Forum Settings
Forums

Would you still watch anime if Crunchyroll closed down?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 4, 7:32 PM

Aug 2013
I use Crunchyroll for comfort to watch stuff on my PS4, but other than that...most anime I want to watch aren't even on crunchyroll.
Mar 6, 12:57 PM

May 2022
Yes because I've never watched anime with Crunchyroll in my life.
Mar 6, 3:14 PM

Feb 2022
Reply to Paul
I feel like people don't seem to understand what CR has done for anime subs. It doesn't matter if you don't watch anime on CR. If you've watched any TV anime released in the past decade or two, then you've likely watched something subbed by CR. All those stream sites you use, they're mostly rips of CR or other big names like Funimation or Netflix.

As someone who started watching anime when fansubs were the main source of airing shows, I do not want to go back to that time but if I had no choice then I have no choice. I just hate to see what kind of crap people will shove in their translations or a trendy show having 5 different groups translating one show.
@Paul Again like I said on my comment: this would only happen in the edge case of Crunchyroll going bust and every single other choice also going kaput other than fansubs.
Even in this apocalyptic scenario fansubs would still exist, but the way more likely thing to happen, is every other streaming site filling that gaping hole. Hidive, Netflix, who knows what else, would all solve the issue and we would still keep sailing the seven seas watching the very same professionally subbed anime for free.

No one would stop watching movies and series altogether if Netflix closed, regardless of what they did to the streaming market. No one would stop driving cars if Ford stopped making them, regardless of their impact in the industry.
Mar 7, 2:37 AM
Feb 2024
I don’t support localization. Period.

Everything from switching up scripts to appeal to a Western social agenda to insulting and dehumanizing the fan base. Western dubbing companies and licensers are a clusterfuck of self-righteous western demagoguery.

This is why I torrent all of my anime. I’m not giving my welfare money to these corrupt assholes.
Mar 7, 2:54 AM

May 2019
Reply to AverageRiceFan
“YoHoHo it’s a pirates life for me”
Yar-har-fiddle-dee-dee!
Being a pirate is all right to be!
Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free
You are a pirate!

AcD4c said:
Nice try police officer, but I'm not telling.

Wait, somebody updates me, in which countries the snowflakes with 1st world problems genuinally have fear of the law for pirating media? lol
Mar 7, 8:08 AM

Jan 2008
Reply to Kalvin_ET
@Paul Again like I said on my comment: this would only happen in the edge case of Crunchyroll going bust and every single other choice also going kaput other than fansubs.
Even in this apocalyptic scenario fansubs would still exist, but the way more likely thing to happen, is every other streaming site filling that gaping hole. Hidive, Netflix, who knows what else, would all solve the issue and we would still keep sailing the seven seas watching the very same professionally subbed anime for free.

No one would stop watching movies and series altogether if Netflix closed, regardless of what they did to the streaming market. No one would stop driving cars if Ford stopped making them, regardless of their impact in the industry.
@Kalvin_ET

The topic is just a 'what if' scenario and is my reply to said case. It's pretty obvious CR isn't going to be going down anytime soon.
Mar 7, 11:19 AM

Feb 2024
I was watching a bunch of animes through C-roll until they turned most of their choices into premium. I'm just glad most of the major streaming services (Hulu, Netflix etc.) got anime sections now.
Mar 7, 3:40 PM

Oct 2014
I've been watching anime long before Crunchyroll existed, and I'll still be doing so long after they're gone. Crunchyroll isn't crucial in the big picture of the medium. Things would simply shift and adapt, then it's business as usual.
Mar 7, 4:10 PM

Feb 2014
My life would stay the same since I never watched crunchyroll before.
Mar 7, 11:49 PM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
It would be good if anime streaming services like Crunchyroll died. Then all the normies who can't figure out other ways to obtain anime would quit the hobby and make everything better for us. If anime didn't get super popular in the west, then maybe the shows wouldn't be so censored nowadays. In the past ecchi used to be uncensored on blurays. Now most ecchi shows still have rays of light and steam covering the good parts. The normification of anime is the leading cause.
Mar 8, 3:36 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to BigBoyAdvance
It would be good if anime streaming services like Crunchyroll died. Then all the normies who can't figure out other ways to obtain anime would quit the hobby and make everything better for us. If anime didn't get super popular in the west, then maybe the shows wouldn't be so censored nowadays. In the past ecchi used to be uncensored on blurays. Now most ecchi shows still have rays of light and steam covering the good parts. The normification of anime is the leading cause.
@BigBoyAdvance

It's not that "normies" can't figure out how to torrent, surf illegal streaming with annoying malicious popups, or even just simply download illegal ripped Anime from file hosting sites, etc... It's simply some Fans just wish to pay for the stuff they enjoy consuming. Though, uncensored Blu-rays still exists, even if its not done often these days. The main reason why it's becoming less common is probably because as an example a majority of anyone outside of Japan who consumes Ecchi these days, specifically in the West, likely aren't going to buy the Blu-rays even if they did produce them. So not much incentive for western distribution companies that licenses Anime to start printing copies on physical media when they won't sell enough to at least break even anymore. The industry caught on and realized the West was simply just ripping their uncensored Blu-rays to the internet simply for others to leech off of. If I was a in the business of physical media distribution, I wouldn't bother trying to print out uncensored Blu-rays anymore either if I was noticing what has been happening to this medium on the internet too.

An irony about this is if it's the minority of Fans in the west now who are actually paying for the Anime they consume these days wouldn't the real "Normies" be everyone else in this context?
ColourWheelMar 8, 5:50 AM
Mar 8, 7:34 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Reply to ColourWheel
@BigBoyAdvance

It's not that "normies" can't figure out how to torrent, surf illegal streaming with annoying malicious popups, or even just simply download illegal ripped Anime from file hosting sites, etc... It's simply some Fans just wish to pay for the stuff they enjoy consuming. Though, uncensored Blu-rays still exists, even if its not done often these days. The main reason why it's becoming less common is probably because as an example a majority of anyone outside of Japan who consumes Ecchi these days, specifically in the West, likely aren't going to buy the Blu-rays even if they did produce them. So not much incentive for western distribution companies that licenses Anime to start printing copies on physical media when they won't sell enough to at least break even anymore. The industry caught on and realized the West was simply just ripping their uncensored Blu-rays to the internet simply for others to leech off of. If I was a in the business of physical media distribution, I wouldn't bother trying to print out uncensored Blu-rays anymore either if I was noticing what has been happening to this medium on the internet too.

An irony about this is if it's the minority of Fans in the west now who are actually paying for the Anime they consume these days wouldn't the real "Normies" be everyone else in this context?
ColourWheel said:
It's not that "normies" can't figure out how to torrent, surf illegal streaming with annoying malicious popups, or even just simply download illegal ripped Anime from file hosting sites, etc...

>underestimating the depths of brain rot among normies
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Don't you find the obsession with fictional characters in the anime community alarming? ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - May 10

115 by deg »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you have a prejudice against people who watch ecchi/hentai? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 9

72 by DesuMaiden »»
10 minutes ago

» Are anime getting worse and worse ?

Shomix - 1 hour ago

7 by tchitchouan »»
11 minutes ago

» Will we get more anime's that reflect "Stoner Comedy"?

GoatPieceLuffy - 5 hours ago

22 by traed »»
15 minutes ago

» Score Inflation

Lucifrost - 8 hours ago

15 by LoveYourSmile »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.