Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 3, 2023 4:15 AM

Feb 2016
Do you watch subbed anime 100% of the time? And do you think every dub is inferior to the sub? 
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 3, 2023 4:20 AM

Feb 2020
It's superior for sure, but I still prefer some shows dubbed, for example Cowboy Bebop and Death Note.
May 3, 2023 4:29 AM

Sep 2010
Please not this thread again guys..
May 3, 2023 4:39 AM

Feb 2020
I watch sub because I want to hear the original audio, I don't care how good or bad the dub is.
May 3, 2023 4:40 AM

Feb 2021
I prefer subs, but dub can be quite good too. For example, russian dub of donhua Girl Downstairs is done very professionally.
May 3, 2023 4:48 AM

Feb 2016
mazuchi said:
I watch sub because I want to hear the original audio, I don't care how good or bad the dub is.
so you watched every single anime in sub then?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 3, 2023 5:00 AM

Feb 2020
SupremeGod said:
mazuchi said:
so you watched every single anime in sub then?
Well I didn't as a kid and I still watch Detective Conan in (german) dub because nostalgia. But other than that, yes. Same goes for live action movies and such.
May 3, 2023 5:16 AM

Nov 2021
Watching everything sub except Pokémon dub during childhood, prefer hearing the original language. Heck even using sub on local TV or movies.
May 3, 2023 5:29 AM

Apr 2022
always- no
most of the time- probably yeah

ghost stories and kaguya sama has some top tier dubs, way better than the sub
by Toshi

May 3, 2023 5:32 AM

Sep 2020
Besides a few shows, most of the anime yes.
May 3, 2023 5:36 AM
cinnamon girl ♡

Apr 2021
#87261927th thread od sub vs dub DUH DOYYY !!!

sub is amazing idk if its superior when dub watchers cannot enjoy sub ... hahah so yeah its all preferences !!
May 3, 2023 6:00 AM

Oct 2018
Yes, it is always superior. It's a universal law, just like action and reaction.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
May 3, 2023 6:04 AM

Feb 2016
Phosphophyllita said:
Yes, it is always superior. It's a universal law, just like action and reaction.
why is Sub always superior in your opinion though?
May 3, 2023 6:22 AM

Oct 2022
I think subs are pretty much always better.
May 3, 2023 7:09 AM

Jul 2021
I can't say I've heard every single EN voice actor, but also what are the chances that I only heard the worst ones?
So I'll just dismiss the whole dub thing as garbage and call it a day. Life is too short to be fair about every single thing, and for what? To appease dub watchers who wouldn't give af about what I think to begin with? Plus I think I mainly dislike the acting itself rather than the annoying voices, so it's probably a waste of effort anyways.

Besides, english sounds like crap. It would be a great language was it not for its nonsense phonetics. I'd much rather listen to chinese, in fact I love it.
May 3, 2023 7:35 AM
Jan 2022
Original language = vastly superior

May 3, 2023 7:40 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
subways sucks idk what ur talking about bro

May 3, 2023 8:28 AM
Jul 2018
BerriesSan said:
subways sucks idk what ur talking about bro
Man, stop the Subway Surfer slander 😤😤😤
May 3, 2023 9:14 AM

Feb 2023
Yes. Sub is always better. Don't even bother with the dub unless it's your absolute only choice, and you are absolutely unable to watch the subbed version for some reason.
May 3, 2023 9:20 AM

Mar 2021
Subs are superior overall but that doesn't mean dubs are all bad
Yyh, bebop, d-note, panty&stockings, db's dubs are better than their subbed versions

Subs are better for entertainment, dubs are better for when you gotta work while watching anime
May 3, 2023 9:25 AM

Jan 2021
pretty much 99% are better in sub I don't think anyone should even bother trying the dub for anime anymore used to have some gems but now they all just suck.
May 3, 2023 9:48 AM

Apr 2022
well if you have watched anime long enough you realize that sometimes dub are much better than the sub version. hard to swallow but it does happen.
May 3, 2023 10:27 AM

Nov 2011
if you want to enjoy anime in the original dialogue, you'll need to learn the language. sometimes subs can be accurate enough. other times, however, it deviates significantly from the original dialogue and it can be hard to tell when that happens unless you already have some knowledge of the language. even "professional" subtitles can make dubious translations at times (example: she think she's better than us just 'cuz she's better than us meme subtitle in Spy Classroom).

as for me, i watch in Japanese audio with no subtitles when possible most of the times. older classics like the first few seasons of Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z, Sakura card captor, etc are an obvious exception.
Portuguese dubs for Dragon Ball Z were amazing. they made an effort to make the opening retain the "feel" of the original opening, though it has a different lyrics. English dubs are fine when it comes to the actual episodes, but they dropped the dragon balls when it comes to the opening sequence. completely different from the original, and not in a good way. same goes with Sakura card captor.
the Portuguese dub of Sakura card captor opening is really beautiful and sung by a female singer as one would expect. this makes sense since the series is a shoujo and the original opening was sung by a female singer. meanwhile, the English version is sung by a male and uses random clips put together, resulting in an opening inferior to the original or the Portuguese version.
Pokemon is one exception where the opening is very different from the original, but in a good way. Gotta Catch ’Em All! is so much better than the original 'Aim to be a Pokemon Master' opening.

edit: correction: the official sub said 'she thinks she's better than us', and not 'she thinks she's right'. fixed.
DreamingBeatsMay 3, 2023 10:35 AM
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
May 3, 2023 10:35 AM

Oct 2019
no no no and no

I'm so sick of this question. it's dumb.

it's like anime vs cartoons

or tv shows vs movies

it depends on the show or movie. not every dub, nor every sub is the same quality. in many cases the sub is better, in many other the dub is better, in many others both are equal.

BUT

I do think that the sub has a higher average, due to the fact that dubs have much lower bottom of the barrel compared to subs. 
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 3, 2023 10:40 AM

Oct 2019
Fischer77 said:
pretty much 99% are better in sub I don't think anyone should even bother trying the dub for anime anymore used to have some gems but now they all just suck.

now they all sucks?

I'll just leave some great modern dubs here since I know this comes from not actually hearing any of them:

assassination classroom, akudama drive, sonny boy, 86, love is war (this one is a love it or hate it), mars red, id:invaded, ACCA 13, princess principal, Mob psycho 100 (they half ruined it for s3 but still), beastars, death parade, konosuba, cyberpunk and more.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 3, 2023 10:47 AM

Aug 2012
I think the original language is always better to listen to.
There will be issues when dubbing something since some info might be translated differently, just like it can happen sometimes with subs but a lot less often.

I always prefer and watch subs, even the good dubs dont really hold a candle to original voices 99% of the time.
Even if its nostalgia ive just discarded it entirely since Ive come to enjoy Dragon ball way more in the original voices.
May 3, 2023 11:01 AM

Feb 2016
RentNoGirlfriend said:
I can't say I've heard every single EN voice actor, but also what are the chances that I only heard the worst ones?
So I'll just dismiss the whole dub thing as garbage and call it a day. Life is too short to be fair about every single thing, and for what? To appease dub watchers who wouldn't give af about what I think to begin with? Plus I think I mainly dislike the acting itself rather than the annoying voices, so it's probably a waste of effort anyways.

Besides, english sounds like crap. It would be a great language was it not for its nonsense phonetics. I'd much rather listen to chinese, in fact I love it.
so you're saying all dubbed anime is trash then?
May 3, 2023 11:02 AM

Feb 2016
Prany21 said:
so sub is better for every single anime in your opinion?
May 3, 2023 11:05 AM
Jan 2022

SupremeGod said:
Prany21 said:
so sub is better for every single anime in your opinion?
Yes, except for shows which I'm used to in dub from childhood. In the end, it's just an opinion, I don't really see the point in this discussion.

May 3, 2023 11:11 AM

Mar 2008
No sometimes the dub is better and even the Japanese staff may agree

I watch subs mostly but sometimes subs get in the way of actually watching the show because youre focusing on the subtitles so much. I have so many times i have to pause and rewatch scenes just to make sure i saw something right or finish reading the subtitle that went by before i could get it all. It's gotten to where i just sometimes ignore the subtitles and attempt to understand Japanese for more common phrases at least.
May 3, 2023 11:13 AM

Feb 2016
ForgotEyeWasHere said:
Yes. Sub is always better. Don't even bother with the dub unless it's your absolute only choice, and you are absolutely unable to watch the subbed version for some reason.
so every dub anime is trash in your opinion then?
May 3, 2023 11:15 AM

Jul 2021
SupremeGod said:
so you're saying all dubbed anime is trash then?
Yep, that's pretty much what I'm saying. If you look hard enough perhaps you might even find a good dub, but it's not worth the effort.
May 3, 2023 11:18 AM

Feb 2016
which animes are better in dub in your opinion?
May 3, 2023 11:20 AM

Aug 2018
*yawn* always the same debates....

May 3, 2023 11:25 AM

Feb 2016
Shidoteki said:
There will be issues when dubbing something since some info might be translated differently, just like it can happen sometimes with subs but a lot less often.

I always prefer and watch subs, even the good dubs dont really hold a candle to original voices 99% of the time.
Even if its nostalgia ive just discarded it entirely since Ive come to enjoy Dragon ball way more in the original voices.
so you really think dragon ball is better subbed than dubbed?
May 3, 2023 11:26 AM

Aug 2012
SupremeGod said:
Shidoteki said:

Yeah, cuz I said its not just about how good it sounds its also about the character dialogue information that is lost.
Dragon Ball Kai subbed is super consistent so I just prefer it overall
May 3, 2023 11:40 AM

Feb 2016
Shidoteki said:
SupremeGod said:

Yeah, cuz I said its not just about how good it sounds its also about the character dialogue information that is lost.
Shidoteki said:
SupremeGod said:

so every single anime in your completed list you watched it in sub?
May 3, 2023 11:41 AM

Aug 2012
SupremeGod said:
Shidoteki said:

Shidoteki said:

Yup all of them.
Why? Is that hard to believe or something?
May 3, 2023 11:43 AM

Apr 2016
Yeah pretty much. Some rare dubs I might consider equal but none have been superior to the sub version and out of all the dubs I've watched, only a few German ones I might consider equal (I'm not German btw). English dubs are usually pretty yikes to me.
I still want to watch Gosick in French at least once (I'm also not French). Victorique's French is just so hilariously bad in Japanese. XD

This is not limited to anime btw. Any movie, I prefer watching it subbed. Exceptions are when I'm watching something with a child who can't read yet or can't read the subs fast enough yet.
May 3, 2023 11:46 AM

Jan 2021
Yes, it's absolutely superior, in just every aspect. Anyone who says otherwise is nostalgia blind.
May 3, 2023 11:57 AM

Oct 2013
As long as Dragon Ball is still around, that answer is a resounding no. Also obligatory "Ghost Stories is the best dub ever". 
May 3, 2023 12:04 PM

Feb 2016
Shidoteki said:
SupremeGod said:

Yup all of them.
nope just asking you're probably one of the few people that prefer dragon ball in sub
May 3, 2023 12:08 PM

Aug 2012
SupremeGod said:
Shidoteki said:

Yup all of them.
nope just asking you're probably one of the few people that prefer dragon ball in sub

Well thats cuz im one of the few people that think Dragon ball is a masterpiece thanks to its story.
People that watch the dub wouldnt have the same information as me
May 3, 2023 12:09 PM

Jan 2017
Depends on the show. Great voice acting is great voice acting, no matter what language it's in. I actually prefer the English dubs of Code Geass and Yu Yu Hakusho to the original audio tracks, and I think the dubs of FLCL and Haruhi Suzumiya are exactly on par with the original versions. Hell, I usually watch Azumanga in Japanese out of nostalgia, but the dub is honestly excellent and I offer it when showing it to new people.

Biggest complaint I've heard about (competent) English dubs is that they're "unrealistic". As if the original audio isn't. Hot take, but most people only recognize how "unrealistic" the acting is because they speak, and listen to other real people speak, English, on the daily. Amongst Japanese speakers in the real world, nobody talks like Haruhi Suzumiya, and nobody talks like Captain Harlock. Animated characters aren't (usually) supposed to be super realistic, if the actor can communicate the character's emotions and personality, that's all that matters. The English voice acting doesn't need to be "realistic" when the original audio sure as hell wasn't; it just needs to be competent.

I think it really comes down to personal preference, on a show-by-show basis. I don't doubt that there are dub watchers in this world who only listen to dubs out of some kind of distaste for Japanese culture, and there have been plenty of bad dubs in the past (whether it's bad acting or a butchered script that weighs it down), but I think those are both beyond the scope of this topic.

SupremeGod said:

I don't think I know anyone personally who prefers the dub of Dragon Ball. Even my friend who admires anime dubs more than I do kind of hates it. We're out here
trulywaathMay 3, 2023 12:16 PM
My pronoun is he, because I'll never be him.
May 3, 2023 12:10 PM

Aug 2012
Ionliosite2 said:
Yes, it's absolutely superior, in just every aspect. Anyone who says otherwise is nostalgia blind.

I second this.
I dont like that a lot of people have nostalgia goggles for everything

Naruto was my entire childhood but i wouldnt watch it dubbed nor would I give the anime more than a 7/10 rating
May 3, 2023 12:11 PM

Feb 2016
Pit93 said:
Yeah pretty much. Some rare dubs I might consider equal but none have been superior to the sub version and out of all the dubs I've watched, only a few German ones I might consider equal (I'm not German btw). English dubs are usually pretty yikes to me.
I still want to watch Gosick in French at least once (I'm also not French). Victorique's French is just so hilariously bad in Japanese. XD

This is not limited to anime btw. Any movie, I prefer watching it subbed. Exceptions are when I'm watching something with a child who can't read yet or can't read the subs fast enough yet.
you think FMAB is better subbed than dubbed?
May 3, 2023 12:13 PM

Feb 2016
Ionliosite2 said:
so there is not a single anime that has a good dub in your opinion?
May 3, 2023 12:16 PM

Feb 2016
Shidoteki said:
SupremeGod said:

Well thats cuz im one of the few people that think Dragon ball is a masterpiece thanks to its story.
People that watch the dub wouldnt have the same information as me
what makes dragon ball subbed so good in your opinion?
May 3, 2023 12:17 PM

Sep 2007
gakuendo said:
well if you have watched anime long enough you realize that sometimes dub are much better than the sub version. hard to swallow but it does happen.
I  agree, but depends ho well the dub is and what kind of theme/setting the show is,
May 3, 2023 12:21 PM
Apr 2023
[font="Söhne, ui-sans-serif, system-ui, -apple-system, \"Segoe UI\", Roboto, Ubuntu, Cantarell, \"Noto Sans\", sans-serif, \"Helvetica Neue\", Arial, \"Apple Color Emoji\", \"Segoe UI Emoji\", \"Segoe UI Symbol\", \"Noto Color Emoji\""]The preference for subbed or dubbed anime varies from person to person. Some people prefer watching anime with subtitles to maintain the original audio and retain the cultural references of the language. On the other hand, some people prefer dubbed anime because it's easier to understand and allows them to focus on the animation.[/font]
[font="Söhne, ui-sans-serif, system-ui, -apple-system, \"Segoe UI\", Roboto, Ubuntu, Cantarell, \"Noto Sans\", sans-serif, \"Helvetica Neue\", Arial, \"Apple Color Emoji\", \"Segoe UI Emoji\", \"Segoe UI Symbol\", \"Noto Color Emoji\""]It's not fair to say that every dub is inferior to the sub, as some dubs can be well-made and accurately translated, while others may not be. Similarly, some subs may not be accurate or have poor translations, while others can be well-made. Ultimately, it's up to personal preference and which version the viewer enjoys more.[/font]
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Your favourite romance ( 1 2 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Today

68 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
2 minutes ago

» what is the best slice of life anime and why ?

ame - 46 minutes ago

4 by Kazari29 »»
6 minutes ago

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Yesterday

84 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
12 minutes ago

» When was the last time you felt happy/satisfied after watching an anime episode? :)

Rinrinka - Mar 27

30 by Entity72 »»
28 minutes ago

» What does the Anime you watch say about you

ST63LTH - Yesterday

21 by Jozuwa-_- »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.