Forum Settings
Forums

Importance of beauty in character design, A case study on Concord

New
Sep 3, 12:33 PM

Sep 2018
So I recently seen this video.

I agree the biggest problem with Concord was the ugly designs. Overwatch succeeded with its good character design. Removing all beauty to removes any mass appeal the game would have. How important do you think beauty is in character design? I think the uglification of things is the biggest problem with many modern games that flop.
Sep 3, 12:40 PM

Aug 2012
No Concord main failure is that it is a 40 dollar heroe shooter, bland gameplay, very generic design. In market in were all these are free.
Sep 3, 3:21 PM

Dec 2015
Aside of your basic and usual flame on lookism and thinking that everyone is around that.

People will always like the characters whom are interesting, if I remember correctly there's a cognitive bias in which people tend to add more positive traits toward people whom are good looking, so for obvious reasons the characters in games which are more successfull and interesting are the ones which have NPCS models of nice looking. Obviously games attracts if you have the ability to create your own character whether you like, which is why Black Desert Online before it came out offered an "open beta" to customize character which attracted huge amount of people cause of details, while others tend to create as ugly character as they can just for fun.

I'd say the important thing is the possibility to create the ugliest and prettiest character, but that's only for character creations, for NPCs I'd say it needs to be moderate, Witcher 3 wouldn't be as liked if Geralt or Yennefer wouldn't look nice, Tomb Raider series too, meanwhile no one care about Metro 2033 because the setting is more important than what characters actually look like, similarly with PoE or Last Epoch due to gameplay style. So it varies based on setting, gameplay or other factors. Even the 1 or 3 person camera can matter in that case, I don't think characterisation options/character matters that much in Cyberpunker 2077, Cod series, Kingdom Come Deliverance or Doom due for them being first person games.
Nonetheless many games which will offer more "spice" and some sexualisation will sell more easily, but they will lose their popularity as quickly cause of cheap tricks.
Sep 3, 3:38 PM

Oct 2013
There is no reason to not have your game full of beautiful characters since it's easier to make and easier to sale.

You could put some non conventionally good looking characters for variation, but never put them as the mascot/icon of that game. This is coming from an ugly person and a game developer.
Sep 3, 3:53 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Zettaiken
Aside of your basic and usual flame on lookism and thinking that everyone is around that.

People will always like the characters whom are interesting, if I remember correctly there's a cognitive bias in which people tend to add more positive traits toward people whom are good looking, so for obvious reasons the characters in games which are more successfull and interesting are the ones which have NPCS models of nice looking. Obviously games attracts if you have the ability to create your own character whether you like, which is why Black Desert Online before it came out offered an "open beta" to customize character which attracted huge amount of people cause of details, while others tend to create as ugly character as they can just for fun.

I'd say the important thing is the possibility to create the ugliest and prettiest character, but that's only for character creations, for NPCs I'd say it needs to be moderate, Witcher 3 wouldn't be as liked if Geralt or Yennefer wouldn't look nice, Tomb Raider series too, meanwhile no one care about Metro 2033 because the setting is more important than what characters actually look like, similarly with PoE or Last Epoch due to gameplay style. So it varies based on setting, gameplay or other factors. Even the 1 or 3 person camera can matter in that case, I don't think characterisation options/character matters that much in Cyberpunker 2077, Cod series, Kingdom Come Deliverance or Doom due for them being first person games.
Nonetheless many games which will offer more "spice" and some sexualisation will sell more easily, but they will lose their popularity as quickly cause of cheap tricks.
Zettaiken said:
Cyberpunker 2077

You say that, but they actually put quite a lot of effort into the character creation screen, despite the game being first person.
With the 2.0 update now you can even make custom outfits, so that you can wear whatever for the stats, and then still have you look as you want.

Zettaiken said:

It doesn't need to be lewd, just not ugly.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Sep 3, 5:00 PM

Jan 2009
it should be free to play and not expensive
Sep 3, 7:28 PM

Feb 2016
This theory fails to explain Bethesda's success.
その目だれの目?
Sep 3, 7:59 PM
May 2020
Design aside, anyone who played Concord BETA could have predicted it's financial flop upon release with its horrible gameplay and no competitive advantage
Sep 4, 12:50 AM

Jun 2016
Reply to Lucifrost
@Lucifrost I think the difference in genre plays a part in that case. Bethesda makes sandboxes pretending to be RPGs, not hero shooters.
Also more importantly, even the most repulsive Argonian or Altmer (watch me as the jannies ban me for racism) is more appealing to look at than the guys at Concord.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 4, 2:20 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Lucifrost
@Lucifrost Bethesda's last really successful game was released in 2011, and the people who cared about character looks modded the hell out of it anyway.
I'm still using a screenshot from Skyrim as my profile picture.
Sep 4, 2:22 AM

Dec 2015
Reply to JaniSIr
Zettaiken said:
Cyberpunker 2077

You say that, but they actually put quite a lot of effort into the character creation screen, despite the game being first person.
With the 2.0 update now you can even make custom outfits, so that you can wear whatever for the stats, and then still have you look as you want.

Zettaiken said:

It doesn't need to be lewd, just not ugly.
@JaniSIr

I know and I appreciate that, if it would be more limited I don't think that many people would have a problem with that in CP77

Here I was referring to games who uses cheap trick of using lewd to sell such as Stellar Blade, Asian MMOs, Gacha games, many of them just live for a short span because of main focus in soft sexualisation which obviously works but it doesn't work in most of the times for a long term time. Which is why up to this day Dark Souls 3 which came out in 2016 has right now bigger active play base than Nier Automata which came out in 2017 [fun fact it came out for my 18th bday], don't take me wrong I like both of these games but Nier at the start attracted because of the "plot" and many people didn't stay long enough to experience the real plot, while Dark Souls 3 had other reasons to attract players.
[I couldn't think of any other games to compare right now so it might be not that accurate to compare these 2]

Some "ugly" games actually win too, battlebit mastered which is literally bit style of game which I ain't liking, it was a well done game, Crab Game which is just a badly looking game but it hits the atmosphere of possibility to play in group of friends and have just fun. There might be more examples of such movements but these 2 games are the only stuff I can think of right now.
Sep 4, 8:50 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Theo1899
@Lucifrost I think the difference in genre plays a part in that case. Bethesda makes sandboxes pretending to be RPGs, not hero shooters.
Also more importantly, even the most repulsive Argonian or Altmer (watch me as the jannies ban me for racism) is more appealing to look at than the guys at Concord.
Theo1899 said:
Bethesda makes sandboxes pretending to be RPGs

You know any good western RPGs that aren't sandboxes? I may have an easier time finding a game I like if I set my expectations accordingly.
その目だれの目?
Sep 4, 11:07 AM

Oct 2022
Hero/champion/etc games are based on their characters, they are the center piece and also the main source of income (skins, emotes, etc).

The $40 price tag didnt help but t wouldnt be the first time a paid game goes free to play (it already had an store iirc), so anyone trying to dismiss the fact that it is an ugly game with awful design to "break stereotypes" is just coping.

When characters are just uninteresting and ugly, the gameplay is bland you are left with nothing. The best "counter" example are gatchas: they thrive or die by character designs, have ugly characters and even if your story is top notch (they usually nailed it here, to anyone that is not aware) people wont give you a chance. Every character center game has to have interesting characters, so making them cool/beutirful/hot/whatever concord did not do, is the first step. Otherwise just make people create their own stuff
Sep 4, 1:40 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Zettaiken
@JaniSIr

I know and I appreciate that, if it would be more limited I don't think that many people would have a problem with that in CP77

Here I was referring to games who uses cheap trick of using lewd to sell such as Stellar Blade, Asian MMOs, Gacha games, many of them just live for a short span because of main focus in soft sexualisation which obviously works but it doesn't work in most of the times for a long term time. Which is why up to this day Dark Souls 3 which came out in 2016 has right now bigger active play base than Nier Automata which came out in 2017 [fun fact it came out for my 18th bday], don't take me wrong I like both of these games but Nier at the start attracted because of the "plot" and many people didn't stay long enough to experience the real plot, while Dark Souls 3 had other reasons to attract players.
[I couldn't think of any other games to compare right now so it might be not that accurate to compare these 2]

Some "ugly" games actually win too, battlebit mastered which is literally bit style of game which I ain't liking, it was a well done game, Crab Game which is just a badly looking game but it hits the atmosphere of possibility to play in group of friends and have just fun. There might be more examples of such movements but these 2 games are the only stuff I can think of right now.
@Zettaiken Wasn't Stellar Blade a success, just because it was finally a half decent game where the characters aren't ugly? It's a pretty low bar to hit, and there is still a massive disparity between supply and demand.
MMOs probably have quite an over saturated market, and gacha should not even be a genre...
I have no idea why Souls games are popular, they are kind of horrible to play, and quite frankly I totally understand why people didn't finish Nier, it is also a highly flawed game.
But Nier and Stellar Blade don't even need to have a log lasting player base to be considered a success, if they sell a lot, and people generally like it, monetarily speaking the studio doesn't care they only played it once. Unless they make a DLC, but like Nier's DLC is so bad, even if nobody buys it, it cost them almost no time to make...
Sep 6, 9:42 PM

May 2021
Reply to Lucifrost
Theo1899 said:
Bethesda makes sandboxes pretending to be RPGs

You know any good western RPGs that aren't sandboxes? I may have an easier time finding a game I like if I set my expectations accordingly.
@Lucifrost
The ones I’m personally familiar with that I can name (sorry for butting in lol):

Alpha Protocol
Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (a lot of freedom when it comes to interacting with the game, but it's not a sandbox)
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (I don’t think 1 necessarily qualifies as “good”, but that’s just my opinion and another topic)
Dragon Age series (Inquisition has big locations, but it’s not a sandbox)
Fallout 1 & 2
Icewind Dale 1 & 2
Jade Empire
Mass Effect trilogy
Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2
Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2
Planescape: Torment
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2
The Outer Worlds
The Temple of Elemental Evil
The Witcher series (The Witcher 3 has big locations, but it’s not a sandbox)
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tyranny
Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines
Vampire: The Masquerade – Redemption

There are more, of course, but I rarely play something new + I tried to avoid anything outright hybrid-ish. Different ones have different flaws, but as far as good RPGs go, I think all of them definitely qualify to a different extent. Also, it’d be nice to know what your expectations exactly are :)

I also think pure text RPGs like Heroes of Myth, Werewolves: Haven Rising, Choice of Rebels: Uprising and some others are also really nice, but it’s obviously a personal preference.

If anything, I’d struggle to name any sandbox Western RPGs, aside from Bethesda games lol but it’s probably because I’m not the biggest fan of sandbox RPGs, so I usually tend to avoid them (and I’m not a fan of huge open-world games with big locations in general, but there are exceptions). Well, maybe Gothic is another example (still not a sandbox game in the same way as Elder Scrolls series and is a lot more directed, so could probably be added to the list above).
Sep 6, 10:11 PM

Feb 2016
@-YaoiBoy-
I'm going to be disappointed if I pick up a game expecting an RPG, only for it not to be an RPG. This is apparently what Bethesda does, and I don't want to make my search harder than it needs to be since I'm already biased against western games.

I actually did try the old Bioware games. I did not understand them.

I am not currently in the mood to take risks. If I ever decide to try another one of the games you recommended, it will be The Witcher.
その目だれの目?
Sep 6, 10:21 PM

Jan 2012
I mean, my favorite video game series of all time is Wario Land - a game starring a big fat ugly scoundrel with stubby legs and a huge nose. (He just like me fr)

So I don't necessarily think video game characters need to be conventionally beautiful. It's certainly fine when they are, and I definitely have a number of traditionally hot ladies in gaming that I'm quite fond of - but I also feel like there's been a weird push lately where people act like every character has to be the peak of conventional attractiveness or else the game is "political," which is just silly.
Yesterday, 6:13 AM

May 2021
Reply to Lucifrost
@-YaoiBoy-
I'm going to be disappointed if I pick up a game expecting an RPG, only for it not to be an RPG. This is apparently what Bethesda does, and I don't want to make my search harder than it needs to be since I'm already biased against western games.

I actually did try the old Bioware games. I did not understand them.

I am not currently in the mood to take risks. If I ever decide to try another one of the games you recommended, it will be The Witcher.
@Lucifrost
Bethesda games seem to aim at a different kind of roleplaying, where someone creates a character and fully writes a story for that character themselves, roleplaying whatever they created in their head and with little interference from the game. Like my friend would say: "I use a mod to disable quick travel in Oblivion because I don't play those games - I live them", which isn't something I do. Full freedom is all fun and good, but I usually need efficiency and quest-driven exploration for higher levels of engagement. Therefore, big locations and significant lack of guided exploration can be a bit of a pain for me.
For someone who likes to explore and read everything methodically, like me, sandbox games can be quite a nightmare. "Choose a random direction and go" is not the way I play games, nor do I excessively roleplay a particular character, to a point where I'd only do some content and not all of it simply because "my character wouldn't go to that location" or something. Refusing to do a clearly evil quest if you play a nice character is one thing, but chaotically skipping entire zones or subplots is entirely different. I do EVERYTHING I can do on my first playthrough and live with the story consequences, never trying to leave anything "for the later", except for when I just want to fully replay it again in a different way and with different outcomes.

What older BioWare games have you tried? :) And what created a problem of understanding?

I would strongly recommend reading The Witcher books before playing the games, for better context, but I understand that it might be a bit too much preparation for some games that you might not even enjoy + I've heard people complaining about the English translation of the books, so maybe it's not particularly good? It was easy for me because I'd already read them before playing the games.

Taking risks can definitely require a specific mood :p it's the same for me when it comes to JRPGs. I still haven't advanced beyond Chrono Trigger and The World Ends With You, and it's been like 5 years or something. I have to repeat in my head "this is going to be a more or less linear story, your actions most likely won't affect anything" like a mantra lol to adjust my expectations accordingly as well. That's the hardest thing for me to overcome because linearity and lack of agency is the antithesis of what an RPG is in my mind. I grew up with Western RPGs from 2000s and late 90s, where they really started to diverge from JRPGs when it comes to their common ancestry, so it's no surprise that I have an entirely different "RPG culture" and expectations.
When someone mentions "Western RPGs", I don't think of Ultima or Wizardry that may have more in common with JRPGs - I haven't even played them, but I think of Neverwinter Nights with its wonderful and rich toolset, high-quality fan content and persistent RP servers that people enjoy even to this day, or Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines with its rich roleplaying options when it comes to different vampire clans, or Arcanum where you can murder every single NPC in the game and still complete the main story. So yeah, my mindset may even be different from that of a person who played 80s Western RPGs, for example, because they were still a common ancestry for both Western and Eastern RPGs. The Western RPGs I was introduced to were already a product of them going into different directions and not having much in common.
In any case, my 3rd JRPG game may be Xenogears because it regularly pops up in my mind, but who knows when that will happen. I barely play anything I want to play these days, let alone experiment.
Yesterday, 8:33 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to -YaoiBoy-
@Lucifrost
Bethesda games seem to aim at a different kind of roleplaying, where someone creates a character and fully writes a story for that character themselves, roleplaying whatever they created in their head and with little interference from the game. Like my friend would say: "I use a mod to disable quick travel in Oblivion because I don't play those games - I live them", which isn't something I do. Full freedom is all fun and good, but I usually need efficiency and quest-driven exploration for higher levels of engagement. Therefore, big locations and significant lack of guided exploration can be a bit of a pain for me.
For someone who likes to explore and read everything methodically, like me, sandbox games can be quite a nightmare. "Choose a random direction and go" is not the way I play games, nor do I excessively roleplay a particular character, to a point where I'd only do some content and not all of it simply because "my character wouldn't go to that location" or something. Refusing to do a clearly evil quest if you play a nice character is one thing, but chaotically skipping entire zones or subplots is entirely different. I do EVERYTHING I can do on my first playthrough and live with the story consequences, never trying to leave anything "for the later", except for when I just want to fully replay it again in a different way and with different outcomes.

What older BioWare games have you tried? :) And what created a problem of understanding?

I would strongly recommend reading The Witcher books before playing the games, for better context, but I understand that it might be a bit too much preparation for some games that you might not even enjoy + I've heard people complaining about the English translation of the books, so maybe it's not particularly good? It was easy for me because I'd already read them before playing the games.

Taking risks can definitely require a specific mood :p it's the same for me when it comes to JRPGs. I still haven't advanced beyond Chrono Trigger and The World Ends With You, and it's been like 5 years or something. I have to repeat in my head "this is going to be a more or less linear story, your actions most likely won't affect anything" like a mantra lol to adjust my expectations accordingly as well. That's the hardest thing for me to overcome because linearity and lack of agency is the antithesis of what an RPG is in my mind. I grew up with Western RPGs from 2000s and late 90s, where they really started to diverge from JRPGs when it comes to their common ancestry, so it's no surprise that I have an entirely different "RPG culture" and expectations.
When someone mentions "Western RPGs", I don't think of Ultima or Wizardry that may have more in common with JRPGs - I haven't even played them, but I think of Neverwinter Nights with its wonderful and rich toolset, high-quality fan content and persistent RP servers that people enjoy even to this day, or Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines with its rich roleplaying options when it comes to different vampire clans, or Arcanum where you can murder every single NPC in the game and still complete the main story. So yeah, my mindset may even be different from that of a person who played 80s Western RPGs, for example, because they were still a common ancestry for both Western and Eastern RPGs. The Western RPGs I was introduced to were already a product of them going into different directions and not having much in common.
In any case, my 3rd JRPG game may be Xenogears because it regularly pops up in my mind, but who knows when that will happen. I barely play anything I want to play these days, let alone experiment.
-YaoiBoy- said:

I think I tried both Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights. I didn't understand how to play them.
I also tried Planetscape Torment. I didn't understand what it was I was supposed to like about it.
Dragon Age is too hard. I couldn't clear the demo.

-YaoiBoy- said:

That may not be a bad idea. I thought nobody liked the books, but my local library has them and I do like reading.

-YaoiBoy- said:
Taking risks can definitely require a specific mood :p it's the same for me when it comes to JRPGs. I still haven't advanced beyond Chrono Trigger and The World Ends With You, and it's been like 5 years or something.

It's always a risk trying a new genre. Especially when Etrian Odyssey has a reputation for being hardcore like Dark Souls, or when Final Fantasy reinvents itself with each installment. It is the pretty designs seen in many Japanese games that motivated me to take those risks 😉. Western games are too drab for my liking.

-YaoiBoy- said:
That's the hardest thing for me to overcome because linearity and lack of agency is the antithesis of what an RPG is in my mind.

Agency is important to me too, but most of my favorite JRPGs are big on agency. Pokemon offers 150 monsters to choose from when building a team of 6.

-YaoiBoy- said:
When someone mentions "Western RPGs", I don't think of Ultima or Wizardry that may have more in common with JRPGs - I haven't even played them

I haven't played those games either, which led me to think of newer Japanese dungeon crawlers as Etrian Odyssey clones. Etrian Odyssey felt fresh and original when I discovered it as a teenager, completely ignorant of Wizardry...
LucifrostYesterday, 8:39 AM
その目だれの目?
3 hours ago

May 2021
Lucifrost said:
I think I tried both Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights. I didn't understand how to play them.
I also tried Planetscape Torment. I didn't understand what it was I was supposed to like about it.
Dragon Age is too hard. I couldn't clear the demo.

Oh, you mean the whole D&D baggage they come with? I guess it can be a bit too much.
I liked Planescape: Torment mostly for its writing, and how it all came together.
Dragon Age is hard?! That's the first time I heard something like that lol I never thought of Origins, 2 or Inquisition as being difficult. On normal, at the very least.

Lucifrost said:
That may not be a bad idea. I thought nobody liked the books, but my local library has them and I do like reading.

Oh, you thought nobody liked The Witcher books? That's interesting. Probably depends on the particular book, since some had more complaints than others. I did enjoy them quite a bit and re-read them a couple of times. I thought the games were a great continuation and managed to perfectly capture the vibe, but I was very disappointed by The Witcher 3 base game for certain reasons, so I'm not a big fan of it like many people are.

Lucifrost said:
It's always a risk trying a new genre. Especially when Etrian Odyssey has a reputation for being hardcore like Dark Souls, or when Final Fantasy reinvents itself with each installment. It is the pretty designs seen in many Japanese games that motivated me to take those risks 😉. Western games are too drab for my liking.

Well, that 2nd design of a guy definitely got me interested lol
As far as style goes, I do prefer things on a bleaker side (designs of Disciples 2 or 3, for example), but from aesthetic perspective Japanese (or Asian in general) games definitely win more often than not because Western games can't help but uglify things too much sometimes (aforementioned Concord is quite a good demonstration).
If I ever decide to play Final Fantasy games, I'd want to start from the very first game and see how they changed over time. It's going to be very exciting, assuming I'll enjoy them, of course.

Lucifrost said:
Agency is important to me too, but most of my favorite JRPGs are big on agency. Pokemon offers 150 monsters to choose from when building a team of 6.

That's quite nice when it comes to gameplay, of course, but I'd be a lot more curious if it had, say, 30 available pokemons and the story would change and shift depending on which ones you use...but I guess maybe it's not that important or/and practical in a Pokemon game. Your pokemons would not only affect the gameplay variability, but also how other characters may react to you, which could have ramifications along the way etc. That said, it's more like an overall example of a narrative-related agency, since I'm not sure a Pokemon game really needs to go that far (not that I know much about those games or how they work anyway).
I haven't played Persona 5, but as I understand it's possible to hang out with other characters to learn more about them, but those are self-contained events that don't affect the story! Why? Whyyyyy all this linearity :( it'd be so much more exciting to have certain characters live or die depending on the strength of your bond with them or other factors. Knowing that it doesn't affect anything is already so demotivating, but I guess I'd rather know so that I could adjust my expectations if I ever decide to play the series.

Lucifrost said:
I haven't played those games either, which led me to think of newer Japanese dungeon crawlers as Etrian Odyssey clones. Etrian Odyssey felt fresh and original when I discovered it as a teenager, completely ignorant of Wizardry...

I see :p I have a lot of positive impressions when it comes to Nintendo DS games, so I wouldn't be surprised if Etrian Odyssey also had some unique spin of its own, especially when it comes to the whole dual screen stuff, and games after that made you feel like they're simply (inferior) clones.

More topics from this board

» Exclusives are good

Ezekiel - 45 minutes ago

0 by Ezekiel »»
45 minutes ago

» Sad state of gaming series. Any series you like that fell into a abyss?

rohan121 - Aug 27

23 by ArabianLuffy »»
3 hours ago

» Dragon Quest III Remake Female Warrior Censored

tchitchouan - Sep 4

21 by Amityblight »»
Yesterday, 6:11 AM

» What is your favorite Final Fantasy game series (Main Series and Tactics only)

Kirika_Madeleine - Aug 23

13 by HattoriSoul »»
Yesterday, 6:07 AM

» How has your taste in videogames changed over the years?

karioka- - Jul 6

28 by Lucifrost »»
Sep 6, 9:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.