Forum Settings
Forums

Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door censors catcalling!?

New
Apr 28, 4:26 PM

Sep 2018
Not too long ago Nintendo was looking for dei hires. Now it seems we get to see their consultants in action.
Ttyd remaster censors catcalling as one example of what is coming to the industry. What do you think?

Crazy how far censorship has come. Pretty sure the og ttyd was rated E so this is beyond silly. It seems the 30fps controversy means little compared to this imo.
Apr 28, 5:48 PM

Oct 2022
After all the drama that have happened with 40k and Stellar Blade Im in a total war against woke/political correctness. They ruin everything, they just want to change everything just for the sake of changing things so they can go on social media and scream "hey... im helping! I saved the world!".

We should have gatekeeped harder, like just bully anyone. Now we have to deal with people praising homosexual animal sex (Baldurs Gate 3) but demanding change to hot women ourtfit (Stellar Blade) or really silly jokes like this case right here. Nobody can have fun if it is not on their terms
Apr 28, 7:15 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Can you still squeeze Flurrie's tits to make her blow air? 0/10 literally unplayable if not.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Apr 28, 7:25 PM

Jul 2021
Nice anti-SJW outrage bait thread m8, cant wait to see grown ass men bitching about those scawy woke localizers burning down their villages and killing their kids.
Apr 28, 7:33 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to KenaiPhoenix
After all the drama that have happened with 40k and Stellar Blade Im in a total war against woke/political correctness. They ruin everything, they just want to change everything just for the sake of changing things so they can go on social media and scream "hey... im helping! I saved the world!".

We should have gatekeeped harder, like just bully anyone. Now we have to deal with people praising homosexual animal sex (Baldurs Gate 3) but demanding change to hot women ourtfit (Stellar Blade) or really silly jokes like this case right here. Nobody can have fun if it is not on their terms
@KenaiPhoenix Homosexual Animal sex >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Your waifu.
Apr 28, 9:19 PM

May 2013
Reply to AzafuseKingTora
@KenaiPhoenix Homosexual Animal sex >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Your waifu.
@AzafuseKingTora

Why not both?

Can both factions of degenerates get along?

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Apr 29, 10:29 AM

Apr 2015
Reply to KenaiPhoenix

@KenaiPhoenix Agreed with everything here. The hypocrisy of censorship and the amount of people offended by these things is astronomical. A good example of these people that should gtfo is post #4 of this thread. Imagine being so mad about being called out you have to call other's "asshat" and "delusional". Take your own advice child.
TropischApr 29, 12:16 PM
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Apr 29, 11:31 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Tropisch
@KenaiPhoenix Agreed with everything here. The hypocrisy of censorship and the amount of people offended by these things is astronomical. A good example of these people that should gtfo is post #4 of this thread. Imagine being so mad about being called out you have to call other's "asshat" and "delusional". Take your own advice child.
@Tropisch The only thing I'm offended by is people stuck in 2015. Changing some minor-ass dialouge in Paper Mario won't mean the end of the world, and implying that being a toxic asshat will fix everything is beyond delusional.
AzafuseKingToraApr 29, 11:47 AM
Apr 29, 12:19 PM

Sep 2018
Update: recently confirmed the entire script was likely rewritten for a modern audience.
rohan121May 2, 12:16 PM
Apr 29, 1:57 PM

Sep 2018
Added news: dead Toad reference in the square was removed once again. So much for aiming for a Japanese accurate version..
Apr 29, 4:37 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Tropisch
@Tropisch You cant even respond directly. take an L
Apr 29, 5:07 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to rohan121
Update: recently confirmed the entire script was likely rewritten for a modern audience.
rohan121 said:
Also the Peach shower scenes will be edited.

Source? That was my favorite part.
その目だれの目?
Apr 29, 6:16 PM

Jul 2013
I don't even play video games these days. So I wouldn't even care about this tbh.
Apr 29, 6:20 PM

Aug 2008
It's a good change. Catcalling is an unwelcomed action for the majority of people that experience it. Given nintendo's target audience (adolescents and younger) being highly impressionable, I think it's a step in the right direction to not expose them to something so inconsiderate.
Kero Kero

Bonito
Apr 29, 11:44 PM

Oct 2013
*insert eye role here*. Ok, I can agree all the Stellar Blade stuff was complete nonsense. Censorship bad, so on and so forth. This however.....Why is this worth making a fuss about? If this was about them covering up mermaid Peach more in her new game, I'd be on board with calling it out. But this? Seriously? People are going to get up in arms about this? Catcalling a female goomba? If you want to bang a goomba, just say so, fuck. Why do you need this to enjoy the game?

Let me be perfectly clear, I'm not saying that they should or shouldn't have made this change. I'm saying complaining about this particular change is kinda sad imo.
May 2, 1:17 AM

Feb 2010
Reply to DreamWindow
Can you still squeeze Flurrie's tits to make her blow air? 0/10 literally unplayable if not.
@DreamWindow yes that's still in it also people liked flurrie?

also OP acting like the first release didn't censor lines out lmao.

@FanofAction stellar blade wasn't even censorship the creator themselves confirmed that the models we saw were literally unfished versions.

@Lucifrost

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

May 2, 1:33 AM

Oct 2013
@GrimAtrament I meant that to be comparing this to what I thought was more a more justified stance against the people who were complaining about Stellar Blade. I threw in that bit to make sure no one thinks me calling this out means I'm for censorship. I want to be very clear that I'm not, and I just think this particular thing isn't that big an issue.
FanofActionMay 2, 1:40 AM
May 2, 1:39 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to GrimAtrament

also OP acting like the first release didn't censor lines out lmao.

@FanofAction stellar blade wasn't even censorship the creator themselves confirmed that the models we saw were literally unfished versions.

@Lucifrost

GrimAtrament said:

Nice. It's such a small detail, but it's something I thought for sure that they would change. Especially considering they changed something so benign as Mario's "salute". And yeah, I like all party members in Paper Mario. Flurrie was not as useful as some of the others in battle though, iirc.

GrimAtrament said:
@DreamWindow i don't know why you even bothered asking when it's literally in the reveal trailer...

Just a simple question. I don't remember if I saw it or not.
DreamWindowMay 2, 2:06 AM

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
May 2, 1:48 AM

Feb 2010
Reply to FanofAction
@GrimAtrament I meant that to be comparing this to what I thought was more a more justified stance against the people who were complaining about Stellar Blade. I threw in that bit to make sure no one thinks me calling this out means I'm for censorship. I want to be very clear that I'm not, and I just think this particular thing isn't that big an issue.
@FanofAction i've not seen any evidence of "censorship" outside everyone meming currently theres a bunch of people riding off the fake outrage over steller blade and spamming memes on paper mario social media jokes. so far the only text change are ones that make it closer to the original translation.
I still own my gamecube copy. I am also aware that the original Paper mario paper door english translation wasn't exactly the most faithful in the first place.

for example the remake is calling the shadow sirens the three shadows which was there original japanese name.

also not sure what people mean by peachs shower scene being edited when you don't see anything in it in the first place. I do know that it was tedious to have to sit through a full minute every single time you played as peach. to wait for the scene to end

@DreamWindow i don't know why you even bothered asking when it's literally in the reveal trailer...

@rohan121 @Lucifrost
not sure what the ops source is but here is mine it's still in the game.

GrimAtramentMay 2, 2:21 AM
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

May 2, 2:26 AM

Oct 2013
@GrimAtrament I'll just say one more thing. All I was trying to do was answer what I thought about the catcalling thing. Whether this all is true or not, I should have just stuck to that or put more thought into what I was typing. I honestly have no idea what is and isn't actually being changed in Paper Mario, because I don't want spoilers since I never played the original.
May 2, 7:22 AM

Sep 2018
I notice a lot more creators picking up the story. I recently seen a gamexplain video to obviously find out a lot of dialogue was completely rewritten including the one with the bomb omb under the inn floor where you meet toadsworth. This localization reminds me of what the treehouse does with fire emblem dialogue.

I went from hyped to the remake at 1st
Mixed after 30fps announcement as action timings are a big part of the fun of the og
Negative after hearing the sweet baby touch of death.
May 2, 7:29 AM

Nov 2011
Unless you played the original Japanese version and actually know Japanese, you can’t really tell if there were changes from the original or not.
It’s very possible that the English localization in the game cube was the one that actually made changes and the switch version is closer to the original Japanese version.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
May 2, 7:35 AM

Sep 2018
Reply to DreamingBeats
Unless you played the original Japanese version and actually know Japanese, you can’t really tell if there were changes from the original or not.
It’s very possible that the English localization in the game cube was the one that actually made changes and the switch version is closer to the original Japanese version.
@DreamingBeats
That theory was considered until the dialogue censoring the catcalling did not reflect the og japanese translation at all. Instead of being japanese faithful the new localization is writing a completely new script not from the og english or japanese release.
May 2, 8:05 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to DreamingBeats
@DreamingBeats
Very true, but it seems a waste of resources to retranslate something everyone was already happy with. I'd rather Nintendo put that effort into localizing Captain Rainbow or いろづきチングルの恋のバルーントリップ.
その目だれの目?
May 2, 12:07 PM

Feb 2010
@rohan121 so where's your source on the edit princess peach shower when i literally just showed it was the same? seems like to me you're suffering from the usual confirmation bias "insert boogyman out to get us." nonsense I see all over this site.

May 2, 12:15 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to GrimAtrament
@rohan121 so where's your source on the edit princess peach shower when i literally just showed it was the same? seems like to me you're suffering from the usual confirmation bias "insert boogyman out to get us." nonsense I see all over this site.
@GrimAtrament
That scene seems mostly the same so I will fix it.
May 2, 11:48 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to FanofAction
*insert eye role here*. Ok, I can agree all the Stellar Blade stuff was complete nonsense. Censorship bad, so on and so forth. This however.....Why is this worth making a fuss about? If this was about them covering up mermaid Peach more in her new game, I'd be on board with calling it out. But this? Seriously? People are going to get up in arms about this? Catcalling a female goomba? If you want to bang a goomba, just say so, fuck. Why do you need this to enjoy the game?

Let me be perfectly clear, I'm not saying that they should or shouldn't have made this change. I'm saying complaining about this particular change is kinda sad imo.
@FanofAction That does go both ways. If we're talking about pretty much insignificant changes, then why is it so important to censor them in the first place? It's a purely reductive argument to make the problem about any one change itself and not the principle/reality of censorship. I think it's a big problem if a product of its time can't exist today without having to be sanitized for political correctness, perhaps barring something truly egregious. Games shouldn't have a political onus placed on them, but that seems to be a pipe dream in our modern world.
LostSpectreMay 2, 11:59 PM
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 2, 11:56 PM

Jan 2013
@GrimAtramaent You have literal rocks for brains if you can't comprehend that Shift Up lied about the costumes, and there's plenty of evidence that other outfits had been censored as well before 1.0. They flat out can't legally say a damn thing about whether or not Sony is the reason for said changes, so outright believing them because "they said so" is beyond naïve. It absolutely defies all common sense to think the same people making Stellar Blade thought the Bunny Suit would actually look better if it covered up more of her cleavage and her ass cheeks, with a hastily added piece of lace underneath, quit spouting fucking nonsense.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 3, 12:50 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to LostSpectre
@FanofAction That does go both ways. If we're talking about pretty much insignificant changes, then why is it so important to censor them in the first place? It's a purely reductive argument to make the problem about any one change itself and not the principle/reality of censorship. I think it's a big problem if a product of its time can't exist today without having to be sanitized for political correctness, perhaps barring something truly egregious. Games shouldn't have a political onus placed on them, but that seems to be a pipe dream in our modern world.
@LostSpectre Well, yeah. Questionable wording aside, I was never intending to imply that this is a change that needs to happen in my previous posts. I understand why anyone would be against something like this. It sets a precedent for this becoming more and more normalized in an attempt to please people who probably won't even play the games to begin with. Like with Lollipop Chainsaw, how they switched from a remake to a remaster because people were afraid a remake would change too many things. At least from what I read.

I get the anti-censorship mindset. My issue is purely with the people who get way too worked up over things and too caught up in political name-calling , because it doesn't paint people who are against censorship in a good light. I'm more of a choose my battles kinda person with these things. A change like this is dumb if it's real, but it's not something I feel the need to get really up in arms about. Maybe that's not the best stance to take, but that's my stance.

FanofActionMay 3, 1:08 AM
May 3, 1:21 AM

Jan 2013
Reply to FanofAction
@LostSpectre Well, yeah. Questionable wording aside, I was never intending to imply that this is a change that needs to happen in my previous posts. I understand why anyone would be against something like this. It sets a precedent for this becoming more and more normalized in an attempt to please people who probably won't even play the games to begin with. Like with Lollipop Chainsaw, how they switched from a remake to a remaster because people were afraid a remake would change too many things. At least from what I read.

I get the anti-censorship mindset. My issue is purely with the people who get way too worked up over things and too caught up in political name-calling , because it doesn't paint people who are against censorship in a good light. I'm more of a choose my battles kinda person with these things. A change like this is dumb if it's real, but it's not something I feel the need to get really up in arms about. Maybe that's not the best stance to take, but that's my stance.

@FanofAction I strongly disagree with it, but I'm not personally wasting much energy on it, that's futile. The winds of social justice infected gaming over a decade ago, that's just the reality now. Maybe in the future we'll mature enough that feminists aren't literally trying to make female characters look uglier (there's so many examples) so that said characters won't be reduced to "objects" sexual or otherwise by players, but we're certainly not there yet. Now, I'm not saying that every game (and all media, really) falls victim to this mindset, but the bigger or more mainstream it is, the more likely it will be influenced by such attitudes.

The people against woke censorship are automatically branded as incels, racists, right wing, etc. so there's no such thing as a "good light".
LostSpectreMay 3, 1:28 AM
May 3, 1:33 AM

Oct 2022
Reply to FanofAction

FanofAction said:
That's the best stance you can take. Seeing this culture war clash of people butting heads over the stupidest things is sad to watch.
When a pancake lover does something: "Outrageous vicious crime"

When a waffle lover does something: "That means it is not illegal"

Quotes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_HIM667Do&t=2822s
May 3, 7:22 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to AzafuseKingTora
@Tropisch The only thing I'm offended by is people stuck in 2015. Changing some minor-ass dialouge in Paper Mario won't mean the end of the world, and implying that being a toxic asshat will fix everything is beyond delusional.
@AzafuseKingTora We have been on a slippery slope for a very long time now...
May 3, 8:33 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to WaffleMaster89
FanofAction said:
That's the best stance you can take. Seeing this culture war clash of people butting heads over the stupidest things is sad to watch.
@WaffleMaster89 With the power of hindsight, there is really no such thing as stupid battle. If we let anything slide, we'll just be in a death by thousand cuts situation.
It's not just relevant here, but as a general life lesson. Just look at how far gaming has come from the Oblivion horse armor dlc.
May 3, 9:20 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to LostSpectre
@FanofAction I strongly disagree with it, but I'm not personally wasting much energy on it, that's futile. The winds of social justice infected gaming over a decade ago, that's just the reality now. Maybe in the future we'll mature enough that feminists aren't literally trying to make female characters look uglier (there's so many examples) so that said characters won't be reduced to "objects" sexual or otherwise by players, but we're certainly not there yet. Now, I'm not saying that every game (and all media, really) falls victim to this mindset, but the bigger or more mainstream it is, the more likely it will be influenced by such attitudes.

The people against woke censorship are automatically branded as incels, racists, right wing, etc. so there's no such thing as a "good light".
@LostSpectre Yeah...I'm fully aware that there are people who will label you no matter what if you're even remotely against them. I've been fairly vocal about how I hate things like that and people judging others for their choice in media. I've even mentioned I hate how they completely ignore the portrayal of unrealistic male bodies and male sexualization in media. Not my point. My point is two wrongs don't make a right and both sides staying firmly within their bubbles and hurling buzzword insults at each other is painful to watch and solves nothing.
May 3, 12:28 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to JaniSIr
@WaffleMaster89 With the power of hindsight, there is really no such thing as stupid battle. If we let anything slide, we'll just be in a death by thousand cuts situation.
It's not just relevant here, but as a general life lesson. Just look at how far gaming has come from the Oblivion horse armor dlc.
@JaniSIr Imagine thinking your fighting a war by bitching about manifactured non-troversies everyone will forget about in a week, all because you can't accept people different than you can enjoy the same things you do, or express themselves through those things, or have a voice at all because you hate them.

But I get it, NPCs not catcalling a Goomba in the new Mario is just as bad as Nintendo's shady anti-consumer practices.
May 3, 1:34 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to JaniSIr
@JaniSIr You know that learning when to back off is kind of a core part of battle, right? Tactical withdrawal and whatnot. You know, that thing you do in games when you find yourself in an area you aren't fully prepared for. Or to be more in line with this type of thing, sometimes it's better to sit back and not say shit while the other side shoots itself in the metaphorical foot. A thing that's perfectly valid to do.
FanofActionMay 3, 1:48 PM
May 4, 4:25 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to AzafuseKingTora
@JaniSIr Imagine thinking your fighting a war by bitching about manifactured non-troversies everyone will forget about in a week, all because you can't accept people different than you can enjoy the same things you do, or express themselves through those things, or have a voice at all because you hate them.

But I get it, NPCs not catcalling a Goomba in the new Mario is just as bad as Nintendo's shady anti-consumer practices.
@AzafuseKingTora You know, people only say that these changes are irrelevant after they have been implemented.
AzafuseKingTora said:
because you can't accept people different than you can enjoy the same things you do, or express themselves through those things, or have a voice at all because you hate them.

And the owl called the sparrow big headed.
Yesterday, 12:54 PM

Jul 2013
Good thing I already know plenty of Japanese (I already know most Chinese characters and particles), so I won't have to deal with crap quality translations or ADR.

Like that semitomboy I haven't seen in years, I rather take my chances with Japanese media in its respective language.

Nintendo should be using AI to translate their properties because kids these days don't care about localizations, wokalizations, etc anymore. They think it's a vanity project and I agree.

Kids these days don't necessarily have to have stupid westerns put their voices over dialogue or original audio of entertainment. Again, I agree with them about localizations being an old vanity project. We're getting close enough to seeing AI making serious improvements.

Advances in technology are the reason why ADR companies or western facilities dedicated to putting English over Japanese scripts deserve to be obsolete.

Wild Arms 2 doesn't have voice acting at all and I understood the original script just fine. No thanks to Soyny.

More topics from this board

» Whixh is the best Pc for playing games?

Abd56ullah - 2 hours ago

1 by PPL_CaLL_Me_DUDE »»
11 minutes ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

17 by Maumuu »»
4 hours ago

» Wuthering Waves

ashisland - Today

4 by Tropisch »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Who do you pair up Link with?

Kazu-chan-san - Feb 16

7 by AzafuseKingTora »»
7 hours ago

» Switch 2 launching with Breath of the Wild Remake!?

rohan121 - May 12

11 by lucjan »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.