Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Do Kirito and Asuna's romance get developed further in this season and subsequent seasons?

Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 20, 2023 6:59 PM
May 2023
I only really watched the first season for their romance but it was kind of lacking, I enjoyed the plot thoroughly (the harem was off-putting icl) but do we see anymore Kirito X Asuna plot further on the story? I don't mind minor spoilers.
this question applies to seasons after this one too :)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 20, 2023 7:10 PM
Aug 2020
sayu-simp said:
I only really watched the first season for their romance but it was kind of lacking, I enjoyed the plot thoroughly (the harem was off-putting icl) but do we see anymore Kirito X Asuna plot further on the story? I don't mind minor spoilers.

next to none. definitely not worth watching any more for romance (that's what i was in it for too)
Jul 20, 2023 7:11 PM
May 2023
Aezi said:
sayu-simp said:

next to none. definitely not worth watching any more for romance (that's what i was in it for too)

awh that really sucks. I assume there are also none in later seasons?
I've also heard that kirito and asuna have separate arcs which I find incredibly dumb, shouldn't they be working together?
Jul 20, 2023 7:13 PM
Aug 2020
sayu-simp said:
Aezi said:

I've also heard that kirito and asuna have separate arcs which I find incredibly dumb, shouldn't they be working together?

nope! in fact kirito even starts living with another woman in one of the following seasons and asuna never finds out about it, although they are still supposedly together which is pretty silly
Jul 20, 2023 7:13 PM
Feb 2022
no it stays the same Like that piss is me of so much
Jul 20, 2023 7:15 PM
May 2023
Aezi said:
sayu-simp said:

nope! in fact kirito even starts living with another woman in one of the following seasons and asuna never finds out about it, although they are still supposedly together which is pretty silly

damn, that's actually sad. like I feel they had so much potential with the romance and the duo... thanks for letting me know! thank god I won't have to watch 3 more seasons only to be thoroughly disappointed
Jul 20, 2023 7:21 PM

Jul 2021
Nah if u watching for romance you'll be disappointed
Though Alicization is better than the previous two seasons
Jul 20, 2023 7:25 PM

Oct 2020
sayu-simp said:

Actually the next arc i.e., Alicization Arc has 47eps i.e., 9volumes and it has like Very Little Romance tbh. Just to give u an idea, after the first episode ending kiss scene, Asuna Meets Kirito in War of Underworld part 1, i.e, after almost 25/26eps........

..... but U will get to know 2 Good characters, Eugeo and Alice..........if u are searching for romance, Alicization delivers it at some places but overall the whole show has something else going on, something secret n dark.

But This season is better than the previous 2, because it shows a whole different world and has a more complex mechanism of VR, the <<SOUL TRANSLATOR>> which is kinda based on the <<MEDICUBOID>>.......Kirito as a character gets TIME to develop and understand other characters, Villains are actually Good in this season, not the best but SAO villains has always been a disappointment but Trust me U will like the Villains of Alicization.......The season has actual Blood tho. You should be more excited about the ACTION n the DIVINE WEAPONS (trust me the show has different varieties of weapons n their backstories how they're Made )............

(and whoever is talking about Kirito starts living with some other girl, they are misleading n telling u wrong, why don't u find out yourself)
Anayan_KashyapJul 20, 2023 7:31 PM
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
Jul 20, 2023 7:27 PM

Apr 2021
sayu-simp said:

Why would you get into this anime for “romance”?

That is secondary to the main story of the games
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series and judge each based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Jul 20, 2023 7:31 PM
May 2023
ejleon said:
sayu-simp said:

because I am interested in romance...? why else would I watch it for that. I understand that it's supposed to be the secondary theme, but SAO is often advertised as having romance in but from what I've seen in reviews it's quite the opposite.
Jul 20, 2023 7:33 PM

Oct 2020
sayu-simp said:
ejleon said:

because I am interested in romance...? why else would I watch it for that. I understand that it's supposed to be the secondary theme, but SAO is often advertised as having romance in but from what I've seen in reviews it's quite the opposite.

Yes, Romance is there but Little in Alicization, because Romance is NOT the main factor in this arc. There are tons of different things going on, u will keep switching between The Underworld and The Real World, u will be keep switching between Kirito and Asuna every episode, There are Tons of Information n dialogues, and each episode has something dark going on.........so romance is very less.......But there is little to No harem overall. Romance is like 10%.
Anayan_KashyapJul 20, 2023 7:40 PM
Jul 20, 2023 8:21 PM
Jan 2021
not much development on the romance until around the 2nd season of Alicization. just kind of cute moments here and there like an old married couple.

The Progressive movies delivers some romance aswell, and are just good movies (imo)
Jul 20, 2023 8:33 PM
Apr 2022
I wish Kirito fuck his cousin!!!
She is itching to fuck Kirito🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤
Jul 20, 2023 8:41 PM
Apr 2022
I stopped watching it once he started getting a harem and the sister/cousin thing didnt help
Jul 20, 2023 8:43 PM

Apr 2021
sayu-simp said:
ejleon said:

I apologize if you thought in against romance, I’m not, I actually enjoy romance anime.

I never thought of SAO as a romance, that’s all, so I was confused.

If it was advertised as Romance, then it was definitely trying to attract people like you, which is a bait and switch in my option, and that is not good.

The romance is quite light, beside Azusa & Kirito going on a couple adventure dates, living together, and having rings, not much beside that.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series and judge each based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Jul 20, 2023 9:42 PM

Mar 2013
Just use your... 
It's more fun that way... >.<
CrazyButNot4UJul 20, 2023 9:47 PM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jul 20, 2023 9:44 PM
Apr 2020
sayu-simp said:

Idk I remember there being some sort of minor romance throughout most recent season not so much since they get separated Ide just recommend watching it yourself sao gets a lot of hate but it’s not bad and for me I enjoyed it growing up
Jul 20, 2023 10:05 PM
Feb 2021
sayu-simp said:
Aezi said:

damn, that's actually sad. like I feel they had so much potential with the romance and the duo... thanks for letting me know! thank god I won't have to watch 3 more seasons only to be thoroughly disappointed

Why do you let yourself persuaded by some randos opinion to determine whether you gonna watch or not and what most when it happened to be that guy disseminating nothing but misinformation, lol. If you watch it by yourself, you will definitely find out plenty of their wholesome moments including multiple kissing, intense handholding, dating, camping, stargazing, putting rings which is far more then what you see in your normal romance.

Also for further information, Kirito never stayed with any ladies and the thing that fella is talking about is very different scene when you watch it by yourself and its up to you to explore or not but if you let yourself dissuade by them to watch then good luck on leaving under their shadow because you can't decide by yourself.
Jul 20, 2023 10:07 PM
Feb 2021
Anayan_Kashyap said:
sayu-simp said:

Actually the next arc i.e., Alicization Arc has 47eps i.e., 9volumes and it has like Very Little Romance tbh. Just to give u an idea, after the first episode ending kiss scene, Asuna Meets Kirito in War of Underworld part 1, i.e, after almost 25/26eps........

..... but U will get to know 2 Good characters, Eugeo and Alice..........if u are searching for romance, Alicization delivers it at some places but overall the whole show has something else going on, something secret n dark.

But This season is better than the previous 2, because it shows a whole different world and has a more complex mechanism of VR, the <<SOUL TRANSLATOR>> which is kinda based on the <<MEDICUBOID>>.......Kirito as a character gets TIME to develop and understand other characters, Villains are actually Good in this season, not the best but SAO villains has always been a disappointment but Trust me U will like the Villains of Alicization.......The season has actual Blood tho. You should be more excited about the ACTION n the DIVINE WEAPONS (trust me the show has different varieties of weapons n their backstories how they're Made )............

(and whoever is talking about Kirito starts living with some other girl, they are misleading n telling u wrong, why don't u find out yourself)

10% you say if only they hadn't fucking butchered the Adaptation
Jul 20, 2023 10:19 PM

Oct 2020
Abysmal_Saint76 said:
Anayan_Kashyap said:

They did disappoint me a bit tho. They missed tons of stuff as well. It was just that the last 2 seasons were a bit of a disappointment, Alicization felt a lot better. But it was A good Adaptation overall.
Anayan_KashyapJul 20, 2023 10:22 PM
Jul 20, 2023 10:24 PM
Feb 2021
Anayan_Kashyap said:
Abysmal_Saint76 said:

They did disappoint me a bit tho. They missed tons of stuff as well. It was just that the last 2 seasons were a bit of a disappointment, Alicization felt a lot better. But it was A good Adaptation overall.

Alicization also did Asuna lot dirty with the omission of very crucial scene like how kirito life was once again saved by Asuna because she quickly remembered the complicated poison name which other would have never if they were there, and her struggle and despair after Kirito went in vegetative stage. In fact, Fuck that Manabu Ono and I hope he never touched any SAO materials
Jul 20, 2023 11:32 PM
Mar 2022
Everybody’s saying not at all, but the romance does develop in the ordinal scale movie, but not by much, and it doesn’t develop more in Alicization. But on the other side of things, how can you develop a relationship when the only things left are actual marriage and child birth? They’re still too young to reasonably do either, so there’s really no need to be repetitive with the romance part of the story. They’ll develop more once the series reaches its end, but for the time being it’s better to cover more of a variety of content, even if it doesn’t seem like it’s necessary, it’s just fun to watch.
Jul 21, 2023 12:36 AM
Apr 2023
honestly i believe the seri3s is just pure gold, though everyone says the opposite. i mean, the series isnt a romance thats just like the juicy part of it but the main theme is the overall vr world building
Jul 21, 2023 1:21 AM
Jun 2021
sayu-simp said:

Theirs moments and stuff but it feels like he keeps getting distracted by other hot chicks who for whatever reason are drawn to him, like at least asuna and kirito made sense that they would become attached in a situation like SAO
Jul 21, 2023 1:22 AM
May 2023
Abysmal_Saint76 said:
sayu-simp said:

Why do you let yourself persuaded by some randos opinion to determine whether you gonna watch or not and what most when it happened to be that guy disseminating nothing but misinformation, lol. If you watch it by yourself, you will definitely find out plenty of their wholesome moments including multiple kissing, intense handholding, dating, camping, stargazing, putting rings which is far more then what you see in your normal romance.

Also for further information, Kirito never stayed with any ladies and the thing that fella is talking about is very different scene when you watch it by yourself and its up to you to explore or not but if you let yourself dissuade by them to watch then good luck on leaving under their shadow because you can't decide by yourself.

I apologise, however I feel like your first comment is very unfair since I have no way of knowing if he was telling the truth. I also feel there is a huge misunderstanding in what people think I meant by "romantic development" I am not looking for a plot based on purely romance. I am looking for something where I can see a lot of interaction between kirito and asuna and the development between the both characters. obviously since they're both together it'd be romantic development
Jul 21, 2023 1:25 AM
May 2023
EP1C_G4YM3R said:
Everybody’s saying not at all, but the romance does develop in the ordinal scale movie, but not by much, and it doesn’t develop more in Alicization. But on the other side of things, how can you develop a relationship when the only things left are actual marriage and child birth? They’re still too young to reasonably do either, so there’s really no need to be repetitive with the romance part of the story. They’ll develop more once the series reaches its end, but for the time being it’s better to cover more of a variety of content, even if it doesn’t seem like it’s necessary, it’s just fun to watch.

there is a huge misunderstanding, mainly fault at my end for not explaining it better: by romantic development I meant I was looking for something where kirito and asuna interact a lot and develop their relationship, and since they're together it would sort of be romantic development.
Jul 21, 2023 1:29 AM
May 2023
ejleon said:
sayu-simp said:

I apologize if you thought in against romance, I’m not, I actually enjoy romance anime.

If it was advertised as Romance, then it was definitely trying to attract people like you, which is a bait and switch in my option, and that is not good.

The romance is quite light, beside Azusa & Kirito going on a couple adventure dates, living together, and having rings, not much beside that.

I believe there is a huge misunderstanding, mainly a fault at my end: by "romantic development" I was looking for something where kirito and asuna interact a lot, and the development of their relationship, and since they're together you could call it romantic development. I'm not looking for a proper romance but all I want is for the 2 MCs to interact together a lot.
Jul 21, 2023 3:43 AM

Apr 2021
sayu-simp said:
ejleon said:

I believe there is a huge misunderstanding, mainly a fault at my end: by "romantic development" I was looking for something where kirito and asuna interact a lot, and the development of their relationship, and since they're together you could call it romantic development. I'm not looking for a proper romance but all I want is for the 2 MCs to interact together a lot.

I understand now, thanks for explaining your perspective, I appreciate your patience.

Hope you have a good night or day !

Jul 21, 2023 3:52 AM
Nov 2019
progressive moveis got Asuna as main romance
the underworld got some scene but it's not a full romance
Jul 21, 2023 5:05 AM
Jul 2021
No, the romance don't really develope much more. So if your looking for that, then you're gonna get disappointed. But besides that, it's a great season.
Jul 21, 2023 5:34 AM
Apr 2023
id wouldn't say it have, for me this season only added another girl into the picture :v
Jul 21, 2023 5:40 AM

Jan 2023
sayu-simp said:

The first part of season 2, doesn't really do anything for their romance.

Everything after is a lot like what others says, that the romance is not main focus. But through some of the plot and the problems they face, is it shown how much they care for and love each other.

So if you're main wish is to see how their relationship in details develop, am I sad to dissappoint. But if the whole idea of how VR will influence the world, while being supported by the relationship between them. Would I say its worth watching, especially what comes after season 2.
Jul 21, 2023 7:56 AM
Aug 2022
sayu-simp said:

IMO u should watch the next arc it's far better than s1 and s2. Alicization arc is just too op
Jul 21, 2023 7:58 AM
May 2023
Flacion said:
sayu-simp said:

Everything after is a lot like what others says, that the romance is not main focus. But through some of the plot and the problems they face, is it shown how much they care for and love each other.

So if you're main wish is to see how their relationship in details develop, am I sad to dissappoint. But if the whole idea of how VR will influence the world, while being supported by the relationship between them. Would I say its worth watching, especially what comes after season 2.

nah, I'm looking for lots of kirito X Asuna interaction and their relationship develop. doesn't have to be romantic but since they're together, you could say any development of their relationship could be called romantic development if that makes sense
Jul 21, 2023 8:18 AM

Jan 2023
sayu-simp said:
Flacion said:

nah, I'm looking for lots of kirito X Asuna interaction and their relationship develop. doesn't have to be romantic but since they're together, you could say any development of their relationship could be called romantic development if that makes sense

Personally would I say that in the seasons after the first, are they not really evolving in it. More showing how deep their love actually is, how they support each other, and how far they will go for each other.
Jul 21, 2023 8:18 AM
Apr 2018
Not really in this season, in other seasons a little bit but honestly their relationship doesn’t change much after season one. We get a few cute romance stuff but nothing new that shows relationships progression
Jul 21, 2023 9:58 AM
Jun 2019
Aezi said:
sayu-simp said:

This is a massive lie. He doesn't start living with another woman. He's being cared for by that woman while he's in a vegetative state.
Jul 21, 2023 10:02 AM
Jun 2019
sayu-simp said:

There's not a lot of "romance" per say, cause they're pretty much husband and wife by the end of S1. After that it's occasional wholesome moments between seasons, ESPECIALLY at the beginning and end of Alicization.

However, if romance is what you really want, look no further than the 3 movies, SAO Ordinal scale, Aria of the starless night and scherzo of the deep. All have plenty of romantic moments, with the latter 2 being set in Aincrad, showing the early days of the relationship.
Jul 21, 2023 10:08 AM

Jan 2023
Simply put, no. If you want romance, look at the progressive movies.

"You win this round. You doggies."
Jul 21, 2023 10:12 AM
May 2023
BEaSTPadwal15 said:
Aezi said:

This is a massive lie. He doesn't start living with another woman. He's being cared for by that woman while he's in a vegetative state.

thanks for the clarification, that comment made me thought sao turned into a harem anime or something
Jul 21, 2023 10:14 AM
Jun 2019
sayu-simp said:
BEaSTPadwal15 said:

thanks for the clarification, that comment made me thought sao turned into a harem anime or something

Nah. If anything it kinda keeps solidifying that Asuna is the only one for Kirito. Like by the end of Alicization, it's just.... yikes lmao. But yeah, as I said, look for the movies for proper romance. Also side stories in the LNs like sugary days.
Jul 21, 2023 2:54 PM
Mar 2022
sayu-simp said:
EP1C_G4YM3R said:

there is a huge misunderstanding, mainly fault at my end for not explaining it better: by romantic development I meant I was looking for something where kirito and asuna interact a lot and develop their relationship, and since they're together it would sort of be romantic development.

Going by that definition, there’s a small amount of romantic development in the middle of season 2 if I remember correctly. But even though romantic development can definitely be lacking in this show, there is a good amount of character development, and some of that character development forces Asuna to fight her own battles without Kirito there to save her all the time.
Jul 21, 2023 3:03 PM
Dec 2022
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no
Jul 21, 2023 7:10 PM

Jan 2020
Some people are kinda clueless. Yes their romance continues to develop. In fact some of the best Asuna simping for her beloved moments happen in the latest season. There are TONS of Kirito x Asuna scenes after S1 lol
Jul 22, 2023 6:47 AM

Mar 2013
I'm sure I read similar threads like this one, days ago. 👀
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jul 22, 2023 11:31 AM
Nov 2021
sayu-simp said:

NOPE. After the first half of season 1, this series gradually become a generic harem shit.
Jul 22, 2023 11:48 AM

Jan 2015
You will find many of romantic scenes between both of them in the consequent seasons / any SAO installment.

There might be harem element but it has no real significance.

• reminder to do something today that will make your life better •
• true failure is when you stop trying •

Jul 22, 2023 12:29 PM
May 2023
Xavion said:
You will find many of romantic scenes between both of them in the consequent seasons / any SAO installment.

so there are just more female MCs who fall for him but not the other way around ?
Jul 22, 2023 12:46 PM

Jan 2015
sayu-simp said:
Xavion said:

so there are just more female MCs who fall for him but not the other way around ?

XavionJul 22, 2023 12:49 PM

• reminder to do something today that will make your life better •
• true failure is when you stop trying •

Jul 22, 2023 1:14 PM
May 2023
Xavion said:
sayu-simp said:

ah thanks for the clarification! I was confused at the 2 different takes of subsequent seasons:
1. harem
2. not harem
I think I'll give it a watch now that I've gotten some clarification!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Karoshi- - Dec 20, 2014

618 by MinaseNagi »»
Apr 17, 6:11 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2014

958 by maki_evergarden »»
Mar 17, 9:33 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Oct 25, 2014

289 by erixqh »»
Feb 22, 12:26 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 12, 2014

762 by minu11 »»
Jan 26, 5:10 AM

» While you're watching Season 2

Bijou146 - Jan 14

23 by katnissmaezie »»
Jan 24, 11:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.