Forum Settings
Forums
New
10 hours ago
Jan 2023
I believe there are good Psychological anime like Paranoia Agent, Death Note, Tokyo Ghoul, Neon Genesis EVA, and ReZero. I want to know what are people favorite Psychological anime and do they like the current type of "Psychological " anime or the retro ones?
9 hours ago

Jun 2024
Psychological anime are fine but I am not into more Dark, I mean there are Psychological anime aren't Dark but I don't like that involve religious theme like Death Note or EVA give something like Kino or Boogiepop those more of human nature.
Kirika_Madeleine9 hours ago
9 hours ago

Jul 2023
I don't watch a lot of psychological anime, but my personal favorite anime in the genre is Hell Girl.
I am using the best palette swap.
9 hours ago

Aug 2019
2 psychological anime that still pops out of my mind are:
Tamala 2010: A Punk Cat in Space and Cat Soup are avant grade films that feels to be pretentious and its up to the viewer for their imagination get the idea (make up of something) of director's message.
At the end of the day, you're end up leaving an impression "what did I just watch this weird film".
It is my favorite to recommend someone to watch a "real" psychological anime
I make OC maymay
9 hours ago

Feb 2020
Few good shows, for example Gakkougurashi! and Death Note.
8 hours ago

May 2018
I guess I'm inclined to say I like them, but there's a very fine line between excellence and cheesiness
can't yuck my yum

7 hours ago
Jul 2024
Pychological anime seems to be a broad socialterm encompassing many different aspects.

Personally, I believe psychological anime are animes that heavily promote critical thinking (often of "serious" values to the extreme) or follow a character, or characters, going through pychological stress.

My examples of ideas of pychological animes:

• Kino's Journey - The main character travels through small towns named countries with vastly different cultures. These countries often have societal ideas showcased and explored, creating a though-provoking experience.

Re: Zero - The supposed journey of an average japanese man transversing into another world where if he dies, he comes back to life. I think you get the point.

Some people believe pychological animes are horror animes, gory animes, or abuse animes, or something so-so.
6 hours ago

Jan 2018
kaiji ultimate survivor or kakegurui comes to mind. for me there are many mind games that can be inserted durinng gambling moments. besides that, even the despair transitioned into violence as gamblers lose it all is not far from reality.
6 hours ago

May 2023
Of the shows in my list that are tagged as Psychological themed, there are many in which I either missed the psychological part or there was not that much emphasis on that aspect in the anime.. dun mean I didn't enjoy them, I did, but not for the psychological theme as the focus..

One of the oldest titles of psych theme in my list is Warau Salesman (1989).. it's plot resembled a well known story in my region... really liked the short stories in the series..
One anime movie which I think should have been tagged under this theme but was not is The Sky Crawlers (2008)..
Other titles I enjoyed from the past two decades are RahXephon, Sentou Yousei Yukikaze, Steins;Gate, Fruit of Grisaia series, AI no Idenshi and Pluto..

6 hours ago

Nov 2020
Well Death Note is Psychological and it’s my fav and I find myself liking a lot of psychological shows so yeah its Great
6 hours ago

May 2018
"What do you think of Psychological Anime?"

Those are really hard to nail, still multiple authors try to write such and the results are often outright stupid.
My Home Hero is the perfect example of serious themes and outrageously dumb interpterion of those. Another case of aggressively bad psychological title is 86.

So once in a blue mood we are getting decent stuff like Id:Invaded or Oooku, but most of the time it's cheaply written trash.
alshu6 hours ago
6 hours ago

May 2024
As any other medium, most psychological shows are just not very well presented. Most ideas for psychological shows are great which is why the genre attracts quite a big audience, but the execution is usually poor and unsatisfactory.
5 hours ago

Mar 2023
My favorite genre. We need more it..
3 hours ago

Sep 2018
I love anime with a lot of introspection, but... MAL uses the psychological tag only if there are mental breakdowns or battle of wits (even if super shallow like Kakegurui).

Even if I usually embrace modernity this is one of the few genres that had way more good anime in the past, the only good psychological anime of the 2020s is Pluto so far.
3 hours ago

Jan 2020
Psychological anime tend to be some of the best I have ever seen - and there are too many to list them, but you generally all know which ones I'm talking about.
I hope for more of them in the future!
2 hours ago

Jan 2021
Paranoia Agent, Monster, Madoka Magica and Ergo Proxy are among my favourites. Wolfs Rain, Berserker, Fate/Zero and Psycho Pass also have psychological elements but they are more focused on other things.
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
26 minutes ago

Sep 2016
Psychological is one of the most entertaining themes overall.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
13 minutes ago

Jan 2008
I do enjoy some Psychological anime. It tends to fall under the radar despite having some really good examples. Needs more love
Some of my faves: Banana Fish, Monster, Shiki, Shigurui, Inayushiki, Stein's Gate

I definitely need to watch more though.

More topics from this board

» How Do You Choose Which Anime To Start Watching

Ahmad_Sahil_ - 6 hours ago

12 by AnimePedestrian »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime would've been better without one of its characters?

SimplyBrazen - 2 hours ago

19 by NeextMa »»
3 minutes ago

» What with most anime boys being jacked lately?

RedTea33 - 11 hours ago

15 by Zarutaku »»
9 minutes ago

» Why is there a stigma against 3D mechas in anime ?

tchitchouan - 4 hours ago

22 by Zarutaku »»
12 minutes ago

» Why I Love All Those Great New Isekai Animes

Hiimoohiii - 5 hours ago

13 by Zarutaku »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.