Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 27, 2010 6:03 PM

Feb 2008
According to Anime!Anime!, Navarre is considering the disposal of its subsidiary FUNimation having Houlihan Lokey as an advisory bank. The development of the profits and the business of FUNimation has met Navarre's expectation, but the anime business has deviated from the core project of Navarre, which closed its movie and music media section in 2009. Anime!Anime! speculates that Navarre will concentrate its resources on PC related business. Navarre said the consideration of the sale doesn't immediately lead to the actual disposal.

Source: Anime!Anime!, Navarre's press release
dtshykMay 27, 2010 6:36 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 27, 2010 6:06 PM
Jan 2009
I just bought a ton of merchandise from the Funimation booth at Anime Central, too...
May 27, 2010 6:07 PM
Aug 2007
KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON. I'm not getting worked up until I know more about it.
May 27, 2010 6:11 PM

Jan 2009
Need moar sauce
May 27, 2010 6:14 PM
Jun 2008
Why do the news headlines for these things read like gossip mag stories...?
May 27, 2010 6:18 PM

Nov 2007
hmmm im really suprised funimation is a decent licenser but as suzuka said Ne3d MoAr SaUC3

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
May 27, 2010 6:24 PM
Oct 2008
... Im wondering what will happen with all they've licensed
May 27, 2010 6:32 PM

Dec 2008
So even though Funi is raking in the big dough there considering it still?

:|
May 27, 2010 6:35 PM
Nov 2008
>Child company makes a whole lot of money.
>LET'S DISPOSE OF IT! LOLOLOLOL
May 27, 2010 6:51 PM
Oct 2009
I swear, if they get rid of FUNimation, I'm going to flip. FUNimation is just starting to dub some of my favorite anime, and if their "mother" company plans to cut them off before all of the dubbing can be finished, I'm going to be REALLY mad. This whole ordeal is just sorta wrong and totally wacky. >_<
May 27, 2010 6:52 PM

Apr 2009
What? But. But, they haven't released Spice and Wolf II yet!
May 27, 2010 7:05 PM

Jan 2009
Great. 1st ADV, now this..

And i don't even like Funimation like that but let them stay for the fanboys to enjoy. Sheesh
May 27, 2010 7:17 PM

Mar 2010
I'll be devastated if this comes to pass. I was really looking forward to Hetalia in English. Not to mention all of the other Funi anime I've been collecting. It would be a huge blow to the Anime industry, too.

May 27, 2010 7:33 PM

Nov 2009
HAHAHAHAHA! Now we'll be on an equal playing field AHAHAHAHAHA!
Earth gets angry after a kick in the face.
May 27, 2010 7:34 PM
Apr 2009
darklite said:
Great. 1st ADV, now this..

And i don't even like Funimation like that but let them stay for the fanboys to enjoy. Sheesh

Yeah ADV was awesome too. I hope this won't give Funi any problems on the future.
May 27, 2010 7:39 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
This is totally retarded....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
May 27, 2010 7:40 PM

May 2008
ReaperEXE said:
What? But. But, they haven't released Spice and Wolf II yet!

This. I will never forgive them if they don't release it.

Also, FUNimation hate begins in....
SozinNorokoMay 27, 2010 7:48 PM
May 27, 2010 7:40 PM

Sep 2008
YAY GOOD RIDDANCE!
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
May 27, 2010 7:48 PM

Oct 2007
Jigero said:
YAY GOOD RIDDANCE!

explain yourself
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 2010 7:50 PM
Nov 2008
Jigero said:
YAY GOOD RIDDANCE!

ITT the meaning of "considers" isn't understood.
May 27, 2010 8:02 PM
Nov 2008
Protip: If FUNimation isn't sold to another company, FUNi will continue to operate under the name of FUNimation while still being owned by Navarre.
May 27, 2010 8:27 PM

Aug 2006
This doesn't mean they're going to outright shutdown FUNi. Judging by the language used in the press release, they'll probably just sell it to someone else. Then again, you never really know what the hell these peoples' true intentions are. There's about zero transparency and no one ever knows what's going on, which has always annoyed me.

Edit:
Onibokusu said:
Protip: If FUNimation isn't sold to another company, FUNi will continue to operate under the name of FUNimation while still being owned by Navarre.

Sauce?
May 27, 2010 8:53 PM
Dec 2007
Onibokusu said:
Judging by the way they say it they might be either letting them turn independent (they are growing enough to have a shot) or selling them to a new parent company (or companies). Sounds like the they don't want to take chances on the visual entertainment area judging by how they previously got rid of their movie branch as well.

Btw, it's never a good sign when important companies in the industry die so keep the good riddance stupidity to yourself. Not every show gets fansubs nor are they legal for that matter. A healthy industry should be in our best interest as fans.

May 27, 2010 8:58 PM

May 2008
I think it's more likely that FUNi will split into its own company and just become even more overbearing.

I am a banana.
May 27, 2010 8:59 PM

Apr 2010
as much as i strongly dislike funimation for being jews and such, it would be shit for anime if they were disbanded or some silly shit like that
May 27, 2010 8:59 PM
Nov 2008
zombieguy said:
This doesn't mean they're going to outright shutdown FUNi. Judging by the language used in the press release, they'll probably just sell it to someone else. Then again, you never really know what the hell these peoples' true intentions are. There's about zero transparency and no one ever knows what's going on, which has always annoyed me.

Edit:
Onibokusu said:

Sauce?

Sauce and simpler sauce.
May 27, 2010 9:18 PM

Mar 2007
Dear FUNi,

Go die in a pit of fire for your dub titles and "translations" of anime. Let a good company take care of it.

Sincerely,
Embittered and Boycotting Anime-fan
~Shade and sweet water~
Group Lead of Otenba -- Quality Check Lead of Static-Subs
May 27, 2010 9:18 PM

Jul 2007
It sounds more like they are going to spin them off into it's own company or sell them to another company.
May 27, 2010 10:16 PM

Oct 2008
Leon-Gun said:
Judging by the way they say it they might be either letting them turn independent (they are growing enough to have a shot) or selling them to a new parent company (or companies). Sounds like the they don't want to take chances on the visual entertainment area judging by how they previously got rid of their movie branch as well.

You actually got the latter one right. At first, I couldn't really make heads or tails as to what this is about or whether this is a good or bad thing like everyone else. However, thankfully Anime News Network just posted up the latest ANNCast less than an hour ago where both Justin and Zac IMMEDIATELY explain the situation to prevent any speculation (they also talk about the series finale of Lost in case anyone's interested). Basically, Navarrie is putting Funimation up for adoption to a parent company that will care about entertainment as much as Funimation is with their simulcast partnerships and co-production.

Leon-Gun said:
Btw, it's never a good sign when important companies in the industry die so keep the good riddance stupidity to yourself. Not every show gets fansubs nor are they legal for that matter. A healthy industry should be in our best interest as fans.

Thank you!
May 27, 2010 10:17 PM

Jan 2008
Hold your horses folks. Selling the company doesn't mean anything is--necessarily--going to change. Likely any purchaser might have some things to say about company policy, but as a general rule companies like Funimation aren't affected TOO much by a transfer of ownership. The anime market is such that Funimation will be unlikely to disappear, so keep your britches on for the time being.

Anyway, regarding the state of the industry in general (as that seems to be a small part of the discussion), I again point out there's no indication that Funi is leaving us. As far as recent company shut-downs/splits are concerned, I might actually consider it to be a good thing to a certain extent. I miss our fallen companies just as much as anyone, but the level of participation and the marketing attitude haven't been matching up ever since the anime boom of the 90s; the effects of which we are still suffering. The plain fact of the matter is there are too many producers (and too much of the same product) in a consumer realm that--inflicted both from within and without--has become static. Until the anime "baby boomers" get and spend more capital, and until there is a significant attitude shift, we're going to continue to see companies participating in the anime industry to shut down or pull out of it.

Also, unrelated: one should not automatically assume fansubs are "illegal," as it depends on the circumstances. Though as a general rule, that would be an accurate assumption. :p
Mr_PandaMay 27, 2010 10:26 PM
~ Mr. Panda // Twitter: @ManlyBats
~ The Anime Historian
~ Fleet Admiral, Manly Battleships®
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Follow Mr. Panda's VCR of DOOM! review series here. Now on YouTube!
May 27, 2010 11:21 PM

Sep 2009
Well, that'd be pretty bad. So many people working for Funi and they're starting put out lots of BluRay stuff. I want mah HD anime!
May 28, 2010 12:03 AM

Jan 2010
Sumiregawa-kun said:
Dear FUNi,

Go die in a pit of fire for your dub titles and "translations" of anime. Let a good company take care of it.

Sincerely,

*Highfive*

Its funny how good fansubs groups seem to do a better job that the so called "professionals".

I am proud to have Clannad as the only thing on my dropped list.
May 28, 2010 12:18 AM

May 2009
fall of funianimaton = coming back of licensed titles??
May 28, 2010 1:47 AM

Sep 2008
if the big companies can't make it than anime might be screwed, or not. like may people here have said hopefully nothing will change
May 28, 2010 1:54 AM

Aug 2009
As much as this could be shit for the industry, I just can't seem to give a damn. Funimation's dubs are simply horrible and don't even get me started on their annoying habit of removing several good fansubs on streaming sites. Part of me just wish to see them gone. xD
May 28, 2010 2:59 AM

May 2008
OMG no way whats gonna happen with the new Licensed series Like Sekirei and Rosario Vampire I still want those xD
May 28, 2010 3:08 AM

Jan 2009
I'm sure nothing will happen to Funi. Lets hope not after all they are one of the few good anime companies left now.
May 28, 2010 3:57 AM

Jun 2008
Well could still operate as a company away from Navarre like it once did. And all those voice actors and actress are getting less and less work if Funi closes. But all speculation as Navarre possibly restructuring as what ever big business does every so often for profit sake.
May 28, 2010 4:41 AM

Jun 2008
The dubhate on here makes me rage. I fucking hate people. No-one forces you to buy their releases or watch their dubs, do they?
May 28, 2010 6:03 AM

Jan 2010
Eh. If this helps them improve distribution. I want anime more available through proper US channels.

Not to say fansubs don't have an appropriate time and place, but many are done irresponsibly. They need to focus efforts in ways that support piracy less.
May 28, 2010 6:16 AM

Nov 2008
ah funimation
May 28, 2010 6:59 AM

Sep 2008
fuck no.

please let me buy more R1, they more cheap. I'm only throw my money to R2 if I don't have any choice to have series which I like to my racks.
May 28, 2010 7:17 AM
Apr 2009
Smochi said:
The dubhate on here makes me rage. I fucking hate people. No-one forces you to buy their releases or watch their dubs, do they?

Their DVD's have subs too. *facepalm*
May 28, 2010 7:21 AM

Sep 2008
just ignore them, they don't understand the pains buying DVD without able to play it anyway.
May 28, 2010 8:21 AM

Jan 2009
I'll admit some of the dubs that funimation makes I don't like but some of the ones they've created have been good as well. I think it'd be a shame if funimation were to disappear :(
May 28, 2010 8:33 AM

Jun 2008
Funimation blows, they are a shell of their former selves. Their dubs are rushed and unpolished. Not to mention they have gotten too greedy for their own good. I say good riddance to them. Not to mention many of the series they have been bringing over are all cut from the same mold, to fit a western style of taste, not thinking of the others. Yeah I guess it makes sense since they are a business and, but even still, it's not much of a lose. Unless you just watch your anime dubbed that is. (even their subtitles blow though)

I say, bring back "ADV", their dubs were awesome! I hardly even buy DVDs since they went out of business. "Anime Works" is pretty decent too, when they actually dub.

Eh, either way since I watch most of my anime subbed, this doesn't effect me. I'll just buy the import DVDs, they still have English subs.
Retro8bitMay 28, 2010 8:38 AM
May 28, 2010 8:39 AM

Sep 2008
^
its loss to me, I don't want cost 1000USD or more (hell even to afford it, its impossible for me) to buy 63 episode R2 Release of FMA:B
May 28, 2010 8:58 AM

Jul 2009
There goes the only good dubbing company...
May 28, 2010 9:02 AM

Oct 2009
Xavierxenon said:
Sumiregawa-kun said:
Dear FUNi,

Sincerely,

*Highfive*

Its funny how good fansubs groups seem to do a better job that the so called "professionals".

I love how people comment on how one translation is better then the other when they dont even understand Japanese.
May 28, 2010 9:35 AM

May 2008
Holy fuck.....no.

Funimation is like..one of the only really good dub companies. FFS Why.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

13 by VivavideoUser2x »»
2 hours ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 11 hours ago

7 by Yubisoft »»
6 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
Yesterday, 5:34 PM

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
Yesterday, 4:09 PM

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Apr 24, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.