Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 7, 2023 10:46 AM

Apr 2018
Are Villains always wrong? Can they ever be right?
DragevardMar 7, 2023 10:49 AM
Mar 7, 2023 10:52 AM

May 2019
No not necessarily, Funny Valentine is arguably more morally correct and righteous than Johnny Joestar.
Mar 7, 2023 10:54 AM

Jan 2009
a lot of villains like Madara go for the end justifies the means (sometimes its correct) like they want to create a utopia but they do that through force
Mar 7, 2023 11:01 AM
Jul 2018
It depends. I can understand why some of them may have certain views and act on them as a result of their life or the world they live in.
removed-userMar 7, 2023 11:10 AM
Mar 7, 2023 11:04 AM
Jul 2018
Scar is the first I think of, when I think of anime villains, who kinda had a point.
Mar 7, 2023 11:17 AM
suii

Dec 2018
was light 100% wrong was madara 100 % wrong, whos to say
Mar 7, 2023 11:21 AM

Sep 2022
In Lycoris Recoil maybe they are right. At least I do understand the Joker-esque villain and his motivation.
AnimeRankingMar 7, 2023 11:27 AM
Mar 7, 2023 11:22 AM

Feb 2020
If they just randomly want to destroy the whole world, then yes.
Mar 7, 2023 11:23 AM
Jan 2020
There are villains like The Laughing Man and Rau Le Creuset that I gladly support.
Mar 7, 2023 11:24 AM
Feb 2022
Most of the shonen are villians are wrong
Author just tries to portray they are correct
Like in demon slayer or Naruto for sympathy

Though makishima shougo is first name that comes to my mind.
Mar 7, 2023 12:16 PM

Jun 2019
Of course not.

I think that all villains' actions usually make sense from their perspective in terms of their interests and what they're seeking to accomplish.

Now, whether I will like that villain either as a well-written character and worthy inclusion in the story or for who they actually are as a person/entity fundamentally, whether I'll sympathize or agree partially, completely, or not at all with their actions or the underlying motivations propelling them and over-arching goals those actions are designed to accomplish, is a different question and something which can vary wildly series to series.

The biggest dilemma for me over something like this in a series was in Higurashi.
Mar 7, 2023 4:26 PM

May 2018
Usualy a good villain has more good reasons and clear objectives than the actual heroes, where they lack is often in the means established to accomplish their goals. They're willing to do anything to succeed, which sometimes tends to lead to the discard of some important moral values. 

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Mar 7, 2023 4:44 PM

Aug 2019
No, and the "good guys" are not always right.
Mar 7, 2023 5:57 PM

Jul 2022
Yes. Their actions are understandable at times, but never justifiable.
Mar 8, 2023 12:28 AM

Oct 2010
Gyokuen was never wrong because she was a follower of Il-Irrah, she doesn't have a place in a world of Solomon's rukh but Shindabatto was because he was the Singularity in that world
Mar 8, 2023 12:51 AM
Jan 2021
Depends on the type. There are 2 that are most common. One is the "he is right but the methods are wrong" type and to say they are wrong there would need to be some objective morality about how to solve certain problems which there is not. Then there is the caricature type which is just "evil for the sake of it" meaning the villain just bases his choices on what is the most damaging to others with no particular deep reason or any kind of grand strategy. Even if morality is subjective it is hard to argue there is any validity to entertain that this type is in the right because it lacks any logic other than that the types just feels good about it or sometimes not even that. This type also rarely exists in the real world since most people have atleast some deeper reasoning for their actions even if it was connected essentially to some of the basic desires there is normally some justification involved that one could understand even if the person disagrees with it.

The villains in anime of the first type in my opinion tend to be right a lot of the time but the mainstream normie audience is trained to a certain set of moral standards that make them unable to entertain any other solution but the accepted one so in their morality they are wrong
Mar 8, 2023 12:56 AM

Aug 2021
No and yes, it depends on how you see the character.

Mar 8, 2023 2:15 AM

Sep 2021
example from outside of anime, but Ozymandias from Watchmen was right.
Mar 8, 2023 2:41 AM

Dec 2013
Villains are in the right 50% of the time. Since the road to HELL, is paved with good intentions.
Plus villains are more interesting compared to heroes in general. The hero just has the goal of maintaining the status quo. Which is BOOOORING, plus maintaining it, doesn't just mean things staying peaceful. It also means nothing improves and injustice keeps piling up in the shadows.
Mar 8, 2023 3:07 AM

May 2018
Most of the time in stories the villains are easily arguably wrong for reasons like world domination, subjugation of others, excessive harm to persons and such. tbh it could also be argued about whether those actions are always wrong depending on the values and morals of the ones judging. Like world domination could be legit if it is more about the idea of the villain ultimately acting out as a morally upstanding, virtuous, righteous god emperor.

Also the villains and heroes are subjective and depend on the lens of which we are looking through. The narratives can be flipped and flopped and made to turn all around with characters, motivations, settings, world building, politics and ethics/morals. A small example could be a world where morals went into a different direction from ours and the villain in that world wants to liberate or revolutionize the system. From our perspective the villain could be seen as a hero or just a villain depending on if we agree with the moral premise of that world, should it be changed or not.

I'm really blanking on examples and hypotheticals rn so this reply will be a little hard to follow, sorry about that.
Apr 2, 2023 1:38 AM

Mar 2021
Probably not, I think Light was right for wanting to make the world more safer overall
Apr 2, 2023 1:53 AM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Neither villain nor heroes, only exist the winner that personify anything become a truth either based on reality or artificially

Apr 2, 2023 2:14 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Villains are always right.. Can they ever be wrong?

Apr 2, 2023 2:17 AM

Apr 2022
Technically if Light really did as he said end up every wars and drop criminality so much (which we have no reason to think he didnt since he said that surrounded by policemen trying to arrest him who dont object that while they are his enemies and want to prove he is a liar so if he was lying on that they probably would have said something about how wrong that was and how much its a proof he lie all the time) he might have save more people than he killed, the whole point of Death Note is that its pretty debatable if he was or wasnt right to do so that being said. Also well...isnt the antagonist that definitively has many points is L in Death Note? Light is techically supposed to be the (anti) hero.

Vilains are always supposed to be wrong but some do have so much points and charisma not rooting for them is hard.

I can completely understand were Scar from FMA comes from with his background tough he is still wrong because Nina.

Outside of anime Poison Ivy is definitively right on many things also. She is pretty much a caricature of a radical ecologist from a reactionnary point of view, in reality radical ecologists are very much needed.

Tifa Lockhart (FFVII) - Forum Signature by craftyaegis on DeviantArt

Apr 2, 2023 2:30 AM

Mar 2019
Villains are usually opposed to the main character, so from the perspective of the main character they are always wrong. I guess a quite common narrative would be that the main character and the antagonist want the same thing, yet the antagonists methods are ideologically at odds with the main characters. A villain however would by definition be a villain, so there has to be something villainous about them, no? An antagonist would not automatically be a villain methinks.

I guess there's also the case where the main character is more villainous than the villain. In which case maybe the villain is less wrong than the main character.
Apr 2, 2023 2:40 AM

Dec 2018
I don't think discussions on morality are that inherently purposeful honestly. And safe to say I already dislike the "always right / wrong" sort of questions. And the most outrageous part is that you didn't define your "wrong" so I mean, no I guess?

Honestly morality ain't that deep. It's just a forever unresolved mess that's all. Only if we can at least agree on its most basic principle which is morality directly correlates with life itself, as in taking lives intrinsically opposes morality, but it's not so applicable in every case though is it. Ether way, if you think the guy is "right" then he probably is. Otherwise, that will now become your antagonist, or worse, villain.
. . .
Apr 2, 2023 3:19 AM

Jun 2017
They are either wrong or pathetic soyboys but there is like a 1% of villains who are right.
If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end.
” -Gintoki Sakata
Apr 2, 2023 3:45 AM

Nov 2014
Not always. Villains are villains because they make bad decisions in the eye of justice in force. It doesn't mean they are wrong just because they are against the system.

More topics from this board

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 5 hours ago

11 by GudBoy »»
46 seconds ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - Yesterday

42 by Shizuna »»
1 minute ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Apr 25

39 by Spunkert »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you track anime milestons?

zombie_pegasus - 9 hours ago

17 by NubFix »»
7 minutes ago

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 5 hours ago

18 by Gator »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.