Forum Settings
Forums

Can you guess what Chopin's piece I have been practicing for this past 1 month?

New
Nov 14, 2023 8:52 AM

Dec 2013
Hint:
Its a long piece, for professional pianist takes about 10 to 11 minutes to play, and for casual pianist learning it takes much longer.
It is one of Chopin's masterpiece.
The nuance includes happiness, empty sad, and glorious.
Until the mid section the piece seems in the state of in-between, no resolution. And until near the end, it finds its resolution in the most affirming and glorious way. And the the ending section is finished with the touch of anger and darkness.

Nov 14, 2023 8:57 AM

Dec 2013
I guarantee nobody will reply this thread
Because almost no one listen to and interested in classical piano anymore in this tiktok era.
But let's see

Nov 14, 2023 9:18 AM

Jun 2019
Given the description, it should be the Ballade No. 4 in F Minor of Chopin.

My favourite interpretation:

Nov 14, 2023 9:40 AM

Feb 2016
Generic answer but you're probably referencing Ballade no.4. One of the few works of Chopin which I think deserves such an evocative description (not enough counterpoint in his other popular pieces imo).

I'd argue Chopin is a product of the "tiktok era" as much as any music is these days: society was on the exact same trajectory during the Romantic period as it is now, and the attitudes people have towards art are virtually identical. If you want to have your "old man shouts at cloud" moment with dignity then pick a taller hill to die on.
Nov 14, 2023 10:03 AM

Dec 2015
philtecturophy said:
I guarantee nobody will reply this thread
Because almost no one listen to and interested in classical piano anymore in this tiktok era.
But let's see

Being interested ain't mean liking it and vice versa.

I'm not a fan of classical music by myself, especially Piano which I tried to learn as a kid, I'd rather Violin music, not to mention that I also tried to learn Violin [too late as I can't place my 4th finger, due to not having my left hand stretched enough to play Violin] although I do know little pieces, 10-11 minutes, some sort of Sonata? [As I like mainly Revolutionary Etude from Chopin, which ain't that long]
Nov 14, 2023 10:21 AM

Jun 2019
@TibetanJazz666 Great artists are geological revolutions (Proust), they are from their time in the sense that they create something outstanding out of their epoch. They are a product (the only real product in fact) of their time, but in their time, there were countless prodigious composers. Today, it has become much more difficult to produce art due to the saturation of space by failed artists, and the lack of real masters. But art was still very much alive during Chopin's time (as it was in 1917), so no one was losing time wondering about the "death of art," and commoners were not pretending to impose their (bad, obviously) taste unto others. More fundamentally, people had the time back then, but today, who has the patience of listening to Bruckner and Wagner? The destruction of the average human's attention span is a tragedy.

Also, I said the correct answer first!
Nov 14, 2023 3:34 PM

Dec 2013
Reply to Meusnier
Given the description, it should be the Ballade No. 4 in F Minor of Chopin.

My favourite interpretation:

@Meusnier I know you will reply and guess it right. I guess the duration 10 to 12 minutes makes the guessing game too easy for you.

I listened to Collard's interpretation, thank you, it is very beautiful. Although I still prefer Yundi Li's interpretation of the piece. Collard's seems a bit rushed at some sections, just IMHO though.

To aim playing near Yundi's and Collard's are basically an impossibility. My aim for this past 1 month is to play as good as Bachscholar's interpretation with his super slow tempo. Therefore in this learning process, I listened less and less to Yundi's (it almost can he dangerous to keep listening to fast tempo playing when learning it) and carefully more to Bachscholar's every single day to get a nice comfortable tempo, while getting the muscle memory know the piece 100% correct and clean with slow tempo. My chronic butt pain force me to divide the practice into 3 to 4 sessions a day, each 20 to 25 minutes, thus only 1 play start to end of piece every session.

Bachscholar's super slow tempo:

One of the nice thing about learning Chopin such as this piece is that, even at very slow tempo, the music still sounds very beautiful. That's making the learning process enjoyable.

I will be posting my practice soon once it gets better.
I have finished memorizing it, played at slow tempo.

More topics from this board

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

17 by Noboru »»
10 seconds ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

44 by Rhaelynne »»
1 minute ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

681 by blankflag »»
44 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

68 by -Jahra »»
48 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - Apr 25

21 by rohan121 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.