Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 14, 7:59 AM

Jan 2015
That was a lot take in.
Souls are again being mentioned, but now it’s very clear that they have a role in the Abyss. I felt like some stuff was answered, yet we’re so far from the truth.

I hope Nanachi is okay :(
Feb 14, 9:27 AM
Nov 2020
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 14, 9:50 AM
Apr 2023
this one took so long when is the next chapter coming out
Feb 14, 9:59 AM
Feb 2023
any idea of where to read?
Feb 14, 11:34 AM
Mar 2020
the two new characters are charming! I'm very curious about the implications they'll have at this point of the story. souls got mentioned again, and some aspects were clarified (most of all, that they seem to actually be something and not just speculation!). i hope Nanachi is ok, although though it doesn't feel like she's going to have that much importance at this point, it just feels bad to lose her that way. looking forward to the next chapter!(it will probably come out in 6 months lol)
Feb 14, 11:40 AM
Mar 2020
Wadooo said:

if you are searching for EN scans, Kissmanga.in is a good option, as that it gets updated as soon as a new MIA chapter releases. hope this was helpful!
Feb 14, 12:12 PM
Oct 2020
WTF just happened? I hope Nanachi is fine. We also got some lore stuff. Souls etc.
Feb 14, 1:07 PM
boop boop

Mar 2018
Reply to SIimyBread
this one took so long when is the next chapter coming out
@SIimyBread He has no schedule
死だけが確実
Feb 14, 1:41 PM
Apr 2018
great chapter as always now we just wait for another 6-7 months
Feb 14, 2:08 PM
Dec 2019
gorgeous as always. No one can adapt this unless its a movie and even then its iffy.
Feb 14, 5:07 PM
Jan 2020
I think this chapter is one of the most important ones in the series (and it has very little to do with Nanachi)

The abyss, most likely, is the amalgamation of souls, or more particularly the collective unconscious. Souls don't exist outside of Orth/the abyss because the collective unconscious resides in the abyss. Every 2000 years, the abyss overflows due to the amount of collective unconsciousness built up which causes the curse (or the curse itself is the unconscious) to leak out. This is also further supported by a psychologist named Jung who described the conscious, subconscious, and unconscious mind as basically an abyss that could be an inspiration for the series.

The abyss judges the conscious and unconscious mind instead of what actually is. For instance, the orphans likely were assigned their birthdates due to fallen parents. That date isn't their real birthdate. however, they still die on that day. That's because their conscious mind believes that is their birthday. The fact that Riko and the others do not know what time it is actually protects them from this. Furthermore, we can also see this pattern in a previous arc with the value of objects. Riko's attachment to Meinya, a squished creature, holds more weight in the abyss's eyes than any treasure, solely because of her unwavering belief in its value, not because of what its objective value actually is. Kajyu mentions that those who believe their own lies have that has their true truth. Therefore, a lot of the consequences of the abyss result purely based on how one's mind perceives it rather than how it actually is.

So, why does this matter? Well, it would give a reasonable explanation for why Riko is actually likely to make it to the bottom. Riko is optimistic, a little oblivious (maybe intentionally!), and unaware of the surface's current time. These would all be protective factors for why a childlike wonder would actually benefit someone down to the abyss's deepest parts. If Riko does not know the time, then she cannot succumb to the birthday death disease. Riko is flawed which ironically makes her protected.

Feb 15, 10:30 AM

Jun 2011
^
@Belafu, Fantastic post!

Noooo Nnaa chan!! the head gear broke, too. :(
Who did it!? White whistle (Wakuna)? Foreign delver? 7th layer's creature?
Damn.. i'm surprised even tho everyone sensed the danger and were on guard, this happened.
Satou0KunFeb 15, 10:37 AM
Feb 15, 3:38 PM
Oct 2019
I was so invested in the soul stuff, that the nanachi thing came completely out of left field, I really hope we don't lose her like this. Also all the panels were amazing, one of my favorite and probably most lore important chapters of the entire series.
Feb 16, 8:11 AM
Dec 2021
Some panels are jaw-dropping
Feb 17, 12:42 PM
Feb 2023
Doggie_ said:
Wadooo said:

if you are searching for EN scans, Kissmanga.in is a good option, as that it gets updated as soon as a new MIA chapter releases. hope this was helpful!

wow thank you so so so much!! ❤️ holy shit this chapter is a tad bit worrying
Feb 18, 4:32 AM
Mar 2022
Well, way to go, leaving us on a cliffghanger like that. Now we'll just have to wait untill summer for the next chapter. Still, some of the best panels so far, the 7th layer looks amazing so far and I can't wait to see it in animated form.

I feel like we are only starting to scratch the surface of the whole "souls" thing here. We have some theories, a few confirmations and facts so the picture is starting to come together but we are still ways off.

I really hope that Nanachi will be okay, she's one of my favorite characters and it would suck major balls if this would be the end for her.
Feb 19, 6:11 AM
Dec 2021
(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:
Feb 19, 6:17 PM
Nov 2016
Pretty cool and all, well... see you in the next 7-8 months or something.
Feb 27, 12:00 AM
Mar 2018
Reply to Belafu
I think this chapter is one of the most important ones in the series (and it has very little to do with Nanachi)

The abyss, most likely, is the amalgamation of souls, or more particularly the collective unconscious. Souls don't exist outside of Orth/the abyss because the collective unconscious resides in the abyss. Every 2000 years, the abyss overflows due to the amount of collective unconsciousness built up which causes the curse (or the curse itself is the unconscious) to leak out. This is also further supported by a psychologist named Jung who described the conscious, subconscious, and unconscious mind as basically an abyss that could be an inspiration for the series.

The abyss judges the conscious and unconscious mind instead of what actually is. For instance, the orphans likely were assigned their birthdates due to fallen parents. That date isn't their real birthdate. however, they still die on that day. That's because their conscious mind believes that is their birthday. The fact that Riko and the others do not know what time it is actually protects them from this. Furthermore, we can also see this pattern in a previous arc with the value of objects. Riko's attachment to Meinya, a squished creature, holds more weight in the abyss's eyes than any treasure, solely because of her unwavering belief in its value, not because of what its objective value actually is. Kajyu mentions that those who believe their own lies have that has their true truth. Therefore, a lot of the consequences of the abyss result purely based on how one's mind perceives it rather than how it actually is.

So, why does this matter? Well, it would give a reasonable explanation for why Riko is actually likely to make it to the bottom. Riko is optimistic, a little oblivious (maybe intentionally!), and unaware of the surface's current time. These would all be protective factors for why a childlike wonder would actually benefit someone down to the abyss's deepest parts. If Riko does not know the time, then she cannot succumb to the birthday death disease. Riko is flawed which ironically makes her protected.

@Belafu bro is cooking. actually very believable theory theory tht makes alot of sense.
Mar 4, 12:11 PM

Jul 2020
Reply to Belafu

@Belafu wow thanks so much for the aclarations! Maybe Riko is a dead soul that instead of going back to the abyss, through the relic as a vessel, inserted itself to riko’s body?? But that soul isn’t from riko, maybe it’s from another person that used that relic before to insert their soul?? Idk….So the daughter of riko’s mother died there at least “in soul”. I don’t remember that sequence tho.

And NANACHI??? like please so random… either way her conflict was kinda being elongated and its wasn’t giving any dramatical growth, they were lbeinf just there so I don’t know, but i love nanachi hope something miraculous to happen
ObakezokuMar 10, 7:31 AM
Mar 10, 7:13 AM

Jul 2021
Wow, the seventh layer appears incredibly intense right from the start. It delves deep into lore, exploring the intricacies of souls, the 2000-year gap, and the intriguing concept of time passing slowly within the abyss—a kind of boon for those deemed "defective" who opt to dive in rather than succumb to being consumed by the abyss on the surface and adding to its layers.

Also, NANACHI BACK TO SUFFERING?!?!!?!
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Mar 31, 4:52 AM
Dec 2019
Still not tired of Faputa being an idiot meme lolcat worm in every other panel.
Apr 2, 7:35 AM

Feb 2017
It was awesome to get some answers to the bigger picture! I had no idea where the birthday death plot line could be going but now it's starting to make sense.
Apr 7, 10:15 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The souls, interesting point!!!
kekeke
Apr 13, 3:58 PM
Apr 2023
oh no... nanachi..

This chapter was great. Felt a little short, nevertheless it was fantastic. We got some more massive information regarding the abyss, only to add to the mystery even more. The concept of "souls" sounds pretty interesting and also a bit confusing.

The artwork was by far what shone for me this chapter, absolutely beautiful as always, and we got to see some more shots of the 7th layer, it wont be long before the team finally explores it!

I can't wait to see more of Ozen and the surface too... That was very mysterious last time

More topics from this board

» Best new gen series

XiongYifan - Feb 29

10 by Riot »»
Apr 18, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 40 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Jul 7, 2017

12 by owennordness41 »»
Feb 26, 5:02 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 66 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Jul 30, 2023

10 by WeLoveIs »»
Feb 21, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 51 Discussion

Satou0Kun - Mar 31, 2019

26 by Luma2 »»
Feb 19, 6:54 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 61 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Oct 19, 2021

28 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Jan 31, 3:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.