Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 14, 2023 10:36 AM

Apr 2021
Or rather how does binge reading affect the enjoyment of manga. If reading it in quicker pace some details are left out.
There are manga I feel are better to read faster, since pacing is faster, example Chainsaw man and Sakamoto days.

What do you think?
Sep 14, 2023 12:41 PM

Aug 2021
usually i dont binge, i read max 2 volumes in one sitting, cuz most of the time, even if the mangas good im just over it after that much reading, i need a break
but if i binge it means thats its like a really fkn intense experience, so i have positive assosiations with binging, yeah it seems a little hedonistic but when its like a really good fkn story i just dont wanna stop i wanna be on that wave, if i stopped and continued tomorrow i wouldnt be on the same wave length, i wouldnt be so hyper about it, or u know - high off the manga

and binging doesnt necessarily mean i turn pages as fast as possible, sometimes i speed up, sometimes i savor the scene for a while, sometimes when its so hard hitting i will reread couple pages to have another hit u know

i think im describing this in a weird way but yeah it kind of is like that
Sep 14, 2023 12:45 PM
Jul 2018
Honestly, if the manga it's finished, I would binge read it, since I'm impatient to find out what it's next even if I need breaks lol. While if it's a running one, probably I would wait for it to end or have couple of volumes so I could read at my own pace until it's ending.
Sep 14, 2023 2:23 PM

Jul 2008
Like above, if it's finished publishing, then the best way to enjoy a manga is to binge it (ie. read it all the way through without long breaks). I've noticed in many chapter discussion threads, particularly for manga published monthly or longer, the early commenters who are reading chapters as they're released are often frustrated and annoyed by pace. The latter commenters, on the other hand, who have started reading the manga after completion or at least have several chapters to read through at their own leisure, are much more invested. Manga (and anything, really) reads a lot better without pauses. It's easy to forget context, details, character, etc. In many of the Berserk threads, when there would be only a couple of chapters a year, so many commenters lose their patience with the pace and trickle of content. It's understandable; all these breaks slowly pull you out of the series. The latter commenters who don't have to deal with months of waiting are totally different in tone and overall much more agreeable. It's why I typically don't follow monthly manga anymore.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Sep 14, 2023 2:49 PM

Apr 2022
It depends on the manga imho.

If its built around a coherent story like Imawa no Kuni no Alice or Tokyo Ghoul the experience gets better by binging, because you get more immersed.

But if it has no story and is more slice-of-life'ish like Yotsuba and Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou, I prefer to read a chapter once in a while when I have some time.
Sep 14, 2023 3:33 PM

Feb 2016
I put Mao on hold because it's not actually enjoyable to read each chapter as it is published.
その目だれの目?
Sep 14, 2023 6:38 PM
Mar 2017
Yes and no. With comedies sure jokes may become less interesting if gags or you get used to the flow of the writing maybe of a story for a drama/romance or new jokes appearing. Emotional highs and lows. Flow changing for the art/themes happening.

With others maybe I guess if the major battles or major slice of life/romance moments or whatever happen. Whatever drama you do or don't care about reading.

Depends. Many I've read to catch up if I am compelled to. Usually short chapter ones you can easily binge a few. Come back and if it's worth reading for story/art/humour/whatever then sure.

Will long running it depends on the chapters, what events, what things are presented to really make me go yeah I want to, and yeah I want to take my time with it (especially if bought a volume and valuing it read/sitting between reading then reading online), or because I just don't care enough to binge it.
Sep 14, 2023 9:59 PM

Aug 2010
In general I find binging to be more enjoyable, especially for those with continuous story because it will keep my hype(?) without cliffhangers stopping - which can be frustrating for me whose pretty impatient to know what happens next. May even lessen the enjoyment if I wait because the hype also lost.

There's some series I find hard to binge though, it's the more episodic in nature that have really long texts/dialogues. Something like Witch Watch by Shinohara Kenta. Even reading just a few chapters without stopping is tiring so I don't think I'd enjoy binging this. May lost a lot of details too if so. I don't encounter someting like this often though.
Sep 14, 2023 10:58 PM

Jan 2023
It really depends.
I think the pace at which I will read such and such manga comes naturally depending on the type of story: any good romcom/romance I will enjoy very slowly (1 or 2 chapters a day), while I will generally read an entire gag manga volume (4-koma) in less than a couple hours probably.
Sep 15, 2023 1:28 AM

May 2018
Personally I read a few chapters of several mangas per session and I don't binge. Binge reading is nice for like a one volume manga but I personally like to take my time with what I'm reading since I'm constantly reading dozens of different titles at once.
Sep 15, 2023 1:34 AM

Feb 2017
Depends on the manga. I binge when it's a completed manga that I find very interesting and excited to see what happens next. An example of a manga that I binged was One Outs. If it's 4-koma or episodic like Saiki Kusuo no Psi-nan, no need to binge at all.
Best ending line in anime history = "My name is Saiki Kusuo. I am a psychic."
Sep 15, 2023 2:24 AM

Jan 2021
If you read faster then you can miss out details but that is unrelated to binge reading.
I usually only binge read a certain manga if it's completed or has plenty of released chapters. Other wise I read some chapters or a volume of a manga then move on to the next one.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Sep 16, 2023 2:22 AM

Jun 2020
Absolutely not, at least not for me, anyways. Binge-reading manga is how I've read 95% of manga in my lifetime to begin with.

By nature I'm an extremely impatient person. I just can't bring myself to read sporadically, especially when I know the manga's already finished. My brain just keeps eating at me until I see how it ends lol. Also, because my internet sucks ass, I normally download entire series at once to enjoy while offline.

Truthfully, I could read, like, 3 full manga in a day and it still wouldn't kill my enjoyment, because that's just how I've been reading for so long. Even when it comes to 4-koma and non-linear stories (completed, however,) I can still binge-read them if they're good enough for me to keep reading to begin with.
Sep 20, 2023 10:40 PM

Jul 2014
Almost two years ago, I fell off of reading the newest One Piece chapters. It wasn't intentional, but once I stopped checking Viz every Sunday for the newest chapter it became extremely easy to just keep putting it off. Well, this past weekend, I was bored and decided to catch up. My god, it was one hell of a ride to just binge read 70 chapters of this manga. So much emotion. So many awesome fights. It was totally worth the wait. I was totally enraptured. Even more so because I also watched some of the anime's adaptations of the major moments in the Raid on Onigashima. It was hype as hell. It is painful having to once again wait a week or two (given Oda's issues with illness and overwork) for the next chapter.

In general, I read most of my manga in physical collected volumes. As such, I almost always binge read whatever manga I've just bought. Ultimately, enjoyment is going to be dependent on how well the mangaka(s) is/are at telling and illustrating their story. One Piece is the only manga I read weekly. All the others, I just wait for the physical volumes to be released. I find that is more enjoyable to read them that way. I only read One Piece weekly online because the story is way too good for me to be six months behind.

Anyway, I think binging a manga can be really fun just like it can be for an anime. Not to mention it goes by much faster than watching a 20-minute episode of anime.
Sep 21, 2023 5:15 PM

Dec 2019
Personally I find binging to be more enjoyable. That's mostly since when I read a manga, if I like it I wanna keep going, but if I have to read it weekly or monthly it becomes such a slog to get through. I'm already following manga like Bungou stray dogs monthly and that's really killing my hype given how the story's going right now.
RaverzSep 21, 2023 9:03 PM
"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."
-Kino's Journey
Sep 21, 2023 5:32 PM

Sep 2017
There's a certain meme among the JoJo fandom which most of you probably know about, I'm talking about the infamous "Araki forgot". Some of the stuff there, they really were plot holes; but most others(especially in part 7 and 8) were the result of monthly gaps between each chapter and manga readers forgetting certain small details. They'd later just attribute those stuff to Araki and say he forgot them while in reality, had they binge read the chapters, it'd have been obvious.
So yeah I think there's nothing wrong with binge reading especially when only one chapter gets released every month or even worse, when you have a lazy mangaka. I'm still scared off of going for ongoing mangas.
خ
Sep 21, 2023 10:09 PM

May 2020
Meh, I like binge reading. Its way more easier to remember plot points and small details while binge reading because not much time will have passed by the time you get to newer chapters. This is especially true for long running manga.
Sep 22, 2023 2:37 PM

Aug 2019
Yeah, it does depend on the manga. I find that dense, sometimes long series were usually ruined for me because I binge read them and they are not meant to be binge read, but I wanted to make consistent progress so I kept up a relentless pace that then added to my lack of enjoyment of the series. However, I can count on one hand (or maybe two) the number of times that has happened. Most manga series aren't ruined by binge reading for me.
Sep 23, 2023 2:20 AM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
Binge reading manga is THE way of reading manga.
That, or wait up to two months for a chapter and pray you still remember the plot.

CURRENT: semi-hiatus (busy)

Sep 23, 2023 3:35 AM

Dec 2020
i feel it's weird to think on because when i take my time i def remember the plot and characters much better as opposed to binging it in a few days,
but i think i kind of prefer having the quick burst enjoyment of reading through it now than later though (whether intentional or not sometimes i just can't put the book down) i don't think it ruins it at all, it's just another way of reading the story.

keeping up with weekly and monthly releases is kind of hard to keep track sometimes and there's cases where i forget whats happened and need to reread chapters, waiting for it to complete and binging it is much better imo
I like Közi a healthy amount.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
This is no joke I'm really going to do it this time.
Sep 23, 2023 5:30 AM

Jan 2020
Reply to Touka
Like above, if it's finished publishing, then the best way to enjoy a manga is to binge it (ie. read it all the way through without long breaks). I've noticed in many chapter discussion threads, particularly for manga published monthly or longer, the early commenters who are reading chapters as they're released are often frustrated and annoyed by pace. The latter commenters, on the other hand, who have started reading the manga after completion or at least have several chapters to read through at their own leisure, are much more invested. Manga (and anything, really) reads a lot better without pauses. It's easy to forget context, details, character, etc. In many of the Berserk threads, when there would be only a couple of chapters a year, so many commenters lose their patience with the pace and trickle of content. It's understandable; all these breaks slowly pull you out of the series. The latter commenters who don't have to deal with months of waiting are totally different in tone and overall much more agreeable. It's why I typically don't follow monthly manga anymore.
@Touka This is a very good point, and it might explain why i sometimes get a little frustrated by stories when i don't quite understand everything that's going on. Typically even for finished manga i would only read maybe a volume, or a couple of chapters a day, but i've started to feel as if i should try just binging more things in the future, so i don't forget important plot details and whatnot.

𝘐𝘵'𝘴 𝘯𝘰 𝘶𝘴𝘦 𝘨𝘰𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘵𝘰 𝘺𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘥𝘢𝘺, 𝘣𝘦𝘤𝘢𝘶𝘴𝘦 𝘪 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘢 𝙙𝙞𝙛𝙛𝙚𝙧𝙚𝙣𝙩 𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙨𝙤𝙣 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘯 - 𝘓𝘦𝘸𝘪𝘴 𝘊𝘢𝘳𝘳𝘰𝘭𝘭

Sep 23, 2023 7:34 AM

Aug 2010
It depends on the manga, but I do think binging increases the odds of missing important info.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Sep 23, 2023 1:56 PM

Oct 2020
I prefer binge reading, but I admit some stories are better read with breaks in between.
Sep 23, 2023 10:58 PM

Oct 2013
I don't think so, as long as you don't force yourself to read as many chapters at once as it's possible. It's mostly the case with series that are already finished, or are ongoing, but with a lot of chapters.

Where it might be a serious issue, though? I think mostly when it comes to mangas that have irregular release schedule, like Berserk. After binging almost 400 chapters someone might feel down to see, let's say, few chapters (circa 20 pages long each) released per year.

Yumerei said:
That, or wait up to two months for a chapter and pray you still remember the plot.
Oh, that kind of breaks are no big deal, to be fair. On the other, hiatuses lasting for a long time, counted in years, like in Saint Seiya: Next Dimension's case... now they can be problematic for viewers, since in many cases - which is normal - they need to remember what was happening in the chapters prior the hiatus' start.
AdnashSep 23, 2023 11:01 PM
Sep 23, 2023 11:29 PM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
Reply to Adnash
I don't think so, as long as you don't force yourself to read as many chapters at once as it's possible. It's mostly the case with series that are already finished, or are ongoing, but with a lot of chapters.

Where it might be a serious issue, though? I think mostly when it comes to mangas that have irregular release schedule, like Berserk. After binging almost 400 chapters someone might feel down to see, let's say, few chapters (circa 20 pages long each) released per year.

Yumerei said:
Oh, that kind of breaks are no big deal, to be fair. On the other, hiatuses lasting for a long time, counted in years, like in Saint Seiya: Next Dimension's case... now they can be problematic for viewers, since in many cases - which is normal - they need to remember what was happening in the chapters prior the hiatus' start.
Adnash said:

That kind of "break" automatically goes to the "on hold" section for me. See Hunter x Hunter lol.

CURRENT: semi-hiatus (busy)

Sep 28, 2023 3:16 PM

Jan 2016
Of course not. Binge reading makes me immerse myself in the story and characters without long breaks in between. I do that only when I'm too much into the story. If not, It means I didn't find the story that good or it is currently been updated. Imagine binge reading a sports manga. You can see the main character's growth as a player without interruptions. Hajime no Ippo, for example, is a long-running sports manga that follows Ippo Makunouchi, a high school student with talent for boxing. Binge reading Hajime no Ippo can be a way to fully immerse in the world of boxing and Ippo's journey, besides I can appreciate the ever changing story and character development.
-YUMMY-Sep 28, 2023 4:39 PM
Sep 28, 2023 3:43 PM

Feb 2018
I actually feel the opposite for Chainsaw Man. That series is very easy to speed-read through and miss on details. I enjoyed it a lot more when I went through it again and read slower.
I think the problem with binge reading, at least for me, is that you focus so much on "catching up" or finishing the manga. If I'm in a longer reading session I might read slow for the first 10-15 chapters, but for the next 10-15 I'll start skimming more and even catch myself glancing at the bottom left panel.

It also just depends on the manga. In general, a chapter of Rent-A-Girlfriend is going to go by way shorter than a chapter of Berserk. It also is going to have less detail needed for the story. I think for more laid back manga that's just slice of life, harem, ecchi etc. binge reading probably isn't a big deal. The details of those stories often aren't that important, even if you do miss them. For manga with story and characters you are more invested in, it's probably better to slow down a bit.

Reading sessions also vary for different people. Some people read a few chapters a day and consider that a lot. At the same time, I saw a comment saying they read 600 chapters of Kingdom in one day, which is just insane to me. I couldn't imagine reading that much in one day while also retaining all of the information.
Sep 29, 2023 11:32 AM

Mar 2022
No? I think reading manga in chunks is a lot more fun.
The siren of a flightless bird

Quietly destroying its cage

Dance, until tonight, with a raised voice-

For I don't want to lose hope!

-Utsuro wo Aogu, Vivid BAS SQUAD
Sep 29, 2023 12:30 PM

Jul 2010
To binge-read series in a few days rather than weeks or even months make it less likely for them to get into long-term memories. Essentially, you forget about them more easily. But I can't see at all how binge-reading can badly affect the reading experience. If anything, it makes it better as you can more easily pinpoint plot holes or clues.

If anything, OP got binge-reading and speed-reading mixed up. Binge-read mostly mean (from my own definition at least) to read something without stopping for an extended period of time. You can binge-read and still take your time to understand a story.
Oct 11, 2023 12:47 PM

Jan 2014
Used to binge but I now read a couple of chapters each day. I'm a pretty slow reader and like to take in every detail as much as possible so I enjoy the story more. It was the same for anime too when I was younger, but now I like to watch and episode or two each day and process the information throughout the day. The last time I binged a manga was Chainsaw Man.
New Life
Oct 19, 2023 10:33 AM

Apr 2023
I dont think that has any measurable effect at all.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

388 by DeBritto »»
17 minutes ago

» 50,000 Manga Titles Translated by AI Are Set to Come Overseas

deg - 8 hours ago

5 by Lucifrost »»
60 minutes ago

» Name of this manhwa?

Notadmin - 1 hour ago

0 by Notadmin »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » why do some people hate manhwa/ua so much???

FruitPunchBaka - 10 hours ago

5 by Zarutaku »»
2 hours ago

» Oricon's 2023 Yearly Comic Sales Ranking - Top 50

deg - May 1

3 by ST63LTH »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.