Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Dec 8, 2023 11:07 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to JaniSIr
@deg The slippery slope is not inherently a fallacy.
@JaniSIr im still waiting for solutions for both of you as you 2 have not presented any besides saying you want moderate solutions
Dec 8, 2023 11:11 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to DreamWindow
deg said:
@DreamWindow you will never find any solutions or compromise if you keep thinking in slippery slope fallacy

A very mentally lazy response. Did you even read what I said? I can just as easily call to the appeal to authority fallacy on you. But that doesn't get us anywhere. I could argue that what I said is not even a fallacy, considering there is extensive record of government bureaus exceeding their intended purpose, but that's besides the point. At the end of the day, it's you who is pushing for radical change, and tearing the fabrics of society. The burden is on you to come up with solutions that don't compromise people's standard of living, and to actually sell that to the people who you are going to affect, but the only thing you provide is for it to be forced upon them, whether they like it or not, as if they are serfs. I've already given you examples on how carbon taxes have fucked over much of the working class in the prairies. And climate activists want to keep pushing those measures further and further. So why should anyone put up with such repeated acts of aggression on their livelihoods?
@DreamWindow appeal to the right authority is not a fallacy so appeal to climate scientists is right in this case of climate change

anyway like i said i only want carbon taxes for the rich but you keep doing slippery slope that it will affect even the poor same with every taxes for the rich i propose in the past you keep saying it will affect all tax payers

at least i know some solutions or compromise unlike you 2 that do not have any and wants the problem of global warming to solve itself naturally
Dec 9, 2023 4:17 AM

Oct 2009
@deg: We can argue until the cows come home about climate change policies but I would say these discussions are missing the 1000 Ib gorilla in the room; our growth based economies are not sustainable. GDP is a meaure of consumption and this consumption stems from us using various inputs and transforming them into usuable goods and services. This conversion of inputs uses energy and produces waste which we call pollution. As GDP rises the rate of consumption increases meaning, all things being equal, we a consume a greater number of inputs (resources), energy (fossil fuels) and waste (pollution).

Resource/energy depletion and climate change are two parts of the same coin. They both stem from consumption rates being too high. We can talk about reducing this but then the economy will ultimately fail. Our economies can only grow because our entire global financial system is based on money being generated by debt. In my eyes, we can either save the environment or we can "save" the economy. We can't do both, not as the economy is currently configured anyway. I put "save" in brackets because I don't think the economy can be saved in the long-run as some limiting factor (be it resource, energy or climate choas) will ultimately stifle economic growth at some point.
Dec 9, 2023 5:23 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to monsta666
@deg: We can argue until the cows come home about climate change policies but I would say these discussions are missing the 1000 Ib gorilla in the room; our growth based economies are not sustainable. GDP is a meaure of consumption and this consumption stems from us using various inputs and transforming them into usuable goods and services. This conversion of inputs uses energy and produces waste which we call pollution. As GDP rises the rate of consumption increases meaning, all things being equal, we a consume a greater number of inputs (resources), energy (fossil fuels) and waste (pollution).

Resource/energy depletion and climate change are two parts of the same coin. They both stem from consumption rates being too high. We can talk about reducing this but then the economy will ultimately fail. Our economies can only grow because our entire global financial system is based on money being generated by debt. In my eyes, we can either save the environment or we can "save" the economy. We can't do both, not as the economy is currently configured anyway. I put "save" in brackets because I don't think the economy can be saved in the long-run as some limiting factor (be it resource, energy or climate choas) will ultimately stifle economic growth at some point.
@monsta666 ye i totally agree thats why there is the degrowth movement which seems interesting at least
Dec 9, 2023 10:02 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to deg
@DreamWindow appeal to the right authority is not a fallacy so appeal to climate scientists is right in this case of climate change

anyway like i said i only want carbon taxes for the rich but you keep doing slippery slope that it will affect even the poor same with every taxes for the rich i propose in the past you keep saying it will affect all tax payers

at least i know some solutions or compromise unlike you 2 that do not have any and wants the problem of global warming to solve itself naturally
deg said:

Appeal to authority fallacy refers to the use of an expert’s opinion to back up an argument. Instead of justifying one’s claim, a person cites an authority figure who is not qualified to make reliable claims about the topic at hand. Because people tend to believe experts, appeal to authority often imbues an argument with credibility.

They are authorities in terms of scientific analysis, but they are not qualified when it comes to analyzing policies, and how they affect people. That is why I think their input should be considered alongside policy experts.

deg said:

I don't think you understand how these kinds of taxes work. When a producer has to pay more tax on a given product (i.e. the rich guys), it means that they produce less, which means that they hire less people to work, and obviously produce less output of that given product. In other words, the tax does not just affect the rich, it influences their entire business from the bottom up, rank in file. In the UK, there is also carbon taxes that impact the poor. Not everyone can afford a shiny new Tesla, taxing the vehicle that they already have doesn't give them incentive to go green, it punishes them for being poor.
This is not a slippery slope because it's already happened. It's now a matter of asking who should take the responsibility for that, and who should get recompensed for that.

deg said:

Simply "having a solution" is not a good in of itself, because solutions need to be determined on their merit. I've already illustrated my concerns with such sweeping "solutions".

My solution would have to adhere to some guidelines:
- No law can be implemented without due process, and accountability for those who it will affect.
- Any damages incurred must be recompensed fairly.
- Policy makers need to be open in exactly where lines need to be drawn, to not leave any uncertainty for future endeavours.

The problem is that the infrastructure doesn't lend itself to radical change. As I mentioned before, it is often the most practical option for poor and lower class people to have an old clunker of a vehicle, rather than a shiny new electric car. You claim that you only want to tax the rich, but when carbon taxes are already targeting the poor and working class, I don't think it's fair to say that that carbon taxes do that. Or at the very least, that there is an ulterior motive behind them.

Taxes are not the solution, since they are already targeting the poor, and they don't seem to have any reason not to do that. If the government is to do anything, it needs to incentive new forms of energy, rather than force them. Maybe some kind of bond, or voucher for specific kinds of energy sources that these places can apply for. This would keep the same level of economic output and quality of life, while gradually transitioning to a new model.
DreamWindowDec 9, 2023 10:11 AM

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Dec 9, 2023 11:35 AM

May 2016
DreamWindow said:
The problem is that the infrastructure doesn't lend itself to radical change. As I mentioned before, it is often the most practical option for poor and lower class people to have an old clunker of a vehicle, rather than a shiny new electric car. You claim that you only want to tax the rich, but when carbon taxes are already targeting the poor and working class, I don't think it's fair to say that that carbon taxes do that. Or at the very least, that there is an ulterior motive behind them.
Carbon taxes (and most climate change policies in some way) are often considered inherently regressive because working class or lower income families are typically more carbon reliant than they are neutral or positive. But nobody in policy really ever advocates for carbon taxes on their own this way. For instance, there are individual rebates rolled out as a counterbalance and quite a few people are typically ahead after tax computations. For those who aren't, the vast majority of people's taxes come out of housing and income, and if you put out a list of things that are fundamentally hurting poor people, a carbon tax would be near the bottom of the list. It's not a tax that's going to starve you out and if there's something that needs to change, it's higher wages for these people. A carbon tax isn't killing the poor. Capitalism is.

In addition, most of the talk around the carbon tax is with regard to corporate emissions and is designed to incentivize corporations to decarbonize. There's a lot of good evidence that this exists. These taxes are incredibly effective. A lot of corporate players in power generation, for instance, which is pretty carbon intensive, are much keener to decarbonize with a carbon tax than without. In addition, because you can invest in renewables and cut prices against your competitors if they continue to rely on the costly fossil fuels, the cost of such a tax isn't even passed onto consumers.

DreamWindow said:
Taxes are not the solution, since they are already targeting the poor, and they don't seem to have any reason not to do that. If the government is to do anything, it needs to incentive new forms of energy, rather than force them. Maybe some kind of bond, or voucher for specific kinds of energy sources that these places can apply for. This would keep the same level of economic output and quality of life, while gradually transitioning to a new model.
For starters, this already exists. Europe has EU Allowances, in the US, they're rolling out statewide allowances on carbon (some of the popular ones includes Washington Carbon and RGGI). There are massive incentives for offsetting your carbon emissions. These are relatively new concepts, but there's been other things that have been around for years like subsidies for renewable generation in solar, wind, geothermal depending on which country, municipality, etc.

The problem is government incentives on clean energy is a complete fucking spook. Anybody who works in commodities, specifically in the oil/gas/renewables complex knows this because it just creates markets for mostly profiteers than people who are actually invested in saving the environment. The allowances I mentioned earlier? People use them to make speculative bets. I'll agree on a cost-analysis perspective that I would much rather have a solar, wind, and geothemeral profiteer than an oil mogul, but the differences on an environmental level are currently negligible to me when a lot of renewable companies simply do basic work to ensure some semblance of carbon neutrality only to profit on a planet that is still degrading.

I also want to add that people thinking that we should enact "moderate" change because they think a radical change would harm poor people are operating under a primarily first world / privileged lens. Climate change is a global problem and we should understand our carbon footprint in a more cosmopolitan and global way. There are very few initiatives that we can take that would hurt more low-income and impoverished people more than what we're already doing, because the status quo hurts poor people the most. Anybody who looks at the pollution of nuclear and other waste we do off the shores of Africa or the intense oppression of global south citizens because corporate backed nation-states need access to their fossil fuels should immediately rid themselves of the notion that decarbonizing at a dramatic rate "hurts poor people the most." It doesn't. It's one of the first steps in a long restorative justice process.
YudinaDec 9, 2023 11:40 AM
Dec 9, 2023 12:50 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to Yudina
DreamWindow said:
Carbon taxes (and most climate change policies in some way) are often considered inherently regressive because working class or lower income families are typically more carbon reliant than they are neutral or positive. But nobody in policy really ever advocates for carbon taxes on their own this way. For instance, there are individual rebates rolled out as a counterbalance and quite a few people are typically ahead after tax computations. For those who aren't, the vast majority of people's taxes come out of housing and income, and if you put out a list of things that are fundamentally hurting poor people, a carbon tax would be near the bottom of the list. It's not a tax that's going to starve you out and if there's something that needs to change, it's higher wages for these people. A carbon tax isn't killing the poor. Capitalism is.

In addition, most of the talk around the carbon tax is with regard to corporate emissions and is designed to incentivize corporations to decarbonize. There's a lot of good evidence that this exists. These taxes are incredibly effective. A lot of corporate players in power generation, for instance, which is pretty carbon intensive, are much keener to decarbonize with a carbon tax than without. In addition, because you can invest in renewables and cut prices against your competitors if they continue to rely on the costly fossil fuels, the cost of such a tax isn't even passed onto consumers.

DreamWindow said:
For starters, this already exists. Europe has EU Allowances, in the US, they're rolling out statewide allowances on carbon (some of the popular ones includes Washington Carbon and RGGI). There are massive incentives for offsetting your carbon emissions. These are relatively new concepts, but there's been other things that have been around for years like subsidies for renewable generation in solar, wind, geothermal depending on which country, municipality, etc.

The problem is government incentives on clean energy is a complete fucking spook. Anybody who works in commodities, specifically in the oil/gas/renewables complex knows this because it just creates markets for mostly profiteers than people who are actually invested in saving the environment. The allowances I mentioned earlier? People use them to make speculative bets. I'll agree on a cost-analysis perspective that I would much rather have a solar, wind, and geothemeral profiteer than an oil mogul, but the differences on an environmental level are currently negligible to me when a lot of renewable companies simply do basic work to ensure some semblance of carbon neutrality only to profit on a planet that is still degrading.

I also want to add that people thinking that we should enact "moderate" change because they think a radical change would harm poor people are operating under a primarily first world / privileged lens. Climate change is a global problem and we should understand our carbon footprint in a more cosmopolitan and global way. There are very few initiatives that we can take that would hurt more low-income and impoverished people more than what we're already doing, because the status quo hurts poor people the most. Anybody who looks at the pollution of nuclear and other waste we do off the shores of Africa or the intense oppression of global south citizens because corporate backed nation-states need access to their fossil fuels should immediately rid themselves of the notion that decarbonizing at a dramatic rate "hurts poor people the most." It doesn't. It's one of the first steps in a long restorative justice process.
Yudina said:
Carbon taxes (and most climate change policies in some way) are often considered inherently regressive because working class or lower income families are typically more carbon reliant than they are neutral or positive. But nobody in policy really ever advocates for carbon taxes on their own this way. For instance, there are individual rebates rolled out as a counterbalance and quite a few people are typically ahead after tax computations. For those who aren't, the vast majority of people's taxes come out of housing and income,

So you at least acknowledge that carbon taxes target the poor. I don't think it's any better for them, however. They would be much better off if they were allowed to keep their job and use that money for their own purposes.

A carbon tax isn't killing the poor. Capitalism is.

The poor are doing better under capitalism than any other economic system there is.
https://fee.org/articles/the-poorest-20-of-americans-are-richer-than-most-nations-of-europe/

Carbon Taxes do not help the poor, either. Indeed, it does in fact hurt them, when they are in an industry that is affected by the carbon taxes. It's affected people in my country to the point where many of them became unemployed. And it's happening now in the UK, where people are destroying cameras that punish people for driving old cars.

Yudina said:

People will make the decisions that benefit them the most. But why should that matter? If it meets the end in the process, it should not make a difference the reason why someone did it. It sounds like you are only complaining because people make money. If the actual goal of zero emissions is to stop all profiteering, then that's not a good goal in of itself, since the quality of life is heavily dependant on the economic output of any given area.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Dec 9, 2023 6:18 PM

May 2016
DreamWindow said:
So you at least acknowledge that carbon taxes target the poor. I don't think it's any better for them, however. They would be much better off if they were allowed to keep their job and use that money for their own purposes.
That's not what I said. I said they're typically regressive. Regressive taxes exist everywhere. By this logic, a sales tax and payroll taxes also target poor people, which could be true and would in fact be more appropriate to address than a carbon tax. I think fixating on carbon taxes when literally every other part of modern American life is designed to undercut lower income families just seems a little disingenuous.

And again, as I mentioned, carbon taxes have proven to be good at decarbonizing certain carbon intensive sectors in ways that don't pass off additional costs to consumers. Power generation is a great example.

DreamWindow said:
The poor are doing better under capitalism than any other economic system there is.
https://fee.org/articles/the-poorest-20-of-americans-are-richer-than-most-nations-of-europe/
The study here cited is pretty questionable. First of all, simply measuring by consuming more goods and services is not an indication that these people are faring better. By this metric, it's possible people in countries with high savings rates are poorer than impoverished people in America, so consumption on its own is a pretty bad economic indicator. Overall, I'm not sure why someone would advocate for working class people by fighting against a carbon tax while peddling talking points that mislead lower income families into thinking they're more well off than the vast majority of Europe. The very article you're citing even admits this:

The high consumption of America’s “poor” doesn’t mean they live better than average people in the nations they outpace, like Spain, Denmark, Japan, Greece, and New Zealand.

In reality, the OECD data itself is pretty clear. Childhood poverty is worse on average in the states than most OECD/European countries. The poverty gap between income classes is also wider in American than most other countries save for some pretty EU countries that are in really bad shape (Italy). These relative values matter because prices on consumption get worse for people when gaps like this widen. So even if you're spending more on consumption, using that as a measurement is misleading because it's by necessity and not by choice.

The framing is also poor because there's no real socio-cultural distinction between American and European systems. Europe has VAT and other consumption taxes, so it doesn't surprise me at all that Americans look "richer" by comparison. The American tax system naturally results in more discretionary spending and consequently consumption because it doesn't really pay for certain social safety nets and medical bills the way Europe does. These are two separate systems and choosing to evaluate this way tells me that the purpose of the study isn't to inform but to use arbitrary economic methods that seem legitimate to pass off a pre-determined conclusion.

I'm also not going to get into the fact that this is a Libertarian Think Tank and I don't regard think tanks as generally good sources especially when they have such a silly political skew, all of the other problems listed above notwithstanding. I also took a look at the website where they got their study and was immediately met with an entire page of climate science skepticism masquerading as "Just Facts," which again, does not do much to really inspire confidence in this analysis.

Finally, as I mentioned above, I don't think the poor should be excluded to just people in America, especially since global capitalism necessarily creates vast swaths of poverty and exploited labor abroad. The impoverished in America, yes, by virtue of being in a global colonizing superpower, naturally reap some of the rewards stolen by other poor people in the Global South and elsewhere. That doesn't really change the fact that they also struggle and often live in destitute circumstances, but yes they are perhaps better than other countries that have not fared better in a post-WW2, post-cold war, post-9/11 era.

DreamWindow said:
People will make the decisions that benefit them the most. But why should that matter? If it meets the end in the process, it should not make a difference the reason why someone did it. It sounds like you are only complaining because people make money. If the actual goal of zero emissions is to stop all profiteering, then that's not a good goal in of itself, since the quality of life is heavily dependant on the economic output of any given area.
I don't think you actually read the post, but the point I'm making is that there is no end met in the process. You posted that the government should do something, and I'm telling you that all of these things exist, but they're just smokes and mirrors to essentially make a buck. It's simply a matter of profiteering. Actual change isn't going to happen with financial instruments, coupons, bonds, etc.

I'm not sure why me complaining has anything to do with anything, but I'll just go ahead and say that I'm a part of the commodities complex so it's less that I'm complaining and just more aware that climate change initiatives by private corporations is a farce. And yes, I make money off this too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, your final point that "the quality of life is heavily dependant on the economic output of any given area" assumes economic output is something meaningful. A road is built. A school is functioning. There's sales of food and other necessities. This is not even remotely what I'm talking about.

Profiting from financial instruments by taking speculative bets is not real economic output. Nobody but a hedge fund (especially since retail investors cannot trade commodities or complex instruments like this) or some other institutional investor benefits and these are people who are not remotely in the conversation of "working class poor people."
YudinaDec 9, 2023 6:41 PM
Dec 9, 2023 7:39 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to Yudina
DreamWindow said:
That's not what I said. I said they're typically regressive. Regressive taxes exist everywhere. By this logic, a sales tax and payroll taxes also target poor people, which could be true and would in fact be more appropriate to address than a carbon tax. I think fixating on carbon taxes when literally every other part of modern American life is designed to undercut lower income families just seems a little disingenuous.

And again, as I mentioned, carbon taxes have proven to be good at decarbonizing certain carbon intensive sectors in ways that don't pass off additional costs to consumers. Power generation is a great example.

DreamWindow said:
The study here cited is pretty questionable. First of all, simply measuring by consuming more goods and services is not an indication that these people are faring better. By this metric, it's possible people in countries with high savings rates are poorer than impoverished people in America, so consumption on its own is a pretty bad economic indicator. Overall, I'm not sure why someone would advocate for working class people by fighting against a carbon tax while peddling talking points that mislead lower income families into thinking they're more well off than the vast majority of Europe. The very article you're citing even admits this:

The high consumption of America’s “poor” doesn’t mean they live better than average people in the nations they outpace, like Spain, Denmark, Japan, Greece, and New Zealand.

In reality, the OECD data itself is pretty clear. Childhood poverty is worse on average in the states than most OECD/European countries. The poverty gap between income classes is also wider in American than most other countries save for some pretty EU countries that are in really bad shape (Italy). These relative values matter because prices on consumption get worse for people when gaps like this widen. So even if you're spending more on consumption, using that as a measurement is misleading because it's by necessity and not by choice.

The framing is also poor because there's no real socio-cultural distinction between American and European systems. Europe has VAT and other consumption taxes, so it doesn't surprise me at all that Americans look "richer" by comparison. The American tax system naturally results in more discretionary spending and consequently consumption because it doesn't really pay for certain social safety nets and medical bills the way Europe does. These are two separate systems and choosing to evaluate this way tells me that the purpose of the study isn't to inform but to use arbitrary economic methods that seem legitimate to pass off a pre-determined conclusion.

I'm also not going to get into the fact that this is a Libertarian Think Tank and I don't regard think tanks as generally good sources especially when they have such a silly political skew, all of the other problems listed above notwithstanding. I also took a look at the website where they got their study and was immediately met with an entire page of climate science skepticism masquerading as "Just Facts," which again, does not do much to really inspire confidence in this analysis.

Finally, as I mentioned above, I don't think the poor should be excluded to just people in America, especially since global capitalism necessarily creates vast swaths of poverty and exploited labor abroad. The impoverished in America, yes, by virtue of being in a global colonizing superpower, naturally reap some of the rewards stolen by other poor people in the Global South and elsewhere. That doesn't really change the fact that they also struggle and often live in destitute circumstances, but yes they are perhaps better than other countries that have not fared better in a post-WW2, post-cold war, post-9/11 era.

DreamWindow said:
I don't think you actually read the post, but the point I'm making is that there is no end met in the process. You posted that the government should do something, and I'm telling you that all of these things exist, but they're just smokes and mirrors to essentially make a buck. It's simply a matter of profiteering. Actual change isn't going to happen with financial instruments, coupons, bonds, etc.

I'm not sure why me complaining has anything to do with anything, but I'll just go ahead and say that I'm a part of the commodities complex so it's less that I'm complaining and just more aware that climate change initiatives by private corporations is a farce. And yes, I make money off this too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, your final point that "the quality of life is heavily dependant on the economic output of any given area" assumes economic output is something meaningful. A road is built. A school is functioning. There's sales of food and other necessities. This is not even remotely what I'm talking about.

Profiting from financial instruments by taking speculative bets is not real economic output. Nobody but a hedge fund (especially since retail investors cannot trade commodities or complex instruments like this) or some other institutional investor benefits and these are people who are not remotely in the conversation of "working class poor people."
Yudina said:

I am discussing carbon taxes specifically because that is the discussion that is being had.

Yudina said:
The study here cited is pretty questionable. First of all, consuming more goods and services is not an indication of doing better. There's no real conception of savings being considered here, just consumption, which is not really a reliable economic indicator.

If you are well enough to be able to afford food and basic necessities, for a poor person, this is a better representation of the state of poverty that they are in. There are people in some countries who live off of $5 a day, for example, and they do not have the same kind of infrastructure that the US does. And so, the cumulative affect of that development also plays a part in the quality of life for that person.

In addition, the OECD data itself is pretty clear. Childhood poverty is worse on average in the states than most OECD/European countries. The poverty gap between income classes is also wider in American than most other countries save for some pretty EU countries that are in really bad shape (Italy).

The framing is also poor because there's no real socio-cultural distinction between American and European systems. Comparing things as a matter of consumption is also extremely misleading. For starters, it depends on what you're consuming to begin with (and keep in mind a lot of medical expenses are just more expensive in the states). Europe also has VAT and other consumption taxes. The American tax system naturally results in more discretionary spending and consequently consumption because it doesn't really pay for certain social safety nets and medical bills the way Europe does.

The OECD data is particularly flawed because it is based on “income,” which excludes a host of non-cash government benefits and private charity that are abundant in the United States. Examples include but are not limited to:

Health care provided by Medicaid, free clinics, and the Children’s Health Insurance Program

Nourishment provided by food stamps, school lunches, school breakfasts, soup kitchens, food pantries, and the Women’s, Infants’ & Children’s program

Housing and amenities provided through rent subsidies, utility assistance, and homeless shelters

These are social safety nets. They just do things differently. Even when it comes to health care, only a small percentage of people actually pay their health care out of pocket. The rest is paid through insurance, and government donations.

"Global colonizing power" "exploited labour". These are just buzzterms.
The reason why America is successful is not because they take from impoverished countries. That is not it at all. It's the fact that new wealth has been created over the course of past centuries that have greatly benefited economic development, thus raising the standards of living for all those in the nation. It's simply not true a country could be sustainable on the merit of "stealing" from another country. At least not to the degree that we have seen in the developed world.

Yudina said:

Ok, so you are saying that no end is being met. Well, that's kind of what I'm getting at here. It's impossible to really know what is a sufficient end in the first place, when it comes to climate policy. The only reason I even brought up a proposal was because that's where the conversation went. I wouldn't have had any interest in discussing this otherwise.

Sure. It's all a farce. But at the end of the day, climate policy in general is a farce. I don't think there are real tree huggers out there, who genuinely care about the environment enough to sacrifice the luxuries of modern life. There are some, no doubt, but for those pushing for change, I think it all comes down to their own personal agendas more than a genuine desire to fix the environment. But if there needs to be a line in the sand, what I illustrated above would be as far as I would go.
DreamWindowDec 9, 2023 8:02 PM

Dec 10, 2023 1:08 AM

Jun 2019
JaniSIr said:
So just because I'm against fear mongering I'm suddenly pro-war? What sort of logic is that...

To be fair, I had rather in mind American conservatives rather than anyone here, and you are not American. However, when water scarcity issues become global, there will inevitably be wars everywhere, so failing to tackle this issue results de facto in a pro-war position.

deg said:
yep the way they want moderate solutions to dire situations sounds like if they got a severe wound that needs stitches they want band aid instead lol

Good one! Except that people are not bleeding fast enough (metaphor) to realise how dire the situation is.

DreamWindow said:
Not even just the vandalism, but I the notion that people should be content with changing the way that they live their lives is a very tall ask for anyone, especially those who don't have a good standing already, and people expect people to just be okay with a radical change for something that they can't even see the benefit of.
You can see that with @deg and @Meusnier. I don't think it's too unreasonable that people should have the luxury of flying home to their families, or flying abroad in search of new opportunities. I think that would be a damn shame if they lost those opportunities. And there's not even a guarantee that some kind of regime erected to tackle these issues would even be successful. But to people who don't value those things, it can be impossible to reason with them. That's what I was trying to say before, is that people have different value structures, and forcing it on them will cause more harm than good.

I am bemused to see how badly you have misread my reply above. "It is clear that we need to completely change the fabrics of society if we want to tackle climate warming. And no, it should not be a disaster to stop using the plane to go to holidays and get rid of useless jobs that create artificial wealth but real pollution."

I was not thinking about meeting with one's family or seeking new opportunities abroad (I have done that myself a few times) but mass tourism, that results in a lot of pollution and destruction of the nature surrounding touristic spots. At this point, I believe that you do not want to try changing anything. By the way, things like carbon taxes that @deg mentioned are technocratic tools that blend perfectly well in the existing structures of society, and as such, are worthless. I am also against blaming individuals who take the plane instead of the train because it is cheaper (say), what is needed is a complete shift in the way societies are organised and cities are built (forcing people to have a car, for example). I am not asking that people go back to ride horses (though it would be lovely to see).

Anyway, a philosophical thread that has derailed into a debate on Covid and global warming—and even triggered some mind-numbing exchanges between "fallacists"—is not worth saving...
Dec 10, 2023 5:04 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to DreamWindow
Adnash said:
Aye, what that guy said gave me really strong "literally 1984" vibes. I'm 100% sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if said person was a fan of that one book written by George Orwell, lol.

It's an actual quote from "1984". It goes like: "War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength." if I remember correctly. Meh, personally I'm not a fan of George Orwell and his books. Leaving him as an author and focusing more on stuff he created, his books are not bad per se and have a lot of interesting things to offer, but at the same time it's not like they present revolutionary, absolute and final knowledge, like many apologists of George Orwell like to claim sometimes. At least those I met myself, be it in real life or on the Internet. It's of course not George Orwell's fault, but his books became so widely read that their initial meaning started becoming more and more vulgarised, as a mere element of popular culture. Overrated, even. As much as I dislike using this word, it fits here.

That's a fair assessment. But I think it is a testament to the values displayed in it, since it is still relevant in discussion to this day. I have yet to read it in full, so I will spare you a proper assessment of the man and his works.

Adnash said:
Hah, it reminds of me of some discussion I've been seeing in various places, regarding the final episode of Attack on Titan. They were about that "slave to freedom" theme. Leaving the area of anime alone, it's quite an interesting paradox, hehe. Only if elaborated upon, even a little. Because mentioning it for the sake of including it into a discussion might be indeed seen as pretentious. Well, if someone really wants to discuss about philosophic aspects of it, that is.

People tend to misinterpret or misunderstand what those terms actually mean. A free man is a man who is left to his own devices. He is not owed any form of material standard, but he is owed some manner of human decency. Now of course we can go deep into what material standards are, and what human decency means, but in general, I think that's a good assessment on what a free man is, as opposed to a slave, who is someone who is being held back by others, for their own purposes. I'm not super familiar with Attack on Titan, so I'm not sure what exact scene you are talking about, but I think that should give you a general idea on my stance.

Thanks for letting me ramble by the way lol.
DreamWindow said:
I'm not super familiar with Attack on Titan, so I'm not sure what exact scene you are talking about, but I think that should give you a general idea on my stance.

Basically, freedom understood as illusive concept, since no one is truly free, just has different types of shackles.

DreamWindow said:
People tend to misinterpret or misunderstand what those terms actually mean. A free man is a man who is left to his own devices. He is not owed any form of material standard, but he is owed some manner of human decency. Now of course we can go deep into what material standards are, and what human decency means, but in general, I think that's a good assessment on what a free man is, as opposed to a slave, who is someone who is being held back by others, for their own purposes.

The quote from the clip I posted earlier is indeed a thought provoking one, no doubts about that. Although I disagree with the idea of "freedom being illusive", or with adding too much different ideas to it (are drug addicts free, or slaves to their addiction? are devoted fans free, or are they binded by their devoted approach? etc.). While the world is complex on its own, some constructs are better if put into binary boundaries. Dychotomy of freedom-slavery is one of them. A slave can't be someone who is also a free person, and a free person can't be a slave by definition. Slaves are held back by the others, limited by them, making most of their free will (no matter if we are talking about psychology and voluntary or involuntary point of view, or not) disappear for the sake of the third party, while free people are... free to live in a way they want to, without transfering their free will to anyone (at least not the majority of it; I don't believe in absolute freedom or absolute slavery existing in reality, since they are more like theoretical models), doing what they can do with tools and opportunities they are given, limited mostly by human decency and other people's right to freedom. I see your way of defining "freedom" and "slavery" is quite similar. Unless I misunderstood it, haha.

DreamWindow said:
You're welcome. ;p
Dec 10, 2023 1:05 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to Meusnier
JaniSIr said:
So just because I'm against fear mongering I'm suddenly pro-war? What sort of logic is that...

To be fair, I had rather in mind American conservatives rather than anyone here, and you are not American. However, when water scarcity issues become global, there will inevitably be wars everywhere, so failing to tackle this issue results de facto in a pro-war position.

deg said:
yep the way they want moderate solutions to dire situations sounds like if they got a severe wound that needs stitches they want band aid instead lol

Good one! Except that people are not bleeding fast enough (metaphor) to realise how dire the situation is.

DreamWindow said:
Not even just the vandalism, but I the notion that people should be content with changing the way that they live their lives is a very tall ask for anyone, especially those who don't have a good standing already, and people expect people to just be okay with a radical change for something that they can't even see the benefit of.
You can see that with @deg and @Meusnier. I don't think it's too unreasonable that people should have the luxury of flying home to their families, or flying abroad in search of new opportunities. I think that would be a damn shame if they lost those opportunities. And there's not even a guarantee that some kind of regime erected to tackle these issues would even be successful. But to people who don't value those things, it can be impossible to reason with them. That's what I was trying to say before, is that people have different value structures, and forcing it on them will cause more harm than good.

I am bemused to see how badly you have misread my reply above. "It is clear that we need to completely change the fabrics of society if we want to tackle climate warming. And no, it should not be a disaster to stop using the plane to go to holidays and get rid of useless jobs that create artificial wealth but real pollution."

I was not thinking about meeting with one's family or seeking new opportunities abroad (I have done that myself a few times) but mass tourism, that results in a lot of pollution and destruction of the nature surrounding touristic spots. At this point, I believe that you do not want to try changing anything. By the way, things like carbon taxes that @deg mentioned are technocratic tools that blend perfectly well in the existing structures of society, and as such, are worthless. I am also against blaming individuals who take the plane instead of the train because it is cheaper (say), what is needed is a complete shift in the way societies are organised and cities are built (forcing people to have a car, for example). I am not asking that people go back to ride horses (though it would be lovely to see).

Anyway, a philosophical thread that has derailed into a debate on Covid and global warming—and even triggered some mind-numbing exchanges between "fallacists"—is not worth saving...
Meusnier said:
there will inevitably be wars everywhere, so failing to tackle this issue results de facto in a pro-war position.

This is fear mongering in of itself...

Meusnier said:

I was not thinking about meeting with one's family or seeking new opportunities abroad (I have done that myself a few times) but mass tourism, that results in a lot of pollution and destruction of the nature surrounding touristic spots.

Ok, I see what you are saying, but flying home to meet ones family is a common holiday occurrence for immigrants here. I didn't I misread what you said, it's just that holiday was left as an ambiguous statement. You didn't mention tourists spots at all in the original post.
On that, I'm not sure those countries who heavily rely on tourism for their income would be very happy about that change...

At this point, I believe that you do not want to try changing anything.

Well shit, man, what do you expect when everyone who is pushing for radical changes always has a different look on what is going to change? It's not like there is any certainty on what we can expect moving forward. Everyone in this thread alone who is advocating for change has a completely different outlook on what that will look like, and that's not even mentioning those who are in policy and in the scientists position... It's like expecting people to just be ok with anything, regardless of any concerns on how it might affect them or their livelihood. From where I'm standing, it seems like anything goes, and it doesn't matter who gets disenfranchised in the process.

By the way, things like carbon taxes that @deg mentioned are technocratic tools that blend perfectly well in the existing structures of society, and as such, are worthless. I am also against blaming individuals who take the plane instead of the train because it is cheaper (say), what is needed is a complete shift in the way societies are organised and cities are built (forcing people to have a car, for example). I am not asking that people go back to ride horses (though it would be lovely to see).

I'm not trying to say that you think we should regress in development, because I don't think anyone wants that, realistically. It would be great if cities were more accessible (I'm not a city dweller myself), so overhauling planning bureaucracies would be fine in my book. Architectural design would hopefully improve as a result of that too, but that might just be wishful thinking. Cities here are ugly as hell.

Dec 10, 2023 1:25 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Reply to Adnash
DreamWindow said:
I'm not super familiar with Attack on Titan, so I'm not sure what exact scene you are talking about, but I think that should give you a general idea on my stance.

Basically, freedom understood as illusive concept, since no one is truly free, just has different types of shackles.

DreamWindow said:
People tend to misinterpret or misunderstand what those terms actually mean. A free man is a man who is left to his own devices. He is not owed any form of material standard, but he is owed some manner of human decency. Now of course we can go deep into what material standards are, and what human decency means, but in general, I think that's a good assessment on what a free man is, as opposed to a slave, who is someone who is being held back by others, for their own purposes.

The quote from the clip I posted earlier is indeed a thought provoking one, no doubts about that. Although I disagree with the idea of "freedom being illusive", or with adding too much different ideas to it (are drug addicts free, or slaves to their addiction? are devoted fans free, or are they binded by their devoted approach? etc.). While the world is complex on its own, some constructs are better if put into binary boundaries. Dychotomy of freedom-slavery is one of them. A slave can't be someone who is also a free person, and a free person can't be a slave by definition. Slaves are held back by the others, limited by them, making most of their free will (no matter if we are talking about psychology and voluntary or involuntary point of view, or not) disappear for the sake of the third party, while free people are... free to live in a way they want to, without transfering their free will to anyone (at least not the majority of it; I don't believe in absolute freedom or absolute slavery existing in reality, since they are more like theoretical models), doing what they can do with tools and opportunities they are given, limited mostly by human decency and other people's right to freedom. I see your way of defining "freedom" and "slavery" is quite similar. Unless I misunderstood it, haha.

DreamWindow said:
You're welcome. ;p
Adnash said:

Spoiler

Oh ok, I think I've heard this somewhere before. Something along the lines of:

"Who is more free?
A) The man who lives in a place where the government has outlawed drugs, but has a stable life, OR:
B) A man who lives in a place where drugs are legal, but has a drug addiction."

I think this is a misleading juxtaposition, since, people are inherently different. The second man can still exist in the first society, as he currently does in our society. To me, that's not a really good metric of freedom, since it goes way too far into one's personal decisions. If the metric for freedom is purely based on their asceticism, then that is missing the point of freedom in my opinion. But yeah I can see why that clip brings up that kind of discussion. I should watch AoT at some point.

Adnash said:

No it sounds like we are more or less on the same page here. I read this section after I had written out the first one and I though "oh yeah that's pretty similar" although I think you more more elaborate in describing it.

Also I think this is the only philosophical conversation left in this thread lol.

Dec 10, 2023 3:29 PM

Jul 2021
DreamWindow said:
Well shit, man, what do you expect when everyone who is pushing for radical changes always has a different look on what is going to change? It's not like there is any certainty on what we can expect moving forward. Everyone in this thread alone who is advocating for change has a completely different outlook on what that will look like, and that's not even mentioning those who are in policy and in the scientists position... It's like expecting people to just be ok with anything, regardless of any concerns on how it might affect them or their livelihood. From where I'm standing, it seems like anything goes, and it doesn't matter who gets disenfranchised in the process.

Why do people always want to change everything, nobody wants to just preserve what's already good.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - 8 hours ago

15 by RyuRabbit »»
8 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

26 by JaniSIr »»
54 minutes ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

73 by 707supremacist »»
1 hour ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - Apr 25

19 by Deyuko »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

65 by Animeistaken »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.