Forum Settings
Forums

Qwest decides to Limit there bandwidth volume!

New
May 24, 2010 9:59 PM

Jul 2007
I was wondering if any of you are having the same problems with the ISP qwest. Apparently quest is limiting the download volume per user on there networks. My ISP is quest and i have the lowest possible DL speeds on the network which is 1.5 Mb.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Qwests-Excessive-Use-Policy-90219

i just got a letter sent from quest stating that im downloading to much. So apparently there capping there DL limits now. This makes no sense to me, i can understand a public network like a school's network running on a single server that caps there DL for users because its a free network. But your paying a local private network through quest, in there statement it specifies that you get unlimited downloading. I mean thats why your PAYING them for the unlimited access. It states that an average user downloads 1-4 gb a month. on this DSL report. Well thats hardly nothing. I get the on demand service through my satellite and netflix so i can stream netflix videos to my tv. I can dl a movie which is like a gig in a single day. I have been downloading movies and videos, my sister downloads lots of music and we have been doing this for years and never have we had any issues pertaining to this at all.

I'm just wondering if your aware of this and heard anything bout it. I know Comcast tried to limit users for a 250gb limit and nearly got sued because there was alot of big companies that required to dl more then that. But i don't see how i can be exceeding the limit, i get the slowest dl rate at 1.5 mb and each file im only using like 50k maybe for each file. There is no way i could be in that range of "excessive use policy". I have looked around on google and on the net though and it appears alot of people are running into these similar problems. I torrent alot ok, im sure everyone does but in the course of 7 years, this is the first time ive had this problem.

* I mean it specifically states in there agreement form that your service provides you with unlimited downloads. So now all the sudden there starting to limit the amount of volume of bandwidth you can use per month. Everyone knows 1-3 gb a month is not all that much if your downloading video and movies. They should upgrade there infrastructure or something cause this is just downright anarchy!

I mean if i had to dl 1-4 gigs a month to say with in the terms, it would literally take me years and years to dl all the series of anime and movies that i want. This is just ridiculous.

In any case, they told me to limit my dl speed or they will terminate my service.

Just wondering if other people are having similar problems. I will fight for my right to get my unlimited downloads, this is just wrong to do this to people.
ArtimesGamerMay 24, 2010 10:04 PM

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 25, 2010 12:01 AM
Mar 2008
link9us said:
Yeah let me know if you find any more information bout it.

So I've called them and asked.

The representative said that the number 1-3 GB that you've mentioned is NOT the limit; it's just what the average rate taken from all of their customers. They have no actual limit, but if your activity affects other users, they will step in--meaning if you happen to use over 500 GB and still NOT affect other users, they won't come after you.

You sure you haven't been downloading too much? Or maybe it's just a bad time of the month, when everyone happens to download too much, lol . . . well, either that or someone has been stealing your traffic.

---
As for the limits of unlimited, well, I am not surprise, to be honest.

Unlimited has becomes quite a popular term these days. Take a look at all the web hosting services out there, for example. Many of them claim that they offer unlimited bandwidth, unlimited storage, unlimited etc. Those are all lies. There's always a limit in our resources, even the sun has its limit. I never expect unlimited in the first place so . . . happy day :-)
ThirdQEDMay 25, 2010 12:22 AM
May 25, 2010 12:26 AM
Feb 2010
link9us said:
I mean if i had to dl 1-4 gigs a month to say with in the terms, it would literally take me years and years to dl all the series of anime and movies that i want. This is just ridiculous.

In any case, they told me to limit my dl speed or they will terminate my service.

They're probably telling you that they're on to your anime piracy, so stop it, because it would be a real downright shame if "someone" ratted you out... capiche?

Anyway, in all seriousness, they probably just don't want to update their super-routers to the new stuff from Cisco, so they're just trying to get you under control so they can keep the 500 other customers who pay just as much as you do, but generate 25 MB of traffic a day, happy.
May 25, 2010 12:29 AM
Nov 2008
Sorry, Australia recently invaded the USA. We've brought our poor internet with us.
May 25, 2010 12:40 AM

Jul 2007
nmanguy said:
link9us said:

They're probably telling you that they're on to your anime piracy, so stop it, because it would be a real downright shame if "someone" ratted you out... capiche?

Anyway, in all seriousness, they probably just don't want to update their super-routers to the new stuff from Cisco, so they're just trying to get you under control so they can keep the 500 other customers who pay just as much as you do, but generate 25 MB of traffic a day, happy.

Ok first of all, don't act like the internet police please. I am just asking for information if any one else had these similar problems.

2nd no where in there statement did they even mention anything bout illegal piracy. If it was for that, i would of gotten a letter stating that i was doing illegally downloading.

When you say some one will rat you out and italicizing it, are you trying to tell me that your going to rat me out for piracy and illegal downloading. Cause if you want to go that route, im sure a whole alot of people on here torrent as well, this is completely irrelevant to the matter im discussing so i would appreciate it if you keep your mouth shut and don't start shit that doesn't have anything to do with this discussion.
ArtimesGamerMay 25, 2010 12:44 AM

May 25, 2010 3:09 PM
Feb 2010
Wow, so not only do you not get sarcasm, you also don't get references to Italian crime families, the meaning of the phrase "Anyway, in all seriousness", and basic sentence structure.

If you had read the second half of my comment, I told you exactly why they are doing it.
May 25, 2010 3:26 PM

Apr 2010
Shit shit shit shit shit. I'm a Qwest user and I download heavily. I hope I don't run into any BS.
May 25, 2010 3:35 PM

Jun 2008
Capping download limits are nothing new. It's a great way to deal with piracy, since mostly everyone use the logic that piracy is free or cheap to get their stuff. I'm pretty sure I got over my 60gigs like 2 weeks ago for like a 1-3 month cycle. And the great excuse they now can use is: "don't blame us limiting your stuff, blame the guys out there pirating downloading ridiculous amount of stuff everyday." And if every Internet provider started doing this, when you can definitely expect certain peoples to pass the cap, it's profit for them, all the more reason to.
May 25, 2010 4:02 PM

Jan 2009
Tachii said:
Capping download limits are nothing new. It's a great way to deal with piracy, since mostly everyone use the logic that piracy is free or cheap to get their stuff. I'm pretty sure I got over my 60gigs like 2 weeks ago for like a 1-3 month cycle. And the great excuse they now can use is: "don't blame us limiting your stuff, blame the guys out there pirating downloading ridiculous amount of stuff everyday." And if every Internet provider started doing this, when you can definitely expect certain peoples to pass the cap, it's profit for them, all the more reason to.

An ISP really doesn't give a shit if you are pirating, but that generally includes using more bandwidth, which they may not like. I am pretty sure any ISP that has a bandwidth limit is one that also sells cable, which they lose a profit on then, supposedly. Anyway, there are plenty of ISPS that just ptovide internet that couldn't care if you pirate or not.. unless they receive legal threats.

May 25, 2010 4:22 PM

Aug 2009
Well, my family's plan is under Comcast. And apparently Comcast saw that my account's usage rate was extremely high and kept us under a "monitor". Which is bullshit 'cause there's no way I download over 250 gigs a month (even the rest of my family).

Anyways, ISPs will lie to you and tell you that you have no limit OR they'll even say that you have a set limit and even then lie about how much the limit actually is. It's fucking ridiculous and ISPs should be straight up about how much you are actually allowed to download.
May 25, 2010 4:59 PM

Jun 2008
Gunther_ said:
Tachii said:

An ISP really doesn't give a shit if you are pirating, but that generally includes using more bandwidth, which they may not like. I am pretty sure any ISP that has a bandwidth limit is one that also sells cable, which they lose a profit on then, supposedly. Anyway, there are plenty of ISPS that just ptovide internet that couldn't care if you pirate or not.. unless they receive legal threats.
Like you said, the ISP is probably more or less not focused on combating piracy, but putting a limit cap on do indeed does it as a side effect. And I reasonably believe this cap will not disappear, and only will become more and more common to the ISPs out there, if it isn't common enough already.
May 25, 2010 5:28 PM

Jul 2008
imo quickly run away from your ISP and get something with unlimited bandwidth. Limited bandwidth is like slavery! We should have freedom to download any amount of Bytes that we can! DSL shouldn't have any limit anyway, only Cables and Satelites. FiOS from verizon is faster than cable and also unlimited, great deal imo (not advertising on purpose, I still don't have FiOS which is a bummer)
May 25, 2010 5:55 PM

Oct 2009
If i am going to be paying for the internet then i better be able to download however much i want.
Also 2 - 4 Gb a month? I download more then that in anime a week! Eh just downloaded about 7gb on a anime that i am watching now.
May 25, 2010 11:26 PM

Dec 2009
1.5M you can't download really that 'too much'
But may consider changing a better plan or another ISP
May 26, 2010 12:45 AM

Mar 2007
hahah... the transport stream file i just downloaded in 30 minutes was 2.2gb

i would be screwed. Well to be honest, like any privately owned company, they have rights to amending their own rules without common knowledge by the person using said business. Sure they'll announce some rules will be changed or updated via snail mail or some small link on their website but when you sign over that contract or agree to use their service, you're stuck using whatever they give you.

You gotta look at all the fine print and such. I dont have qwest thank god, but Cox has similar things in terms of limiting users although its much more relaxed than what you're experiencing. The only times Cox Internet suspended my internet is when I'm downloading specific files on torrents. Namely Fox, Comedy Central, Funimation. They freeze my account, tell me to delete (for example) "Family_Guy_s04e12.avi" and then they turn on my internet again. Of course i dont delete it i just stop seeding it, but yeah thats the only time they crack down on me.

As for your situation, get another isp. Simple as that, unless you're in a contract, then update your package to get the "unlimited bandwith". I thought the lower tiers have set speeds and limted amount of space they can DL/UL. And the highest tier is supposed to be the unlimited package. That is the case for the CLEARwire internet package i have right now with my laptop. Cox also does the same, they have the 2mb/s, 6mb/s, and the 20mb/s. Dont forget, to look at the fine print! DL/UL speeds are never guaranteed.

Limited bandwith should only be available to 3rd world countries

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.