Forum Settings
Forums

What do you eat if you don't know how to cook and are living alone?

New
Aug 18, 2010 5:30 PM

Jan 2008
For those people who don't know how to cook and are living alone.
Maybe some peanut butter and jelly on a bread and water.
Instant noodles or canned foods.

Not too healthy menu but maybe you guys have other suggestions.

PS: I'm assigned to a far away place with my job and are gonna start living on my own. And I don't know how to cook T_T
yvancAug 18, 2010 5:53 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 18, 2010 5:30 PM

Dec 2009
I think so, yes.

Wouldn't be a very healthy lifestyle and one would undoubtedly get sick of it.
Aug 18, 2010 5:40 PM
Jul 2010
Yes, human can survive without food (bread) a month, but without a water only week, water is the most important, although having only bread and water can cause some serious illness and other stuff, survive - yes, live long - I think not.Because you won't get all vitamins/Minerals you need only from bread and water.
Aug 18, 2010 5:55 PM

Aug 2010
Yessir. I've been eating can foods and instant noodles all my life (only when mom is not home to cook for me) lol
Thor got deleted... D:
Aug 18, 2010 5:57 PM

May 2007
you go eat out
Aug 18, 2010 5:58 PM

Jan 2008
ZoiQ said:
you go eat out

Fast Foods are also bad for the health.
Aug 18, 2010 6:00 PM

Apr 2010
yvanc said:
ZoiQ said:
you go eat out

Fast food is better than no food.
Aug 18, 2010 6:01 PM

Apr 2008
yvanc said:
ZoiQ said:
you go eat out

there are usually other places to eat besides fast food

Aug 18, 2010 6:01 PM

Jan 2009
What windy said. It never hurts to learn. But I sometimes make a salad, a sandwich, etc. since that's just putting things together.
Aug 18, 2010 6:02 PM

Nov 2006
zharnotczar said:
yvanc said:
ZoiQ said:
you go eat out

Fast food is better than no food.
it also depends on what you get. mcdonald's salad with grilled chicken != angus burger. doubtful it's healthier than home cooked food where you can monitor everything, but it's not bad either.

and getting a sandwich at a good sandwich place is always good if you don't feel like making one yourself or want a change.
Aug 18, 2010 6:04 PM

Dec 2009
Cooking basically involves following the instructions on the back of the back, it's srsly not that hard.

But providing you can operate an oven you'll be fine, there's tons of oven ready meals. They're not that healthy but you can live off of them.

Sandwiches too. Get a decent range of prepared fillings (meat slices etc).
Aug 18, 2010 6:11 PM

Apr 2010
Learn to cook pasta. It's the main food of the single man. It's easy to make and you can eat it with almost anything.
Aug 18, 2010 6:20 PM

Jun 2008
I don't mean to be rude but... 30 years and no idea how to cook? Really?

Anyways, you can probably buy some vegetables that can be boiled fast or can be eaten raw (cucumbers, tomatoes [technically a fruit], cabbages, zucchini, a bunch of Chinese vegetables I dunno in English, etcetc) and dump them into your noodle soup. For meat, you can probably dump a few eggs in, too. If you can find a decently large Chinese grocery store around your neighborhood, there's bound to be cooked meat there instead of those cold ham or whatever you guys eat.

Making a salad is probably easy for you, too. Stuff like lettuce, peppers, tomatoes, carrots can be eaten raw and with some flavoring (there's aplenty in just about every grocery store), you can try them out and see which one you like the most.
Aug 18, 2010 6:20 PM

Jun 2010
I make do pretty well on microwaveable soups and chilis. Some bagged salad and V8 help with the vegetable group.

Also, it may sound childish, but peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are fucking delicious and people are practically born knowing how to make them.
Aug 18, 2010 6:25 PM

Dec 2009
Learn to cook. It's simple stuff.
Aug 18, 2010 6:26 PM

Aug 2010
Ok how about this if all comes to worse just eat fruits.

1. You don't have to cook them.
2. They are food. lol XD
Thor got deleted... D:
Aug 18, 2010 6:49 PM

Jul 2010
Cup noodles :D
Pasta dishes and soups aren't too hard to make.
Samurai_Aug 18, 2010 7:03 PM
Aug 18, 2010 6:54 PM

Nov 2008
Baking chicken is easy providing you can operate an oven and stir fry some frozen vegetables and you have a meal.

Aug 18, 2010 6:58 PM

Dec 2009
Ditto on the learn to cook suggestion. I don't know how to cook but I just look up what I want on Google and then buy ingredients and follow the recipe.
Also eat out. Not at Mc Donalds though. Almost everything there makes me gag or gives me horrible stomach pain.
Aug 18, 2010 7:02 PM

Apr 2010
Become a Pastafarian and learn the wonders of pasta.
Aug 18, 2010 7:08 PM

Jun 2010
Salad, pasta, TV dinners, ramen noodles, canned foods, cereal, frozen pizza, things you put in a toaster, etc.
Aug 18, 2010 7:14 PM

Nov 2006
just be careful with the pasta. eating it alone won't keep you full for long since it's loaded with empty carbs. plus they make people chubs easily.
Aug 18, 2010 7:15 PM

Apr 2010
windy said:
just be careful with the pasta. eating it alone won't keep you full for long since it's loaded with empty carbs. plus they make people chubs easily.
But, if you eat the right things with pasta, it's friggin' great!
Aug 18, 2010 7:16 PM

May 2009
Don't ever think about trying bread and water alone (which I believe your original question was about before you edit the post), you can survive with that for a few months at most, but your health would rapidly and dangerously deteriorate after a few weeks as you would suffer severe lack of vitamins and necessary nutrients that bread and water alone don't provide. You will certainly end up in the hospital if you keep living on such a diet for long.
Now, if you add canned food and instant noodles, it might be more nutritive, but that's still bad for your health.

I study away from home and I'm no gourmet cook either, and my flatmate is even worse than me, but we still manage to have some easy and fairly healthy meals such as veal scallopini/turkey scallops (you can add to these mushrooms, peppers or whatever you want, and though I really don't like meat, I force myself to eat some in a while), tomato and mozza omelette, vegetable salads and easy stuff like that. You don't have to be a cordon bleu cook to eat correctly, all you need is a bit of motivation, there's no reason to live with tasteless canned food and instant noodles even if you aren't good at cooking. Also, seriously, take good care of your health, it's your most valuable capital.
Aug 18, 2010 7:46 PM

Aug 2010
cup noodles
Aug 18, 2010 9:12 PM

Nov 2007
Well, I don't have a lot of cooking options as the place I'm living at has no oven. So I eat a lot of spaghetti and microwave dinners. Not the best, but I'll be back in civilization in six months anyway.
Aug 18, 2010 9:24 PM

Jan 2010
i would not advise eating just cup noodles seeing as its really unhealthy and it is very likely that you could die from just eating that.

If your really cannot cook food, you should just go out and buy food. Don't go to fast food joints, go to actual restaurants where cooks actually spend time making your food. It might be more pricey than fast food or other junk food, but it is undoubtedly healthier and you will live longer... =)
Aug 18, 2010 9:24 PM

Nov 2006
zharnotczar said:
windy said:
But, if you eat the right things with pasta, it's friggin' great!
yes indeed! meat sauce and/or parmesan cheese and a glass of milk om nom nom. or just good 'ol mac & cheese.

for anyone interested, quick mac & cheese that's better than that kraft shit: annie's. it goes on sale a lot at the supermarket near my house so it's cheap too.
Aug 18, 2010 11:01 PM

Nov 2008
Surprised one has yet mention, just buy a cookbook...srsly saw one yesterday with 365 recipes for like $10....you got yourself plans for a full year with that not to mention longer if you don't go out to or buy pre-made stuff
Something cool to be placed here in the near future.
Aug 18, 2010 11:06 PM

Nov 2007
yvanc said:
For those people who don't know how to cook and are living alone.
Maybe some peanut butter and jelly on a bread and water.
Instant noodles or canned foods.

Not too healthy menu but maybe you guys have other suggestions.

PS: I'm assigned to a far away place with my job and are gonna start living on my own. And I don't know how to cook T_T
cut a deal with your roommate or neighbor - pay them a weekly fee to cook a bit more than they normally would for you. it's cheaper than eating out all the time and probably healthier too.
Aug 18, 2010 11:31 PM

Apr 2009
Always have fruit, vegetables in your fridge.
Optional: cheese and white wine.
Aug 18, 2010 11:38 PM

Nov 2007
My cooking skills are very limited, but i'm never going to starve.

1. Frozen dinners: lots of variety, and you can look up the exact nutritional value of what you eat. Plus you don't have to assemble ingredients. Good if you're busy or need something to take to work.

2. Get ground beef, it's easy to cook in a variety of ways that takes little to no skill (burgers, tacos etc). Grilling porkchops or salmon fillets is really easy too, but you might need some herbs/seasonings to taste.

3. Most supermarkets have a section where you can buy pre-cooked whole chickens. You can eat it plain or take the meat and make it into a variety of dishes with very little additional prep (sandwiches, salads, burritos...whatever you can think of).

4. If you have access to Asian groceries, getting those Japanese curry boxes is a good idea. You can cook up a big pot of it without any more effort than cutting up the meat and veggies and letting it boil. You can either make a thicker sauce and serve it over rice, or make it thinner and serve it alone as a stew (add more quantity of veggies/meat then). It freezes well too.
Aug 19, 2010 12:04 AM

Jun 2010
always buy fruits like banana and apple.
cereals, bread, peanut butter, jams, milk, crackers
oatmeal, noodles, microwave ready meals,
learn how to do salad, lettuce, cucumber, tomato, carrots etc. (dont forget the dressing)
buy food processor for guacamoles, good for nachos or tacos
have some stock of health bars, chocolate bars, candy bars, cookies
for visitors coming dial for delivery

and of course learn how to cook if you have spare time. even just frying, so you could make hotdogs and sunnyside up eggs for breakfast.

have an electric stove and non-stick pan for starters. (good for pancakes)
dillianAug 19, 2010 12:29 AM
Aug 19, 2010 12:27 AM

Aug 2009
when i first moved out of home it was take-away for 6 mths...groceries I bought were food you didn't need to cook or could just stick in the microwave....that was 5yrs ago..now I got someone to cook for me when she's over and all i have to say is 'i love her cooking' and it'll be done...i still don't know how to cook though apart from boiled egg, scrambled egg, and egg on toast...and toast(if you can call that cooking)
Aug 19, 2010 12:36 AM
Feb 2010
Learn to cook. The simple stuff is... simple. A fried egg (well, scrambled if you mess up) takes like 3 minutes. You can also boil breakfast sausages. Just pay attention to the cholesterol.
Sandwiches are easy to make. Just be sure to buy sourdough, not that wonder crap. Then just put a bit of mayo, mustard, cheese, tomato and deli meat and it's done.
Salad's easy too. Cut a Romaine heart perpendicularly, toss it with some salt, oil and vinegar, and add tomato and avocado.
If you have a Costco nearby, you can buy a rotiserie chicken for a few bucks and just reheat it in your oven so you don't starve yourself of proteins.
Aug 19, 2010 12:37 AM

Aug 2010
Oh I got it!!

There is always rice. ;D .....don't tell me you don't know how to cook up rice cuz I would - nvm.
Thor got deleted... D:
Aug 19, 2010 1:07 AM
Feb 2010
Start learning how to cook with basics.

As said, eat rice and try it with a few recipes, maybe?
It's never too late to learn how to cook.
Aug 19, 2010 1:43 AM
Dec 2009
It's fun cooking and learning new things. I have learned a lot in the past five years from different people.
Shuck Face / Slinthead!
Aug 19, 2010 1:52 AM

Aug 2010
Mythica said:
Salad, pasta, TV dinners, ramen noodles, canned foods, cereal, frozen pizza, things you put in a toaster, etc.

I support this, canned foods are the most glorious of them all

Aug 19, 2010 2:27 AM

Jul 2010
My mother teached me a few weeks ago how to make french fries,and it's becoming very usefull when I'm alone ;D

Aug 19, 2010 2:35 AM

Aug 2010
kira999 said:
My mother teached me a few weeks ago how to make french fries,and it's becoming very usefull when I'm alone ;D

OMG, congratz to u then xD

Aug 19, 2010 4:50 AM

Jan 2010

• Pasta
  • Instant noodles
  • Able to heat soup
  • Able to chop up vegetables and fry them (It's really not too hard)
  • Toast

All you need to know X3
Aug 19, 2010 5:52 AM

Feb 2010
Cookings not that hard, you can get a lot of microwave stuff now, even for veggies and stuff. I'm a student and I've been living off of pizza, garlic bread and cup a soups over the holidays xD Hehe, I'm still alive.

Seriously you should get in the kitchen and experiment, veggies only take a few mins if you throw them in a pan full of boiling water!

xD
Aug 19, 2010 5:59 AM

Jun 2008
yvanc said:
ZoiQ said:
you go eat out

There is this thing called a restaurant you know.
Aug 19, 2010 4:21 PM

Jan 2008
Monad said:
yvanc said:
ZoiQ said:
you go eat out

restaurants are expensive, I'll be broke in no time if I eat in a restaurant everyday.
Aug 19, 2010 4:39 PM

Apr 2010
yvanc said:
Monad said:
yvanc said:
ZoiQ said:
you go eat out

restaurants are expensive, I'll be broke in no time if I eat in a restaurant everyday.
That's why you eat pasta! It's cheap, easy to make, delicious, and cheap!
Aug 19, 2010 5:11 PM

Apr 2010
Aug 19, 2010 7:57 PM
Sep 2009
I used to have an apartment by myself and I enjoyed cooking a lot actually. Sometimes you lose the motivation though if you're just getting home from work (especially at night) so I would just microwave whatever. Here's some tips though

-Cook in large quantities. Pastas, stews, etc. The rest can be saved and eaten later or at work. For pasta, don't put all the sauce in at once, take the amount you want and then put the sauce on. I don't know about you guys but microwaved pasta with sauce tastes kinda stale when it comes out of the fridge (same happens with mac n' cheese). So I keep them apart, put together, then microwave.

-Chicken is awesome. You can do anything with it, seriously. It only takes about 10 minutes to make it however you want. Put green beans and white rice with it and you'll think you're a chef xD

-Stock on a variety of seasonings, they really come in handy.

-Be creative with breakfast. You don't need cereal everyday do you? You'd be surprised how small changes like this affect your mood throughout the day.

I'm sure I can think of more so if anyone wants to know just ask!
Aug 19, 2010 8:57 PM

Oct 2009
lol, you don't know how to cook!? I didn't even need to be taught. Just put the burner on medium to high and boil away. Seriously, how difficult is that!?

Aug 19, 2010 9:09 PM

Oct 2009
kira999 said:

lmfao, lololol, wut it with all yuu people? Cooking is as easy as turning on your tv's.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» If you married the user above you, what would your life together look like? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Gem - Jun 20, 2016

5998 by MarissaRob »»
17 seconds ago

» You can only save 1 of the 3 users above you! v9 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KayKimii - Jan 28, 2023

2793 by MarissaRob »»
56 seconds ago

» Describe what you immediately feel or think about the above user's profile picture v2 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KayKimii - Mar 8, 2023

2501 by mokkocchi »»
3 minutes ago

» The above User's Favorite Characters is the group you're with in a Zombie appopcolypse. How FUCKED are you? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

StardustNyako - Nov 23, 2015

7246 by Animeistaken »»
4 minutes ago

» Say something only the user above would say ( 1 2 )

ToastWithNutella - Apr 7

82 by mokkocchi »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.