Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 3, 2023 12:23 PM
Apr 2023
Preferences may vary from person to person, May BE!
bryce_juneAug 9, 2023 12:22 AM
May 3, 2023 12:23 PM

Feb 2016
Shidoteki said:
Ionliosite2 said:
Yes, it's absolutely superior, in just every aspect. Anyone who says otherwise is nostalgia blind.

I second this.
I dont like that a lot of people have nostalgia goggles for everything

Naruto was my entire childhood but i wouldnt watch it dubbed nor would I give the anime more than a 7/10 rating
so you watched both part 1 naruto and shippuden in subbed?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 3, 2023 12:26 PM

May 2018
Yes, original voice acting is always the best way to appreciate something, the right way actually, be it in anime or in any media. Dubs exist to make things more accessible, that's all.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
May 3, 2023 12:30 PM

Apr 2016
SupremeGod said:
Pit93 said:
Yeah pretty much. Some rare dubs I might consider equal but none have been superior to the sub version and out of all the dubs I've watched, only a few German ones I might consider equal (I'm not German btw). English dubs are usually pretty yikes to me.
I still want to watch Gosick in French at least once (I'm also not French). Victorique's French is just so hilariously bad in Japanese. XD

This is not limited to anime btw. Any movie, I prefer watching it subbed. Exceptions are when I'm watching something with a child who can't read yet or can't read the subs fast enough yet.
you think FMAB is better subbed than dubbed?

Oh absolutely! Shinichiro Miki and Miyano Mamoru being part of pretty regular characters is already amazing and usually reason enough for me to watch an anime. Then we also have Romi Park voicing Edward as well. And although I only know Shibata Hidekatsu from FMAB as King Bradley, he has such an iconic voice with gravitas, it just perfectly fits the character imo.
May 3, 2023 12:37 PM

Feb 2016
Sachyan said:
Yes, original voice acting is always the best way to appreciate something, the right way actually, be it in anime or in any media. Dubs exist to make things more accessible, that's all.
so you're basically saying subbed is better than every single dub then?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 3, 2023 12:40 PM

Apr 2021
Yes

To me it's not only in anime but even in movies or live-action shows, i prefer the original

Edit: oh except chinese and german. These languages are very hard to listen for me
May 3, 2023 12:41 PM

Feb 2016
Pit93 said:
SupremeGod said:
you think FMAB is better subbed than dubbed?

Oh absolutely! Shinichiro Miki and Miyano Mamoru being part of pretty regular characters is already amazing and usually reason enough for me to watch an anime. Then we also have Romi Park voicing Edward as well. And although I only know Shibata Hidekatsu from FMAB as King Bradley, he has such an iconic voice with gravitas, it just perfectly fits the character imo.
oh ok cool yeah i would say sub is better 99% of the time for most animes
May 3, 2023 12:43 PM

Feb 2016
mshfqtny said:
Yes

To me it's not only in anime but even in movies or live-action shows, i prefer the original
so every single anime in your completed list you watched in sub?
May 3, 2023 12:45 PM

Apr 2021
SupremeGod said:
mshfqtny said:
Yes

so every single anime in your completed list you watched in sub?
except the Chinese ones which have jp subs and panty and stocking cause it looked western
May 3, 2023 1:03 PM

Sep 2022
Like 99% of the time I'll watch in sub and of course the other 1% is when I watch it in dub. Which could probably be counted on one hand.
May 3, 2023 1:18 PM

Sep 2014
Sub is always superior to dub, no matter what. It's a rule, not a preference.

Please don't pay attention to those trolls who think there is a selection of anime that have a better dub than sub. They speak out of their asses since there is no such thing as a superior dub.

A superior dub is as real as objectivity in anime. It's the Santa Claus of anime watchers.
May 3, 2023 1:19 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
I know this topic has been beaten to death, but yeah, I prefer sub to dub with very few exceptions.
May 3, 2023 1:37 PM

Feb 2016
Of course. By default, sub is always better than dub 99% of the time. 
May 3, 2023 2:29 PM

Jan 2023
This war is still continuing goodness, but yeah I prefer sub over dub with a few exceptions to that.

"You win this round. You doggies."
May 3, 2023 3:12 PM

Dec 2021
No way, brose! Since the dubs often aren't released until well after the subs the dub script writers and VAs can use the subs as a template to improve upon! Plus, English > Japanese as a language, so English dubs, at a minimum, often beat those pesky subs.
May 3, 2023 3:40 PM

Feb 2016
KryzakamiHrybami said:

Please don't pay attention to those trolls who think there is a selection of anime that have a better dub than sub. They speak out of their asses since there is no such thing as a superior dub.

A superior dub is as real as objectivity in anime. It's the Santa Claus of anime watchers.
so every single anime is better in sub then in your opinion?
May 3, 2023 4:00 PM

Sep 2010
trulywaath said:
Biggest complaint I've heard about (competent) English dubs is that they're "unrealistic". As if the original audio isn't. Hot take, but most people only recognize how "unrealistic" the acting is because they speak, and listen to other real people speak, English, on the daily. Amongst Japanese speakers in the real world, nobody talks like Haruhi Suzumiya, and nobody talks like Captain Harlock. Animated characters aren't (usually) supposed to be super realistic, if the actor can communicate the character's emotions and personality, that's all that matters. The English voice acting doesn't need to be "realistic" when the original audio sure as hell wasn't; it just needs to be competent.

That's what I've been saying so many times. The only reason why English dub sounds cringe/bad and Japanese dub doesn't is because they never spoke to an actual Japanese person in real life.
May 3, 2023 4:02 PM

Aug 2009
Watch Black Lagoon, then get back to me.

May 3, 2023 4:03 PM

Feb 2016
FacelessVixen said:
Why? Is it a good anime or is the dub just good?
May 3, 2023 4:10 PM

Nov 2011
ateks said:
trulywaath said:
Biggest complaint I've heard about (competent) English dubs is that they're "unrealistic". As if the original audio isn't. Hot take, but most people only recognize how "unrealistic" the acting is because they speak, and listen to other real people speak, English, on the daily. Amongst Japanese speakers in the real world, nobody talks like Haruhi Suzumiya, and nobody talks like Captain Harlock. Animated characters aren't (usually) supposed to be super realistic, if the actor can communicate the character's emotions and personality, that's all that matters. The English voice acting doesn't need to be "realistic" when the original audio sure as hell wasn't; it just needs to be competent.

That's what I've been saying so many times. The only reason why English dub sounds cringe/bad and Japanese dub doesn't is because they never spoke to an actual Japanese person in real life.

it's interesting to note that most people who complain about Japanese dubs don't know the Japanese language, while people who do know the language generally prefer the Japanese dub.

by the way, my complaint in regards to English dubs has nothing to do with realism. if the english va can act the character, they are doing a great job.
rather, the issue is mostly with questionable decisions such as changing the opening completely and removing several episodes for no good reason.

DreamingBeatsMay 3, 2023 4:16 PM
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
May 3, 2023 4:16 PM

Oct 2014
SupremeGod said:
FacelessVixen said:
Why? Is it a good anime or is the dub just good?

Both.

Watch Stand Alone Complex, Spice and Wolf, Panty & Stocking, Cyberpunk Edgerunners, Hellsing Ultimate and Space Dandy, then get back to me.
May 3, 2023 4:16 PM

Aug 2017
Tired old debate, nobody really gives a shit and people just like arguing.

I'm an alternator myself, I like watching dubs when it takes place in a more western setting like say, Gunsmith Cats taking place in America since the characters are already canonically speaking English. Though on the flip side if it takes place in Japan, I'd usually rather watch the sub since the characters are canonically speaking Japanese. I also usually prefer dubs when it comes to comedy, it's very hard to make a bad comedy dub since characters sounding ridiculous is often the point and comedic timing tends to work better with the native language, it helps that my favorite comedy; Cromartie High School has an amazing dub.

Sometimes I'll go out on a whim and try out a dub if there's an actor I recognize or an actor that hasn't done a lot and seems interesting to me, I recently watched Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai (Love, Chuunibyou and other delusions) dubbed on a whim and I thought the dub actress for Rikka did a really good job capturing the awkward, theatre kid energy she has while also still sounding cute and I think I enjoyed it more because I watched it dubbed. It really doesn't matter if you go dub or sub if you enjoy the show though.
May 3, 2023 4:24 PM

Dec 2012
No, I don't.  I usually watch things subbed first, that's true, but it's mostly because I follow a lot of seasonal shows, and the sub comes out first.  I like checking out all the audio options on my discs when I get them though.  There a couple of reasons I'd prefer the English dub over the sub, for instance:

-The series' setting was somewhere else other than Japan or featured a non-Japanese cast.  It makes more sense to me if they sound like the place they're supposed to be from.  Because the alternative is Japanese VA's attempting to speak other languages which often doesn't go well unless they find a bilingual actor/actress. 

-Sometimes there are Japanese voice actors whose voices I don't like so I'll watch the dub instead.  

-Consistency.  If I first started watching something dubbed and got accustomed to that cast, I rather continue it that way.
KruszerMay 3, 2023 4:52 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 3, 2023 4:29 PM

Sep 2010
DreamingBeats said:
ateks said:

it's interesting to note that most people who complain about Japanese dubs don't know the Japanese language, while people who do know the language generally prefer the Japanese dub.

Most people who complain about Japanese dubs are Japanese people and they mostly know Japanese as far as I know. And yeah no shit Japanese people prefer the Japanese dub.
May 3, 2023 4:30 PM

Nov 2011
Kruszer said:
bilingual actor/actress

characters such as Mia Taylor from Love Live Nijigasaki is a rare exception - she's voiced by Japanese/Australian Shuu Uchida and her English is excellent since she's a native speaker. but you're right. most voice actors or actresses can't speak English very well.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
May 3, 2023 4:44 PM

Dec 2012
DreamingBeats said:
Kruszer said:
bilingual actor/actress

characters such as Mia Taylor from Love Live Nijigasaki is a rare exception - she's voiced by Japanese/Australian Shuu Uchida and her English is excellent since she's a native speaker. but you're right. most voice actors or actresses can't speak English very well.
Also to clarify I'm not trying to rag on the actor or actress for how well they can speak a language other than their own which I don't think would be fair since becoming fluent in another language is really hard.

For another example of using the same actor ADV cast the Japanese actress for Minmei in the English dub for the 2000 redub of SDF Macross.
KruszerMay 3, 2023 4:49 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 3, 2023 4:47 PM

May 2015
All dubs are trash, end of story. The only reason to watch a dub (especially an English dub) is if you're blind or illiterate
May 3, 2023 5:21 PM

Feb 2016
billybub said:
All dubs are trash, end of story.  The only reason to watch a dub (especially an English dub) is if you're blind or illiterate
you think all dubs are trash even the Dragon ball z and Yu Yu Hakusho dubs?
May 3, 2023 5:30 PM

Jan 2017
DreamingBeats said:

by the way, my complaint in regards to English dubs has nothing to do with realism. if the english va can act the character, they are doing a great job.
rather, the issue is mostly with questionable decisions such as changing the opening completely and removing several episodes for no good reason.

Respectable take, though, I've never actually seen anyone complain about Japanese dubs, rather just people complaining about English dubs not being respected (though I'm sure the former are out there, I've seen some shit). I am of the latter category, as I mainly watch my anime subbed; I just love voice acting as an artform and think that, as long as the dub is actually competent (competent acting, no cuts from the original version, decently translated), then what's there not to love? You've got a nice audio track in multiple wonderful languages now!

If you're talking about oldschool English dubs, I really have to agree with you. It's especially saddening when the cast is putting in their all, but the people in charge of localization butcher the script and censor the show to hell and back. In recent years (past fifteen years or so) dubbing has gotten a lot better about that from what it seems. People who watch dubs nowadays don't really have to worry about dubs scrubbing away references to Japanese culture, sexuality, or entire episodes, like you or I did as kids; dubbing companies are largely run by people who know their audience (otaku), Harmony Gold/4kids shitshows are largely a thing of the past.

I like dub cover openings, and my feelings on entirely-dub-original openings are a bit mixed-to-negative, but that's a whole other can of worms and isn't really relevant to this comment, lol. I think saying "I love the dub version of Smile Bomb even more than the original, and find myself longing for Yume no Sekai he when I watch Moomin dubbed" should summarize it though.
trulywaathMay 3, 2023 5:37 PM
My pronoun is he, because I'll never be him.
May 3, 2023 5:43 PM

Aug 2018
Not always, but 98% for sure, It's a general thing not just for anime. A real actor or voice actor is generally better than just someone that dubs, besides, the pool is generally larger so generally earning the role is a lot harder than someone that plays a role for localization.

I've heard Dubs from a lot of languages, and almost never get even close to the quality of the original, people that prefers dubs is just people that don't care about quality and just watch thing for the pretty colors, not for dialogues nor emotions. The only reason I could think of someone prefering DUBs in general it's because they have some kind disability.
May 3, 2023 5:43 PM
Mar 2019
Imo sub is way better than dub. The original is always going to be better. That being said there are some dubs that are pretty good and dub anime in general is  pretty underrate overall
May 3, 2023 5:47 PM

Sep 2014
SupremeGod said:
KryzakamiHrybami said:

I will firmly say that every single dubs in existence is inferior to their subs counterpart. I see a lot of people praising the Gakkou no Kaidan dub. But to me, every dubbed anime sounds exactly like this and it is insufferable.
May 3, 2023 5:55 PM
❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀

Oct 2019
I hate to be that person, but sub is very superior. At least when we're comparing Japanese to English. English voice acting sounds so extremely unnatural and everyone sounds like they're on the verge of tears and speaking in a very uncomfortable tone. I've noticed that Western cartoons sound very natural, so I suppose that when it comes to anime they're trying to mimic the over exaggerated style of Japanese voice acting but it doesn't work in English. In my opinion. 
May 3, 2023 6:15 PM

Nov 2015
i started out watching everything english dubbed, but as i got into shows without English dubs i started to prefer and default to the Japanese dub for everything. there's probably more dubs i'd enjoy than the ~30 or so i've seen but at this point i can't be bothered to check them out
and i guess

that i just don't know
May 3, 2023 7:05 PM

Feb 2023
Neither is superior or inferior to the other. People can watch anime however they want. It's all about personal preferences; nothing more, nothing less.

That said, threads like this only exist for hardcore sub-elitists to look down on dubs and people who watch them. It's fine if you like subs more and refuse to watch dubs, but spouting ludicrous anti-dub statements such as "sub is always superior to dub no matter what. It's a rule not a preference" or "only good dubs are dragon ball z, ghost stroies, cowboy bebop dubs (yeah right), rest are trash" is just unacceptable.

StyxParadiseMay 4, 2023 12:53 PM
May 3, 2023 7:10 PM

Jun 2022
If I'm watching a show on Netflix I usually watch in dub but everywhere else I usually watch with subtitles.
May 3, 2023 7:33 PM

Jul 2021
nice bait best friend
(character limit)

May 3, 2023 7:43 PM

Jan 2021
StyxParadise said:
Threads like this only exist to look down on people who watch dubs, or watch both subs and dubs without constantly racking their brains over which one is better.
Its not to look down on them it just makes sense to watch something with it's original intent in this case is voice acting. you're not going to watch family guy dubbed in japanese and expect to sound better because its just not, that show was made with American culture in mind and vise versa with anime. Sometimes it is impressive how some dubs can sound berserk's and dragon ball's dub are legitimately great considering the culture differences. 
May 3, 2023 8:12 PM

Feb 2016
KryzakamiHrybami said:
SupremeGod said:

I will firmly say that every single dubs in existence is inferior to their subs counterpart. I see a lot of people praising the Gakkou no Kaidan dub. But to me, every dubbed anime sounds exactly like this and it is insufferable.
even the Yu Yu Hakusho dub is inferior to the sub?
May 3, 2023 8:17 PM

Feb 2016
strawberryhoney said:
I hate to be that person, but sub is very superior. At least when we're comparing Japanese to English. English voice acting sounds so extremely unnatural and everyone sounds like they're on the verge of tears and speaking in a very uncomfortable tone. I've noticed that Western cartoons sound very natural, so I suppose that when it comes to anime they're trying to mimic the over exaggerated style of Japanese voice acting but it doesn't work in English. In my opinion. 
do you think Yu Yu Hakusho is better in Dub or Sub?
May 3, 2023 8:20 PM

May 2020
I prefer dub for most comedy and sports anime (especially ghost stories), but other than that sub all the way!
May 3, 2023 8:32 PM
❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀

Oct 2019
SupremeGod said:
strawberryhoney said:
I prefer the sub. First of all I cannot stand Kuwabara's voice in the dubbed version. A lot of the English falls flat, especially with side characters. Second, Hiei's voice in the subbed version is my favorite thing ever
May 3, 2023 8:34 PM

Feb 2016
strawberryhoney said:
SupremeGod said:
I prefer the sub. First of all I cannot stand Kuwabara's voice in the dubbed version. A lot of the English falls flat, especially with side characters. Second, Hiei's voice in the subbed version is my favorite thing ever
damn the YYH dub gets so much praise though lol you're one of the few people that prefer sub
May 3, 2023 8:41 PM
❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀

Oct 2019
SupremeGod said:
strawberryhoney said:
damn the YYH dub gets so much praise though lol you're one of the few people that prefer sub
Yeah, I hear it's really good. My criticisms are only because I compare it to the original voice work so I'm sure that if I saw the dub first I wouldn't have too much of a problem with it. 
May 3, 2023 8:57 PM

Feb 2016
strawberryhoney said:
SupremeGod said:
Yeah, I hear it's really good. My criticisms are only because I compare it to the original voice work so I'm sure that if I saw the dub first I wouldn't have too much of a problem with it. 
Do you prefer Naruto in subbed too instead of dubbed?
May 3, 2023 9:05 PM
❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀

Oct 2019
SupremeGod said:
strawberryhoney said:
I actually haven't seen the dubbed version. Is that considered to be good as well? 
May 3, 2023 9:26 PM

Feb 2016
strawberryhoney said:
SupremeGod said:
I actually haven't seen the dubbed version. Is that considered to be good as well? 
part 1 dub is actually not that bad idk about shippuden's dub though
May 3, 2023 10:42 PM
Apr 2022
It’s almost always the case that subs are better but there some outliers for dubs. I think anime that have a very Western feel/setting like Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon and Hellsing Ultimate are usually better in dub. That’s also why I don’t like dubs for shows that take place in Japan. It’s very off putting and cringey to hear American voice actors say Japanese names and honorifics, it just doesn’t sound right to me.
MakimaEnjoyerMay 3, 2023 10:46 PM
May 3, 2023 11:16 PM

Feb 2016
I watch both audios about equally and no dubs are not always inferior. Dubs have some excellent gems that surpass subs even.
May 3, 2023 11:23 PM

May 2018
SupremeGod said:
Sachyan said:
so you're basically saying subbed is better than every single dub then?

Probably yes, but it's more like it's the way it was intended to be appreciated, as the original voice acting; it's closer to the source, and when we're speaking about live action the voice acting is an important aspect of the process of acting itself.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» what is the best slice of life anime and why ?

ame - 18 minutes ago

3 by Entity72 »»
9 minutes ago

» What are some shows that are commonly credited to change someone's life?

APolygons2 - 9 hours ago

28 by KittenCuddler »»
32 minutes ago

» What does the Anime you watch say about you

ST63LTH - Yesterday

20 by joseifan »»
32 minutes ago

Poll: » Your favourite romance ( 1 2 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Today

66 by joseifan »»
39 minutes ago

» When was the last time you felt happy/satisfied after watching an anime episode? :)

Rinrinka - Mar 27

29 by Dumb »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.