Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 22, 2023 5:07 PM
Jan 2021
Hello fellow enjoyer's of anime. Long time ago i decided to start watching fate so i looked up a watch order since there were some many season's of this anime, and the site i looked the watch order from said i should watch fate/zero first and so i did. But nothing made sense to me so i dropped it. Now i want to try giving it another chance. But instead of going to some random site to look for a watch order i thought i should ask the community in what order should i watch fate so i could get the best experience possible. That being said if u have time it would mean a lot to me if you could help me out with this!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 22, 2023 5:15 PM

Jul 2021
Fate Stay night> Fate Unlimited blade works>Fate heavens feel> Fate Zero>Any other random Fate

Anyone that says watch fate zero first is just wicked
Apr 22, 2023 5:25 PM
Apr 2022
Hello fellow enjoyer of anime.

Fate is one of the best franchises I have had the opportunity to experience thus far. I would recommend starting the series with Fate/Zero, as it is the most solid starting point in my opinion. It also canonically comes before the first-ever released Fate anime, Fate/Stay Night. The Fate anime series is an adaptation of Visual Novels of the same name, therefore the story is often cut short for the anime while adapting as Visual Novels tend to be longer.

If you would like, perhaps you can start with the aforementioned Fate/Stay Night anime. It was the first one ever released, and although a very good anime, it's not the strongest suit of the Fate franchise. But take my word with a grain of salt, as many still argue over the best canon. The other option is Fate/Unlimited Blade Works. It is an awesome anime as well, but I reckon it will be definitely more confusing to watch. And whenever you do watch it, watch the series and not the movies of UBW, because, for some reason, they exist and it's enough of a reason to not watch them.

Other than that, many new people who get into the Fate franchise nowadays start with Heaven's Feel movie trilogy. They are good movies that are, to a certain extent, self-contained, but you would enjoy and understand them better if you have the Fate lore by your side while watching them.

So, I would suggest starting with Fate/Zero only. Stick with it, you will slowly understand. The second season also gets much better than the first. Then, hop on to Fate/Stay Night. Follow up with the UBW anime series, and then finally Heaven's Feel. After that, you are free to branch wherever you want I presume. There is a plethora of Visual Novels, anime series, spin-offs, games, etc.

We welcome you to this degenerative circle of Fate fans with open arms. Hope you get your historical fiction right. Have a nice time here :-).
Apr 22, 2023 5:28 PM
Jun 2020
IdkWhatToPutAtm said:
Hello fellow enjoyer's of anime. Long time ago i decided to start watching fate so i looked up a watch order since there were some many season's of this anime, and the site i looked the watch order from said i should watch fate/zero first and so i did. But nothing made sense to me so i dropped it. Now i want to try giving it another chance. But instead of going to some random site to look for a watch order i thought i should ask the community in what order should i watch fate so i could get the best experience possible. That being said if u have time it would mean a lot to me if you could help me out with this!

I would recommend to start with Fate/stay night (2006). Stay Night's main story is divided in 3 timelines and that is the only anime adaptation we have of the first one, it's not as good as the rest of the series, but it's the real starting point of Fate.

After Fate/stay night (2006) you can watch the second timeline:
- Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works Prologue
- Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV)
- Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 2nd Season (+ epilogue)
- Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works - Sunny Day (An alternative ending to the series)

The third timeline is the movie trilogy:
- Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel I. Presage Flower
- Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel II. Lost Butterfly
- Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel III. Spring Song

I would recommend to watch the Kara no Kyoukai (Garden of Sinners) movies before Heaven's Feel in order to understand the third movie better. They're an alternative Timeline to Fate and can be watched before it. Watch them in release order, it's not chronological, but it was intended that way, it's a mystery story.

After all that you can watch these ones that are prequels to stay night (goes before in the timeline, but were released after):

- Fate/Zero
- Fate/Zero 2nd Season
- Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note
- Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo OVA
- Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo Special

That is the main Fate Series.
Apr 22, 2023 5:33 PM
Mar 2021
I recommend you to watch Fate Zero first then Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works ( you can also watch "Fate stay night"before unlimited blade works. "Fate Stay Night" is alternative of Unlimited Blade Work either way. After this go for Fate Heavens Feels (which consist of 3 movies) And after you can watch Grand Order or Fate Apocrypha both of these alternative series are good also.
Apr 22, 2023 5:39 PM
Jan 2022
I know it has nothing to do with this forum, but I have a question. If you go to your list and touch on the blue written "Entries", you can see multiple stats. What does "Score Dev: -0.51" mean? Appreciate any answer.
Apr 22, 2023 5:39 PM
Mar 2021
I went Fate/zero>Fate stay night>heavens feel movies>anything else
Apr 22, 2023 5:47 PM
Apr 2022
Ripperdoc said:
I know it has nothing to do with this forum, but I have a question. If you go to your list and touch on the blue written "Entries", you can see multiple stats. What does "Score Dev: -0.51" mean? Appreciate any answer.

I reckon it means deviation from the mean score that other people are giving. Not sure though.
Apr 22, 2023 5:50 PM
Jan 2022
hata_mayayoshi said:
Ripperdoc said:

I reckon it means deviation from the mean score that other people are giving. Not sure though.

Hmm.. that makes not much sense to me. Do you mean the mean score of the entire list of all MAL members?
Apr 22, 2023 5:55 PM
Feb 2020
Fate/Zero > Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works > Fate/Stay Night Heaven's Feel movie trilogy.

Best order I would say, people argue over f/z being first as it does contain a few spoilers for ubw, however I think it's not a massive sacrifice for the chronological and easy to understand order as well as establishing the world and plot going forward.
Apr 22, 2023 5:56 PM
Nov 2019
Cestlavie_ said:
Fate Stay night> Fate Unlimited blade works>Fate heavens feel> Fate Zero>Any other random Fate

It’s me, I watched fate zero first XD
Apr 22, 2023 6:02 PM
Feb 2020
Also, I have heard the Fate/Stay Night adaptation is atrocious, although I have not seen it myself and instead read the visual novel.

If you are willing to give it a try you can, it would fit in just before Unlimited Blade Works and after Fate/Zero, but if you feel it is as others have labelled it, you can skip it as many people have, you will only be missing out on the Fate route of the anime rather than some integral prequel or story.

If you are still interested in experiencing the Fate route but do not want to go through Studio Deen's adaptation, I heavily recommended the original visual novel, I can tell you it expands much more than the anime and does the story in a better way in my opinion.
Apr 22, 2023 6:39 PM

Jun 2021
Basically you can either watch fate zero > fate stay night unlimited blade works > fate stay night heavens feel, or you can watch unlimited blade works > heavens feel > fate zero. I watched fate zero first, so that's what I would recommend. Also fate zero is by far the best out of all the fate anime so it makes the most sense to watch it first to get invested in the series. I don't know how far you made it in fate zero but it shouldn't really be confusing as long as you manage to make it through the long ass exposition dump of a first episode. The only really confusing part is the finale. Either way, once you watch zero unlimited blade works and heavens feel you can watch apocrypha, prisma illya, grand order, last encore, and all of the other spinoffs in basically any order.
Apr 22, 2023 6:50 PM
Feb 2023
I recommend watching by release order. Many people recommend starting with fate zero because it's higher quality animation. My problem with that is that fate zero would spoil important plot points and reveals from the original series.

I also feel that the original series was better at story telling.

If you're going to to watch by release order I would recommend skipping the UBW movie and just watching the UBW season.
Apr 22, 2023 6:57 PM
Jun 2021
Cestlavie_ said:

tbh i watched fate zero first and understood everything pretty well.
i do prefer watching or playing prequels first.
although episode 1 was a little complicated i will admit that, but i dont think UBW or the original show explains anything that you wont understand by episode 3 of zero
Apr 22, 2023 7:18 PM
Nov 2021
This question never gets old.... Btw I watched in the order
Fate/zero
Fate Stay night ubw
Fate stay night heavens feel
Fate stay night
Apr 22, 2023 7:47 PM

Jan 2021
you watch main series then the prequal
Fsn 2006> UBW> HF> Zero
whatever you do, do not start with zero
it being a prequal spoils many things and is a bad Tone Setter for the series.

people may say that zero explain things better but that is completely false.
Read the visual novel nerd
Apr 22, 2023 8:41 PM
Mar 2021
for me I feel like obviously fate fans are going to recommend the real way it suppose to be watch but you not a fan yet and I feel like fate zero is the way to start it since it more recent in terms of animation and more and a higher point in the show to start off on
Apr 22, 2023 8:44 PM
May 2022
Watch fate in the order of releasing rest you can watch without figuring out
Apr 22, 2023 8:44 PM

Dec 2016
Just watch Fate/Zero first. It serves as a good introduction into the world of Fate.
Apr 22, 2023 9:02 PM
Oct 2019
1- Fate/stay night (2006)
2- Fate/zero
3- Fate/stay night unlimited blade works
4- Fate/stay night Heaven's Feel
Rin_Tohsaka1Jun 10, 2023 12:52 PM
Apr 22, 2023 10:18 PM
Sep 2019
I would not recommend watching fate zero first. The first 2-3 episodes are insanely BORING if you don't know anything about the world. Those episodes are just straight exposition explaining everything in the driest way ever unless you already know what's going on. Ufotable also assumes you've seen the 2006 show. The 2006 show explains everything a lot better and you get a better understanding of the saber character. However it is the worst show by a long shot. I would say power through
1) deen studios fate stay night
2) fate zero,
3)Unlimited blade works
Then reward yourself with
4) The Heavens feel movies
Basically watch in order of release.
Apr 22, 2023 10:20 PM
Mar 2023
Fate/stay night
Fat/stay night UBW
Heavens feel
Fate zero
Apr 22, 2023 10:58 PM
Jan 2023
Cestlavie_ said:

no, fate/zero first
Apr 22, 2023 10:59 PM
Feb 2022
Cestlavie_ said:

bro i literally watched it like fate zero first and tbh the only change i found in review is that i like og fsn more than ubw
Apr 22, 2023 11:43 PM
May 2021
I see people here have less than 2 brain cells so let me enlighten y'all.
1st - Fate/Zero
2nd - Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works
After that you're free to watch anything else but I recomend Fate/Stay Night Heaven's Feel.
Apr 22, 2023 11:57 PM
Jul 2018
Stay Night -> Unlimited Blade Works -> Heaven' Feel.

The 3 shows I just listed up there are adaptations of Fate's source material. Fate/Zero is a prequel written by a completely different team, and while good, should not be consumed after the originals. It actively goes out of it's way to spoil major plot points, because it assumes you have read the original Fate Stay Night Visual Novel.
Apr 23, 2023 12:09 AM
Feb 2021
We should ban those threads, every few weeks there’s always the same post asking for Fate’s watch order….just take a look at post posts?
Apr 23, 2023 12:39 AM
Feb 2022
no i wont explaned it to you haha
Apr 23, 2023 12:43 AM

May 2021
The only correct Fate watch order :

1. Carnival Phantasm
2. Fate/Apocrypha
3. Fate/kalied
4. Fate Heaven's Feel
5. Fate/stay night (2006)
6. Fate/Grand Order Babylonia
7. Fate/Zero
8. Kara no Kyoukai
9. Fate UBW

Apr 23, 2023 12:47 AM

Jan 2017
IdkWhatToPutAtm said:
in what order should i watch fate so i could get the best experience possible.

I'm a little bit late , but here is the complete order :

IdkWhatToPutAtm said:
and the site i looked the watch order from said i should watch fate/zero first and so i did. But nothing made sense to me so i dropped it.

Zero assume you already watched the 3 Fate/Stay Night Anime , so it can be kinda confusing if you didn't.
However , Zero spoils almost all twists of Fate (Especially Heaven's Feel) in the 2 first episodes , so if you remember even just a little of it , maybe you should just finish Zero before.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Apr 23, 2023 2:59 AM
Jan 2021
As i said i watched fate long time ago so i don't remember much of the anime in general, since my brain is pretty shitty if an anime  has too much information to process in a short period of time it needs to be read at least 5-6 times to be processed fully which at the time i did not do. So i don't remember any of the dialogue, the only thing i remember is a few fight scenes but i don't remember the finishes of the fight's either because throughout the fights i tried to remember who is who and didn't give fights attention that much. The only fight i remember is a fight between some dude in a what looks like golden armor and he had a spear he fought with. That's the only fight i remember fully from fate/zero i also remember some other fights but not the finishes of them.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 23, 2023 4:25 AM

Aug 2020
I used to have an opinion but no longer care.
in all honesty, you should watch in order you like
Apr 23, 2023 4:29 AM

Jan 2018
Fate/Zero is an absolute masterpiece and by far the best of the franchise. Definitely watch it first because Fate/ Stay Night and all of its routes will spoil the ending of Zero.
Apr 23, 2023 4:52 AM

Aug 2020
1. Fate/stay night 2006
2. Unlimited Blade Works 2015
3. Heaven's feel trilogy
Zero is not even part of the main timeline, its completely optional to watch and if it is watched it should be seen just like any other spinoff, after seeing the main story
H4y4shi said:
Fate/Zero > Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works > Fate/Stay Night Heaven's Feel movie trilogy.

Best order I would say, people argue over f/z being first as it does contain a few spoilers for ubw, however I think it's not a massive sacrifice for the chronological and easy to understand order as well as establishing the world and plot going forward.
by "a few spoilers for ubw" do you mean several of the main reveals of heaven's feel in the first two episodes for completely no reason? and "chronological" does not apply because zero is not a direct prequel but a completely separate timeline from the main FSN story, which explains why so many out of character moments happen for saber and kirei
Darthe_XXI said:
Cestlavie_ said:

no, fate/zero first
absolutely not
Taguri said:
1st - Fate/Zero
After that you're free to watch anything else but I recomend Fate/Stay Night Heaven's Feel.
i love it when someone so arrogantly thinks they understand things on a deep level but its just an obvious vapid display of dunning kruger gone rampant
nobodys forcing you to type about things youre clueless about so why do you do it
Hayle93 said:
Fate/Zero is an absolute masterpiece and by far the best of the franchise. Definitely watch it first because Fate/ Stay Night and all of its routes will spoil the ending of Zero.
lowest iq post in this thread BY FAR. might actually be the stupidest post i've seen on any fate related discussion anywhere.. congrats?
Apr 23, 2023 5:05 AM
May 2021
offcrack said:
1. Fate/stay night 2006
3. Heaven's feel trilogy
Zero is not even part of the main timeline, its completely optional to watch and if it is watched it should be seen just like any other spinoff, after seeing the main story
H4y4shi said:

by "a few spoilers for ubw" do you mean several of the main reveals of heaven's feel in the first two episodes for completely no reason? and "chronological" does not apply because zero is not a direct prequel but a completely separate timeline from the main FSN story, which explains why so many out of character moments happen for saber and kirei
Darthe_XXI said:

no, fate/zero first
absolutely not
Taguri said:
1st - Fate/Zero
i love it when someone so arrogantly thinks they understand things on a deep level but its just an obvious vapid display of dunning kruger gone rampant
nobodys forcing you to type about things youre clueless about so why do you do it
Hayle93 said:
lowest iq post in this thread BY FAR. might actually be the stupidest post i've seen on any fate related discussion anywhere.. congrats?

Example of an idiot :3
Apr 23, 2023 5:53 AM
Feb 2021
It dosn't matter it's just fate.
There is no watch order! if you want more explaination watch giguk video explaining fate series.

fate serise is fucked up but i like fate.
i reccomend you watching by this order👇

fate/zero ---> fate/stay night unlimited blade works (not the movie) ---> fate/stay night heaven's feel.

After these watch whatever you want, these are the main ones.😉
Apr 23, 2023 6:55 AM

Jan 2021
Hayle93 said:

the ending of zero cant be spoiled as its a PREQUAL
Apr 23, 2023 7:08 AM

Jan 2021
Taguri said:
offcrack said:
1. Fate/stay night 2006
3. Heaven's feel trilogy
absolutely not

how can he be an example of an idiot when you are the one reccomending watching a spin off before the second third of the main story
Apr 23, 2023 7:14 AM
Apr 2023
Why zoomers are so lazy to check the previous threads where the same thing was asked and answered gazillion times before.
Apr 23, 2023 7:22 AM

Apr 2022
just go to my MAL profile, the order for the complete franchise is there
Apr 23, 2023 7:23 AM

Apr 2022
Taguri said:
1st - Fate/Zero

yup, totally agreed
Apr 23, 2023 7:38 AM
Jun 2021
IdkWhatToPutAtm said:

hi I would recommend for you to watch first fate zero it'll introduce you what's holy grail war was and it has great plot then next fate ubw then fate stay night from there, you can watch other sequels or spin off.
Apr 23, 2023 7:39 AM
Nov 2021
Cestlavie_ said:

And if you started fate with zero be because every source said so?
Apr 23, 2023 8:02 AM

Jul 2022
Ubw,Heavens Feel, Zero

Go

Apr 23, 2023 8:05 AM
Jun 2022
Fate/Zero
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works
Fate/Stay Night [Heaven's Feel] 1-3 (movies)
Fate/grand order first order
Fate/prototype
Fate/Apocrypha
Fate/Extra last encore
Fate/Grand Order – Absolute Demonic Front: Babylonia
Fate/kalied liner permisa iliya the movie
Fate/Grand Order THE MOVIE – Divine Realm Of The Round Table: Camelot 2 movies
Fate/carnival
Fate/Grand Order: Final Singularity – Grand Temple Of Time: Solomon
Apr 23, 2023 8:10 AM

Aug 2020
Twighhhh said:
Cestlavie_ said:

"every" source is stupid and wrong, objectively, in that case
the visual novel released in 2004 without fate zero even existing as a concept and is adapted with the first 3 shows enumerated in that list, fate zero came after and was never even intended as mandatory reading because its a different timeline where characters act in ways they shouldnt considering how they are in the visual novel. people only list zero as a good entry point cuz they dont actually understand that fate is a story that is built upon further with each route AND they dont want to watch a non ufotable anime even though its 100% a better introduction to fate because you know, its actually RELEVANT to the plot youre going to be seeing unravel in the next two routes. zero has legitimately null narrative relevance to fsn and in fact you can say awtching it first actively takes away from your watching experience as youre spoiling yourself a bunch of twists just to see an inferior thematically incomplete quasi prequel featuring an edgelord in a trenchcoat
Apr 23, 2023 8:57 AM

Aug 2020
Reading these threads is fun.
This debate is endless.
Apr 23, 2023 9:08 AM

Jan 2017
IdkWhatToPutAtm said:
As i said i watched fate long time ago so i don't remember much of the anime in general

Then i guess you can start over by following the list i made above.

Taguri said:

Many peoples forget that Zero is a fan-fiction...

Twighhhh said:

It's the problem with the community , and also if you go to some click bait shit site to see some orders.
The only true source that you should always look up is the original one.

Fate/Stay Night is a Visual Novel from 2004 , which contains 3 story that you are forced to play in a certain order (Fate > UBW > HF).
Then in 2006 , a Light Novel about Kiritsugu was released.
There absolutely no need to debate what to do now.

quietkun27 said:
Fate/Grand Order – Absolute Demonic Front: Babylonia
Fate/kalied liner permisa iliya the movie
Fate/Grand Order THE MOVIE – Divine Realm Of The Round Table: Camelot 2 movies
Fate/carnival
Fate/Grand Order: Final Singularity – Grand Temple Of Time: Solomon

This have absolutely no sense.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Apr 23, 2023 9:22 AM

Jun 2021
fate zero > fate stay night ubw > fate stay night movies
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» The ufotable Production

BigHomieTrapa - Apr 11

2 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 15, 1:53 AM

Poll: » Fate/Zero Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

a6342164 - Oct 29, 2011

459 by JacobRitacco »»
Mar 15, 12:23 AM

Poll: » Fate/zero Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Oct 1, 2011

698 by damnit_tomioka »»
Mar 9, 1:25 AM

» Who's your favorite servant?

Ms_Muffin - Feb 19

47 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Feb 28, 5:46 PM

» Im about to start this but confused

TabutcuEmmi - Feb 7

44 by RulyKinkajou59 »»
Feb 10, 3:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.