Forum Settings
Forums

Don't you hate it when long awaited characters are revealed to be goofy in Shounen?

New
Mar 30, 2023 4:28 AM

Aug 2021
After years of characters hyping them for being strong and powerful while shown in shadow'ish figure?

Then when they get revealed, they're not someone you would imagine they would be (badass, tough, no-nonsense attitude etc). They're always goofy which completely ruined the mood like WTF?

Why do they keep doing this?
Mar 30, 2023 4:41 AM

Jun 2016
That Oden guy in One Piece is still the biggest disappointment in recent anime history.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 30, 2023 4:43 AM

May 2018
"Don't you hate it when long awaited characters are revealed to be goofy in Shounen?"

Sounds like a specific One Piece problem, but actually I love that.
Mar 30, 2023 4:59 AM

Mar 2021
You gonna give any examples or what ?

Theo1899 said:
That Oden guy in One Piece is still the biggest disappointment in recent anime history.

Don't know what you mean
Oden was amazing as a character
Mar 30, 2023 5:19 AM

Aug 2021
Za_Panda said:

They’re called sinister silhouettes

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SinisterSilhouettes
Howdym8Mar 30, 2023 5:39 AM
Mar 30, 2023 5:26 AM

Oct 2010
you literally described one piece, talk to oda to make actually cool characters instead of circus clowns but then again, one piece's appeal is exactly that
Mar 30, 2023 5:36 AM

May 2017
Theo1899 said:
What? I found him amazing. His personality was really fitting. And the only real goofy part on him was the things he did to save his people, which, in return, is totally not goofy at all. At the end of the day you are talking about OP, which has been pretty goofy from the start and imo Oden did fit really well into the story.
Mar 30, 2023 5:41 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know what specific shounen animes you're talking about that have those those type of characters. But based on everyone's responses, you may be talking about One Piece. Which isn't really surprising since it usually has unusual and eccentric characters.
removed-userMar 30, 2023 5:45 AM
Mar 30, 2023 5:53 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
No I like it.. Goofy characters that make me laugh is always appreciated

Mar 30, 2023 5:56 AM

Jun 2017
It happened so many times that I don't care about it anymore.
If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end.
” -Gintoki Sakata
Mar 30, 2023 6:03 AM

Feb 2018
Theo1899 said:

That Oden Guy? Did you just see a video of his dance and not watch/read the Wano arc lol.
Mar 30, 2023 6:33 AM

Jun 2016
Blackfire2340 said:
Theo1899 said:

That Oden Guy? Did you just see a video of his dance and not watch/read the Wano arc lol.

I watched and read most of it as you can see from my profile. I don't get why people would follow this guy. Seems too goofy.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 30, 2023 6:51 AM

Sep 2020
Not even sure what you're talking about. People mentioning Oden but he wasn't hyped up until we got to Wano and his first scene was cooking oden with the ashes of a dead person so make of that what you will. Jiraiya is also another one of those goofy characters but was never hyped up as someone serious. Or are you talking about Shanks? I need examples!

In sports anime, I do see that quite often but that's usually always a sign that they're more powerful than the audience thinks.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Mar 30, 2023 9:16 AM

Feb 2018
Theo1899 said:
I don't get why people would follow this guy.

Sounds like you were speed reading the Oden flashback to me.

Raizo would be a far better example of a goofy character that was hyped to be strong and powerful. Hell there are even jokes Luffy and Law make of Raizo not being what they expected.
Mar 30, 2023 10:44 AM

Jun 2016
Blackfire2340 said:
Theo1899 said:
I don't get why people would follow this guy.

Sounds like you were speed reading the Oden flashback to me.

Raizo would be a far better example of a goofy character that was hyped to be strong and powerful. Hell there are even jokes Luffy and Law make of Raizo not being what they expected.

I read it at my usual speed which is pretty normal I think + I also watched the anime. I never felt like everyone's worship of Oden was not justfied by what I saw of Oden as a character.
Maybe he's fine and I'm just biased because I have a certain image in my head of an inspiring leader but no one has ever managed to convince me otherwise.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 30, 2023 11:06 AM

Jul 2021
No, I simply don't watch the genre..
Mar 30, 2023 11:09 AM

Jan 2013
Howdym8 said:
Za_Panda said:

That's not an example of a specific character.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 30, 2023 11:23 AM
Feb 2022
Theo1899 said:
tf??
Oden was so good for that small Time
We don't got much of his fight scenes in canon but he wasn't a disappointment for sure.
Mar 30, 2023 11:27 AM

Aug 2020
This happens a lot in One Piece. Countless times.

Mar 30, 2023 11:28 AM
Feb 2022
I just read black clover and that wizard kings sure qualify for this

One of the most useless character.
Mar 30, 2023 11:29 AM

Mar 2023
I dont really have a problem with it. May even make the character more likeable.
Mar 30, 2023 11:29 AM

Feb 2021
Like Majin Boo from DBZ?

All that fear when he was being resurrected, only for him to be a goofy ass fat pink alien. 

Nah I love that trope
Mar 30, 2023 11:33 AM
Feb 2022
TheFireNinja said:
I don't know what specific shounen animes you're talking about that have those those type of characters. But based on everyone's responses, you may be talking about One Piece. Which isn't really surprising since it usually has unusual and eccentric characters.
here comes the actual nvm
"Based on the comments" tf bro reading with your eyes closed??
Mar 30, 2023 11:41 AM
Jul 2018
Sanjii_1234 said:
TheFireNinja said:
??? How am I supposed to know what the fuck he's talking about when he made a generalized question? And if you're too much of a puss to say what you want to say, don't waste my time reading your comment :)
Mar 30, 2023 11:45 AM
Feb 2022
TheFireNinja said:
Sanjii_1234 said:
??? How am I supposed to know what the fuck he's talking about when he made a generalized question? And if you're too much of a puss to say what you want to say, don't waste my time reading your comment :)
Then just don't answer like some shit if you don't know about anything.
I didn't read a manga/Anime
But I will say it is the answer of this thread while ignoring the same shit in my favourites hahahaha!!!(black clover and demon slayer)

Dummbpuss
No need to quote me!!
Sanjii_1234Mar 30, 2023 11:56 AM
Mar 30, 2023 11:47 AM

Mar 2021
Catalano said:
you literally described one piece, talk to oda to make actually cool characters instead of circus clowns but then again, one piece's appeal is exactly that

Better than the entire character cast of your favs lil bro

KitsuFrost said:

Badass characters like katakuri showing a goofy side (that donut song) actually makes them more fun as a character rather than sticking to one particular gimmick the whole time like the characters from clown clover or bleach

Howdym8 said:
Za_Panda said:

Gimme the names of them characters which you were mentioning
Za_PandaMar 30, 2023 11:51 AM
Mar 30, 2023 11:51 AM

Aug 2020
Za_Panda said:
Catalano said:

KitsuFrost said:

Badass characters like katakuri showing a goofy side (that donut song) actually makes them more fun as a character rather than sticking to one particular gimmick the whole time like the characters from clown clover or bleach

I actually prefer villains that act with some seriousness like Aizen.

And regarding OP, what me and the other guys are mentioning here is beyond this, and how the characters lose a good portion of their "badassness" with it + the same jokes as well.
I'm enjoying those answers very much.

Mar 30, 2023 11:52 AM

Aug 2020
KitsuFrost said:
Za_Panda said:

And regarding OP, what me and the other guys are mentioning here is beyond this, and how the characters lose a good portion of their "badassness" with it + the same jokes as well.

And even if they didn't, those Edvard Munch-esque "scream" faces aren't so funny anymore btw

Also, I like OP. That's why I can see all the hundreds of flaws this series and Oda writing has and still like it ^__^

Mar 30, 2023 12:02 PM

Mar 2021
KitsuFrost said:
Za_Panda said:

I believe that villains who show an unusual/non-evil side to them are as well written as villains who give 100% to their maliciousness. Like kaiki from monogatari is as well written as sato from ajin
Similarly gintoki isn't any less badass than guts just because he had a good amount of gag-comedic moments

Plus there are villains in one piece who have a background of seriousness to them like akainu, doffy, lucci, croco, blackbeard
Za_PandaMar 30, 2023 12:26 PM
Mar 30, 2023 12:16 PM
Oct 2019
As long as it's executed well, I wouldn't have an issue with this. A character can be fun and goofy, while also being badass, powerful, and serious when the time calls for it. A good example of this would be Goro Majima from the Yakuza games. Admittedly, he's a character who gets introduced pretty early in the first game, rather than being alluded to and hyped up for a long time, but my point is just that these traits can co-exist in a character in a way that won't leave you disappointed when the character is introduced. The writer just needs to know how to strike a balance between these traits.

More topics from this board

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

77 by InstantRamenKing »»
2 minutes ago

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 4 minutes ago

0 by ToastWithNutella »»
4 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Apr 25

36 by rohan121 »»
11 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream? ( 1 2 )

BroDa2545 - Apr 16

61 by vasipi4946 »»
12 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

47 by ryzxgum »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.