 50 episodes.
Sep 30, 2010 7:39 PM

Apr 2010
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
, I'd say the probability is high that he's just a douché that wants to stress his oh so unindividual taste.

ya thats pretty much why...

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Sep 30, 2010 7:45 PM

Feb 2009
Hageshiikaze said:

That's why Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, one of the highest rated anime on this site, is 64 episodes and still amazing. Not to mention other long series like Monster, Cardcaptor Sakura, Maison Ikkoku and Legend of the Galactic Heroes, they are not well recieved at all, because of their slightly intimidating length.
Sep 30, 2010 7:46 PM

Jul 2009
Mainstream = more people have watched/are watching them = more vocal critics and haters.

Kipcha said:
That's why Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, one of the highest rated anime on this site, is 64 episodes and still amazing. Not to mention other long series like Monster, Cardcaptor Sakura, Maison Ikkoku and Legend of the Galactic Heroes, they are not well recieved at all, because of their slightly intimidating length.

Surely you must be joking, Legend of the Galactic Heroes has the second highest score on this site! Monster is also pretty high up there.
Sep 30, 2010 8:06 PM

Aug 2010
ARXLaevatein said:
Mainstream = more people have watched/are watching them = more vocal critics and haters.

I think this is the best answer. The other shows don't have as many viewers so it seems like they aren't bashed for this or that. So, mainstream and non-mainstream both have their fans and critics.
Sep 30, 2010 8:10 PM

Jan 2010
RedSuisei said:
It doesn't always apply though, it mostly only applies to popular shows that comes out quite recently. Something very popular that is quite old, people will still be very proud liking that series.

Exactly. Like Cowboy Bebop.
Sep 30, 2010 8:14 PM

Nov 2009
Some people hate it just because it's mainstream. Others don't enjoy it because of the filler or being to long. Personally, I enjoy most mainstream shows, except some parts piss me off, but that's just due to my preference.
Sep 30, 2010 8:44 PM
Jul 2018
its not that i hate the anime's but the fans of them like most mainstream arent THAT good. i mean they're enjoyable but like the narutards make it seem like naruto is the greatest thing since toasted bread
removed-userOct 1, 2010 1:57 PM
Sep 30, 2010 9:11 PM

Sep 2009
Oct 1, 2010 3:53 AM

Apr 2010
Why do I have to like them? If it's not my taste, it's not my tatse. On the other there people who see animes that no one watches. So Why do they watch it?! Because they love it.

I don't mind if it's mainstream of the most forgotten anime in the world (As long as it has subtitles), the important thing is the storyline (Or whatever you look to see in animes). The mainstreams fit the most people's taste, but not everyone. The same things about anything else.

Oct 1, 2010 4:00 AM

Mar 2009
most of the mainstream animes are just bad manga adaptions thats all
sometimes the manga is way better than the adaption

i just dont like long series because of the annoying fillers

also mainstream series are so much overhyped its going on my nerves
Oct 1, 2010 4:22 AM

Jul 2008
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
The funny thing is, it's mainstream to hate mainstream so I don't hate mainstream to not be mainstream, but I wonder how long it will take until that is mainstream too.

Check scene kids.
But meh, I don't hate if it's mainstream, I hate if it's bad (bleach) it's not the fact that it's mainstream or super popular, it's the fact that it's laughably bad.
But whilst I say that, I do get caught up with haters now and then, a recent example of this would be HOTD, I'm going to start up the manga anyway, but as everyone (the people who weren't fapping over balloon boobs) kept saying the anime was pure fanservice and was pretty terrible, I crossed it off as bad (pure fanservice =/= good in my good, I rather dislike over the top bad ecchi)
Oct 1, 2010 4:24 AM

Mar 2009
Because they tend to be generic or have stereotypical characters. Also, because there are many other unpopular stuff which kick the mainstream's ass anytime.
Oct 1, 2010 4:43 AM

Apr 2009
supersayen said:
some mainstream anime are actually good (One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist)

then the hating starts

nuff said//

but mainstream isnt about the BIG three only..

there are non-shounen mainstreams there
Oct 1, 2010 4:48 AM
Jun 2008
Of course I don't hate mainstream .
Maybe I hate mainstream without knowing it since I am emphasizing my thought of not hating mainstream it.LoL

hehe Anyway,people hate mainstream because They hate seeing people happy over some shit that they hate so much.While The fanboy will get even more hype and proud in defending their favorite Anime.Enjoying an Anime is subjective ,so I don't see there is an problem here .
Sometimes I even jealous those fanboy being so dedicated in loving those shit Anime that I hate so much.....eeehh jealous,what a beautiful word to use especially on myself -_-"
Every Anime has its own flaw/uniqueness, people will either choose to hate it or love it or ignore and enjoy the rest.That's all
MorningGloryOct 1, 2010 4:53 AM
Oct 1, 2010 4:52 AM

Feb 2009
Because mainstream anime tend to have the worst fanbases, that I'd rather not be associated with.
My current anime list is grossly, out of date, just so you know.

skullhunterj said:
if u expect me to put on my working writing skill on forums like this...think again, Grammer Nazi!!!

I hate people.
Oct 1, 2010 4:58 AM

Jul 2010
MorningGlory said:

Every Anime has its own flaw/uniqueness, people will either choose to hate it or love it or ignore and enjoy the rest.That's all

Can't agree more.

gainaxfanboy said:
Because mainstream anime tend to have the worst fanbases, that I'd rather not be associated with.

Eh, you do know that the non mainstream ones tends to have elitists fanbase, which for me, can be as bad as the mainstream fanbase? Those that goes like, 'Hey this series is not mainstream and it's really awesome, anyone who dislikes this is dumb', kind of fanbase?
Oct 1, 2010 5:02 AM

Feb 2009
gainaxfanboy said:

Eh, you do know that the non mainstream ones tends to have elitists fanbase, which for me, can be as bad as the mainstream fanbase? Those that goes like, 'Hey this series is not mainstream and it's really awesome, anyone who dislikes this is dumb', kind of fanbase?

I suppose. I may be a bit biased.
My current anime list is grossly, out of date, just so you know.

skullhunterj said:
if u expect me to put on my working writing skill on forums like this...think again, Grammer Nazi!!!

I hate people.
Oct 1, 2010 5:13 AM

Feb 2005
Let's look at why something is mainstream then.

The whole point is to sell as much as possible, which means the authors throw in anything they know will sell a lot. In turn, this means throwing in copypaste plots and characters from previously successful series.
A fine example is Code Geass. It includes loads of cliffhangers and sudden, even if disjointed, plot twists, and rides a wave of fake "intellectual" chess-based drama that Death note generated just beforehand. Then they add in a cast of characters designed solely to appeal to the masses, combining all sorts of popular stuff like ninja maids, noodly bishounen, a yandere brother with gay vibes, a big breasted pilot, a loli pilot and similar fanservice stuff, as well as a bunch of mechas in order to sell model kits afterwards (It's Sunrise after all).
Bleach and Naruto are other obvious examples, that feature nothing but generic rehashed shounen plots (At least in Naruto's case, Bleach hardly had a plot last time I checked), loads of characters designed to look as cool as possible in the fights even with zero personality(Especially true for Bleach), and really nothing much more.

Now, the reason why people would dislike mainstream stuff like this is simply that they have a high taste threshold and won't be bought by cheap profit driven entertainment, or have already seen it all before and won't buy into the same old being served over and again.

And then of course you have the silly posers who "hate" mainstream just to seem different, but there's always some silly people around after all.
Oct 1, 2010 5:24 AM

Jun 2008
The thing i hate about mainstream anime is all the fangirls
Oct 1, 2010 5:31 AM

Jul 2010
Kipcha said:
Hageshiikaze said:

no its because the people that watched brotherhood were the peole who watched teh original and knew they would like it. thus you never had any "first time" viewers who decided they wouldnt like it and vote it 1.

thats why all those sports animes are so high. only people who watch sports animes will actually vote in them. thus they dont have anyone trying to watch them for the first time and voting them 1 when they realize its not for them.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2010 5:32 AM

Oct 2008
Meh, if I like an anime doesn't bother me if it's mainstream or not cuz I enjoy the show. People who hate shows just cuz they're mainstream need to at least watch one episode to see if they really hate it or not.
Oct 1, 2010 6:14 AM

Feb 2009
ARXLaevatein said:
Kipcha said:

Surely you must be joking, Legend of the Galactic Heroes has the second highest score on this site! Monster is also pretty high up there.

I am most definitely joking XD Maybe I should have put the /sarcasm at the end, because those series are all most definitely well-recieved...
Oct 1, 2010 7:26 AM

Jul 2009
Kipcha said:
I am most definitely joking XD Maybe I should have put the /sarcasm at the end, because those series are all most definitely well-recieved...

Ah whoops, seems my sarcasm detector was busted.
Oct 1, 2010 7:38 AM

Oct 2009
people hate mainstream because they are hipsters
Oct 1, 2010 7:40 AM

Jan 2010
Because a large number of anime fans are elitist nerd assholes who are accustomed to watching things that fall outside of the mainstream. Mainstream anime are shows and movies largely embraced not by elitist nerds, but rather, by "normal people", AKA people who don't normally watch Japanese animation. Any new anime fans a mainstream anime brings on are not likely going to know very much about Japanese popular culture, so the elitist nerds assume they are "retards" and "fags" and "posers." Then they will go on hating the mainstream anime, because after all, "PHUK 'normal people'! And PHUK anything designed to appeal to them!"

There is, however, a more legitimate reason. Back in my college days, anytime I told anyone I was into anime, they IMMEDIATELY assumed I liked Dragonball Z, only to be surprised to learn that I never liked DBZ, not even when it first came out. I then mention what anime I do like, which 80 percent of the time warranted a "Wha?" response. I don't hate on mainstream anime just because it's mainstream: I like One Piece, I like the earlier portions of Naruto and Bleach, and I absolutely frigging LOVE Death Note. However, it can be frustrating to a fan having to deal with people that think anime is only for kids, or anime is all hentai, or anime only consists of the Adult Swim lineup.

But seriously? Most of the time, it's just butthurt fanboys thinking they're special for liking something really obscure.
"Simply by the presence of butthurt, this level of reasoning is possible for Furudo Erika. What do you think, everyone?"
Oct 1, 2010 1:08 PM

Jul 2010
Because they are ansious fatty people.....
Oct 1, 2010 1:12 PM

Jan 2009
Baman said:
Let's look at why something is mainstream then.

The whole point is to sell as much as possible, which means the authors throw in anything they know will sell a lot. In turn, this means throwing in copypaste plots and characters from previously successful series.
A fine example is Code Geass. It includes loads of cliffhangers and sudden, even if disjointed, plot twists, and rides a wave of fake "intellectual" chess-based drama that Death note generated just beforehand. Then they add in a cast of characters designed solely to appeal to the masses, combining all sorts of popular stuff like ninja maids, noodly bishounen, a yandere brother with gay vibes, a big breasted pilot, a loli pilot and similar fanservice stuff, as well as a bunch of mechas in order to sell model kits afterwards (It's Sunrise after all).
Bleach and Naruto are other obvious examples, that feature nothing but generic rehashed shounen plots (At least in Naruto's case, Bleach hardly had a plot last time I checked), loads of characters designed to look as cool as possible in the fights even with zero personality(Especially true for Bleach), and really nothing much more.

Now, the reason why people would dislike mainstream stuff like this is simply that they have a high taste threshold and won't be bought by cheap profit driven entertainment, or have already seen it all before and won't buy into the same old being served over and again.

And then of course you have the silly posers who "hate" mainstream just to seem different, but there's always some silly people around after all.

This is true to an extent. But there are shows that just happened to become "main stream" or really popular due to chance, or the fact that it is really good. One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop ect...
Oct 1, 2010 1:21 PM

Sep 2010
supersayen said:
some mainstream anime are actually good (Naruto, One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist)

then the hating starts

There we go.
Oct 1, 2010 1:43 PM

Feb 2005
burntlettuce said:
This is true to an extent. But there are shows that just happened to become "main stream" or really popular due to chance, or the fact that it is really good. One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop ect...
I guess, but I don't know about those examples. One Piece and FMA are both typical shounen series that naturally appeal to large demographies, and as for Cowboy Bebop, it only got mainstream in the west as far as I recall, and then probably mostly due to it's similarity to western action movies.
Oct 1, 2010 1:46 PM

May 2009
Not everyone hates the mainstream, but people like what they like and dislike what they dislike. Some people hate the obscure. That's life.
<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/angelfire892&sclick=1">
Being sane is over rated :)
Oct 1, 2010 1:53 PM

Aug 2009
I don't really have much problems with "mainstream" as a whole. In general, if I happen to like an anime, be it mainstream or not, that's it.

Baman said:
Cowboy Bebop, it only got mainstream in the west as far as I recall, and then probably mostly due to it's similarity to western action movies.

Not really. Cowboy Bebop is largely popular here too. But that could be attributed to the fact of it being similar to space/western cowboy movies.
We are the United. Even in defeat we stand united.

Oct 1, 2010 2:16 PM

Apr 2009
Baman said:
One Piece and FMA are both typical shounen series that naturally appeal to large demographies

no, there are tons of shounen manga out there that does not have the lare demographies that these have..

the reason because some are extremly popular is the awesome storytelling of the makaga's and not making the readers bored.
i mean look at bleach, around 80% of readers are reading it for the lulz and got dissapointed in manga after the first arc.. (which was the reason why its popular) look in forum threads 90% are hating and bashing the manga.. because the author doesnt even try to make it good.

try to find a hater in FMA or OnePiece manga threads.. you wont find no one..

onepiece after 13 years is becoming more and more popular because of the fantastic storytelling of the author.. you are never bored reading it
plus it has the biggest character development in whole shounen manga's out there.. well obviously because the setup is different.. there are full arcs of character development.. thats why the manga gets better and better each chapter
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Your longest record/streak

Yonahim_Zz - Today

47 by nyugvo6 »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you have a prejudice against people who watch ecchi/hentai?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

23 by cyandaqil »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Current MAL Top 10 Most Popular Anime ( 1 2 )

LittleStar - May 4

60 by Dauphine »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » How you decide what anime to watch next

ST63LTH - Today

20 by Akuya »»
32 minutes ago

» Opinions on characters colors!

Yonahim_Zz - Today

37 by Akuya »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.