Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 22, 2010 9:34 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, this was a quite interesting documentary. Now when will some studio adapt Vagabond ffs...

Pros
-interesting facts/speculations(?)
-good narration
-music

Cons
-short
-short
-only a documentary

overall - 7/10

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Aug 23, 2010 1:38 PM

Mar 2009
I was extremely disappointed by both the fact that they did not utilize the silent film element from the beginning of the film and the fact that it was a friggin' fifth-grade history lesson, given by a CGed old gnome. Big disappointment.
Jan 3, 2011 2:13 AM

Apr 2009
For a documentary it could have been more serious but it was OK by my book.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Mar 28, 2011 5:46 PM

Mar 2008
Excluding the unnecessarily long ramble about the origin of knights, it was a very interesting documentary with good narration and good music (glaring exception being the classical piece which, while good in itself, doesn't fit in). However, history-wise, it could have used a more relevant approach.

Still, for an animated documentary, a genre rarely (if ever) seen, it was quite entertaining.
7/10
ArcanusMar 28, 2011 5:51 PM
Jun 13, 2011 5:13 PM

Aug 2010
I was well educated through this short movie! I liked the BGM as it fit with the mood and the fight scenes.
Nov 26, 2015 3:46 PM

Jun 2013
I really liked. I love historical themes. There should be more animes with historical and factual issues.
Mar 10, 2017 2:49 PM

May 2015
I really, really liked the unorthodox approach of this anime about Miyamoto Musashi…
Mar 23, 2017 6:10 AM

Dec 2015
An interesting documentary surfing the " reconstitution" trend of modern historical docs (but with excellent animated footage). The theory examined here is enough of a hook (I can't say how badly/well thought it is, of course) and people less informed about the context get the needed infos to follow the lecture. Comedic antics trouble the lesson, so do the (informative) digressions. Those digressions and the duration constraint prevent the movie to be as complete as it could. The little lecturer (Oshii's avatar?) was more a distraction than anything, his role could have been perfectly fulfilled by the usual off-voice.
The OST, despite seeming out-of-topic at times with the use of european classical pieces, was great and never an obstruction to the content. Certainly the best BGM I ever heard in this genre (historical doc with reconstituted scenes).
The highly stylistic nature of the animation scenes is an odd choice for a documentary claiming to try to differentiate fantasy from reality.

Score: 6.5+/10

Between the few elements I already knew, my dislike of documentaries relying on scenes plays (be them filmed or animated) and the shortness of the video, I can't really like it. But I can't dislike it either when it taught me something.

Enjoyment: 3/5

I love how some people cite as a negative for a documentary its nature of documentary. XD
Rei_IIIMar 23, 2017 6:45 AM
Apr 24, 2018 10:51 AM

Jul 2017
This was kind of middle of the road. I liked the musick and the 2D animation. The 3D animation was sort of fun looking but cheap, and many of those scenes included comedy that seemed out of place. Some explanations rambled on and on. I did enjoy the critical nature, looking at the real vs. the myth of the swordsman.
Nov 21, 2018 7:12 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
I thought this was going to be a full story movie, only to discover that it was basically just a documentary. :/ Lots of info dumps that were a bit difficult for my brain to follow... 75% of the movie was documentary while the remaining 25% is focused on samurai action. Gotta give them props for making the visuals as creative as possible for presenting all the facts & the history, but that's not enough to keep me invested with the movie...

I keep getting distracted by the antics of the cute yet troublesome assistant Iori. At least her presence made this movie more entertaining. xD
Feb 13, 2023 3:49 AM

Aug 2017
Inukai Kiichi being a researcher of Musashi technically means that this movie is part of Mamoru Oshii's Kerberos Saga universe because the very same researcher is featured in Tachiguishi Retsuden. Crazy xD

I liked the mix of styles used here, very creative

More topics from this board

» trailer Miyamoto Musashi - Souken ni Haseru Yume (cam)

David-Xanatos - Apr 7, 2009

0 by David-Xanatos »»
Apr 7, 2009 11:51 AM

» The translation of the title

dtshyk - Oct 14, 2008

9 by dtshyk »»
Dec 26, 2008 6:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.