Forum Settings
Forums

Are there any characters in the top 100 favourited on MAL that you just don't understand why people like them so much?

New
Jan 2, 11:43 AM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
I was skimming through the top 100 characters listed on MAL by the amount of favourites they have and some of them are real head-scratchers.
Are there any among the top 100 listed that just boggles your mind and just do not understand why they are liked so much?

For me, the main standouts are Ayanokoji from Classroom of the Elite and Ichigo from Darling in the FranXX.
Just why?
Ayanokoji is such a boring and typical character and really does little in the series only making some kind of impact if a big-brain play needs executing.
As for Ichigo, I had no idea she had such a die-hard fanbase especially after the whole controversary with her character that resulted in death threats to the voice actor.

"๐šƒ๐š’๐š–๐šŽ ๐š๐š˜ ๐š–๐š’๐šก ๐š๐š›๐š’๐š—๐š”๐šœ ๐šŠ๐š—๐š ๐šŒ๐š‘๐šŠ๐š—๐š๐šŽ ๐š•๐š’๐šŸ๐šŽ๐šœ."
โ˜† ๐™ฐ๐š—๐š’๐š–๐šŽ ๐™ป๐š’๐šœ๐š โ˜†
โ˜† ๐š…๐™ฝ๐™ณ๐š‹ โ˜†
โ˜† ๐™ฑ๐šŠ๐šŒ๐š”๐š•๐š˜๐š๐š๐šŽ๐š›๐šข โ˜†
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 2, 11:44 AM

Feb 2020
Yeah, Emilia and Rem for example. :/
Jan 2, 12:03 PM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
Reply to Serafos
@Serafos any reason for that? Did u not enjoy the series? Or are u just tired of the waifu wars the two have caused?

"๐šƒ๐š’๐š–๐šŽ ๐š๐š˜ ๐š–๐š’๐šก ๐š๐š›๐š’๐š—๐š”๐šœ ๐šŠ๐š—๐š ๐šŒ๐š‘๐šŠ๐š—๐š๐šŽ ๐š•๐š’๐šŸ๐šŽ๐šœ."
โ˜† ๐š…๐™ฝ๐™ณ๐š‹ โ˜†
Jan 2, 12:04 PM

Oct 2018
Lelouch
Levi
Luffy
L
Zoro
Light
Naruto
Eren
Itachi
Gojou
Mikasa
Kaneki
Emilia
Rem
Kakashi
Megumin
Kirito
Yato
Mai
Zero Two
Ayanokoiji
Ichigo
Saber
Taiga
Sanji
Asuna
Yuno
Sasuske
Alucard
Ichigo
C.C
Todoroki
Midoriya
Tanjirou
Orihahara
Oreki
Bakugou
Natsu
Saiki
Rimuru
Miku
Nico Robin
Armin
Koro-sensei
Rias
Hange
Rikka
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jan 2, 12:05 PM

May 2021
a few standouts, for me it’s mostly Ayanokoji as well he’s a bit of edgelord bait I suppose but very much an underwhelming character

also Mai from Bunny Girl Senpai who felt like a very basic character, to me at least, in an already lacklustre show
Jan 2, 12:06 PM

Feb 2020
Reply to OmegaOtaku
@Serafos any reason for that? Did u not enjoy the series? Or are u just tired of the waifu wars the two have caused?
@OmegaOtaku I didn't enjoy the show and I just think they are both kinda overrated waifus anyway.
Jan 2, 12:12 PM
Dec 2023
I don't understand why a lot of people love Levi from Attack on Titan, especially girls ๐Ÿค”
Hi
Jan 2, 12:13 PM
I love femboys.

Sep 2022
Reply to Phosphophyllita
Lelouch
Levi
Luffy
L
Zoro
Light
Naruto
Eren
Itachi
Gojou
Mikasa
Kaneki
Emilia
Rem
Kakashi
Megumin
Kirito
Yato
Mai
Zero Two
Ayanokoiji
Ichigo
Saber
Taiga
Sanji
Asuna
Yuno
Sasuske
Alucard
Ichigo
C.C
Todoroki
Midoriya
Tanjirou
Orihahara
Oreki
Bakugou
Natsu
Saiki
Rimuru
Miku
Nico Robin
Armin
Koro-sensei
Rias
Hange
Rikka
@Phosphophyllita You just hate Shonen characters lol

Killua is more overrated than all of those combined.
๐™Š๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™‹๐™ž๐™š๐™˜๐™š ๐™ฅ๐™–๐™˜๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ž๐™จ ๐™ฅ๐™š๐™ง๐™›๐™š๐™˜๐™ฉ๐™ก๐™ฎ ๐™›๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™š. - ๐™•๐™–๐™˜๐™
Jan 2, 12:14 PM
Jul 2018
I don't think it's a new topic but regardless of it's dated status, the simplest way to understand something is to acknowledge, but what? First, is that most fans are teens, yet to be mature so, no surprise why a character like Lelouch tops and why a poker face like Ayanokoji is there, even Guts/Gatsu is their, regardless of how acclaimed and influential the manga is, the fanbase is not very different from the fans of Lelouch and Ayanokoji, both are suffering from the same disease called "superiority complex", now back to the dated question, I'm sure the standouts for both of us are manys beloved and too have so many fans, one thing is clear that they are appealing, not to you but to others and on a huge scale.
Jan 2, 12:29 PM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
Reply to removed-user
I don't think it's a new topic but regardless of it's dated status, the simplest way to understand something is to acknowledge, but what? First, is that most fans are teens, yet to be mature so, no surprise why a character like Lelouch tops and why a poker face like Ayanokoji is there, even Guts/Gatsu is their, regardless of how acclaimed and influential the manga is, the fanbase is not very different from the fans of Lelouch and Ayanokoji, both are suffering from the same disease called "superiority complex", now back to the dated question, I'm sure the standouts for both of us are manys beloved and too have so many fans, one thing is clear that they are appealing, not to you but to others and on a huge scale.
@Annalise_2501 I get what you mean, but I think you've missed something important here. I asked if there were any characters of the list that you cannot understand why people like them so much. I'm certainly not saying that these characters don't have any right to be as popular as they are, but when you look at some of them and characters that are not as popular (at least on MAL) and just want to know why this character is more popular than this other one.

โ˜† ๐š…๐™ฝ๐™ณ๐š‹ โ˜†
Jan 2, 12:41 PM

Feb 2020
Mai Sakurajima, and also all the Kaguya-sama characters that are in there.
Jan 2, 12:44 PM
Jul 2018
OmegaOtaku said:
@Annalise_2501 I get what you mean, but I think you've missed something important here. I asked if there were any characters of the list that you cannot understand why people like them so much. I'm certainly not saying that these characters don't have any right to be as popular as they are, but when you look at some of them and characters that are not as popular (at least on MAL) and just want to know why this character is more popular than this other one.

I too get it what you mean, I'm not against the question but the question reflects that the questioner doesn't seems to know why things are the way they are, I know your not generalizing your takes but you can't expect many people (I pointed out their age group already) to take it in a healthy way and discuss it, it back fires for the same reason why Ayanokoji and Ichigo are toppers, the minds of their fans are yet to be developed, I gave my personal take on the topic already but I also wanted to tell you why the topic is not suited for a discussion.
Jan 2, 1:02 PM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
Reply to removed-user
OmegaOtaku said:

I too get it what you mean, I'm not against the question but the question reflects that the questioner doesn't seems to know why things are the way they are, I know your not generalizing your takes but you can't expect many people (I pointed out their age group already) to take it in a healthy way and discuss it, it back fires for the same reason why Ayanokoji and Ichigo are toppers, the minds of their fans are yet to be developed, I gave my personal take on the topic already but I also wanted to tell you why the topic is not suited for a discussion.
@Annalise_2501 I disagree that it's a topic not suited for discussion. People have opinions. People like expressing opinions, be it positive/negative popular/un-popular. A forum is for people who like and want to express those opinions so I provided a legitimate topic to gauge other people's opinions.
I do agree that the influence of a teenage audience is certainly reflected with a lot of characters in top 100 listed on MAL coming from shounen shows that fit the demographic (Naruto, One Piece, Attack on Titan, My Hero Academia etc.) But the argument starts falling apart when looking at certain characters that are clear outliers and don't fit the demographic or come from series that you'd think wouldn't be on so many people's radar. Hence why I was surprised to see Ayanokoji amongst the top half of the 100; nothing about him or the show itself really lends itself to be so popular in the first place. You certainly can't tell me the same teenage users that like most of the Naruto characters are also going to sit down and watch Classroom of the Elite and enjoy it (and it's characters) on the same level as a typical shounen anime.

โ˜† ๐š…๐™ฝ๐™ณ๐š‹ โ˜†
Jan 2, 1:08 PM

Aug 2020
Levi. Why? Because he looks shady, coldblooded and gangsta-ish? Never understood this craze .

Jan 2, 1:23 PM

Dec 2017
Yeah all of the 10. Like where tf are all the waifus? Move them higher!! This community is really strange sometimes.
โKabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.โž
I was immensely devastated.
Jan 2, 1:40 PM

Apr 2021
Yes Dazai San because he is my husband, like why are you guys obsessed when he’s already taken. But I was really surprised to see Usui in top 100.
Jan 2, 1:52 PM

Aug 2019
If I didn't know what anime fans can be like, then I wouldn't be able to understand why some characters are up there, but I do... Although there are characters on that list that I would never ever have on my personal list of favorites.
Jan 2, 3:26 PM

Dec 2015
Lemme check and here's the characters, for which I don't know why, because: I didn't watch the show, I didn't like the character, I don't find the character likeable, I didn't excpet the character to be in top 100 [or any other possible reason which I forgot already]:

Luffy, Edward, Naruto, Mikasa, Sanji, Makima, Itsuki, Deku, Law, Armin, Shinji, Takumi.
Jan 2, 5:20 PM

Apr 2022
02 and Marin

02 I at least sort of get, conceptually she's a very interesting character, I think the problem was more with the show being fucking garbage and being unable to execute on its ideas well.

Marin is just a trash character who I swear only gets by on the basis of her design and nothing more. There is NO universe in which I see her as being even an average character, let alone the 75th best anime character of all time.

Fuck that.
Jan 2, 5:33 PM

Sep 2022
I usually don't hate popular characters, but I was never able to understand the hype behind Zero Two from Darling in The FranXX and Marin Kitagawa from My Dress Up Darling.
Jan 2, 7:14 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to removed-user
@Annalise_2501 You really grouping all the fans of lelouch as suffering from superiority complex? Ok bro won't lie, that's a narrow minded thing to say. I liked lelouch's character. I liked watching the story of an intelligent characters who has his flaws. Seeing the plays he makes. It was fun to watch. I don't see how I suddenly get a superiority complex. It's not that deep. You really said alat. Ayanokoji on the other hand, yeah. I do see people making videos on how to be like him. Or just people trying acting like him in generl on social media. Some are trolls and some are kids.

Migi... Handle the defence.
Jan 2, 7:24 PM

Apr 2015
Quite literally all of them to be honest. Especially the shounen edgelord characters up there like Levi.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Jan 2, 8:04 PM

Jan 2020
Emilia and Kurisu. Kurisu is a nice character, but far away to be one of the best female characters of all time like some otakus say. And Emilia is just boring.
IgorPsc91Jan 3, 10:03 AM

Jan 2, 8:39 PM

Feb 2016
I don't understand how Rei became popular, as she doesn't have a personality in the original series.
It seems the protagonists of every popular anime have a lot of favorites, regardless of their personalities. Users who have seen only 5-10 anime just add 1-2 characters from each.
Megumin is not funny.
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Jan 2, 8:47 PM

Mar 2022
Megumin from konosuba I mean like what did she do to get 40k favorites. I dont remember her doing anything crazy enough for that.
Jan 2, 9:39 PM

Aug 2021
Reply to Chuckiemuffin
Megumin from konosuba I mean like what did she do to get 40k favorites. I dont remember her doing anything crazy enough for that.
@Chuckiemuffin Cuz, she is a character designed for waifu appeal and Konosuba is very popular isekai, I hope this helps
Jan 3, 2:07 AM

Sep 2016
Kirito and Asuna from SAO, they are just ordinary role model characters.

If almost within top 100 is legit then also Zenitsu from Demon Slayer, the utmost annoying character I have ever seen.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jan 3, 2:25 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to OmegaOtaku
@OmegaOtaku They are both very popular characters, but I have a strong suspicion that Emilia's recent surge in popularity was the result of some kind of flash mob. The franchise hasn't had any logical boost lately for any character to suddenly jump 50+ spots into the top favorites.
Jan 3, 7:41 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to OmegaOtaku
@Annalise_2501 I disagree that it's a topic not suited for discussion. People have opinions. People like expressing opinions, be it positive/negative popular/un-popular. A forum is for people who like and want to express those opinions so I provided a legitimate topic to gauge other people's opinions.
I do agree that the influence of a teenage audience is certainly reflected with a lot of characters in top 100 listed on MAL coming from shounen shows that fit the demographic (Naruto, One Piece, Attack on Titan, My Hero Academia etc.) But the argument starts falling apart when looking at certain characters that are clear outliers and don't fit the demographic or come from series that you'd think wouldn't be on so many people's radar. Hence why I was surprised to see Ayanokoji amongst the top half of the 100; nothing about him or the show itself really lends itself to be so popular in the first place. You certainly can't tell me the same teenage users that like most of the Naruto characters are also going to sit down and watch Classroom of the Elite and enjoy it (and it's characters) on the same level as a typical shounen anime.
@OmegaOtaku You sure are free to express your thoughts and everything is going according to MAL forum guidelines so far, however the guidelines also don't recommend questioning the status quo as it's simply illogical to question the algorithm based standings, what you think is a mystery, got a name for itself and it's called "recency bias", your perception of shounen is still ruling, as always remains legit due to the fact that it targets the vast majority by aiming at a younger age group, however the demograph is quite a tricky subject, for example Tokyo Ghoul was published in a seinen magazine but when you look at it from targeting audience perspective it's pretty teen oriented, the thing is that a good number of magazines regardless of whether they fall in shounen and seinen demograph, aims at what makes up for most of the consumer base, teenagers, it's not surprising to see Ayanokoji being a topper since it comes from a edgy background, you mentioned Naruto for a contrast but it's highly acclaimed status is due to it's great performance when it was ongoing, I'm not saying that it's not popular anymore but it's not fresh, COTE is fresh and is still ongoing, it's also more convenient to chew on something that's both fresh, short and edgy rather than something long with a legacy, also a good amount of Naruto fans are not teenagers anymore, just like DB has a big old loyal fanbase making up for the majority of fans, same goes for Naruto too, COTE has a fanbase that mostly includes teens and of this gen so, no wonder why it's so popular.
Jan 3, 7:41 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to Notoshin
@Annalise_2501 You really grouping all the fans of lelouch as suffering from superiority complex? Ok bro won't lie, that's a narrow minded thing to say. I liked lelouch's character. I liked watching the story of an intelligent characters who has his flaws. Seeing the plays he makes. It was fun to watch. I don't see how I suddenly get a superiority complex. It's not that deep. You really said alat. Ayanokoji on the other hand, yeah. I do see people making videos on how to be like him. Or just people trying acting like him in generl on social media. Some are trolls and some are kids.
@Notoshin Well, you are right because I wrote it in a way that it sounds like a generalizing take, so, yes I admit that I was clearly narrow minded here because I didn't saw any gentleman here who enjoy such things and isn't stupid enough to base their personality on it, sure you can be a "Lelouch Lamperouge" fan and still be unaffected by the superiority complex disease, however it's not unusual for a character as such as Lelouch to activate a coping mechanism that begins with imagining themselves as Lelouch vi Britannia, putting the avatar on and acting all mighty, it's not fault of the character but you know that thing, "what your favorite character says about you", so, yes I have a perception of them due to my own experience and observation that fans of such characters, not all but a good chunk of them are, "edgy," thanks for making me accountable for my stupid rant.
Jan 3, 8:00 AM

Dec 2018
gojou-kakashi ripoff and boring af, megumin_top 10 most unfunny characters ever, todoroki-obvious reasons
If you rated Jujutsu Kaisen a 10/10, then your opinion is not valid.

AOT>FMAB
Jan 3, 8:03 AM
Jan 2021
Reply to Serafos
@Serafos

Agreed. I looked at the top 50 and, with the exception of these two, the characters I knew were not standard (some I liked, some I did not). Strange, I find both Emilia and Rem to be rather standard characters, neither very good nor very bad.
William Hughes

Complex systems exhibit unexpected behaviour
Jan 3, 8:51 AM

Mar 2012
Levi - I still don't understand what makes him so popular, he didn't really stand out as a character to me
Hange - She feels like a psychopath, I just don't see the appeal
Taiga - she's nothing more than an abusive bitch
Bakugo - I dropped the series very early but based on the beginning and everything I hear about him he seems like a complete asshole
Fujiwara Chika - I just don't see the appeal, she feels like an average side character
Jan 3, 9:01 AM

Mar 2019
I never understood all this appeal that Lelouch has, as if there weren't 10,000 other super intelligent characters like him scattered around...
Jan 3, 9:52 AM

Oct 2022
Shinobu, I saw a clip from the anime she's from and every time I'm reminded of the scene it almost makes me want to side with the pro-censorship twitter activists.
When a pancake lover does something: "Outrageous vicious crime"

When a waffle lover does something: "That means it is not illegal"

Quotes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_HIM667Do&t=2822s
Jan 3, 9:56 AM

Jan 2009
levi is so high there i do not understand it guess its the jerk appeal for you
Jan 3, 10:08 AM

Jul 2017
I’m unfamiliar with about half of those characters in the top 100, but here are a few characters that I don't agree and/or don't understand being ranked so high in the top 100:

Kamina from TTGL (currently ranked 39) - Kamina consistently being ranked so high has always surprised me, since he had so little screen time.

Megumin from Konosuba (currently ranked 26) - I feel pretty neutral about her overall. I don’t dislike her, but I also wouldn’t say that I’m a fan either. From what I’ve seen so far though, nothing really stands out to me about her other than her overall character design. She is chill though, which I like, but her style of humor isn’t really my type of humor personally.

Katsuki Bakugou from BNHA (currently ranked 74) - I can kind of understand why he's so popular, but I just don't agree with the reasons personally. Most of his fans are girls who are really into the whole “angry, loud, dominant, abusive, bad boy types” but he’s just not a character that I see myself liking. He seems like an all-around insufferable A-hole to me. I’ve only seen season 1 of MHA, so I don’t know how much he changes in the manga, but from what I’ve seen, his violence and behavior doesn’t seem justified. He too often gets too mad for no reason. I don't have anything against those who like the character though. To each their own at the end of the day.
Jan 3, 10:10 AM

Feb 2017
I assume for Ichigo there's a lot of people who just stopped updating their mal accounts a bit after that series ended. I can't imagine that there's that many people who still consider her one of their favorites lol, she's very forgettable seasonal waifu fodder. And I feel like I never see her in people's lists
Jan 3, 10:12 AM

Feb 2017
Reply to Maou_heika
Levi - I still don't understand what makes him so popular, he didn't really stand out as a character to me
Bakugo - I dropped the series very early but based on the beginning and everything I hear about him he seems like a complete asshole
Fujiwara Chika - I just don't see the appeal, she feels like an average side character
@Maou_heika characters don't have to be good people for people to like them ๐Ÿคท‍โ™‚๏ธ
Jan 3, 10:58 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Sanjay63773
@Chuckiemuffin Cuz, she is a character designed for waifu appeal and Konosuba is very popular isekai, I hope this helps
@Sanjay63773
That does not help. Konosuba has at least 3 waifus last I checked.
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Jan 3, 10:59 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Maou_heika
Maou_heika said:

It's because the main characters are so much worse that she looks great in comparison.
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Jan 3, 11:15 AM
Oct 2019
I wonder why more people like Kirito than Onizuka, I mean Kirito is just a skinny guy who is good at video games AND Onizuka is a teacher who used to be a gangster and can teach you a lot of things about how to really live.
Jan 3, 11:27 AM

Feb 2019
Levi - he's an ass.
Dazai - an arrogant suicidal maniac. And that's suppose to be funny? Lol. His face is veeery punchable.
Askeladd - idk mate. His actions are pretty cowardly imo. He made sure he's the only one to survive, couldn't care less about his crew. Too drunk of his own ego.

Jan 3, 11:36 AM

Dec 2020
Kirito
Yato
Ichigo (darling in the franxx)
Deku
Tanjiro
Bakugo
Rikka
Jan 3, 12:56 PM

Aug 2018
Emilia really doesnt belong anywhere near the top 100. Neither does Rem for that matter but at least she has some moments. Emilia is just bland.
Jan 4, 3:10 AM

Jul 2016
Don't think I've looked at the top 100 character lists before... Let's see...

Top 10 makes sense from a popularity standpoint, though all of them being male characters is a tad surprising where be the waifus?

Who tf is Osamu Dazai? One of only two characters I didn't recognize. Kiyotaka Ayanokouji being the second. The only other character I'm interested to see in the top 50 is Alucard. Weird to think he's that popular?
Jan 4, 3:27 AM

Mar 2012
Reply to JKKH
@Maou_heika characters don't have to be good people for people to like them ๐Ÿคท‍โ™‚๏ธ
@JKKH I have some villainous characters I like as well but these characters get what they deserved in the end. I still don't understand the appeal of characters who are supposed to be on the good side behaving like complete assholes and not only getting away with it but also being popular.
Jan 4, 3:54 AM
Mar 2022
I'm only gonna write characters from anime I've watched :
- Megumin (for me, she feels like the most uninterested character in Kazuma's party)
- Sakurajima Mai
- Oshino Shinobu (I prefer her as Kiss-Shot)
- Nakano Itsuki
- Makima
- Kamado Tanjiro (he's that popular only because the anime is THAT popular)
- Fujiwara Chika
- Mikasa Ackerman
Ahiru89Jan 6, 4:35 AM
Jan 4, 4:38 AM

Jan 2023
Elric Edward.
A dull character who is the same from the first chapter to the last.
-10 in development.

Of my Top10 there is only one character in the Top100.

I don't know several of the Top100 and others seem very weak to me. But popularity must weigh, as in the Anime Ranking.
Jan 4, 5:34 AM

Jun 2020
In school settings there is a sea of characters like Ichika from Infinite Stratos who are incredibly plain. Their motivation usually is a variation of 'i want to protect everyone'/'i fight for my friends'. Since Ayanokouji was shown to be a manipulative character instead, and the original season of his anime ended in one hell of a cliffhanger, he was hyped into oblivion as this mythical supreme unique protagonist.

Personally Asuna and Nakano Itsuki still being as high as they are confuses me, not because they're terrible characters but because they're really... normal. Itsuki in particular was really overshadowed by her sisters in the story, so i assume people created bots to shot her up in popularity and end the waifu wars between the fans of the other four.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What are some shows that are commonly credited to change someone's life?

APolygons2 - 19 minutes ago

7 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 3 )

Catalano - Apr 25

121 by Elitar »»
6 minutes ago

» Why do veteran weebs hate "casuals"?

Clovis - Yesterday

45 by FanofAction »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Your favourite romance

Jackson_rajkumar - 5 hours ago

30 by Thatboidriz »»
13 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze? ( 1 2 )

brainburger - Apr 21

51 by DarkShame2 »»
22 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.