Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 9, 2008 3:33 PM

Nov 2007
Shao said:
accela said:
*attempts to read through the entire thread*

CONCLUSION: THIS THREAD IS:

You sir, have just solved the mystery of...whatever these people are talking about :P

Yea I gave up after page 1.
All I have to say about this: Oh that sucks.

Now to move on with life...
May 9, 2008 3:41 PM

Mar 2007
Yeah It does suck, this will make people less inclined to rip RAWs off TV, I hope it doesn't get to the point where fansubbers will find it hard to find RAWs to sub... :S
Join the Kyonko Fanclub Today! | Join the MAL Tenjou Tenge Fanclub Today!
May 9, 2008 3:56 PM

May 2007
TL:DR

eLiT3_ said:
I hope it doesn't get to the point where fansubbers will find it hard to find RAWs to sub... :S
Me too.
That would be pretty much of a loss.
But i'm sure this won't be extinguished.
If necessary, things will go underground, just like warez and stuff.

I fell bad for those guys.
May 9, 2008 4:45 PM

May 2008
This is very bad news for people like me, whose country doesn't sell animes at all!
May 9, 2008 4:59 PM

Aug 2007
I'll say this Just to stand out I download everything I can online since I'm dead broke atm at least until the next anime convention. I share all of my anime with friends regardless if it was bought or downloaded, I don't care and they don't either.

Take one look at my list and you'll know immediately.

But you know it is sad that they were caught but like any other incident everyone will have forgotten it by tomorrow.
May 9, 2008 5:00 PM

Nov 2007
Ok ppl, it seems this has gone a bit out of hand...

Back to the topic: anime sharing and why distributors are having a hard time dealing with it.

First of all, just so that you know my position in all this worldwide-mess, I live in a country of the European Union where there is NO ANIME. There are no distributors, and the foreign one that releases DVD's here uses such crappy subs they make crappy fansubs look admirable.

The reason behind the whole piracy thing going on, not only with anime, but also with music and movies is just one: a system was created in order to distribute these materials in a profitable way. Since the client was forced to "purchase in order to enjoy", everything seemed alright. Then along came the www.

When ppl started learning about a way to access the stuff for free, they immediately stopped buying it.

Now, why would they do that? Concerning anime DVDs, the reasons are clear: they are overpriced and take forever to be released. (right now I'm talking as if I lived in the US, since in many European countries they simply don't get released).

How does the industry react? Instead of improving the system they created, they try to force ppl to buy the stuff. Here's a simple analogy:

A kid lives with his mother. His mother loves to bake cookies. Her cookies suck. Their neighbours' cookies are pure win. Mommy is jealous that her son prefers the neighbour's cookies. The neighbour is always willing to give free cookies to the kid. The mother keeps telling her son not to eat the neighbour’s cookies instead of her own. The son is not a dumbfuck, so he doesn't give a rat's ass and always goes to the neighbour for cookies.

Can anyone tell me what did the mother do wrong? Simple: instead of yelling and bitchin' about, she should have tried to make better cookies. The kid would then be happy to have her cookies instead of the neighbours'.

How does this relate to the present situation? Here's how:
I simply cannot understand how fansub groups, whose members are not getting any profit from it, manage to translate and release an episode way faster than companies whose employees make a livin' out of selling the DVD's! They can’t just expect us to wait months for the series to be licensed, and then pay ridiculous sums to obtain them! And don’t forget that, all those who don’t watch dubs pay for the work of an entire crew of dubbers, which they simply don’t want!

Solution:
-dual releases (sub-only edition (MUCH cheaper) / sub+dub edition)
-Faster releases (dubbed versions would be released a bit later, obviously)
-lower prices (considering the increase in sales that would result from faster releases, profits could be maintained)

Also, the anime studios could also try to make the releases reach Europe, as it is a promising market for the anime industry (I know what I’m talking about).

I wish to be moved. I cannot feel in life.
May 9, 2008 5:39 PM

May 2007
@DarkMessiah

You see, i deeply agree with you.

Just one thing i think you might be missing.
While subs get donations, better, lets suppose they don't, server/bot/tracker costs is not as high as the cost to make an anime, mind you.

I will just state somethings anime industry has to pay:
-Imposts
-Patenting names, brands, logos etc.
-Mass printing / TV airing costs
-Dubs. (Mind that in Japan, Seyuus are just like Actors.)
-Music rights. (OP/ED)
-Etc.

Also, when they publish a new work, its not sure if it will be well accepted by the people.
Its a gamble which can result in loads o money going directly into the trash can.
May 9, 2008 5:45 PM

Jan 2008
Flame_Haze said:
Warll said:
Flame_Haze said:
MAL can still survive even if all fansubs were eliminated worldwide. People who go to jail for ripping AND uploading anime on p2p are getting their just reward.

I total agree I am modified by people who disregard artificial government imposed restrictions on what they can do with what they have bought lawfully. I mean honesty think of the children!

Ok I'll drop the BS and just make it clear I use fansubs, and buy stuff I really like if its a decent price. Although more then that I am am pro extreme copy"right" reform.

PS: whats good for the goose is good for the gander, your current avatar and sig are themselves vilolations of copyright. Therefor according to your own logic you should be turning yourself in right about now.
bluecorp said:
dude..juss about every anime on ur list is currently airing...and some that aren't currently airing...rnt yet released in north america...

Dude I don't care. I'm rewatching Lucky Star and Noein that I have legit dvds . Don't piss your pants because I'm watching shows legally on veoh, youtube, and crunchyroll.

sorry to tell you but watching anime online on sites such as those is VERY illegal, so go fuck yourself, don't try to dump your shit on people who were nice enough to bring anime to an asshole like you
May 9, 2008 6:22 PM

Sep 2007
DarkMessiah and Ryushi pretty much summed up the anime industry. And the people telling Flame_Haze to go fuck himself are naturally biased because they love anime. Yeah, it would be a disappointment if raws were stopped, stopping fansubbing, but I do believe many anime fans need to learn patience. You wouldn't believe the number of complaints fansub groups get for them being too slow or sucking when they're giving a free service. If internet sharing was stopped, it would be a damn shame (not that it will ever be stopped.), but I'm prepared to read some reviews before spending my cash on anime. And as I said before, manga is a good thing to fall back on.

But if they got caught, it was their own fault for not being careful enough. I'm not gonna sympathize when there's thousands of other people doing the same thing. And I also figure those who flame the flamer are as bad as the original flamer. Especially since most of you are saying "go fuck yourself for dumping shit on the people who provide you anime". The anime watching population does it all day long to sub groups anyway, so what's the difference? I guess people get joy on picking on the person with a different opinion. (Though I do think Flame_Haze is being hypocritical, some of his points are actually valid to an extent and he has every right to his opinion. Though people in general seem to love jumping on the bandwagon and throwing shit at the 'weird kid'.)

Furthermore, by sympathizing with the uploaders, you are essentially dumping shit on the creators of the anime.
May 9, 2008 6:35 PM

Jun 2007
Shiranai said:
kimatg said:
Flame_Haze said:
Dude I don't care. I'm rewatching Lucky Star and Noein that I have legit dvds . Don't piss your pants because I'm watching shows legally on veoh, youtube, and crunchyroll.

Unless it's not "BLASSREITER" or "Tower of Druaga" directly provided by GONZO that you're watching on Youtube, veoh, crunchyroll etc,
there is no difference in watching through a streaming site or through Torrent/P2P downloads.

What makes you think watching all the uploaded vids on YT is "legal"?

Watching the content off of video sharing sites like youtube is legal. Downloading it is illegal. See, here's where you're getting mixed up: It's illegal for it to be on those sites, but not illegal to view them.

Sites that stream content still get downloaded on your computer. Search your temporary Internet files and temp folders on your PC. So yes, it's illegal to watch anime on youtube, veoh and any other video site. Unless the anime producers are offering the anime up for free stream. If they are then it's perfectly fine to watch. But last time I checked lucky star wasn't one of them :P.

I hope this puts a dent in everyones false sense of security for watching bad quality streaming content.
May 9, 2008 6:42 PM

Aug 2007
Shiranai said:
DarkMessiah and Ryushi pretty much summed up the anime industry. And the people telling Flame_Haze to go fuck himself are naturally biased because they love anime. Yeah, it would be a disappointment if raws were stopped, stopping fansubbing, but I do believe many anime fans need to learn patience. You wouldn't believe the number of complaints fansub groups get for them being too slow or sucking when they're giving a free service. If internet sharing was stopped, it would be a damn shame (not that it will ever be stopped.), but I'm prepared to read some reviews before spending my cash on anime. And as I said before, manga is a good thing to fall back on.

But if they got caught, it was their own fault for not being careful enough. I'm not gonna sympathize when there's thousands of other people doing the same thing. And I also figure those who flame the flamer are as bad as the original flamer. Especially since most of you are saying "go fuck yourself for dumping shit on the people who provide you anime". The anime watching population does it all day long to sub groups anyway, so what's the difference? I guess people get joy on picking on the person with a different opinion. (Though I do think Flame_Haze is being hypocritical, some of his points are actually valid to an extent and he has every right to his opinion. Though people in general seem to love jumping on the bandwagon and throwing shit at the 'weird kid'.)

Furthermore, by sympathizing with the uploaders, you are essentially dumping shit on the creators of the anime.

I agree with pretty much all of what Shiranai said.

And I love how this topic turned (almost right away) into a huge flaming orgy.

Felli disapproves of this thread.
May 9, 2008 6:44 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
People, please be polite while addressing your co-users....

Flame-Haze, you seem to be too sided with the corporations and the governmental laws. Think outside the box for a bit...

*****Illegal DOES NOT imply inethical or immoral*****
All illegal means is that the laws, which are made my humans, say so.
I can act morally right and illegally just as the opposite is true.

Each and everyone one of us have different ethical opinions. As a more utilitarianist, I would say fansubbing is morally acceptable and current laws don't seem to work very well against it.

Here are my points:
-most of the MAL users are not living in Japan, which means getting anime is not as easy as it sounds. Sure, local dvd may come out but....check out the price, it's usually much higher (because of relatively lower demand compared to local videos).
Also, unlike music albums which cost 20$, a single DVD cost more. PLUS, anime is not like listening to music. Once you watch it once or twice you usually don't watch it again for while. I watch 15-16 series at a time, and series that are airing in Japan right now. In order to get the legal copy of everything not only I will need
to wait but I will need to FIND them (because demand is still low, few places sell it and in result they are more expensive than they should). Fansubbing is the fastest way to distribute anime outside Japan (which is a GOOD THING for the industry). Or else, my anime hobbies will be greatly affected (negatively) and I will end up watching less anime overall. (If I can't get it for free then I probably not be able to buy everything anyway so I may simply watch less anime. This is good for the companies because they make more profit from me but for the CULTURE itself it is not good...if ALL you think is MONEY and more MONEY, then you are wrong. Culture is something shared with everyone. It is through sharing that culture survives and prosper. Certainly money must be paid to the artists and creators to make them live but not as much and it should NOT OBLIGATORY to everyone, especially people living overseas and having a hard time getting hand on this culture.)

-Fansubbing doesn't have as big of an effect on Japanese anime industry. Just like illegal mp3 downloading, where are we now? After nearly 10 years of illegal sharing, is any music industry on the border of bankrupcy? Look around you now (in the bus, on the street)... do you realize that with the coming of internet MORE people are listening to music than 10 years ago (even though illegally?) Anime, like music is a CULTURE. Sure, you can compare this to pirated movies but pirated movies can be WATCHED in a theater right after its release while (unless living in Japan) anime CANNOT.

-Are the people fansubbing selling them for their own profits? NO. They are doing it for the anime communities that ARE NOT living in Japan. Although for people living in Japan, this is not the case then. However, how about recording your favourite tv show on a cassette and keep it to rewatch it again? How about passing it to your friends? At which point does it become inethical? Those are questions no one can clearly provide an answer because of its ambiguity.

This is nearly exactly the same issue as mp3 downloading. Music companies don't want that because they supposedly diminuish their profits. However, people often download music to test the music they never heard before. And a lot of them, if they really like it, will end up buying them at the end. Conversely, when I am going to have more financial ressources, I will start spending more money in the anime industry. That's why they thought of IPODS and ITUNES, but it's already too late because people are too addicted to downloads.

Sure the three uploaders were arrested because they were in Japan and allegedly uploaded anime online, which is prohibited by copyright laws. However, fansubbing is a different story. We may all be a bit off-topic talking about fansubbing instead of sharing anime INSIDE JAPAN. THAT IS THE FUNDAMENTAL DIFFERENCE HERE.

Sharing at mild moderation is not harmful to the industry. Instead, it helps it. There is no indication or proof anime industry is declining right now because of fansubbing or online streaming.

Of course, this is a more moralistic view, unlike the legal view everyone else provided.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
May 9, 2008 7:02 PM

Feb 2008
Kyoto Police has a special team dedicated only to the P2P crimes. They don't care the controvercy over the fansub activities. They are persistent like a hound and catch rippers by any means.
May 9, 2008 7:09 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Added points:

-Realize that when you download, you are not getting stuffs for FREE. You are PAYING for the bandwidth. NOT MUCH but you still PAID for it (more than 40$ per month for me) This argument holds for all online download.

-Fansub and uploaded anime are not as high quality as the original or the official release. Not matter how HD the encoding is, it can't beat the original verison. Therefore, Japanese fans tend to buy their favourite anime officially for collection purposes and watch online anime simply for convenience.

-The current market price for anime in Japan and outside of Japan is very high. For Japanese collectors, anime is an expensive hobby. For foreigners, this is even worse. All this money is certainly not justified and is too much. I do accept paying for online anime if they can officially/legally let anime be distributed online. If you ask me to donate a certain percentage of my income to the creators and artists, I would gladly accept as long as it is reasonable. Personally, a 0.50-1.00$/episode for an online version is acceptable and reasonable. If you think this is not much then think about how many people are watching anime online versus people actually buying them. But still, I think free alternative should always be available (but that's just my opinion)
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
May 9, 2008 7:19 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
dtshyk said:
Kyoto Police has a special team dedicated only to the P2P crimes. They don't care the controvercy over the fansub activities. They are persistent like a hound and catch rippers by any means.

Yes, P2P crime is on the radar. But I think they should spent more time looking at hackers, privacy/identity theft, online fraud, online gang activities and profit-driven piracy cases than on people uploading anime that will eventually end up overseas.

Just like with Napster, users and uploader were sued for insane amount of money WHICH DOESN't make any sense. Police are cracking on unsuspecting uploaders simply because they are the easier target for "internet regulation and copyright infringement". Real underground software or movie piracy organizations are much harder to catch. Police are only cracking up the most inoffensive of all....

And if the rumours are correct and the three people arrested are proven to be three well-known major raw providers, then be ready to enter a temporary fansub DARK AGE, where fansubbers are in a raws crisis. If the rumors are true then many airing series will not be subbed for the following week. Let's wait and see.

wakka9caMay 9, 2008 7:30 PM
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:
May 9, 2008 7:24 PM

Nov 2007
wakka9ca said:

-The current market price for anime in Japan and outside of Japan is very high. For Japanese collectors, anime is an expensive hobby. For foreigners, this is even worse.

No. Japanese collectors pay a hellova lot more than the rest of the world. Up to $90 (USD) for TWO EPISODES per disc where in most of the world, that will buy the entire series box set. It's not uncommon for box sets in Japan to be over $500. Collecting in R2 is a very serious commitment, not for the casual fan.
May 9, 2008 7:34 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Asako said:
wakka9ca said:

-The current market price for anime in Japan and outside of Japan is very high. For Japanese collectors, anime is an expensive hobby. For foreigners, this is even worse.

No. Japanese collectors pay a hellova lot more than the rest of the world. Up to $90 (USD) for TWO EPISODES per disc where in most of the world, that will buy the entire series box set. It's not uncommon for box sets in Japan to be over $500. Collecting in R2 is a very serious commitment, not for the casual fan.

Yes, in 2 episode/disc format, the prices reach the prices of stamps and coin collectibles. For foreigners, I was referring to IMPORTING original anime from Japan through mail, not buying locally. And there are compression versions of anime in other format and cheaper dvd boxes in Japan too. And don't forget that the price of goods are expensive overall in Japan.

And now with expensice bluray....
wakka9caMay 9, 2008 7:38 PM
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:
May 9, 2008 7:50 PM

Oct 2007
Heheh, readng this topic has made me want think of a plan to remove all non-anime fans from japan, and move all anime fans into japan :P

Then, there wouldn't be a be a problem with uploading raws to the net, since (and this is just a guess) nobody will do it :P

And I can fix the language problems too, everyone will learn "Japanese", of course it wont be called, "Japanese", it'd be called, "Otakunese" :P

People will have to reeducated, but at least it would get rid of the problems with uploading anime online...and bring a end to this thread...
Icy-nee-sanMay 9, 2008 7:53 PM
May 9, 2008 8:07 PM

Aug 2007
wakka9ca said:
Asako said:
wakka9ca said:

Yes, in 2 episode/disc format, the prices reach the prices of stamps and coin collectibles. For foreigners, I was referring to IMPORTING original anime from Japan through mail, not buying locally. And there are compression versions of anime in other format and cheaper dvd boxes in Japan too. And don't forget that the price of goods are expensive overall in Japan.

And now with expensice bluray....

People who`ve never lived in Japan though don`t realize (speaking for myself, before I started living there) that once the Japanese pick a hobby, they don`t care about price. Whereas most "Westerners" still want the cheapest price of goods possible, even if it`s something they really like, if the Japanese like something, they`ll buy it, regardless of the cost. The normal economic laws of supply and demand go out the window: I`ve seen women with thousands of dollars worth of handbags, guys who spend the same amount on fishing equipment, and of course, the otaku who doesn`t think twice about dropping $500 for a box set.

I think most of us here can`t comprehend that mindset, as must the uploaders of the raws (but I have yet to meet an anime fan here, even a casual one, that didn`t buy copious amounts of goods and instead just leeched off the raws).
May 9, 2008 8:26 PM

Feb 2008
Wow...um...let me at least say this.

I'm 20, I like to watch anime. I'm in college and working towards my career. Right now I'm working a minimum wage job (6.25 per hr) and get about 30 hrs a week. Gas prices have emptied my wallet. Food prices are going higher and it's gonna get harder eating the way you want.

I mean COME ONE PEOPLE! We gotta get something for free! lol. Something we enjoy!

Trust me, I used to buy the DVD's all the time and I had a collection going. Now, 4 episodes for $30!!!!! Come on!

That's....probably over 5 hours of work for me after taxes to buy 1 DVD. Then let's add it up. Let's say that the series is 3 discs long...$90!!! Plus Tax!!! That's over 15 hours of work, which is 1/4 of my paycheck! Don't even get me started on 6 discs series.

Thank god for Netflix!

Now, do you think that sales would be higher for the anime industry if the prices weren't so high? I would actually buy most of them if they weren't $30 each.

May 9, 2008 8:44 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
aranelcharis said:

People who`ve never lived in Japan though don`t realize (speaking for myself, before I started living there) that once the Japanese pick a hobby, they don`t care about price. Whereas most "Westerners" still want the cheapest price of goods possible, even if it`s something they really like, if the Japanese like something, they`ll buy it, regardless of the cost. The normal economic laws of supply and demand go out the window: I`ve seen women with thousands of dollars worth of handbags, guys who spend the same amount on fishing equipment, and of course, the otaku who doesn`t think twice about dropping $500 for a box set.

I think most of us here can`t comprehend that mindset, as must the uploaders of the raws (but I have yet to meet an anime fan here, even a casual one, that didn`t buy copious amounts of goods and instead just leeched off the raws).

that is obsessive buying. I play magic the gathering by the way and I spend like at least 100$ per month on it so i understand that idea.

however, the cases you listed are only the extremes and are NOT well spread and COMMON at all. You are exaggerating. I'm sorry but that is a misconception and stereotype. Spending money on your hobbies is normal and cheap no longer counts even for "westerners" there is no difference (btw although I don't live in Japan, I do watch nhk news sometimes) And for otaku, we mean obsessive fans and of course they don't think about money. I'm talking about regular people.

And also, MY POINT is that in Japan, real fans don't get affected by this sharing business (although online anime is more popular people still buy the releases) So you are right in a sense. But please don't overgeneralize Japanese (you make them sound like obsessive people without common sense. that would be true only for a small group of people).
wakka9caMay 9, 2008 8:51 PM
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:
May 9, 2008 8:56 PM

Aug 2007
wakka9ca said:
aranelcharis said:

that is obsessive buying. I play magic the gathering by the way and I spend like at least 100$ per month on it so i understand that idea.

however, the cases you listed are only the extremes and are NOT well spread and COMMON at all. You are exaggerating. I'm sorry but that is a misconception and stereotype. Spending money on your hobbies is normal and cheap no longer counts even for "westerners" there is no difference (btw although I don't live in Japan, I do watch nhk news sometimes) And for otaku, we mean obsessive fans and of course they don't think about money. I'm talking about regular people.

And also, MY POINT is that in Japan, real fans don't get affected by this sharing business (although online anime is more popular people still buy the releases) So you are right in a sense. But please don't overgeneralize Japanese (you make them sound like obsessive people without common sense. that would be true only for a small group of people).

Of course what I said is a generalization, but it`s not an over-generalization. They are obsessive people. Is that a bad thing? The positives of such behavior is that they put their heart and soul into whatever they like doing, which may be why they`re so good at what they do (ie: sports, music, basically anything that they spend a lot of time on).

Saying "regular" people is also a stereotype. What`s the definition of a "regular" person? Most "regular" people in Japan do not watch anime very much (from all the people I have talked to, if your definition of "regular" people means the average businessman or housewife) and thus would never think of buying it. Perhaps their teenaged kids do (one mother I talked to was concerned her kids watched Bleach every day on TV), but they on the whole do not. Therefore, they do not count in this discussion.
aranelcharisMay 9, 2008 9:03 PM
May 9, 2008 9:52 PM

Jun 2007
And nothing of value was lost.
May 9, 2008 9:57 PM

Nov 2007
KrylonSigma said:
And nothing of value was lost.

For me, NO.

I can see this thing is effective immediately...
like today's Kanokon EP6 RAW is nowhere to be found online. Not up in Share like it used to be last week. (though Kanokon's usual ripper was not one of the arrested ones)

No RAWs=No fansubs=No way of watching unless a DVD is released or something after 1-2 years (or never).

Done.

kimatg on | blog | pixiv | deviantART
May 9, 2008 9:59 PM

Jun 2007
kimatg said:
Today's Kanokon EP6 is nowhere to be found online.

Like i said.

Nothing of value was lost.
May 9, 2008 10:08 PM

Nov 2007
KrylonSigma said:
kimatg said:

Like i said.

Oh? so what is it that you value? Code Geass? well guess what: nobody knows if CG is gonna be uploaded just like it used to like last week.
and as I said, No RAWs=No watch.

And if all that doesn't really matter, I'm surprised you're here in MAL. :P

May 9, 2008 10:10 PM
May 2008
There are more than a million users worldwide who are also doing the same thing, so it's practically impossible to stop the uploading of anime.
May 9, 2008 10:12 PM

Nov 2007
Well,

...........We'll see how everything works out.

and seriously hope it does.

May 9, 2008 10:17 PM

Jun 2007
wakka9ca said:
Added points:
-Fansub and uploaded anime are not as high quality as the original or the official release. Not matter how HD the encoding is, it can't beat the original verison. Therefore, Japanese fans tend to buy their favourite anime officially for collection purposes and watch online anime simply for convenience.

I think what you meant to say was Streaming video is not as high quality as the original.

The reason I mention this is because most torrent downloads come in HD quality, ripped off from DVDs. Now if you buy the DVD and compare the quality from the download and the original, there the same. There's no quality drop if it's DVD rips or cable/satellite settop rips which almost all the raws are now a days.
May 9, 2008 10:20 PM

Nov 2007
if only anime can be free distributed. it will be great.
May 9, 2008 10:21 PM
Jun 2007
Wow I came back too this. Uhh, yea. I win.

Alright, so my ego at this point has probably expanded past the milky way. Yea.

But honestly I think I won back at the DMCA. You just refused too accept I was right, and continued too say I was completely wrong. But I'll remind you that I did accept that I was wrong about Canada.

Oh and all you fellow Canadians who didn't read earlier on: Apparently it's 100% legal for us too get this stuff. Simply because the RCMP can't be bothered too look through the hundreds of seeders and leechers on torrents and find the Canadian ones, track them down and arrest them. So instead they've decided they just don't care at all. Yay!

May 9, 2008 10:21 PM

Jun 2007
kimatg said:
KrylonSigma said:
kimatg said:

Like i said.

Oh? so what is it that you value? Code Geass? well guess what: nobody knows if CG is gonna be uploaded just like it used to like last week.
and as I said, No RAWs=No watch.

And if all that doesn't really matter, I'm surprised you're here in MAL. :P

Nope.

Could careless about Code geass.

I really don't see the big deal about possibly waiting a bit longer than usual to watch new episodes of your favorite show unless you have no life.

List of Anime affected.

Library War
to-love-ru
Real drive
kaiba
code geass R2

kurenai
kyouran kazoku nikki
xxxholic 2
KrylonBlueMay 9, 2008 10:33 PM
May 9, 2008 10:35 PM
Jun 2007
rkrempel said:
That was a bit naive since it is, as people have said, the other way around, but as it happens...

It's not a law, but a treaty.

I, under article 10.1 of the ECHR...

It isn't information, but Intellectual Property. All those laws you posted apply too freedom of information, not copyrights and Intellectual Property. Good attempt though.

May 9, 2008 10:36 PM
Jun 2007
KrylonSigma said:

List of Anime affected.

Library War
to-love-ru
Real drive
kaiba
code geass R2

kurenai
kyouran kazoku nikki
xxxholic 2

Thankfully someone else has put a RAW Kaiba up. It's a bigger size but it's still there. Yay!

May 9, 2008 11:42 PM
Jun 2007
misa-misa-chan said:

sorry to tell you but watching anime online on sites such as those is VERY illegal, so go fuck yourself, don't try to dump your shit on people who were nice enough to bring anime to an asshole like you

No it's not and even if my government puts legislation in place that says it is, I can sue them before the European Human Rights Court and I'd win. I'm _very_ sure this true for anyone living in the EC.
rkrempelMay 10, 2008 12:21 AM
May 9, 2008 11:53 PM

Mar 2008
I only watch English Dubbed anime. I watch it on TV, DVDs, on the Internet, and also by downloading it off of the Internet and onto my computer.

I totally agree that Fansubs and RAWs should be banned from America.

English Dubbed anime RULES!!! WOOT!!!

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
May 10, 2008 12:02 AM

Nov 2007
babynaruto1 said:
I only watch English Dubbed anime. I watch it on TV, DVDs, on the Internet, and also by downloading it off of the Internet and onto my computer.

I think you just contradicted yourself there, you said you watch by downloading off the internet?
So I should think you're ONLY watching "dubbed" episodes up on the internet? Wait.. were there even any "dubbed" anime episodes on YouTube? who knows. :P

KrylonSigma said:

I really don't see the big deal about possibly waiting a bit longer than usual to watch new episodes of your favorite show unless you have no life.

It's not a problem of waiting longer or not. I was talking if the actual providing of RAWs stopped altogether.
Well there is always a chance of newbie rippers coming up through after incident (which I strongly hope)
some shows like Special A was only being ripped by YS2. So if there are no other rippers next week... you've just missed the episode.

And yes I do have a life, and I'm loving it.

May 10, 2008 12:19 AM
Jun 2007
AnimusNathan said:
rkrempel said:
That was a bit naive since it is, as people have said, the other way around, but as it happens...

It's not a law, but a treaty.

I, under article 10.1 of the ECHR...

It isn't information, but Intellectual Property. All those laws you posted apply too freedom of information, not copyrights and Intellectual Property. Good attempt though.

To defend intellectual property rights, the wronged party can only go after the supplier/uploader. As a consumer, I'm not required to check for propertry right violations when I buy something. If I'm not buying, but getting something for free, I'm even less constrained. But, as I go further into details, it depends more and more on the laws of the country you're in. This is 100% true for the Netherlands.

I cited the ECHR because it's basic, general, covers a large number of countries and meant to protect my right to receive information, regardless of content.

I know it's not specifically meant to allow me to d/l anime for free, but as the treaty stands, it does that, so legally I'm in the clear. Since privately, I believe intelectual property rights are misused to create monopolies and gauge prices, I have no moral obligations when d/l anime either.
May 10, 2008 12:22 AM

Jun 2007
All Major fansub group have a Private Capper who provides them with raws of certain shows just for them.

Most of the REALLY popular stuff will not be affected.
May 10, 2008 12:44 AM

Feb 2008
many many people have been arrested for video/music sharing her in the US for some time now, and yet people can still manage to find pirated media. just because a few people get arested doesnt mean that everyone just stops. doesnt mean its legal, it just means that people will get smarter about their uploading/sharing.
May 10, 2008 12:57 AM

Nov 2007
omg, is it possible that Code Geass R2 will no longer be fansubed?

0.o

I wish to be moved. I cannot feel in life.
May 10, 2008 1:02 AM

Nov 2007
Like that would be a loss...

Come on, R2 is starting to fail.
May 10, 2008 1:06 AM

Apr 2007
babynaruto1 said:

XD that made me laugh so hard

and about R2 in my opinion it looks better than the first CG
May 10, 2008 1:58 AM

Mar 2008
OMG Jesus ! Mods, please stop this trolling and close this thread !

So yeah, 3 people arrested ? OMG NOES the world is ending !
Seriously, who gives a damn to that ? They did something illegal. They were arrested. Logic.
So they were popular in the fansub "industry" ? That's sad. They will be replaced by new people. So don't cry. You'll continue to have your fansubs.

To flame_haze :
I guess you're true to an extent. Yes, fansub can kill the anime industry. If nobody buys the dvds (and goodies too), the companies will face (in very long term) bankrupt.
I'm an anime freak. I buy like 5-6 animes dvds per month, goodies like pvc statues, etc... I have subscriptions to japanese magazines, blah blah blah...

But i'm downloading fansubs. Why ? Because i have to know which animes i'll buy when they'll be licensed in Usa. (Even if i'm not living there)
I'm sorry, but i don't trust official animes reviews or such. I don't want to spend my money on some anime i'll not like in the end.

The real problem here is education. Yes, education. The anime community is now full of teens, they think the net is their place where they are powerful and such. They don't know about real life (you know, working, paying bills, etc...), so they don't give a damn to official works. In my opinion, if they would have more respect to that, at least, some of them would buy animes dvds, maintaining the good balance.

Enough said.
This topic need to be closed.

May 10, 2008 2:13 AM

Apr 2008
Flame_Haze said:
Canned Dogs says they was one of the most popular. http://zepy.momotato.com/2008/05/09/police-arrest-3-people-that-shared-anime-on-share/

This is a blow to fansubs and if things continue fansubs will be hurt overall and that's a good thing. Once people can't get their free anime fix anytime they want they will either buy dvds, only watch it on tv/adultswim fix etc., from their friends collections, or stop watching anime all together.
Flame_Haze said:
Youtube, Veoh and Crunchyroll are all legal for me to watch anime on. Too bad I'm not breaking any law.
Flame_Haze said:
I'm guessing it doesn't matter, correct? I watch both.
Flame_Haze said:
It doesn't matter where those videos come from since I had no hand in them getting to the site. If the illegal fansubs don't go on the sites I'm fine with that.

@bluecorp
It wouldn't bother me at all if they stopped subbing and releasing the raws of the series I'm "watching" atm. FYI some of the series I'm currently watching is on LEGAL dvds so stfu.

Edit #2: Well rewatching actually.
Flame_Haze said:

Flame_Haze said:
It's not illegal to watch streams on a site like them. The uploaders who upload the content are responsible for their content, not the people who watch it. Sorry I'm not doing anything illegal as much as you want to say and prove I am, when you can't.
Flame_Haze said:
Well you see fansubs are doing something called killing the anime industry. Not stopping them means an eventual total annihilation of the anime industry or just a couple of "guaranteed" safe shows that will sell well in Japan's market but not elsewhere.

Mr. Flame Haze, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

May 10, 2008 2:48 AM
Jun 2007
akuma2002 said:
OMG Jesus ! Mods, please stop this trolling and close this thread !

You're just as hypocritical as Flame_Haze. You go on a rant about saving the industry, but admit that you still download. "I have too know which anime I'll buy." What a load of lies. You don't need too see the entire thing too know if you generally find it too be good. You don't get too see a whole movie before deciding if you'll pay for your ticket.

Don't try too claim moral and monetary righteousness.

I personally won't buy most anime when it comes out. I download it because I want too see it. I'll buy it if I really want too own it or rewatch it. I am fully aware of what I am doing and make no excuses for it.

May 10, 2008 2:49 AM

Mar 2008
That's another reason for asking to close this unnecessary thread.
May 10, 2008 2:51 AM
Jun 2007
akuma2002 said:
That's another reason for asking to close this unnecessary thread.

Because someone disagrees with you? It's perfectly legal for me too download anime here in Canada apparently. So what I'm doing isn't illegal, if that's your point.

Otherwise, you may as well close almost all threads because they are based on people illegally downloading the episodes.

May 10, 2008 3:09 AM

Mar 2008
Hmm no, not that. We posted at the same time, but your post appears first.
I was speaking about Talamare's last post.

Like you said, yes, it's not obliged to watch an entire show to make an opinion. So true. But the companies need at least 6 months to prepare the dvds. So during that time, i watch the anime (entirely or not), and i buy the dvds when they are out. For collection, if i have completed watching the anime, or to finish watching it.

[unecessary information]Wow i have 500 posts now^^[/unecessary information]
May 10, 2008 3:20 AM

Apr 2008
Hell, Ill agree this thread needs closing
Ill doubt anyone here has a large amount of animes watched and they never downloaded any of it

and note streaming is still technically downloading even if its only temporary.

but no matter what I say, AnimusNathan already covered it all, and he still fights the good fight! *Salutes AnimusNathan* You Sir, are a Hero!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

98 by RobertBobert »»
30 minutes ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by Catalano »»
1 hour ago

» 'One Piece' Anime Gets Remake by WIT Studio ( 1 2 )

Hyperion_PS - Dec 17, 2023

81 by ExtremeT »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
11 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
Yesterday, 12:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.