Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 10, 2023 6:32 PM

Apr 2023
can be anime/manga/novel, basically what im looking for is something that feels more.. serious toned? i loved the maturity and natural feeling of the characters in moribito and just very solid story telling. 

other examples of what im looking for would be the manga golden days, i love three dimensional characters where the main cast all have engaging dynamics with each other. its story setting was immersive and had a bit of a somber feeling overall. 

Basically a story that takes itself seriously, when you finish it you feel satisfied. bonus points if its memorable and quotable. i tend to have a preference for fantasy and romance, but i am open to any genre!
Apr 10, 2023 7:17 PM
Mar 2015
If you liked Seirei no Moribito, i highly recommend that you watch The Twelve Kingdoms. It's a high fantasy anime (there's no romance though) with a very complex world building, great character development, intricate story line and, as Seirei, has an oriental setting. They are definitely more 'mature' shows. The main complain people have with The Twelve Kingdoms it's the studio Pierrot animation.

Also, as Seirei no Moribito, The Twelve Kingdoms only adapts the first part of the source material (Youko Nakajima's history in the first 39 episodes). The other 6 remaining episodes starts telling other character arc but it is incomplete.
Apr 10, 2023 7:35 PM

Apr 2023
DanilloMartins said:
If you liked Seirei no Moribito, i highly recommend that you watch The Twelve Kingdoms. It's a high fantasy anime (there's no romance though) with a very complex world building, great character development, intricate story line and, as Seirei, has an oriental setting. They are definitely more  'mature' shows. The main complain people have with The Twelve Kingdoms it's the studio Pierrot animation.

Also, as Seirei no Moribito, The Twelve Kingdoms only adapts the first part of the source material (Youko Nakajima's history in the first 39 episodes). The other 6 remaining episodes starts telling other character arc but it is incomplete.
Thanks, ill add it to the list! i think my brother read the novels years ago and had mentioned it before, but i never remembered to jot it down. it does seem like something id like.
Apr 10, 2023 8:25 PM

Oct 2014
Otogizoushi -- Same studio with the character designs being very, very similar. Although the first half of Otogi is medieval period, the 2nd half timeskips dramatically to modern-day Tokyo with reincarnated versions of the characters from the 1st half. So only the 1st half of Otogi is like Seirei no Moribito with the 2nd half being more of a modern supernatural mystery.

Seirei no Moribito is a much superior watch but at least the medieval part of Otogi has a similar feel, including the characters I mentioned earlier. Both have a female warrior protag (Balsa being much more skilled than Hikaru who is accompanied by her loyal retainer, Tsuna). Both feature a lot of outdoor travel & adventure.
8oomerApr 11, 2023 9:09 AM
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Apr 11, 2023 1:54 PM

Jan 2021
The post above already mentioned it, but you really need to watch Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, it's from much of the same staff as Moribito, to the point I'm sure Moribito was made as the fantasy version of SAC's sci-fi story.
Apr 11, 2023 2:10 PM

Apr 2023
Ionliosite2 said:
The post above already mentioned it, but you really need to watch Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, it's from much of the same staff as Moribito, to the point I'm sure Moribito was made as the fantasy version of SAC's sci-fi story.
i appreciate the recs from everyone! and i didnt know that about the staff, ill be sure to try it out :)

Apr 13, 2023 6:43 AM
Aug 2013
I watched Michiko & Hatchin around the same time as I watched Seirei No Moribito and I could notice so many things in common I almost thought the shows were influenced from each other. 

Here's some others you can try though:
Akatsuki no yona
Samurai champloo
Michiko & Hatchin
To Your Eternity

And also not really similar to Moribito, these are like more serious anime with good story:
Wolfs rain
Mo dao zu shi
Monster
Death note
91 days
Cyberpunk
Gungrave
Berserk (90's version)
Bungou stray dogs (Season 2, skip season 1)
The promised neverland (season 1)
Devilman crybaby
Vinland saga
Attack on titan
FMA brotherhood
Fate/zero
One piece
Jojo's bizarre adventure
Hunter x hunter 2011
Odd taxi
Asura (movie)
Made in abyss
Mushishi
Rainbow
Initial D
Land of the lustrous
Tokyo ghoul (season 1)
Parasyte
Texhnolyze
Magi series
Kizumonogatari movies
Dororo
Spy x family
Dorohedoro
Higurashi
Shiki
Shinsekai yori
Shinreigari
~AnimeDownUnder~

Apr 13, 2023 10:30 AM

May 2012
The closest thing to Moribito is Kemono no Sou-ja Erin. It's adapted from novels written by the same woman who penned Moribito, Uehashi Nahoko. She's an anthropologist by training which is why her stories concern things like foundational myths. We first meet Erin when she is perhaps eight. She wants to follow in her mother's footsteps and become a veterinarian to sacred beasts. Ultimately it's discovered she has a unique power and becomes a target of warring political factions. It's also by Production I.G.

The other option is to explore the Internet to find the second and third seasons of the live-action version of Moribito. The first season is carried on Amazon Prime and covers the same material as the anime. The second season concerns a possessed girl and is a bit too similar to Chagum's struggles. The third season is a gem, with Chagum now as a older adolescent trying to protect New Yogo from conquest by its neighbor to the south, the Karsh empire. The NHK also produced this series, and the visuals are often truly stunning. Seasons two and three are only available as fansubs.
Apr 13, 2023 11:11 PM

Apr 2023
SeijiSensei said:
The closest thing to Moribito is Kemono no Sou-ja Erin. It's adapted from novels written by the same woman who penned Moribito, Uehashi Nahoko. She's an anthropologist by training which is why her stories concern things like foundational myths. We first meet Erin when she is perhaps eight. She wants to follow in her mother's footsteps and become a veterinarian to sacred beasts. Ultimately it's discovered she has a unique power and becomes a target of warring political factions. It's also by Production I.G.

The other option is to explore the Internet to find the second and third seasons of the live-action version of Moribito. The first season is carried on Amazon Prime and covers the same material as the anime. The second season concerns a possessed girl and is a bit too similar to Chagum's struggles. The third season is a gem, with Chagum now as a older adolescent trying to protect New Yogo from conquest by its neighbor to the south, the Karsh empire. The NHK also produced this series, and the visuals are often truly stunning. Seasons two and three are only available as fansubs.
thank you for the info! sou-ja erin sounds good. and i had no idea moribito had a live action! id only heard of the novels, though id love to read those too. ive been getting into drama adaptions lately as ive learned some of my other favorites have them as well, looking forward to it.
May 17, 2023 7:43 AM

May 2012

Sadly, it appears that Amazon Prime has dropped this series, at least in the US.

Another possibility is https://myanimelist.net/anime/957/Saiunkoku_Monogatari. It's set in a faux-Chinese world that looks like the T'ang Dynasty (600-900 CE) but doesn't rely on the "Mandate of Heaven" legitimacy myth that is used extensively in Juuni Kokuki (Twelve Kingdoms). Saiunkoku is carried on Amazon as "Cloudcolour Palace," but it's only in English. That means you won't get to hear one of my favorite seiyuu, Kuwashima Houko, in the title role.

SeijiSenseiMay 17, 2023 3:22 PM

More topics from this board

» recommend me anime different from what i like or hidden gems of any genre

1darling - 30 minutes ago

2 by luckyrune »»
8 seconds ago

» Looking for a good anime that has concluded

IdleSolution - 7 hours ago

6 by mo_lave »»
1 hour ago

» looking for manga with a lot of secondhand embarassment and cringe

wormwormy - 11 hours ago

3 by RaviDavi »»
8 hours ago

» Looking for anime recs

Saiunknown - May 22

13 by AngelaWolter »»
10 hours ago

» I'm looking for mature, realistic high school romance media

KietaTeenRomance - May 30

10 by JoeChip »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.