Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 8, 12:50 PM

Apr 2012
Hey,

just watched the movie yesterday. It was very frustrating how ALL the introduced characters INSTANTLY became close friends with Suzume. Even the romance made no sense. Everything feels rushed and coming out of nowhere.

This movie needed like an hour of additional scenes fleshing out how Suzume actually got closer to all the people.

I feel bad for all the people watching this movie, then going traveling and expecting to be treated this nicely by strangers LOL
If you haven't watched "Fantastic Children", don't talk about "best anime". Thank you.
Apr 8, 12:58 PM
Oct 2017
It's a 2 hours movie... the medium is limited for this kind of stuff
Apr 8, 1:00 PM
Apr 2023
Dije said:

it's not . watch the boy and the beast
Apr 8, 1:01 PM
Apr 2023
MyllerPhiem said:
Hey,

just watched the movie yesterday. It was very frustrating how ALL the introduced characters INSTANTLY became close friends with Suzume. Even the romance made no sense. Everything feels rushed and coming out of nowhere.

This movie needed like an hour of additional scenes fleshing out how Suzume actually got closer to all the people.

I feel bad for all the people watching this movie, then going traveling and expecting to be treated this nicely by strangers LOL

yeah it's almost creepy. if shinkai keeps doing shit like this it'll fail. doesn't have the fantasy element of your name that much, nor the sadness of 5cm . just random romance,friendship with 0context
Apr 8, 1:03 PM
Oct 2017
Reply to SIimyBread
Dije said:

@SIimyBread I don't like furry shows so I'll skip, but still the time available to tell a story in a movie is not much
Apr 8, 1:05 PM
Apr 2023
Dije said:
@SIimyBread I don't like furry shows so I'll skip, but still the time available to tell a story in a movie is not much

well yeah, that's one of the reasons i don't like anime movies in general. but shinkai does it half heartedly than other movie authors.
Apr 8, 1:07 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Dije
@Dije

You're an idiot. Boy and the Beast is a fantastic movie and there's nothing furry about it unless you want to make it weird.

And I must have missed the hundreds of movies in movie-history that managed to tell romances just fine. Shinkai just sucks at them, especially in this movie.
If you haven't watched "Fantastic Children", don't talk about "best anime". Thank you.
Apr 8, 2:39 PM

Oct 2020
Makoto Shinkai cannot write*

fixed that for you
Apr 8, 2:51 PM
Nov 2023
Can’t wait for the MyllerPhiem movies to air, they’ll be well written and shame all those experienced writers and producers who are obviously awful but just sell millions of tickets to their immediate families 😂
I’m always amazed when armchair critics overanalyse entertainment that makes thousands of people happy to try to demonstrate their superiority.
Apr 8, 3:59 PM

Nov 2019
FutoiOtaku said:
Can’t wait for the MyllerPhiem movies to air, they’ll be well written and shame all those experienced writers and producers who are obviously awful but just sell millions of tickets to their immediate families 😂
I’m always amazed when armchair critics overanalyse entertainment that makes thousands of people happy to try to demonstrate their superiority.

At the very least they formed their own opinions. majority of people don't.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 8, 4:05 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to FutoiOtaku
@FutoiOtaku

Are you ok? Since when is criticism no longer allowed? My posting is perfectly normal.
Apr 8, 4:09 PM

Sep 2016
MyllerPhiem said:
Makoto Shinka cannot write plausible human relationships

Wait, this sounds like plausible human relationships actually exist in other Anime. I have never seen one, need examples please.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 8, 4:21 PM
Apr 2024
MyllerPhiem said:
Hey,

What are you, some literature 101 student?

You’re not watching a soap opera, friend. If a door appeared out of thin air and nowhere with Puella Magi-esque elements searing within, you would automatically become friends with whoever’s with you in this.

Like I became automatically friends with fellow passengers onboard a plane I flew with in 2015 when the right engine flamed out and we had to just cruise at 15,000ft. Same principle applies.
Apr 8, 4:28 PM
Nov 2023
MyllerPhiem said:
@FutoiOtaku

Are you ok? Since when is criticism no longer allowed? My posting is perfectly normal.

It’s obviously normal for MAL, but the constructive thing to do is show the world how you would do it better rather than declare a successful writer whose works are enjoyed by thousands to be incompetent. Seriously, giant worms causing disasters and people turning into furniture are ok, but people being too friendly is what you complain about? It’s not a documentary 😂
Apr 8, 6:34 PM
Sep 2020
FutoiOtaku said:
MyllerPhiem said:
@FutoiOtaku

It’s obviously normal for MAL, but the constructive thing to do is show the world how you would do it better rather than declare a successful writer whose works are enjoyed by thousands to be incompetent. Seriously, giant worms causing disasters and people turning into furniture are ok, but people being too friendly is what you complain about? It’s not a documentary 😂

Popular isn't always good, Isekai in general are the best example, He's complaining about the "human relashionships" because they feel unrealistic, both "giant worms" and "people turning into furnitudes" are part of the fantasy aspect of the show, which is honestly pretty decent and creative, complain about the fantasy aspect of that show is only valid if that specific thing don't fit the rules of the world presented so far, on the other side, the relashionships of this show don't fit the rules of how people normally act in real life

idk If my answer fits the rules of grammar though
Apr 8, 8:20 PM
Oct 2020
I remember reading somewhere that the movie was gonna be quite different but the producers and such just made makoto do the boy x girl romance because it "sells well", dk how accurate it is, but it is a possible reason why this might have been done half heartedly
Apr 8, 9:23 PM
Jul 2022
i agree, in 2024 there is little to no reason to watch a Shinkai movie anymore
i feel like his movies always were more about visual presentation rather than engaging storylines and characters
this kinda formula may have worked 10-15 years ago but nowadays anime looks so good that even a Shinkai movie isnt anything special anymore
Apr 8, 9:36 PM
Jul 2022
I agree with you on the romance front. I didn't understand her feelings towards him past she saw him when she was younger and was fascinated with this person who she had dreams about. I understood his feelings towards her when we saw the adventure through his eyes, on the basis that he was dying and she was a clear light at his lowest point.

The other relationships, I think are fantastic. Her instantly connecting with a girl her age over the course of a night is entirely realistic, espiecially for solo travellers where you can meet potentially lifelong friends in one night. If you continue that relationship afterwards is up to you but that few hours is enough to bond as much as they did. The second relationship is an older women who is a mother. Her being protective of the runaway high-school girl is not at all surprising espiecially after she demonstrated that she was willing to pull over for someone who wasn't hailing her.
Apr 8, 10:35 PM
Apr 2023
Suzume is a masterpiece about a girl who learnt to grow up and gave her younger self hope. That scene made me cry. The extent of destruction caused by the 2011 earthquakes were a lot. Romance was never meant to be the main part of this movie. I agree people have opinions. I just stated mine.
Apr 9, 2:45 AM
Jul 2021
MIME_07 said:

fixed that for you

Woah, we have an intelligent judge here who possibly wrote some good stories.
Apr 9, 2:46 AM
Jul 2021
MyllerPhiem said:
Hey,

Yeah almost agree, compared to what he did in Kimi no na wa or Tenki no ko, Suzume feels unnatural when it comes to character bonding.
Apr 9, 7:34 AM
Mar 2023
Suzume is the worst makoto shinkai movie ever if it weren't for it's beautiful animation and great music by Radwimps i wouldn't even consider it.
Apr 9, 9:58 AM
Oct 2021
For me easily it's Shinaki's worst movie. Plot was dull. Story didn't convince me. Although music and animation was good still I prefer his other works. Even though it was my first anime movie in theaters.
Apr 9, 1:55 PM
Mar 2023
Zarutaku said:
MyllerPhiem said:

Wait, this sounds like plausible human relationships actually exist in other Anime. I have never seen one, need examples please.

Bible Black has some great ones.
Apr 9, 1:57 PM
Jun 2023
SIimyBread said:
Dije said:

Ok so you are telling me that the boy and the beast is better than suzume LOL
Apr 9, 2:09 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Tankalty
SIimyBread said:
Dije said:

@Tankalty Significantly better even, yes.
Apr 9, 2:25 PM
Jun 2023
MyllerPhiem said:

How can you like such a non-sence Boring stuff
Apr 9, 3:13 PM
Apr 2023
Tankalty said:
SIimyBread said:

yes and it's not even close
Apr 9, 3:16 PM
Apr 2023
Tankalty said:
MyllerPhiem said:

How can you like such a non-sence Boring stuff

bro thinks suzume makes sense when it's just the start of every isekai (,gate shit,)
Apr 9, 11:45 PM

Sep 2016
Reply to bahimiron
Zarutaku said:
MyllerPhiem said:

Bible Black has some great ones.
@bahimiron Is that the one with the girl who acquires a taste for yogurt?
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 10, 2:33 AM
Jul 2020
well, then watch Garden of Words by Makoto shinkai, his best movie and 40 min long
Apr 10, 11:07 AM
Mar 2022
SIimyBread said:
MyllerPhiem said:
Hey,

yeah it's almost creepy. if shinkai keeps doing shit like this it'll fail. doesn't have the fantasy element of your name that much, nor the sadness of 5cm . just random romance,friendship with 0context

Yeah I think so too. Suzume was really boring and failed to point out a deep massage (In the end the cat had to suffer just like before suzume accidently released it bcs Suzume loved the guy. Really selfish message if you ask me.)
Apr 10, 2:00 PM
Nov 2019
In the train, the side characters judged Suzume for being in worn out clothes and in bare foot.

The spectators thinking that Tomoya (Souta's friend) and Suzume are in a lover's quarrel for reaching out to her when he just wants to help her find Souta too.

Tomoya looking like he was two-timing Suzume and Tamaki (Suzume's aunt) when they are just in the same car. Tamaki being Suzume's aunt and Tomoya and Suzume being acquaintances of Souta.

In the road side stop area, Tomoya making Tamaki cry but it was just Tamaki already in tears and wanting to be consoled by him for regretting all the awful things she said to Suzume.

When it comes to any of the characters the spectators would always be the most relatable because of how realistic they actually are. Simply because they are just drifting, observing, and judging from a distance.

While just like all the main characters, they represent people's inner circle. Both may not be relatable because it's not just on a shallow level but on a much deeper level as a whole.

So in a way, it makes sense that said main characters interactions aren't realistic to only compare it to everyday peoples rather than it being *your* people or *my* people but just on *other* people.
Apr 14, 2:38 AM
Apr 2023
MyllerPhiem said:
Hey,

well I guess they want to speed things up coz it's a movie. it's not bad I guess
Apr 14, 2:38 AM
Apr 2023
Dije said:

I agree. same thinking
Apr 14, 5:19 AM
Sep 2023
MyllerPhiem said:
Hey,

I watched every shinkai movie mostly, suzume faces same problem as children who chase lost voices, more focus on main plot so romantic sub plot feel off, but suprising the place promised in our early days faces opposite problem it has more focus on romantic plot than main plot, other than these makoto shinkai movies decent to very good
Apr 15, 9:37 AM

Dec 2015
MIME_07 said:

fixed that for you

Thank you. (It is very apparent since he switched to full length films. In that one, especially, where relationships aren't the main intrigue, and where he already has difficulties telling the story he would like to organically. Surprise, he doesn't succeed there either.)

Reading some answers, it sounds like some anime consumers should start watching films. Or reading short stories. You don't need a TV show or a novel to tell a story that will feature decently described / progressing romances. You don't even need a series or a novel to be focused on it (be a love story) to be successful at it.
Rei_IIIApr 15, 9:43 AM
Apr 17, 1:22 AM

Aug 2016
Reply to SIimyBread
Dije said:

@SIimyBread the bioy AND the beast Is an even worse example of romance despite being an overall better movie. If you want proper romance in movies, you need to look outside of a anime
:v
Apr 17, 4:16 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to MichaelJackson
@SIimyBread the bioy AND the beast Is an even worse example of romance despite being an overall better movie. If you want proper romance in movies, you need to look outside of a anime
@MichaelJackson Nah.

Watch "True Tears". Anime used to be good.
Apr 17, 4:23 AM

Aug 2018
It's not his best film, disappointed. I hope he makes a movie like Garden of Words again...
Apr 19, 8:17 PM

Aug 2016
Reply to MyllerPhiem
@MichaelJackson Nah.

Watch "True Tears". Anime used to be good.
@MyllerPhiem to my PTW it goes. might give it a chance in 2040
:v

More topics from this board

» Remake of weathering with you?

Jackson_rajkumar - Today

35 by BitChilly »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Suzume no Tojimari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Shikkakku - Nov 11, 2022

343 by gossigratta »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Next natural disaster?

mechian - Apr 15, 2023

6 by Rob7 »»
Apr 23, 9:55 PM

» Serizawa's car and his playlist

kintups - Mar 10, 2023

16 by Rob7 »»
Apr 23, 9:51 PM

Poll: » the "romance" didn't make sense ( 1 2 )

MongoDB - Apr 15, 2023

68 by MichaelJackson »»
Apr 17, 10:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.