Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 27, 2:06 PM
Oct 2022
So this is confusing me as much as the Fate franchise, but I want to get into this series soon and do it correctly. What's the order of this damn thing? Is it this?

(https://imgur.com/nfiEEn3)

I've seen the image above frequently used for watch order, so is it still correct nearly 4 years later? Is it missing anything?
Jan 27, 2:13 PM

Jan 2017
GoCrayzee said:
I've seen the image above frequently used for watch order, so is it still correct nearly 4 years later?

Yeah. That's the order of how the Author released his stories, and expected his readers to follow them.

GoCrayzee said:
Is it missing anything?

The recently announced Off & Monster Season, which will be placed in 13th.

GoCrayzee said:
as much as the Fate franchise

It's not as complicate as people make it to be.

Fate Route (Story 1) > Unlimited Blade Works Route (Story 2) > Heaven's Feel Route (Story 3) > Fate/Zero (Story of the father).
The 3 Routes (stories) are basically reboots. They starts the same, have the same characters, but each one focus on different developments for a certain set of character.

After that, there is the numerous Spin-Offs. If you want a complete list :

"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Jan 27, 2:27 PM
Nov 2021
GoCrayzee said:
So this is confusing me as much as the Fate franchise, but I want to get into this series soon and do it correctly. What's the order of this damn thing? Is it this?

I've seen the image above frequently used for watch order, so is it still correct nearly 4 years later? Is it missing anything?

iirc this is the way that I watched it. you could probably watch it chronologically, but for me personally, getting to know the characters in Bakemonogatari makes their backstory more rewarding in Kizumonogatari.
Jan 27, 3:01 PM
Oct 2022
Reply to Alexioos95
GoCrayzee said:
I've seen the image above frequently used for watch order, so is it still correct nearly 4 years later?

Yeah. That's the order of how the Author released his stories, and expected his readers to follow them.

GoCrayzee said:
Is it missing anything?

GoCrayzee said:

Fate Route (Story 1) > Unlimited Blade Works Route (Story 2) > Heaven's Feel Route (Story 3) > Fate/Zero (Story of the father).
The 3 Routes (stories) are basically reboots. They starts the same, have the same characters, but each one focus on different developments for a certain set of character.

@Alexioos95 Thanks man, good to know it's not so complicated.
Jan 27, 3:20 PM
Nov 2022
icdavis882 said:
GoCrayzee said:

iirc this is the way that I watched it. you could probably watch it chronologically, but for me personally, getting to know the characters in Bakemonogatari makes their backstory more rewarding in Kizumonogatari.

Mind you, chronological order should never be your first watch because it makes no sense narratively past the first season, also the numerous koyomimonogatari entries means that you'd have to watch a half-episode of koyomi in between arcs basically

In general, LN release order is the way to go since you're not keeping up with the monogatari series since 2009, there's not much reason to watch it anime release order with all the delays to the kizumonogatari films, hanamonogatari, weird yet novel release of koyomimonogatari, etc.
Jan 27, 3:26 PM

Apr 2021
the order is quite simple tbh, its just ppl overcomplicating themselves, its as easy as watching the light novel release order, which is the order the author intended.
Jan 27, 3:34 PM

Jul 2021
luisfunes99 said:
the order is quite simple tbh, its just ppl overcomplicating themselves, its as easy as watching the light novel release order, which is the order the author intended.

You see this shit everytime when people try to make a chronological watch order
Jan 27, 3:41 PM
Aug 2021
Alexioos95 said:
GoCrayzee said:

GoCrayzee said:
Is it missing anything?

GoCrayzee said:

That is even worse than I imagined lol. I wish they would have refrained from making all those alt-uni and alt-timeline stuff just to cash in on their characters' popularity.

If I got this right, a chronological order of the main continuity would be:

ZERO
Stay Night
UBW
Heaven's Feel

???

Is Ill-Mullioli or whatever it's called within that same continuity? What about FAKE?

I've only watched ZERO and FAKE and liked both.
Jan 27, 4:37 PM

May 2020
Here is the correct watch order
this is the release wise watch order so you'll be watching the anime seasons in the order they were released and meant to be watched
the other watch order is the chronological one
but that order is better for a re-watch
so I'd just recommend the release wise watch order

Jan 27, 4:48 PM
Mar 2020
I always recommend airing order as it isn’t super complex to just follow dates. Also eventually all the pieces are going to click sooner or later so the order shouldn’t be that bug of a deal.
Jan 27, 7:08 PM
Mar 2013
save yourself from trouble and just follow the release order. it’s intended to be consumed that way.
Jan 27, 7:10 PM

Mar 2023
whats wrong with chronological order bruh 😭
Jan 27, 11:17 PM

Jan 2017
Animaticide said:

ZERO
Stay Night
UBW
Heaven's Feel

Is Ill-Mullioli or whatever it's called within that same continuity? What about FAKE?

It depends on what you mean by continuity. Per definition, the 3 Routes are not part of the same continuity, as they are alternative universes of each other too. Even if Fate/Zero is a flashback, and the past of the 3 Routes, it ends up directly contradicting what's said in them, so it's also an alternative universe.

By Ill-Mullioli, you are probably referring to Lord El Melloi II. It's a story happening between Zero and the 3 Routes, but it's also a different universe. In it, Zero happened, but the result of the 5th Holy Grail War is kinda a mix of the 3 Routes.

As for Strange Fake, it's a Spin-Off. It happens in a different world, which completely contradicts the rules of the Nasuverse (multi-verse made by the Author). In it, Zero and Tsukihime (another work by the Author of Fate) happened, but it's not clear which Routes of Stay Night did. It could be the Fate Route, the UBW Route, or a mix of both.

The watch-order of the franchise is not too complicated, but if you start to dig the lore and the continuities, it can very quickly become a headache... I'd say you don't want to try to understand it before being a massive fan, and reading the original Novels.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Jan 27, 11:26 PM

Jan 2017
Homura24 said:
this is the release wise watch order so you'll be watching the anime seasons in the order they were released and meant to be watched

That's false.

The studio had massive production problems for Kizu, so there was a lot of years of delays.
Hana and Koyomi were also delayed multiple months too, which is why there is recaps episodes in 2nd Season.

1crusty said:
whats wrong with chronological order bruh 😭

Edit : I just realized you actually follow the release order, so you'll probably agree with me. I thought you were trying to defend chronological orders.

You ruin the intentions of the Author.

Playing with the order of the events is a very easy way to create mystery, suspense, add potentials twists, shock values and powerful development for your characters. Pretty much all stories with a minimum of complexity does that, most of the time with a small flashback placed at the good places.

For example, from your favorite, Sousou no Frieren. Do you think the story would be this emotional and epic if you got all the past of Frieren with Flamme right in Episode 01 ? It would have heavily lowered the emotional aspect of what happened in the actual Episode 01, and the huge epic waves of the event of Aura in Episode 10. We could go further, and makes the story start with the past of Kraft, and pretty much change the story of the work too.
Alexioos95Jan 27, 11:31 PM
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Jan 28, 12:11 AM
Aug 2021
Alexioos95 said:
Animaticide said:

ZERO
Stay Night
UBW
Heaven's Feel

It depends on what you mean by continuity. Per definition, the 3 Routes are not part of the same continuity, as they are alternative universes of each other too. Even if Fate/Zero is a flashback, and the past of the 3 Routes, it ends up directly contradicting what's said in them, so it's also an alternative universe.

By Ill-Mullioli, you are probably referring to Lord El Melloi II. It's a story happening between Zero and the 3 Routes, but it's also a different universe. In it, Zero happened, but the result of the 5th Holy Grail War is kinda a mix of the 3 Routes.

As for Strange Fake, it's a Spin-Off. It happens in a different world, which completely contradicts the rules of the Nasuverse (multi-verse made by the Author). In it, Zero and Tsukihime (another work by the Author of Fate) happened, but it's not clear which Routes of Stay Night did. It could be the Fate Route, the UBW Route, or a mix of both.

The watch-order of the franchise is not too complicated, but if you start to dig the lore and the continuities, it can very quickly become a headache... I'd say you don't want to try to understand it before being a massive fan, and reading the original Novels.

Noted. Thanks for the explanation. I don't think I have it in me to dig in into such a vast multiverse so I'll partially follow your advice and just watch the parts that catch my interest without trying to make sense from where they might fit.
Jan 28, 8:13 AM
Nov 2021
kizu
bake
nise
ss2
tsuki
owari p1
koyo
owari p2
zoku
hana
off & mons

i shortened the monogatari but u get the gist, might have missed sth but its pretty much the chronological order
Jan 28, 10:42 AM
Jun 2014
Release order is always the correct order
Jan 28, 5:47 PM
Aug 2021
Here are my watch orders for a few different series, including the monogatari series.

Monogatari series:

-Bakemonogatari
-Nekomokogatari kuro
-Kizumonogatari
-Nisemonogatari
-Monogatari second season
-Tsukimonogatari
-Owarimonogatari
-Owarimonogatari second season
-Koyominmonogatari-ep 11-12 for story continuation
-Hanamonogatari
-Zokumonogatari
That is the release date order. Chronological order would just be starting with

Kizumonogatari --> nekomonogatari kuro --> bakemonogatari --> and everything else the same. This is still not the true chronological order bc if you wanted the true order, you would be flipping through certain episodes in different seasons too often, I would just watch it in this order and connect the pieces.

Fate Series:

-Fate/Zero
-Fate/stay night unlimited blade works
-Fate/stay night heavens feels

Side Note, you don't really need to watch the 2006 Deen animation one if you don't want to. but if you do, you will learn alittle more about Saber.

Steins Gate Series:

Steins gate 0 to episode 22
-Steins gate ep 23b
-Steins gate 0
-Steins gate ep 23-25

A certain magical series:

A certain magical index (l) (Season 1)
A certain scientific railgun
-A certain magical index (ll) (Season 2)
-A certain scientific railgun S
-Index movie
-A certain magical index (lll) (Season 3)
-A certain scientific accelerator
-A certain scientific railgun T
Jan 28, 6:09 PM

Oct 2021
WATCH IT IN LIGHT NOVEL RELEASE ORDER

ANYONE WHO RECOMMENDS THE CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER OR THE ANIME RELEASE ORDER IS WRONG!

(unless this isn't your first time watching)
BadonkersJan 31, 12:51 AM
Jan 28, 11:53 PM
Apr 2023
GoCrayzee said:

if you're watching on aniwatch then it already has the perfect watch order
Jan 28, 11:54 PM
Apr 2023
Alexioos95 said:
GoCrayzee said:

GoCrayzee said:
Is it missing anything?

GoCrayzee said:

I've only watched fate zero. can i watch fate grand order now? just for the insane animation quality
Jan 29, 12:17 AM

Jan 2017
SIimyBread said:
I've only watched fate zero. can i watch fate grand order now?

Grand Order gather together near all characters from all the other Spin-Offs, so it's better to watch it in very last. (It's kinda like The Avenger of Marvel.)
The Anime also adapted only a few bits here and there of the overall story, so it's not even recommended if you didn't played the Game. (The Animes adaptations were literally made to thanks the fans of the Game who played it for years, by adapting their favorites Arcs.)

If you really want to, it should be fine tho, you'll mostly just miss fan-service references to characters, especially in the Prologue Movie.

SIimyBread said:
just for the insane animation quality

The Babylonia TV Series really does have a very good and consistent Animation. There is just a few parts of weird CGI used for one or two characters.
The rest, however, is not nearly as good.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Jan 29, 7:46 AM
Dec 2020
GoCrayzee said:

Man, The author of Monogatari said the correct order. You can look in my profile, I have put It in there.
Jan 30, 3:39 PM
Mar 2021
release order is the best order
Mar 2, 2:35 PM
Jul 2023
Nsbsvtqgsoxojdgd
Apr 13, 8:40 PM
Oct 2019
GoCrayzee said:
hi there . if u have watched the series already by now CAN U CONFIRM YOUR WATCH ORDER FROM THE IMAGE WAS BEST? and also i have an image here with a slight difference in S2&S3, like hana should be watched mid S2 & owari 1-2 together unlike in my image . WHY?? Note : I haven't started the series yet https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/bakemonogatari1645/images/1/11/Monogatari_Series_Chronology_2019_version_%28Anime_Only%29.png/revision/latest?cb=20190715121855
Apr 23, 5:48 AM
Jun 2021
Reply to Badonkers
WATCH IT IN LIGHT NOVEL RELEASE ORDER

ANYONE WHO RECOMMENDS THE CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER OR THE ANIME RELEASE ORDER IS WRONG!

(unless this isn't your first time watching)
@Badonkers this order is absolute perfect. Monogatari series is my favourite anime of all time, and definitely to enjoy it the most, this order is perfect.
Apr 30, 6:55 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to HeshamJohnny
GoCrayzee said:
hi there . if u have watched the series already by now CAN U CONFIRM YOUR WATCH ORDER FROM THE IMAGE WAS BEST? and also i have an image here with a slight difference in S2&S3, like hana should be watched mid S2 & owari 1-2 together unlike in my image . WHY?? Note : I haven't started the series yet https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/bakemonogatari1645/images/1/11/Monogatari_Series_Chronology_2019_version_%28Anime_Only%29.png/revision/latest?cb=20190715121855
@HeshamJohnny The order from his image was the best yes, it's LN release order. Same as what Badonkers suggested.

And Hana is correctly placed mid season 2. The studio doing the adaption skipped it and adapted it after, but the author intended it for mid season.
Apr 30, 6:58 AM

May 2021
The MAL order is already pretty good. But I would recommend watching Kizu trilogy before Bakemonogatari. I did this on my rewatch and everything felt more enjoyable and made sense.
May 5, 12:14 PM
Dec 2018
watch in any order, it's not like any of us have been able to comprehend this series...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 25, 2009

688 by JigglypuffSenpai »»
May 11, 4:04 PM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 3, 2009

511 by Dragona_8002 »»
Apr 28, 11:14 AM

» Renai Circulation ost

DexterDrubo - Apr 19

6 by ichinose06 »»
Apr 27, 1:50 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

loghneckbeard - Jun 25, 2010

518 by wimpis »»
Apr 21, 6:15 AM

Poll: » Bakemonogatari Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 17, 2009

357 by kagamiiin »»
Apr 19, 7:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.