Forum Settings
Forums

How do you define your low rating a show?(Criticism or personal enjoyment)

New
8 hours ago

Nov 2021
When you rate an anime (or manga) low, is it because of your criticism with it or it's just based on personal enjoyment? Like sometimes there's something about a show that I don't like (its story progression, pacing issues, bad characters, some theme or topic I didn't like) that made me drop its score, and sometimes it's none of them, I gave low score because I didn't enjoy it, simple as that. The show could be good with well written plot and its execution, but I still didn't enjoyed it. It happens with me pretty often, mostly when I read the manga.
8 hours ago

Feb 2020
It's mostly based on my personal enjoyment.
7 hours ago

May 2024
It's a bit of both enjoyment and execution for me. I'm beginning to not enjoy most things I watch or read anymore (all media included), so if I didn't implement some objective reasoning into my ratings other than just pure enjoyment factor, then most anime I'd watch would end up with a rating of a 3, or 4 at best.
7 hours ago

Apr 2024
Mostly personal enjoyment, for example i only put steins Gate a 7 but if i rate based on criticism it's at least a 9 but i wasn't attached to the characters in this animes(who is the most important criteria for me to love an anime or every piece of media)
7 hours ago

Nov 2018
A mixture of enjoyment of watching (important for points 5-7) and how well it stays with me as a kind of nostalgia (important for >=8; gets 7 if I also still remember things that were plain bad) . Although material that can be positively criticised a lot correlates strongly with building nostalgia/remaining in memory. If I'm still thinking ‘WTF’ after a short while instead of forgetting, it gets less than a 5.
If the show is well written and executed just depends on my opinion (and therefore liking of the show) since I am only giving my own score ... I don't care that it is also written for other people, thats why we have an avg community score.
"I don't know everything, I only know what the internet knows." - Definitely not best girl.
"To ask is a moment's shame. Not to, lifelong." - I quoted with a posed look.
7 hours ago

Jul 2022
Depends, but some anime like Aldnoah Zero really deserve the low rating. SPT Layzner from 1985 has a better story than Aldnoah Zero despite facing financial issues. Same for Valvrave any Sunrise mecha from the 1980s is so much better compare to than train wreck.
SPTLayzner7 hours ago
7 hours ago
⎠⎞ >⏝⏝<⎠⎞

Apr 2015
Criticism. Basically how likely I am to recommend the show to someone else.
My anilist goes by enjoyment only & is mostly 7-9s which makes it a bit hard to find things when each score has several hundred titles in it.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
7 hours ago

Jun 2024
My Ratings Based on Enjoyment, even the stories, depends on me I more on open minded.
7 hours ago
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
A rational voter will always rate entertainment media based on their subjective experience. This approach is the only rational one when you think about it.
1) Nobody has the authority to judge a show objectively.
2) Entertainment is created to be a subjective and personal experience, so it makes no sense to rate it objectively.
3) Even though there are some aspects of entertainment media that can be judged objectively (such as plot holes, inconsistent animation, etc.), this objective critique is only a small factor that determines your overall experience. The subjective experience is determined by both objective and subjective critique, with the latter being more prevalent.

All those reviewers who ignore their personal feelings and try to be ""objective"" need to take their heads out of their ass.
7 hours ago

Sep 2016
Usually if the show boring or annoying.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
6 hours ago

Oct 2023
According to BestListMAL if anime is rated lower it means there isn't as much content and if you watch the first episode of Pokemon 10,000 times and Howl's Moving Castle once then Pokemon would be a 10 out of 10 and Howl's Moving Castle would be a 1 out of 10.

This apparently is the only correct answer...apparently.

In reality, who cares how you rate something.
5 hours ago

Sep 2018
Enjoyment means giving different weights to different aspects each time. If I didn't enjoy something that is supposed to be well written, it's not like I'm not rating critically at all: I'm just giving more weight to the aspects I didn't like over the things it supposedly did well.
4 hours ago
Realist & Loner

Jan 2024
I rate absolutely per enjoyment.

For me it is important that the Anime has a decent description and the correct Genres added so you can find something fitting your current mood.

Then Episode 1 has to fulfill at least one out of those points in order for me to continue:
  • Having a Character to really like or identify with.
  • Having a decent start of a Story which makes you wanna know more.
  • Having a good plot twist which makes you wonder.
  • Having a few good laughs.
  • Having a decent overall environment and graphics which does compensate for the rest.
  • Having a decent Harem with diversity, yeah I know :).
If one requirement is met, the chance of me finishing it is currently at 97.2%.
If none is met I will simply without rating/dropping discontinue it and move on.

I am personally not a big friend of criticism because way to many People tend to use it more towards hating on something instead of providing real critique and helpful Feedback.

---------------------------------------------------

Additional explanation to that criticism statement:

Best examples are Nonsense Comedies.
It is in most cases a special kind of humor, absurd, surreal, ridiculous, basic slapstick aso. something to not take to serious, to take easy, simply nonsense.
And then you have People negatively rating it for exactly that, because they have to state that their intellect is to high for it, the story is to bad, the humor is to flat and so on.
Often you see them use the term brainrot for it and their review is exactly that due them not understanding the concept of it in the first place, due them not being able to let it be if they can't enjoy it, due them thinking they are something special and them trying to make people who enjoy it questioning themselves.

Same with the Marin Kitagawa back and forth, but I already typed enough, don't want to post a wall of text ^^

I am not that long within the Anime community, but that hating on something is so common that I stopped looking at Reviews within a few weeks.
I just do not get the point of bashing on something which others might enjoy because it simply was not made for you, but that's just me and my 2 cents.
3 hours ago

Jun 2020
Personal enjoyment 99% of the time. But if I don't enjoy a show, I tend to look a lot more critically and notice its bad qualities which don't help the score either
3 hours ago

May 2018
Enjoyment and objective factors are both equally important to me.
In order to not overrate anime I love or underrate anime I hate, I defined that I enjoyed each single show I watched. With that, I am not afraid to give lower scores to things I actually enjoyed, or to rate something higher in spite of disliking it.
In reality, my 4/10 and 5/10 often means more enjoyment and appreciation than most of MAL users had with their 8/10s.

2 hours ago
Sep 2013
Personal enjoyment though the two aren't mutually exclusive. Often they're linked to some degree.

2 hours ago

Mar 2021
It's both for me, and that works just fine.

More topics from this board

» Live action or animation

ani2016 - 2 hours ago

9 by ani2016 »»
1 minute ago

» What the last time you cried for an anime? ( 1 2 )

Zakatsuki_ - Aug 16

70 by barbieout4blud »»
2 minutes ago

» What's the difference between a tourist and a casual ?

internetguy214 - 3 hours ago

7 by Lone_WolfXV »»
7 minutes ago

» Battle shounen being misunderstood on this website ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenzolo-folk - Aug 12

304 by DigiCat »»
13 minutes ago

» What is going on with anime fixation on breasts? ( 1 2 3 )

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

103 by SuperAdventure »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.