Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »
Jun 21, 2008 7:09 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
hey88 said:
I don't really mind the ads that much, except for the ads that cover up my screen like this:

^^ this just pisses me off

The ad only takes up your screen if you scroll over it. Don't scroll over it?
Jun 22, 2008 8:53 PM
May 2008
I don't care about ads as long as they don't follow me when I scroll down, cover up the whole screen and make sounds. ex. HELLOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 23, 2008 5:55 AM

Aug 2007
I agree about not adding those ads with the annoying sounds- they've scared me many times when I wasn't expecting it.
Jul 2, 2008 2:45 PM

Nov 2007
That Circuit City ad is pretty ridiculous.

That is all.
Jul 3, 2008 11:43 AM

Oct 2007
Actually, the ads seem to be getting worse. It doesn't look they're becoming more anime-centered.
Jul 3, 2008 12:22 PM

Nov 2006
yes they are, the google ads are at least.

Doujinshi Yuri
Bid on Doujinshi Yuri now! Find Animation Art, Characters.
www.eBay.com

xinil wants me to be a faget
Jul 4, 2008 1:13 AM

Apr 2007
I proffered the previous image adds than these google adds, even if the google ads are more anime-related... Doesn't help if they look like shit.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2008 9:20 AM

Feb 2008
I like the google ads, they don't clash with the layout as much and they seem to be more anime-related. The square google ads on the anime pages however are pretty weird looking.
Jul 7, 2008 4:04 PM

Apr 2008
The google ads are so much better. If I had an ad blocker I wouldn't even bother with blocking them.
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Jul 7, 2008 6:14 PM

Dec 2007
Just turned off my adblocker out of curiosity. I am failing to see them get any more anime related. In fact they are far worse than they were when they first showed up. You get some that fly across the screen and others that flash.. on the upside though it looks like I won some cool shit.

..and yes it does flash. Red and lime green infact. Cool.
Jul 8, 2008 7:46 AM

Apr 2007
Yeah, whats up with the ads now? They arn't getting more anime related at all, in-fact as Konfig above me said, they are worse from when the ads first came about. Wth?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2008 8:40 AM

Sep 2007
ads? Oh right, ad-block...

I'd actually consider disabling it for this site, but I think I'd rather make a donation. In fact, I think I'll do that now.

And speaking of which, for people who don't have the awesome power of ad-block, how about adding an option to disable ads for people who donate like, 5 or 10 dollars?
Jul 8, 2008 12:34 PM

Jan 2008
I'm tempted to block the ads... I mean... I just saw hearts and naked people....
Jul 8, 2008 4:33 PM
Oct 2007
Oh, Konfig you were the 1,000,000th visitor too?! ... I was ripped off again.
Jul 9, 2008 12:34 AM

Nov 2007
Why am I not seeing these new super annoying flashing/flying/expanding ads?
Ad-block has been off for this site since..forever.

I FEEL DISCRIMINATED AGAINST. I WANT MY CHANCE AT A NEW LAPTOP TOO D:

On another note, the google ads are nice. They fit really well.
Jul 9, 2008 1:51 AM

Dec 2007
Xjellocross said:

I agree the Google ones do work nicely. Thanks for giving those a shot Xinil.

Xjellocross said:

It's cool Jello, I've already got a nice laptop. I'll just go ahead ship this one off to you as soon as I get it :)
KonfigJul 9, 2008 2:03 AM
Jul 9, 2008 2:46 AM

Jul 2006
The ads are telling me to play DOMO again. ._.

Jul 9, 2008 5:59 AM

Jul 2007
Xjellocross said:
Why am I not seeing these new super annoying flashing/flying/expanding ads?
Ad-block has been off for this site since..forever.

Same "problem" here. Most of my ads are for anime streaming sites and DOMO online, [unrelated] which, by the way, I actually tried, and I had to click 4355635 times to click once and random pixels would be huge and look really messed up. [/unrelated]

ilu Mathes. thanks for awesome Beato sig. <3
ilu mah_marina. thanks for awesome Beato icon. <3
Jul 9, 2008 9:32 AM

Apr 2007
I keep on getting the annoying generic ads you can see anywhere. The 1,000,000'th visitor, IQ ads, 5,147,387 viewer or something like that... Random ads on random things like t-shirts... And a ton of other annoying flash ones, plus an annoying "you have one message" ad.

They are really pissing me off now, that im losing alot of the respect i had for Xinil... not that there was much to begin with.

I dunno how hard it is to do or whatever, but is it not possible to make all the ads anime related like animenewsnetwork does? And i don't mean just those google ads, they plain looked ugly, not that the current ads are any better...

I'm really wishing I had this 'ad-block' thing.
Jul 9, 2008 10:15 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Siing said:
I'm really wishing I had this 'ad-block' thing.

Just curious, you're not getting it because...? The only obstacle I can think of is that you're using IE?

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 9, 2008 9:28 PM

Nov 2006
I don't know what's wrong with your side, Siing, but I'm only seeing either google ads (in some way anime related), ads for online games (anime art style, suitable for mal), or Yuu Yuu Hakusho box set ads. The last time I blocked an ad was a while ago, which was the Circuit City ad. Since then I have not seen any ads not related to anime.
On this page I have a google ad with 'free popup blocker' (LOL) and 'anime girl images' on it. It has anime on it, so to me it's an anime-related ad.

EDIT: lol I just went to the news page and got 1. a Circuit City ad and 2. a Wii ad flashing and moving all over my screen. I jinxed myself.
windyJul 9, 2008 9:31 PM
Jul 9, 2008 11:32 PM

Nov 2007
windy said:

EDIT: lol I just went to the news page and got 1. a Circuit City ad and 2. a Wii ad flashing and moving all over my screen. I jinxed myself.
I just got that on My Panel 30 seconds ago. Looks like I jinxed myself as well D:

Jul 11, 2008 12:43 AM
Nov 2007
tbh, i kinda like these ads
well..
maybe just the mabinogi one >:3
or the yyh boxset one >:3

weeeeeee
Jul 11, 2008 1:36 AM

Oct 2007
Doesn't really bother me, some of the ads like Anime fever helps

Jul 14, 2008 4:00 PM
Nov 2007
oh oh oh !
can we get flyff ads ~!? >:3
Jul 16, 2008 5:49 PM
Mar 2008
I don't really mind, since they aren't huge and stupid ads like "Click here to get $999.999!!!!11.
Jul 16, 2008 6:32 PM
Jul 2018
Nothing wrong with a few ads. Just as long as we don't see more and more popping up over time to where the site becomes difficult to enjoy. Remember, less is more! :]
Jul 18, 2008 2:47 AM

Nov 2007
While browsing the site today there were a few areas (happened twice on the staff page actually) where I was suddenly swamped by popups. Every time I killed one or two another two would spawn so I wasn't able to get to any information I needed. It got to the point where I just terminated Firefox and opened it again (although later navigating away from the page worked too).

Right now I just want to know if this is my problem alone (I've already scanned for spyware and adware but there's always a chance it didn't catch it) or if others are also experiencing it. I really don't want to use adblock on MAL so I can help support the site (seeing as I am unable to donate) but I think I would draw the line here. Big circuit city flash ads, waving Wii-motes, whatever I can take it. But if it gets to the point where I have to terminate Firefox... :/
Jul 18, 2008 9:54 AM

Apr 2008
Xjellocross said:
While browsing the site today there were a few areas (happened twice on the staff page actually) where I was suddenly swamped by popups. Every time I killed one or two another two would spawn so I wasn't able to get to any information I needed. It got to the point where I just terminated Firefox and opened it again (although later navigating away from the page worked too).

Right now I just want to know if this is my problem alone (I've already scanned for spyware and adware but there's always a chance it didn't catch it) or if others are also experiencing it. I really don't want to use adblock on MAL so I can help support the site (seeing as I am unable to donate) but I think I would draw the line here. Big circuit city flash ads, waving Wii-motes, whatever I can take it. But if it gets to the point where I have to terminate Firefox... :/

This has happened to me as well, was looking at the info on a character and was suddenly blasted by a popup with music.
Jul 18, 2008 2:07 PM

Dec 2007
Xjellocross said:

Just happened to me too.. I thought it might have been the new last.fm doing it, but looks like it was MAL instead. Classy.
Jul 18, 2008 2:12 PM

Feb 2008
I hope you won't hate me for using ABP.
Jul 19, 2008 8:09 AM

Dec 2007
Did you guys add pop-ups? o-o; I heard some with music the other day and it scared the crap out of me at night. XDD

I'm just wondering because my blocker blocks most, but a few popped up. o-o;
Jul 19, 2008 10:14 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
I'm discussing these sound ads/pop-up ads with my ad publisher. We'll see what happens.
Jul 19, 2008 12:13 PM

Nov 2007
Ok, thanks for letting us know Xinil.
Jul 19, 2008 12:15 PM
Mar 2008
Some of them are fine, but the ones bugging me are the 3 window popups and the circuit city one which is impossible to not click for me if I'm trying to do something quick, but do what you gotta do.
Jul 19, 2008 6:41 PM

Apr 2007
Xinil said:
I'm discussing these sound ads/pop-up ads with my ad publisher. We'll see what happens.

Im adding a Add blocker Addition to Fire Fox Until its fixed. Please make a post to let us know.
Jul 19, 2008 11:34 PM

Dec 2007
Xinil said:

Thanks.
Jul 21, 2008 7:21 AM

Sep 2007
Xinil said:

Yay!

(haven't seen the sound ads but the Circuit City pop-up ad is worth getting rid of.)
Jul 21, 2008 4:21 PM
Jul 2018
Xinil said:
That would be great. I was on my own profile page and got sodomized by like, 6 or 7 pop ups. Slowed the time of the page loading by a lot too. :\
Jul 22, 2008 1:42 AM

Mar 2008
I always use Mozilla Firefox and the Mozilla Firefox Add-On Adblock Plus, so I never saw any ads.

I feel sorry for those who don't have Mozilla Firefox as their web browser and feel even more sorry for those who do have Mozilla Firefox as their web browser but do not have the Mozilla Firefox Add-On Adblock Plus installed.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Jul 22, 2008 2:06 AM

Apr 2007
babynaruto1 said:
I always use Mozilla Firefox and the Mozilla Firefox Add-On Adblock Plus, so I never saw any ads.

I feel sorry for those who don't have Mozilla Firefox as their web browser and feel even more sorry for those who do have Mozilla Firefox as their web browser but do not have the Mozilla Firefox Add-On Adblock Plus installed.

thats not even really the issue, I didnt have ad-block on because I wanted to help generate some money for MAL. So when I see an interesting ad. Like the ones about the DVD box sets. I would click and browse around so Xinil gets paid :P

But the pop ups drew the line for me. Now I do have ad block up. But once all the shitty pop up and screen covering ads are gone I'll remove it.
Jul 22, 2008 2:19 AM

Mar 2008
Sandgolem said:
babynaruto1 said:

thats not even really the issue, I didn't have ad-block on because I wanted to help generate some money for MAL. So when I see an interesting ad. Like the ones about the DVD box sets. I would click and browse around so Xinil gets paid :P

But the pop ups drew the line for me. Now I do have ad block up. But once all the shitty pop up and screen covering ads are gone I'll remove it.

I just don't like ads because I get drawn in easily, and before I know it, I am getting phone calls from telemarketers and get spam e-mail like crazy.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Jul 23, 2008 12:44 AM

Oct 2007
Anyone care to explain what "Lire... FAIL!!!" means?
Jul 28, 2008 4:54 AM

Oct 2007
Okey ... now we have Congrats ... your the xxx visitor and click to claim ur prise ??? please NO ADDS like this .... ITS FAIL
Jul 31, 2008 8:56 AM

Jul 2006
This ad really bothers me.

Aug 20, 2008 7:33 PM

Dec 2007
I've found a couple of the Visa adds rather annoying, as they send a Kite or (1 to 3, at differing points) Butterflies across the page, outside of the confines of the advert (they're not following the mouse or anything. They're just moving across the screen)
I've noticed on the screenshots I've taken of them they do seem to have a Close[x] thing which appears somewhere to the left, but I hadn't noticed that when they were flitting across my screen... and its out in the middle of nowhere anyway.

Pictures in the spoiler (Kite first, then butterflies, then the Kite add when played to completion and showing the Visa Logo)
Sep 12, 2008 9:04 AM

Apr 2008
Don't need this here. -_-
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Oct 4, 2008 8:05 AM

Jul 2007
the ads are messing up my panel :(
Oct 4, 2008 8:12 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Alpha said:
the ads are messing up my panel :(

How exactly? Could you post a screenshot?

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 4, 2008 9:57 AM

Nov 2006
That's been happening to me too. Gonna get a screenshot as soon as it happens again. For now, this is happening:

The long, vertical ads that are supposed to appear below the user panel on the left side of the site are appearing in the small square ad spaces.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

208 by hawkpelt5 »»
Today, 1:49 AM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.