Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Horimiya
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 4, 2023 2:19 PM

Apr 2019
I like that in Horimiya that we have a relationship shown almost immediately, compared to other bland romances, but I have a problem with Hori. Don't you think she's toxic? It pains me a bit that all her bad behavior in this anime is treated as a joke. She is constantly jealous, often aggressive and dominant. In episode 10, when she made a fuss with Miyamura about him 'smelling' of another boy, when he didn't even know what it was about, and then she PUNCHED him in the face, I was like: bitch, wtf?. Then she got offended and Miyamura, AS ALWAYS, was the first to apologize to her. Unfortunately, he gets pushed around a lot. He's too soft for her. Even her father or their friends notice her strange behavior, but no one except the green-haired girl pays attention to it. They prefer to stay away from it.
She is often nice etc. but how can I like her after the events where she beats her boyfriend for no reason? And her fetishes. The fact that she has such a fetish doesn't bother me, but the next problem is that she "forces" it on Miyamura. Miyamura has mentioned many times that he doesn't like beating her and doesn't want to do it, but ultimately to please her he does it anyway. (and then he complains to his friends that Hori is forcing him to do strange things again, and of course, as usual, it is turned into a joke).
For example, the situation with her brother. As if she couldn't tell him something calmly, she immediately screams, making him cry. Did she realize how she was behaving? Yes, has she changed anything in her behavior? NO
Do you also feel this way?
Jollyne7Oct 5, 2023 5:38 AM
Oct 4, 2023 5:13 PM
Sep 2018
Ohhhh bro, finally someone says this.
Hori's toxic behaviour was the reason I dropped the first season and almost dropped this second season.
When she got angry to Souta when he was doing NOTHING WRONG... bro, I couldn't bear it and skipped the chaoter entirely.
Damn, I hate Hori I lot.
Oct 4, 2023 5:28 PM
Aug 2022
Bro this is exactly what I was Saying!! Hori is so toxic. Like Izumi is a saint putting up with her. I became far more interested in literally any other relationship because of her toxic behaviour.

Even her parent’s relationship I found more interesting. Hori’s mum is like a incredibly toned down version of her.
Oct 4, 2023 5:30 PM
Jul 2021
it's okay, I'm sure Miyamura can fix her.
Oct 4, 2023 5:43 PM

Jan 2013
No? I take it in the spirit of the anime, where none of this shit is actually taken seriously, so why should I? It's fine if you just can't laugh it off or the joke is distasteful to you, but in terms of intent, the series is aiming for comedy, not any sort of realism in regards to a toxic relationship. Of course, I'm not the type to get on a soapbox over cartoonish female on male violence to begin with, I'm pretty comfortable with Japanese sexism in anime by this point.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 4, 2023 5:55 PM
Mar 2021
Now all characters must be perfect? That a character has flaws, whether small or large, is a problem? What a mature way to judge a fictional show.
LoayzaOct 4, 2023 5:58 PM
Oct 4, 2023 5:57 PM
Aug 2021
bro it's anime,it is supposed to be treated in comedy
and she is better than any other tsundere high school romance anime girl, atleast she got her redemption in horimiya piece
like one Sakura punched Naruto across the city for no reason
Oct 4, 2023 6:16 PM
Feb 2021
Yeah, Hori is one of my biggest problems with this show. She is super toxic, it’s honestly pretty hard to watch sometimes. The parts I really liked were, funny enough, the bits where she WASN’T THERE!!

And for the people saying “it’s fiction” that is no excuse for how insufferable she is. It’s hard to to find the show comedic when 90% of the time she’s beyond annoying.
Oct 4, 2023 7:57 PM
May 2022
People do talk about bad things in a fun way isn't it the same just representation in an anime which is not even focused on it
Oct 4, 2023 8:18 PM
Jan 2021
I like the anime, but so many romances go with the trope of like “we’re different than society,” “be yourself,” “discard gender roles,” but then completely get rid of that in like the 3rd ep. Like, in this anime, Miyamura completely changes into the cool dude, completely disregarding the point of him being different.

But yeah, I don’t really care for like the BDSM thing
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Oct 4, 2023 9:33 PM
Aug 2021
I didn't mind it in S1 but it got kinda disturbing at some points in this one. Sometimes, in an exaggerated context, it can be taken as comedy, but for some reason the authors decided to make her an overreacting nutcase. I am usually numb to Japanese sexism but there were a few eps this season where all I could think was "whoah, she's a walking red flag"
Oct 4, 2023 9:37 PM
Nov 2021
well, that's the point of their relationship. Miyamura is simply "fixing her" however you have to keep in mind that it's a continuous process, such character development can't be done in a span of a few episodes. IRL it could take dozens of months
Oct 4, 2023 10:17 PM
Aug 2021
Yeah I never liked her💀💀 in my case though I absolutely hate tsunderes so there was no chance I’d like her to start with lol
Oct 4, 2023 10:50 PM
Aug 2021
I kind of agree with you but really it's an anime and we have to treat it like that if a person is like hori in real life then sure it is problem but in anime it's for comedy purposes and I don't think without hori and her behaviour the anime will reach where it is now. There personality differences makes it much more enjoyable.
Oct 5, 2023 1:40 AM
Aug 2023
100% right, the fact that he had to hit her against his will was strange and disturbing, later in S2 Miyamura says something like this time I will stand up to her and won't apologize to her for something I didn't do and ends up apologizing to the hysterical Hori anyway. At the beginning it was a sweet relationship, I liked the fact that they didn't hide anything from each other and talked about their problems, but later it went in a strange direction. Run Miyamura run!
Oct 5, 2023 2:38 AM
Mar 2021
She is the worst part of the show. Thankfully, other characters are great otherwise I wouldnt have watched this anime.
I am not that sensitive to not get the joke, and I get everyone is flawed but she shows no character development and the show shrugs everything toxic that she does under a rug and plays it as a joke.
Oct 5, 2023 2:42 AM

Apr 2012
She's almost canonically toxic, as even the characters themselves or even the author joke about it. As far as I remember, the generally accepted opinion in the fandom is that the only thing that prevents her from being felt as an objective abuser and gaslighter is her female gender. If Miyamura were a girl and Hori a guy, then this show would cross a lot of red lines for Western viewers.
Oct 5, 2023 4:28 AM

Apr 2022
calm down son, it's just a drawing. plus i prefer dominant, and most women irl are constantly jealous so they nailed that part.
Oct 5, 2023 4:45 AM

May 2015
Yes, that's what bothers me too, I don't like Hori and the way romance portrayed. Miyamura deserves better. While not every relationship has to be perfect, the fact the issues are played as a joke and always brushed off is the problem.
Oct 5, 2023 5:31 AM

Apr 2016
Reply to LostSpectre
No? I take it in the spirit of the anime, where none of this shit is actually taken seriously, so why should I? It's fine if you just can't laugh it off or the joke is distasteful to you, but in terms of intent, the series is aiming for comedy, not any sort of realism in regards to a toxic relationship. Of course, I'm not the type to get on a soapbox over cartoonish female on male violence to begin with, I'm pretty comfortable with Japanese sexism in anime by this point.
@LostSpectre Only that is not aiming for comedy.

This manga is everything but comedy, more of a pseudo intellectual relationship drama, that has one problem, the main girl. Not to mention that she is the main reason people complain about this manga since like chapter 40 or something.

She is an unbearable cow.
Oct 5, 2023 6:24 AM
Jan 2023
Jollyne7 said:
I like that in Horimiya that we have a relationship shown almost immediately, compared to other bland romances, but I have a problem with Hori. Don't you think she's toxic? It pains me a bit that all her bad behavior in this anime is treated as a joke. She is constantly jealous, often aggressive and dominant. In episode 10, when she made a fuss with Miyamura about him 'smelling' of another boy, when he didn't even know what it was about, and then she PUNCHED him in the face, I was like: bitch, wtf?. Then she got offended and Miyamura, AS ALWAYS, was the first to apologize to her. Unfortunately, he gets pushed around a lot. He's too soft for her. Even her father or their friends notice her strange behavior, but no one except the green-haired girl pays attention to it. They prefer to stay away from it.
She is often nice etc. but how can I like her after the events where she beats her boyfriend for no reason? And her fetishes. The fact that she has such a fetish doesn't bother me, but the next problem is that she "forces" it on Miyamura. Miyamura has mentioned many times that he doesn't like beating her and doesn't want to do it, but ultimately to please her he does it anyway. (and then he complains to his friends that Hori is forcing him to do strange things again, and of course, as usual, it is turned into a joke).
For example, the situation with her brother. As if she couldn't tell him something calmly, she immediately screams, making him cry. Did she realize how she was behaving? Yes, has she changed anything in her behavior? NO

She's just a different character, which don't match at all with your ideals, fantasy etc. Ofc, most people including me get annoyed about it but the show showed that someone can even accept someone like her. Besides, I would say she's the most realistic anime character who reflect the real world a lot more, unlike other female characters which are seem to be brought out from someone's fantasy and can't be related at all most of the times. And about that she enjoys getting beaten sometimes.. I don't think that's weird I actually saw some girls who like getting scolded and all irl. Yes, she's a toxic character but that's what makes it fun, since she's so much realistic.
Oct 5, 2023 8:43 AM
Jan 2022
So many self reports in this thread
Oct 5, 2023 8:43 AM
Aug 2023
I was waiting for someone to say it
Oct 5, 2023 9:11 AM
Sep 2010
I just love this thread. It's drama itself.
Oct 5, 2023 9:44 AM

May 2017
yeah its pretty odd. It's behaviour that we would see in reality from someone who had a rough upbringing. someone who wasn't taught how to manage their emotions and never learned how to take responsibility for their actions or what they said to people... but Hori's family life was not shown as toxic or neglectful... actually, she calls her dad by his first name, so maybe she really didn't grow up with a familial connection to her parents. I don't think we learn that much about jt in the anime, I don't remember the 1st season very well.

the behaviour you outlined in this season are definitely red flags for me, I was shocked too
Oct 5, 2023 10:59 AM
May 2020
ye I don't like her she's so clingy and gets jealous really easily
Oct 5, 2023 1:44 PM
Mar 2021
R-laplase said:
Jollyne7 said:

She's just a different character, which don't match at all with your ideals, fantasy etc. Ofc, most people including me get annoyed about it but the show showed that someone can even accept someone like her. Besides, I would say she's the most realistic anime character who reflect the real world a lot more, unlike other female characters which are seem to be brought out from someone's fantasy and can't be related at all most of the times. And about that she enjoys getting beaten sometimes.. I don't think that's weird I actually saw some girls who like getting scolded and all irl. Yes, she's a toxic character but that's what makes it fun, since she's so much realistic.

I agree that jealousy and her quirks with wanting to be dominated and etc are realistic since she is not portrayed as this perfect anime girl that we usually see. What is not realistic is the fact that her actions have no consequences. In addition, her relationship with Miyamura is supposed to be one the “goals” for viewers. We are expected to root for them. However, it is Miyamura who always has to change and accept her behavior. If it were for Hori, Miyamura just wouldnt have guy friends unless you count those who Hori approves. So here is where that realism with Hori ends.

Well I would like to conclude with that every one watches this show for their own reasons. If we wouldnt like it we would not watch it. For some it is the Hori and Miyamura relationship and for others it is the relationships of side characters and their antics.
Oct 5, 2023 1:46 PM
Jul 2020
Tbh, I want hori-san to abuse me.
Oct 5, 2023 2:46 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to Swagernator
@LostSpectre Only that is not aiming for comedy.

This manga is everything but comedy, more of a pseudo intellectual relationship drama, that has one problem, the main girl. Not to mention that she is the main reason people complain about this manga since like chapter 40 or something.

She is an unbearable cow.
@Swagernator Piece is literally all SOL comedy, what are you even saying right now?
LostSpectreOct 5, 2023 2:49 PM
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 5, 2023 3:17 PM
Dec 2022
Aisug01_04 said:
100% right, the fact that he had to hit her against his will was strange and disturbing, later in S2 Miyamura says something like this time I will stand up to her and won't apologize to her for something I didn't do and ends up apologizing to the hysterical Hori anyway. At the beginning it was a sweet relationship, I liked the fact that they didn't hide anything from each other and talked about their problems, but later it went in a strange direction. Run Miyamura run!

Omg that part bothered me so much bc I was really hoping he wouldn’t apologize. That sounds like the beginning of an abusive relationship. Sure it’s not fiction but I still can’t condone that behavior regardless of the setting.
Oct 5, 2023 9:32 PM

May 2022
huh.... damn y didn't i ever realised that...MAYBE COZ sHe iS cUtE🤡🤡🗿
Oct 5, 2023 11:42 PM
Feb 2020
Hori's actions were not meant to be taken seriously. all "toxic" attitudes are treated as jokes by the anime itself.
Oct 6, 2023 12:40 AM

Apr 2016
Reply to LostSpectre
@Swagernator Piece is literally all SOL comedy, what are you even saying right now?
@LostSpectre No it's a shounen to begin with.
Oct 6, 2023 10:26 AM
Oct 2021
Jollyne7 said:

so many languages in this world but this dude decided to speak straight up facts 🗣️
Oct 6, 2023 10:59 PM
Jul 2023
I think Hori is toxic but that's just it, outside of Miyamura she was never sent to have any I'll intentions towards any of her friends, what I think is that her toxicity shows that she's comfortable around Miya, that's just my opinion though 🙏
Nov 7, 2023 3:04 PM

Mar 2009
I agree she should never be hitting him. I can't believe the show has the friends and everyone treating that stuff like a joke.
Nov 11, 2023 8:23 AM

Sep 2019
She's fine. People are such pussies today lol
I'm not reading any replies or comments directed at me at all. I know my truth and if you disagree: that's fine but i couldn't give a damn about :)

Nov 26, 2023 9:18 AM

May 2009
Reply to Swagernator
@LostSpectre No it's a shounen to begin with.
@Swagernator Shounen doesn't mean anything except from manga being serialized in shounen magazine.
Nov 26, 2023 11:07 PM

Apr 2016
Reply to bastek66
@Swagernator Shounen doesn't mean anything except from manga being serialized in shounen magazine.
@bastek66 And also being trash.
Nov 27, 2023 12:56 AM

May 2009
Reply to Swagernator
@bastek66 And also being trash.
@Swagernator Same can be said about visual novels.
Jan 20, 8:21 AM
May 2021
Shhhhhhh don't let the diehard fans hear you! They'll insult you and call you a retard because you don't think their precious Hori is perfect in every way!
Jan 20, 8:21 AM
May 2021
Shhhhhhh don't let the diehard fans hear you! They'll insult you and call you a r3t4rd because you don't think their precious Hori is perfect in every way!
Jan 20, 8:37 AM
May 2021
Reply to Sajonji
@Sajonji You say this crap but I guarantee you wouldn't like to be pushed around like Miyamura is lmao. I hope you keep this same energy if your girl punches you in the face for no reason LMAO
May 2021
Reply to Sajonji
@Sajonji You say this crap but I guarantee you wouldn't like to be pushed around like Miyamura is lmao. I hope you keep this same energy if your girl punches you in the face for no reason LMAO
May 2021
Reply to Sajonji
Jan 20, 8:41 AM
May 2021
Reply to Sajonji
@Sajonji You say this garbage but I guarantee you wouldn't like to be pushed around like Miyamura is lmao. I hope you keep this same energy if your girl punches you in the face for no reason LMAO
Apr 14, 5:22 AM

Apr 2013
I feel like she got worse in this spin-off, I did not notice her violent nature that much in season 1. This time she really sometimes got angry at people for basically nothing, it was a bit annoying.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Horimiya: Piece Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2023

73 by TamirSins »»
Apr 30, 6:30 AM

Poll: » Horimiya: Piece Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2023

176 by Jjf06 »»
Apr 27, 8:22 AM

Poll: » Horimiya: Piece Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2023

106 by mauacedeiros »»
Apr 14, 5:54 PM

Poll: » Horimiya: Piece Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Sep 16, 2023

85 by Gator »»
Apr 14, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Horimiya: Piece Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2023

64 by Gator »»
Apr 13, 5:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.