Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 7, 2023 5:03 PM

Oct 2013
What a beautiful ending. Soothing, nostalgic, full of tranquility. Seiichi has clearly managed to fully conquer his trauma. Sure, there are still scars on his heart that will probably never cede to exist. But they seem distant and blurry, just as his memory of the face of his mother.

Of all manga titles created by Oshimi-sensei that I'm familiar with, this ending has huge chances to become my favorite one.
Sep 8, 2023 12:07 AM
Dec 2020
Great ending. I loved the whole manga, it's life changing.
Sep 8, 2023 2:35 AM
Apr 2011
Yeah seichi lived a normal life bittersweet
Sep 8, 2023 8:48 AM
Apr 2019
This was absolutely one hell of a ride, even thought I'm not sure what to think of this ending, but it looks like Seichi was fine in the end (?)
Sep 8, 2023 3:51 PM

Mar 2020
god DAMN what a good ending
oyasumi punpun header | Goodnight punpun, Oyasumi punpun, Cute wallpapers
Sep 9, 2023 10:52 AM
Jan 2021
WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?

What a waste of time and potential. Jesus Christ.

We still don´t know who really pushed the cousing or anything. The mom got away, he lived a fu**ng sad life... he didn´t resolve nothing, no development, NOTHING.
Sep 9, 2023 12:16 PM

Jun 2017
Loved it. Sei has finally found inner peace and had his trauma healed. Loved how he's unable to imagine his mother's face anymore.
Sep 9, 2023 2:21 PM
May 2022
As an epilogue it's nice, it was a good idea to conclude the story in that fashion, but the whole ending still feels deceiving. Would have been perfect if that final chapter was taking place after a more meaningfully conducted final arc.

That post-timeskip part was interesting overall and not bad in itself, but still feels like a let down considering the path Shuzo chose to take, especially for the last chapters where Seiko is dying, felt underwhelming and too easy/quick of an exit for the manga, especially after that night when mom and son seemed to finally find a common understanding, which was a high point for the story.

It's possible that I change my mind while re-reading it in volumes later, but this is my current opinion as everything went down.
Sep 9, 2023 3:29 PM
May 2023
It was disappointing
Sep 9, 2023 3:29 PM

Mar 2018
The ending was very peculiar to me...
After all this time invested in this manga, it felt bizarre.
Sep 9, 2023 4:24 PM
Jan 2020
InitialDDDD said:
As an epilogue it's nice, it was a good idea to conclude the story in that fashion, but the whole ending still feels deceiving. Would have been perfect if that final chapter was taking place after a more meaningfully conducted final arc.

That post-timeskip part was interesting overall and not bad in itself, but still feels like a let down considering the path Shuzo chose to take, especially for the last chapters where Seiko is dying, felt underwhelming and too easy/quick of an exit for the manga, especially after that night when mom and son seemed to finally find a common understanding, which was a high point for the story.

It's possible that I change my mind while re-reading it in volumes later, but this is my current opinion as everything went down.

THIS! Correct, I feel the same way. This will be a re-read for me at some point. This had potential for a 9 or 10 but overall I’m currently rating it an 8. Sad to see Oshimi end both his mangas so close to each other. I wonder if he wanted to take a break or just has a new idea for his next work already.
Sep 9, 2023 4:57 PM

May 2008
This manga really messed me up. It's such a psychological trip. It's sad and disturbing. Finally it's over..what a ride.

Sep 9, 2023 6:06 PM

Dec 2021
that's it? that's the last chapter?

it's just the mc running errands and forgetting who his mama was
"Tits don't make the woman. It's the ass." - Darx
Sep 9, 2023 8:21 PM

Mar 2015
It was a good ending that followed a bad lead-up to it. The pacing after the time-skip was pretty bad, but maybe it won't seem so bad upon a re-read at my own pace rather than the long waits between chapters. This is reminiscent of Aku no Hana in its structure, that all the drama was front-loaded and the fallout was uneventful yet thought-provoking. I still feel it was a really good manga, just kind of disappointed that it went out with a whimper. Even so, the ending chapter was perfect. 8/10, will re-read once all the English volumes arrive.
My lists are way out of date...
Sep 9, 2023 11:45 PM
Jun 2023
I never thought I could be satisfied with this type of ending but the way the story went I am more than happy with this ending.
Sep 10, 2023 12:24 AM

May 2015
It was a great ending. What a tragic story it was. There's just one minor thing I didn't get, I don't recall if it was explained or left ambiguous, but what was the deal with the dead cat? Did Seiko kill it or does it just symbolize something else?
ren_moonSep 10, 2023 4:36 AM
Sep 10, 2023 2:23 AM

Jul 2021
Love the ending, teared up. Literally. This type of ending is quite sentimental, especially for Seichii, having his trauma all broken and now he got to live his life with no more chains until the day it lasts.. I'll say though, the post-time skip gradually made me wonder what the series could've done more with its own ideas because a lot of questions remains unanswered. I sure hope I have time to re-read everything from start to finish to understand the story clearer. I'm not the biggest fan of Oshimi-sensei but 3 of his works I've read (Including this) is pretty solid, thus, far. Looking forward to any other of his works in the future.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Sep 10, 2023 2:38 AM

Jul 2010
It's a good chapter in somewhat dissapointing ending.

Seiichi deserved better. I am not saying one needs a wife and kids to be happy, obv- but we literally know nothing about the lifestyle he had after his mom's death. What is his passion? Does he have friends?? Hobbies? Ummmmmm he likes reading books... okay, that counts, I guess :/
He's a lifeless old shell and the only comforting thing is "I don't remember my mom's face anymore", wow dude... it would mean something if you weren't 60-70 already...
As @InitialDDDD said, it was an easy exit for author to wrap up things instead of coming up with creative ways to push the narrative.

150 chapters of pure torture and 3 chapters of somewhat comfort, what a joke. If the morale of the story is "your parents don't determine your life path, you can survive through abuse and come up as a better person", then Oshimi fell flat on delivering that. And not like every story NEEDS a morale, it can just be entertaining, but I've felt it had more potential for a domestic horror/thriller and wasn't too happy with the direction author chose.

Very, very strong start, borderline 10/10, easy 9/10, lost a lot of interest after time-skip, now it's kinda 6.5-7/10.
Sep 10, 2023 4:07 AM
Apr 2017
That ending felt incomplete. It was too short for a conclusion.
Sep 10, 2023 4:28 AM

May 2014
Honestly, i don't get what was the deal with his childhood trauma ;
Did his mother tried to kill him when he was a child? Who killed the cat?
Who killed his cousin? Who pushed down his cousin? His morher? Was it him and he imagined it to be his mother?
Sep 10, 2023 6:05 AM

Jun 2021
Seichi had a terrible past. But we can finally move on from that now that it's all gone. After his mother's death, it seemed like he lived alone all those years... But that independence, he carried on up to this point. In the remaining days of his life, he'll continue to live without any more regrets. Now that he couldn't remember his mother's face, he realized and found peace in it. "How many years has it been?" I teared up from that part... Well, time really heals.

Although lackluster, I'm satisfied with the ending.
Sep 10, 2023 8:17 AM
Jun 2022
while the ending did feel a bit rushed, i’m glad seiichi was finally able to find peace and mundanity in his life… it’s bittersweet. he missed out on core developments of his life and his childhood because of his mother, but after all those years of suffering he’s now able to rest. happy for him. stunning manga

[font="\"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.[/font]

Sep 10, 2023 9:11 AM

Jan 2020
"What did he kill for" hmmmm did he kill his mother ?

Seichi didn't eat bun and he can't remember his mother's face anymore, a sign that he had moved on from his mother I guess.....

Looking back felt like Oshimi could have expand more on Seiko...to give more insight on some Seiko's crazy action....for instance when she pushed Shigeru off of a cliff....I mean sure she's pretty much an unwanted child as far as I can remember but was that enough to cause a person to push a relative off of a cliff out of....jealousy...protection...or hatred for Seichi's aunt...?

Well one of the better endings that Seichi could have instead of suicide I guess...however I had to say that the ending sure felt pretty abrupt.....over the last more or less 10 chapters I thought the plot was an initially lit fire.....alas it was a dying fire all along....
Sep 10, 2023 9:13 AM
Sep 2019
I'm kind of disappointed with this chapter
As a final one, it should have more dialogues (optional)
But I don't feel like Sei had his happy ending like Oshimi-sensei stories other protagonists
Overall, great story (probably my fav of all Oshimi's) with a bittersweet ending.
Sep 10, 2023 9:55 AM
Sep 2020
I feel this ending is the right way to end. But damn that ending quote of “could no longer remember mother’s face”. A line I surely won’t forget.

I will forever cherish this manga
Sep 10, 2023 9:57 AM
Sep 2020
Gorenko said:
The ending was very peculiar to me...
After all this time invested in this manga, it felt bizarre.

I believe that’s what the manga is trying to give intentionally. After all the torment he went through and now seeing he is having a relaxing time should give an odd feeling.

We are so used to him being manipulated and his life going down that we don’t ever see a time where he can relax. So of course this ending may seem odd and anti-climatic. Maybe even out of place
Sep 10, 2023 11:39 AM
Sep 2020
The final chapter feels too short and sort of lacks depth, but overall the theme was good. Good to see Seichi finally living a peaceful life.
Sep 10, 2023 2:25 PM
Sep 2012
I’m glad that Seichi is living a peaceful life after all the trauma he experienced! Overall, a good manga I guess! 7 or 8/10
C:UsersZhouPicturesProfile Picsi love manga.gif
Sep 11, 2023 12:31 AM
Jul 2023
Talk about misleading— and from the very first chapter too.

This manga could’ve been told in under 25 chapters, but it extends nearly 6x beyond that. Dragging you on a story where the middle segment has no meat to it and you’d understand just as much as someone who read every page a 100 times, while only reading the first and last chapter.
Sep 11, 2023 9:11 AM

Jan 2012
I feel really bad for Seichi, he lost pretty much everything he ever cared about and never really had a fair Chance. Crazy Parents really can ruin their Childs Life.
Sep 11, 2023 10:24 AM
Apr 2011
Reply to Eru_yabuki
I feel really bad for Seichi, he lost pretty much everything he ever cared about and never really had a fair Chance. Crazy Parents really can ruin their Childs Life.
@Eru_yabuki
At least he gotten over his trama and made peace with himself to the point of mostly forgetting his mom.
Sep 11, 2023 5:44 PM
Mar 2022
I liked it, he found peace.
Sep 12, 2023 4:17 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to Toxin456
@Eru_yabuki
At least he gotten over his trama and made peace with himself to the point of mostly forgetting his mom.
@Toxin456 Yup. Her visage, once carved in his mind and associated with overly idealized image of his mother, became unclear and foggy, as if it was a distant memory from the past, not that much important. Very good way to show how he managed to conquer the demons that have been tormenting his soul and heart for so long.
Sep 12, 2023 8:12 AM
Jun 2022
I have been following this manga since June 2020 and by god was this a ride, It was great seeing all you lads' comments and glad to see Seiichi at peace

have a good one
Sep 12, 2023 10:56 AM
Dec 2020
Reply to ren_moon
It was a great ending. What a tragic story it was. There's just one minor thing I didn't get, I don't recall if it was explained or left ambiguous, but what was the deal with the dead cat? Did Seiko kill it or does it just symbolize something else?
@ren_moon

The cat is Seiichi.

The first chapter the cat is at first shown killed and Seiichi wonders why is it dead. Later Seiichi remembers what happened that day right before they saw the cat so he says "the cat is me, killed and left behind"

The cat is just symbolism of Seiichis current state and his emotions ig for example later in story when mother mentions his name he snaps so the next panel we see cat angry or when the mother is searching for the cat she is searching for her son also, that moment he says the cat is gone like he was gone all these years but no she finds the cat. The cat is then inside like Seiichi.

And at the end when Seiichi finally understand why she did pushed him that day cat comes back to "life"
When the Seiichi leaves the house the cat also leaves with the head up.
Sep 12, 2023 11:35 AM

Aug 2022
This was an ending that didn't have much of an impact. Maybe I'll reread this manga in a few years and end up liking the ending, but for now, I'm still a bit disappointed...

My rating remains 10/10 because this manga really had a significant effect on me.

(my english is not very good, so please forgive me if there are any mistakes)
Sep 12, 2023 11:04 PM
Aug 2023
I'm glad it's ending, there's really no point to the manga with the mother dead.

I think the timeskip was the worst part of the manga for sure.
Sep 13, 2023 3:35 AM
Jul 2022
The ending is absolutely disappointing. The last few chapters are for nothing. His mom got away and he lived his life in depression, trauma and sadness, and now he is aged but he is all alone. Even though he seems fine now but this isn't satisfying. I am glad he cannot remember his mom's face though.
Sep 13, 2023 8:33 AM

May 2015
Reply to ArminH5
@ren_moon

The cat is Seiichi.

The first chapter the cat is at first shown killed and Seiichi wonders why is it dead. Later Seiichi remembers what happened that day right before they saw the cat so he says "the cat is me, killed and left behind"

The cat is just symbolism of Seiichis current state and his emotions ig for example later in story when mother mentions his name he snaps so the next panel we see cat angry or when the mother is searching for the cat she is searching for her son also, that moment he says the cat is gone like he was gone all these years but no she finds the cat. The cat is then inside like Seiichi.

And at the end when Seiichi finally understand why she did pushed him that day cat comes back to "life"
When the Seiichi leaves the house the cat also leaves with the head up.
@ArminH5 That's a good explanation. To be honest, I don't recall the details regarding the scenes when the cat appeared. I may re-read the whole thing one day. Thank you!
Sep 18, 2023 6:29 AM
Feb 2020
KanaeKazama said:
WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?

What a waste of time and potential. Jesus Christ.

We still don´t know who really pushed the cousing or anything. The mom got away, he lived a fu**ng sad life... he didn´t resolve nothing, no development, NOTHING.

Welcome to a story is very similar to real life
Sep 19, 2023 9:50 AM
Feb 2022
It's good to see Seiichi having a calm, and normal life after all. It was a good read.
Sep 21, 2023 3:53 AM
Aug 2020
Good ending, just the other day I read that children from disfuncional families usually only feel relieved and start their lifes after their parents die, so in that sense it was very realistic. I'm glad seichi managed to get over his trauma and his mother, and the "when you're killed like this you end up killing others part" was also very well put. I'm glad he and mother managed to find some common ground and make peace, even though it was partly in Seichis mind it partly wasn't. He managed to forgive her and overcome her, Seichi had a total victory. Sure, he had a lonely life, but managed to extract some piece and enjoyment from it, which considering his situation, its quite a lot. I'm satisfied with this conclusion, very good.
Sep 23, 2023 8:06 PM

Nov 2014
I think it was a realistic ending, i wasn't expecting a perfect or a super cheerful end to this story, just the fact that he was able to "move on" and find some kind of peace is enough for me. I found really impactful the blurry image of his mother's face.
Oct 1, 2023 12:26 AM

Apr 2021
I liked this ending. I think it offers a realistic yet optimistic future outlook for trauma survivors who are wondering if they'll ever be able to live a normal life again. I always thought that forgetting things and becoming indifferent towards them are good indicators of truly moving on. We watched Seichi as he went through the whole process of trauma: not just the trauma itself, but also the anger and depression following it, and then even epiphany. Some may think that the last bit would make a better ending, but I disagree - because even then, he was still deeply emotionally connected to his mother. I really appreciate that the author took the story further to show us the final stage of Seichi processing his trauma, the "life after Mom": Seichi becomes an old man living a simple life, seemingly emotionally detached from his past. He's finally completely free from his mother's hold on his life.
Oct 1, 2023 7:07 AM

May 2015
A very depressing manga through and through but also very realistic, which only makes it even more depressing.

The ending was on point. There wasn’t really much else I expected to happen, it's simple, but effective. Life goes on, and isn't it an achievement after the time when Seichi almost committed suicide? The demons don't haunt him anymore, the image of a mother is blurred and that's just... that feels almost pointless. Not in a sense that it's a pointless story but the whole life of Seiko, what did she achieve? She won't be even remembered. Very fitting end for a person who used to crawl under the every fiber of Seichi's soul.

While some threads seem confusing, like who did what on that cliff and so on. But that's all part of the trauma, I think. Quite interesting portrayal of a gaslighting, where even Seichi still might not have all the answers, he didn’t even have a real conversation with his mother, not really. He got a semblance of a closure but not because the mother said something to him in real life, but because he worked through this on his own, which got reflected in a dream. The real mother was long gone in a way, only a shell remaining, and Seichi was watching to make sure he doesn't miss the reality of her fading away. And only after her death Seichi was finally able to breath.

It's sad, truly. His new life is very simple and alone, but maybe he doesn't need it to be complicated. At least the world around is beautiful, something he's finally able to notice now.
Oct 6, 2023 11:27 PM
Dec 2020
brb sobbing uncontrollably
Oct 7, 2023 5:09 PM
May 2018
What a beautiful ending
Oct 8, 2023 8:31 PM
Jun 2019
It's really a good manga overall. I think the main feeling while I read is, 'What the hell is going on???'. I just have no idea what will happen.

I think the climax is when he still didn't know who killed his cousin. It's crazy.

Until the end, it's hard to know what will occur. At first, I thought the relationship between him and his mother would be nice and calm, but then he said he's just waiting for her death and it seems like he's waiting for his own death too. It's hard to believe he's happy in the end, just living and trying to understand the world he's unable to learn until adulthood.

I think the manga is really nice, with nothing bad at all, and it deserves a 10/10, but my overall rating is 8/10 or maybe 9/10.
Oct 11, 2023 12:58 PM
Jan 2023
It was good, I liked it a lot
Oct 24, 2023 10:13 PM
Jan 2022
In the end he's still alone and now he's old, goddammit man

But at least he's no longer depressed anymore
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chi no Wadachi Chapter 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2018

10 by MidnightTv13 »»
Apr 25, 8:47 PM

Poll: » Chi no Wadachi Chapter 146 Discussion

Adnash - Jun 1, 2023

22 by KanYeeT »»
Apr 20, 2:34 PM

Poll: » Chi no Wadachi Chapter 152 Discussion

CQLLIST - Aug 27, 2023

20 by Kap92 »»
Mar 2, 4:51 PM

Poll: » Chi no Wadachi Chapter 151 Discussion

Adnash - Aug 12, 2023

19 by Kap92 »»

Poll: » Chi no Wadachi Chapter 150 Discussion

GurschachX - Jul 30, 2023

21 by Kap92 »»
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.