Forum Settings
Forums

Favorite (Villain) Voice Performance in an Anime?

New
Mar 10, 9:09 AM
Feb 2016
I'd been thinking about this for the past few months, experiencing Umineko When They Cry with voices, and noting that Sayaka Ohara, Beatrice's voice actress who debuted in the maligned anime adaptation, is giving 110% to this role.
Through those line deliveries, the breathiness, the (fairly justified at this point) sense of pride, the panickedness with brief resignation, going all out for the name calling, hell there was one point it looked like she was quickly inhaling through her nose as if taken aback during a line, it’s intoxicating whenever she talks and also does such a good job wanting to see her get knocked down several pegs in the future.

What are some of your favorite villains in anime JUST based off of how well the actor performed the character?
Japanese or English but preferably Japanese performances here.
Mar 10, 9:14 AM

Sep 2016
Not sure if favorite but Hideyuki Tanaka as Doflamingo is certainly high up in the list because of his incredibly arrogant laugher.

ZarutakuMar 10, 10:18 AM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Mar 10, 9:15 AM

Feb 2020
Paul St. Peter as Cherubimon in Digimon Frontier.

SerafosMar 10, 9:27 AM
Mar 10, 9:18 AM

Aug 2021
Toshiyuki Morikawa as Bondrewd(Made in Abyss).

Mark Hamill as Joker.

Mar 10, 9:23 AM

Mar 2012
I fell in love with Akira Ishida's voice after hearing him voice Saralegui. I love how ambitious, evil, cunning, sly and manipulative Saralegui is and Akira Ishida did the perfect job of expressing that.
Mar 10, 9:24 AM

Aug 2020
Sasaki Nozomu - Johan Liebert
Takehito Koyasu - DIO
Mar 10, 9:26 AM

Aug 2020
Absurdo_N said:
Toshiyuki Morikawa as Bondrewd(Made in Abyss).
guy also voiced Kira Yoshikage, Griffith, Naraku and Boros which all were phenomenal.
Mar 10, 9:41 AM

Sep 2018
Takasugi Jay Jiro voicing Pegasus J. Crawford (Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters). A very unique voice acting, I read a comment somewhere describing it as resembling a "drunken gay samurai".
Mar 10, 10:00 AM
Oct 2019
Yui Horie: Jens(Asobi ni Iku yo!)
Yui Horie/Yukari Tamura:Kyou twin(Ben-To)
Jun Fukuyama: Lelouch. (Code Geass)
Junichi Suwabe: Tristan. (Dies Irae)
Takehito Koyasu: Dio. (JoJo)
Toshiyuki Morikawa: Kira (JoJo)
Konishi Katsuyuki: Diavolo (JoJo)
Tomokazu Seki : Pucci (JoJo)
Sasaki Nozomu: Johan (Monster)
Sarah Emi Bridcut: Malty (Shield Hero)
Maaya Uchida: Frenda (Toaru Railgun S)
Mar 10, 10:35 AM
Feb 2016
Reply to Serafos
Paul St. Peter as Cherubimon in Digimon Frontier.

@Serafos

He also voices Xemnas in Kingdom Hearts and for a series that can have very flat English voice direction at other points, his voice is pretty sublime in fitting the character:
https://youtu.be/ah6GbkBoEsw?si=PfI18SfIpMT8oPXp
Mar 10, 10:41 AM

Jun 2011
Reply to Zarutaku
Not sure if favorite but Hideyuki Tanaka as Doflamingo is certainly high up in the list because of his incredibly arrogant laugher.

@Zarutaku His laugh is so peak that there's a channel on YT getting millions and millions of views just imitating his laugh.

For the curious,
ToG25thBaamMar 10, 10:44 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 10, 10:52 AM
Oct 2019
Any Takehito Koyasu villain performance. But if I have to pick a specific character, than DIO.
Mar 10, 10:53 AM

Oct 2013
Takehito koyasu is my favorite villain va
Mar 10, 11:01 AM

Jun 2019
Toshiyuki Morikawa as Naraku in Inuyasha, hands down. His voice work and the intensity which exuded from that character's portrayal and just anything they did in the story, even when seemingly talking about more minor or mundane things, is one of, admittedly many, things which elevated the series so much for me as such a powerful and visceral experience. Along with Kappei Yamaguchi's (Inuyasha) and Satsuki Yukino's (Kagome) own vocal performances. The voice work in the series as a whole is fucking phenomenal, but those characters are at the center of it, and for a villain role, Naraku's every word was typically made to feel like acid or bile being choked and spat out and given this infuriatingly condescending, contemptuous, sinister air that made it feel like reality that you couldn't trust this character to tell you the time of day without some devious ploy encased within their words. He could read a self-help audiobook on meditation practices or a list of ingredients on the food package labeling of a box of saltine crackers in this voice for this role and still sound intense and dialed up to 11.

When I watched Kenpuu Denki Berserk for the first time a few years later, I had absolutely no clue throughout the entirety of the series that he also voiced Griffith. To me the voices sounded nothing alike, but upon finding out that piece of information after the fact, I did go back and revisit it, obviously looking for that, and it does become more noticeable in the later episodes after some radical changes to the character of Griffith and the associated tumultuous plot events.

And then also again he appeared as Bondrewd in Made in Abyss, much closer, I thought, in form to his voice for Naraku. It's such a fantastic voice.

There have been other supporting characters (including non-villainous ones) I've heard him voice too, like the father of the reincarnated boy in the The World's Finest Assassin Gets Reincarnated in Another World as an Aristocrat and things like that, and on those occasions too I'm always surprised to hear his voice "randomly" surface. It's so memorable and distinct to me (except I still think as pre-fall Griffith it came across as something entirely other).

I also find it interesting how there's a thematic link, in the way I see it, with those three villains. He's acted in a lot of other stuff obviously, but those are three pretty major (popular and/or successful for their day) series and the villains in a way actually have a lot in common in terms of their conception of themselves and the world. All either want from the beginning, or are at least willing to after certain events change them, to essentially transcend and cast off their humanity to seek access to some raw cosmic power like infinite knowledge, immortality, etc. All see their humanity as an impediment and limitation to either personal achievement and progress or, collectively, progress as a whole species. With some its manifestation is portrayed as more innately selfish (Naraku) and others (Bondrewd) more a selfless researcher/pioneer spirit, but they're all very much on the same wavelength in this respect, and I find it in some ways admirable and awe-inspiring that they're willing to engage in any large scale atrocity to advance this.
WatchTillTandavaMar 10, 11:06 AM
Mar 10, 11:11 AM

May 2019
Ayana Taketatsu who voiced demon-possessed Aldra from Queen's Blade.
Mar 10, 11:18 AM

May 2021
This may be obvious from a glance at my profile but Sawashiro, Miyuki's performance as Kirari Momobami in Kakegurui has stuck with me for years. She is my favorite female seiyuu and to have her voice one of my favorite antagonists was an absolute trip. Her work on Demon Slayer's Entertainment District arc was incredible as well, in my opinion made Daki the demon more believable + the emotional scenes hit even harder. Overall she has a great voice for female antagonist type characters

Mar 10, 11:56 AM

May 2019
Reply to Horizon248
This may be obvious from a glance at my profile but Sawashiro, Miyuki's performance as Kirari Momobami in Kakegurui has stuck with me for years. She is my favorite female seiyuu and to have her voice one of my favorite antagonists was an absolute trip. Her work on Demon Slayer's Entertainment District arc was incredible as well, in my opinion made Daki the demon more believable + the emotional scenes hit even harder. Overall she has a great voice for female antagonist type characters

@Horizon248 Daki is such a great vilainess, i loved every second of her on screen and Sawahiro's performance was immaculate.

Mar 10, 12:29 PM

Jan 2021
There are plenty but right now, Aizen comes to mind.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Mar 10, 1:57 PM

May 2021
tchitchouan said:
@Horizon248 Daki is such a great vilainess, i loved every second of her on screen and Sawahiro's performance was immaculate.

@tchitchouan 100% totally agree and same. Daki has a cool design to begin with and Sawashiro's voice is just Chef's Kiss
Mar 10, 2:44 PM

Jul 2021
yorokobe shounen, kimi no negai wa youyaku kanau! - Jouji nakata as Kirei
Mar 10, 2:53 PM
Jan 2021
Joji Nakata = Alucard
Kenyu Horiuchi = Pain
Mar 10, 2:58 PM
Jan 2020
Wanted to add a few english dubs here.

Keith Silverstein as Johan Liebert from Monster.

in the 1997 adaption of Berserk.

Gildart Jackson as The Major from Hellsing Ultimate.

Mark Oliver as Rau Le Creseut in the Ocean dub of Gundam Seed.

Michael Kopsa as Char Aznable in the original Gundam series and Char's Counterattack.
Mar 28, 6:21 PM

Apr 2020
Expected nothing less from Sugita played as Dr. Ver from Symphogear G
Mar 28, 6:45 PM

Dec 2021
Always the goofy ones for me. Specifically Shinigami from Yume no Crayon Oukoku jumps out as my favorite villain character. Dude can be serious and evil, or just plain stupid and relatable, all without losing the ability to snap right back to serious and evil. Ken Yamaguchi made this villain as fun as he could, and his performance kinda makes me want to check out other stuff he voiced in.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 43 minutes ago

18 by mentalmondai »»
50 seconds ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

66 by DesolatePsyche »»
52 seconds ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - Yesterday

19 by alshu »»
2 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 27 minutes ago

5 by Tirinchas »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 10 hours ago

25 by DigiCat »»
2 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.