Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 24, 2010 9:44 AM

Sep 2009
Never really used one manga, so it's no big news to me.
In fact, I actually welcome this news.

It signals that there are plans to create a legit system.

And as always.
"If you can't illegally find what you are looking for on the internet, you don't deserve it in the first place."
One Manga dieing is not the end of 'streaming' manga by a long shot.
Jul 24, 2010 9:45 AM

Apr 2009
Onemanga was my alternative site. Aww.

Mangafox, don't go like what onemanga did...
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
Jul 24, 2010 9:46 AM

Sep 2009
Hopefully this signals the beginning of some real action to make a legal 'streaming' site for manga.
Jul 24, 2010 9:46 AM

Jan 2009
Well, there's hope. http://blog.openmanga.org/
Jul 24, 2010 9:50 AM
Jun 2010
thats not completely true what they said was even though the mangas posted on OneManga were done with license that becuase they were going to be respetful to they decide to remove all the content of the page and that were going to leave just the forum so people can talk.
badges
Jul 24, 2010 10:09 AM

Jul 2009
I prefer my manga in paperback. This could be a silver lining in what I think isn't that dark a cloud. There's numerous scanlation sites that are going to cracked down on in the near future, and I would rather hope that my Barnes & Noble get my manga in than to read half way through something only to get roadblocked by the feds. Scanlations for me; the reward is not worth the risk. Supporting the liscensed companies that produce the manga legally encourages movement to make publishers more eager to release it. I don't blame them for busting sites like onemanga, because they're trying legally to protect their product. For instance, I hate TokyoPop, but if they own the rights to one of my favorite series, I'll buy it to let them know what I wanted. Streaming and scanlating without consent of the proper authorities is a crime and I endorse this, even if it comes with a price. (It'll be at least two years before I get volume 9 of Princess Resurrection from DEL REY here in the U.S.) Stay strong.
Jul 24, 2010 10:15 AM

Aug 2006
OneManga said:
"There is an end to everything, to good things as well."

It pains me to announce that this is the last week of manga reading on One Manga (!!). Manga publishers have recently changed their stance on manga scanlations and made it clear that they no longer approve of it. We have decided to abide by their wishes, and remove all manga content (regardless of licensing status) from the site. The removal of content will happen gradually (so you can at least finish some of the outstanding reading you have), but we expect all content to be gone by early next week (RIP OM July 2010).

So what next? We're not really sure at this point, but we have some ideas we would like to try out. Until then, the One Manga forums will remain active and we encourage all of you to continue using them. OMF has developed into a great community and it would be a shame to see that disappear.

You can also show us some love in this moment of sadness by 'liking' our brand new Facebook page. It would be nice to see just how many of you came to enjoy our 'better than peanut butter and jelly' invention.

Regardless of whether you stay with us or not, on behalf of the One Manga team, I would like to thank you all for your unwavering support over the years. Through the ups and downs you have stuck with us, and that is what kept us going.

As a certain Porky was fond of saying... That's all folks!

Time for me to go lay down and let this all sink in.

- Zabi

It peeves me that they make it sound as if the industry is going on an all out crusade on scanlations, when that's not the case (at least not yet). At this point it's only against the large "for-profit" websites. I still don't believe that they make any considerable amount of money, though.
Jul 24, 2010 10:20 AM

Aug 2009
Well, ppl will start dling manga, that's all, such a shame my last manga reading website drops out too :/
Jul 24, 2010 10:24 AM

Sep 2009
Orochi9 said:
I prefer my manga in paperback. This could be a silver lining in what I think isn't that dark a cloud. There's numerous scanlation sites that are going to cracked down on in the near future, and I would rather hope that my Barnes & Noble get my manga in than to read half way through something only to get roadblocked by the feds. Scanlations for me; the reward is not worth the risk. Supporting the liscensed companies that produce the manga legally encourages movement to make publishers more eager to release it. I don't blame them for busting sites like onemanga, because they're trying legally to protect their product. For instance, I hate TokyoPop, but if they own the rights to one of my favorite series, I'll buy it to let them know what I wanted. Streaming and scanlating without consent of the proper authorities is a crime and I endorse this, even if it comes with a price. (It'll be at least two years before I get volume 9 of Princess Resurrection from DEL REY here in the U.S.) Stay strong.

Well, for my I can't afford to pay the highly marked up prices.
When some Manga comes in at TWENTY dollars a pop....I will not support them.
I could buy two novels, and a pop to drink on the bus for the same price.
This is my way of 'supporting them'. Letting them know that I refuse to pay two hundred fifty to a thousand dollars for a single series.

I will give the American Industry the benefit of the doubt though. It's probably not their fault it costs so much. But at the same time, there has never once been an experiment with cheaper manga to test the waters.
Countless online petitions have stated they would purchase American manga at cheaper costs even if it meant a reduction in quality.
Jul 24, 2010 10:32 AM
Apr 2009
PRESSit said:
Well, there's hope. http://blog.openmanga.org/

OpenManga is not free.

"On the paying side, OpenManga is being designed to have it’s own “currency”. You can call it OpenManga Money if you will. Users will be able to purchase OMM via credit card, Paypal, and Webmoney (a Japanese online payment form), with more systems planned down the line. Once users have (re)charged their accounts with OpenManga Money, they will be able to spend their OMM on various things on the OpenManga website such as subscriptions and the OpenManga marketplace. Users will also be able to donate OMM directly to the artists."
Jul 24, 2010 10:46 AM

Jul 2008
well gotta get back to irc and downloading via scanlator sites then or smth..
Jul 24, 2010 11:06 AM

Jul 2010
I was so mad when I heard about this. >:(
I felt like I died and didn't do all I wanted to do in my life XD
There are still other manga sites, but a lot give viruses and some are going in the same direction T__T

Jul 24, 2010 11:24 AM

Oct 2009
The only thing I use OneManga for is to read my daily chapters of Mirai Nikki.
Actually, I do believe that MOST free manga sites will plan to go down sometime later this year or next year. Don't call me a person that thanks OneManga for going down, but it's all copyright stuff and some publishers/companies that licensed this manga series that forces OneManga to go down the drain easily. Some publishers don't like it when this series is translated and released by a fan.

Well, that explains my possible contradictory explanation, now I want my refund.

Jul 24, 2010 11:24 AM

Nov 2008
fuck this has to be the worst news ever
Jul 24, 2010 11:41 AM

Feb 2010
Yup said:
OneManga is as useful as Mininova now.

lol

yup, sucks.
Jul 24, 2010 12:05 PM

Aug 2007
Backup89 said:
I knew this was going to happen, so I've been downloading manga like crazy.
http://mangaripper.wordpress.com/mangarippers/onemangaripper/
Download as much manga as you can :

But Onemanga scans are shit quality. Just DL everything from Mangatraders.
Jul 24, 2010 12:07 PM

Jun 2008
I was expecting this kind of thing to happen sooner with OM when they had to check over their mature series and create 1KM.

Am sad that OM is gonna be gone, but hey, there's always an alternative. Though quite a few of my Alts have already been hit.
Jul 24, 2010 12:35 PM

Nov 2008
Tipical capitalist move, use them to profit and then close them.. scanlation made manga popular and its only because of them that we have manga books in our stores.
Jul 24, 2010 12:46 PM

Oct 2009
Ripper said:
Tipical capitalist move, use them to profit and then close them.. scanlation made manga popular and its only because of them that we have manga books in our stores.
rofl i cant tell if youre actually serious or just trolling
Jul 24, 2010 12:51 PM

Nov 2008
tottaly serious. manga is worldwide business because scanlators exist. ten years ago it was impossible to buy manga
Jul 24, 2010 12:54 PM

Jul 2010
Mari-chi said:
oh noes its the end of the world... manga fox please.

Am I the only one who got viruses from Mangafox? >_>

Jul 24, 2010 12:57 PM

Jan 2010
I don't get any viruses from Mangafox.
Its sad, but we have mangafox and 1000manga :D
Jul 24, 2010 1:17 PM

Jul 2008
I'm quite sad...I'm just upset at how they could get rid of all titles and not just the ones that are licensed...
Jul 24, 2010 1:17 PM

Aug 2008
Nacchi said:
Am I the only one who got viruses from Mangafox? >_>

Probably not, but I've used the site extensively for quite a while with no issues.
Jul 24, 2010 1:23 PM

Jun 2007
This is old news though ._.
still sad

Jul 24, 2010 1:24 PM

Oct 2009
Ripper said:
tottaly serious. manga is worldwide business because scanlators exist. ten years ago it was impossible to buy manga
o wow... just wow
Jul 24, 2010 1:39 PM

Feb 2010
this is sad
Jul 24, 2010 1:39 PM
Oct 2009
sweetbunny34 said:
Ripper said:
o wow... just wow

a perfect example of why entitlementfags and their blatant excuses should be raped. Anyone that believes that the internet has any relevence to popularity in real life outside of maybe horrible memes doesn't live in the real world anyway.

I found another site by using google search for like 30 seconds so this is a non-issue anyway.
kkslider5552000Jul 24, 2010 1:44 PM

Smile, Sweet, Sister, Sadistic, Surprise, Service, Slider
Jul 24, 2010 1:52 PM

Nov 2008
the internet is already in the real world get used to it, and i don´t have facebook, hi5 or some other shitty social thing. and i guess you never tried to buy manga 10 years ago.
RipperJul 24, 2010 2:02 PM
Jul 24, 2010 2:09 PM

Mar 2009
Doomsday_Yomi said:
this sucks

Agreed
Jul 24, 2010 2:09 PM

Mar 2009
It's sad to see OM go, but at the same time they weren't really that great for some manga and didn't really have a wide variety. I'm just glad I finished reading Tsubasa before this surfaced. I have to agree, that, if it wasn't for scanlators (who I thank for their work), I'd probably have to improve my Japanese (hayaku!!!) or wait for only popular-to-the-masses manga to be translated. Where I live it's only Bleach, Naruto and other popular titles.

Jul 24, 2010 2:30 PM

Jul 2007
Drunk_Samurai said:
Backup89 said:
I knew this was going to happen, so I've been downloading manga like crazy.
http://mangaripper.wordpress.com/mangarippers/onemangaripper/
Download as much manga as you can :

But Onemanga scans are shit quality. Just DL everything from Mangatraders.

Or you know, form the channels/websites/trackers of actual scanlators, successfully bypassing the ad-revenue-driven greedy "online manga hosting" business.
Jul 24, 2010 2:34 PM

Dec 2007
Old news, wasn't this already out two days ago?
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jul 24, 2010 3:25 PM

Jun 2009
belatkuro said:

OneManga shutting down leaves me in despair.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jul 24, 2010 3:49 PM

May 2009
AlexSadist-sama said:
Shit happens.
Jul 24, 2010 3:50 PM

Dec 2007
Some stuff are getting removed from Mangafox... doesn't seem like they'll last long...
Jul 24, 2010 3:56 PM
Oct 2008
Hmm ... this sucks I've been using OneManga for 3 years now
Jul 24, 2010 4:24 PM

Apr 2009
This sucks. Been using OM since i remembered. No other sites for me now.
Jul 24, 2010 4:24 PM

Jul 2006
SantaBla said:

Fanboys like you should know their place. There is a golden rule for all anime/manga fans out there. Don't be a douche. Not only you guys are off topic, you are trying to incite a flame war. Grow up.

Hey man, I'm just giving asses of fire a good recommendation. Naruto will just leave him in disappointment; One Piece wont.

Jul 24, 2010 4:42 PM

Jan 2010
Grrrrrr... stupid, greedy publishers >:(
Jul 24, 2010 5:30 PM
Nov 2008
Ripper said:
You give them too much credit. Hell, you're giving them credit.

Newspapers and monthly compilation magazines/reader's digests contribute more to anything manga related than the net.
Jul 24, 2010 6:09 PM

Apr 2008
Yup said:
OneManga is as useful as Mininova now.

Same thought.

Man... I hate them, damn you OneManga, I'm really hurt.
Jul 24, 2010 6:47 PM
Mar 2010
Its a shame an era is dieing, but its also bad on the publishers part I understand they need someone to blame for low sales but realistically if they were to release half of the manga that is only avalible in Japan this wouldnt be an issue. I understand sales, money and so forth but a majority of people got hooked on Manga because of sites like one manga, I purchase manga all the time but I got into manga because of one manga, if I read a story I liked I purchased it in stores if I could find it. They are only hurting themselves by forcing many of these sites to shut down, Mangatoshokan changed to Mahwa, One manga is changing business model, but what type of model without violating copy right. it just a shame the publishers are forcing the closers without providing any substituion for the manga we are losing, i dont know japanese and do not live in japan, how are we to access manga that may never reach the US, There is manga in Japan at volume 10 while here in the US we are only up to volume 2, they are stupid for niot thinking this through they wants fans to buy manga but dont publish and release on the same scale for the US, they get volume 10 of a good series meanwhile we wait and wait for a volume 3 maybe 6 to 12 months. Its a shame, damm shame
Jul 24, 2010 6:49 PM
Oct 2009
I don't get what the big deal is. It's not the end of the world.

Everyone'll just flock to mangafox now.
Jul 24, 2010 6:52 PM
Mar 2010
It makes me laugh good sites like one manga get shut down meanwhile virus central manga fox is still up and running and adding series, can we see there is something wrong with this. One manga we didnt have to deal with the 1000 videos and talking ads loaded with viruses, it a bad day when Manga fox is allowed to remain while OM is killed off
Jul 24, 2010 6:54 PM
Mar 2010
I dont see manga fox lasting long because if the official letter posted by the publishers along with mangatoshokan and one manga, manga fox was cited as one of the big time violators, so I dont think they will allow manga fox to keep operating unless they do a server jump to a country they cant be touched in
Jul 24, 2010 7:07 PM

Mar 2010
Really the only good thing that I can think of about Onemanga was that it had tons of manga. But honestly I prefer Quality over Quantity.
SSJLuffyJul 24, 2010 7:10 PM
Jul 24, 2010 7:09 PM

Nov 2009
R.I.P. Onemanga
Jul 24, 2010 7:46 PM

Jan 2009
hechec said:
It makes me laugh good sites like one manga get shut down meanwhile virus central manga fox is still up and running and adding series, can we see there is something wrong with this. One manga we didnt have to deal with the 1000 videos and talking ads loaded with viruses, it a bad day when Manga fox is allowed to remain while OM is killed off

One manga a good site? They basically took Viz(And other's ect...) books scanned them online and made profits off of it. They never even bothered to update their terrible quality. They deserve to be shut down.
Jul 24, 2010 8:04 PM
Aug 2009
Sucks that OneManga is shutting down :[

I don't really read Manga on the Interent since I actually want to read the book but the only Manga that I read there was "Hana to Akuma"
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Q2 2024 Anime & Manga Licenses

Snow - Apr 5

2 by alpha_shadow »»
2 hours ago

» 'Overlord: Sei Oukoku-hen' Movie Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer, Fall 2024 Premiere

Doshigatai - Mar 22

6 by rikazkhan »»
4 hours ago

» 'Tensei shitara Dainana Ouji Datta node, Kimama ni Majutsu wo Kiwamemasu' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Mar 4

1 by AxaraCereb »»
Yesterday, 2:31 PM

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

18 by MrShadowDUH »»
Yesterday, 2:21 PM

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Apr 25

9 by Playcool »»
Yesterday, 12:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.