Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 31, 2023 2:02 AM

Jan 2023
MadanielFL said:
Aren't fillers the main reason why?
to anyone who has seen them all, probably should be their favourite, otherwise they have wasted their time
Jan 31, 2023 2:03 AM

Jan 2023
MadanielFL said:
Aren't fillers the main reason why?
people can skip fillers and subtract those episodes from the total episode count to determine how much they love the series. Naruto without filler is still like 450 episodes.
Jan 31, 2023 2:04 AM

Jan 2023
Yuu Yuu hakusho looks very good, but with Naruto, people can skip the filler so there's no excuse, if theyve watched hundreds of episodes, it is one of their favourites
Jan 31, 2023 2:15 AM

Feb 2021
BestListMAL said:
Yuu_Kanzaki said:
Not really. They could've not made those shows, you know, long running back to back every week? Like the rest of seasonal for those animators to catch a break.

I did enjoy Naruto to the same extent. I just fucking hated to wait every week for another filler and next week for another filler. It's tiresome. I may have given it a 7 had it not been for the filler episodes. 
ahahha what lies, if you "hated" it you would have dropped it, just admit you love a bit of naruto and move on.
I literally mentioned I hated waiting for fillers. And what makes you think I actually watch every single episode lol? I skipped 100+ just to see how it ended, because I started this series and all. 
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Jan 31, 2023 2:23 AM

Jul 2013
touch grass before you murder someone
Jan 31, 2023 2:32 AM

Sep 2021
so Sazae-san is the best anime ever made? 
Jan 31, 2023 2:54 AM

Aug 2022
I wonder how long it will take for this gimmick account to be milked dry for him to call it quits, feels like it's already reached that point.

Jan 31, 2023 3:39 AM

Apr 2019
I personally believe in the concept of less is more when it comes to storytelling. I believe a good storyteller can craft a compelling narrative in extremely short pieces of fiction as well.

Also long running shonen are more loved than hated so I don't think people are being too harsh on them
Jan 31, 2023 3:48 AM

Aug 2018
playgamewithme14 said:
I wonder how long it will take for this gimmick account to be milked dry for him to call it quits, feels like it's already reached that point.
Lamest gimmick ever. He really needs to go back to the drawing board.
Jan 31, 2023 3:54 AM

May 2018
"You're all harsh on Long running shounen"

OP is mixing up addiction with actually enjoying a show.
Jan 31, 2023 4:00 AM

Feb 2014
Long running shounen suffer from a lack of mecha. Therefore they are both objectively and subjectively mid at best
That's the problem with eternal damnation, you get used to it after a while
Jan 31, 2023 4:20 AM
Nov 2019
BestListMAL said:
fyrflys said:
Imma play along with this for now...

The biggest flaw in your theory is that each episode gives the same enjoyment. If that were the case, then yes, more episodes watched would equal greater enjoyment and thus better show. But that is not the case. Episodes are not equal, both individually and when evaluated as a whole show. Lets compare a 50 episode series and say, a 12 episode one. If both series were of equivalent quality throughout, then, if we ignore the other issues with your theory, the 50 episode show would be better. However, if the viewer obtained more enjoyment from the 12 episode series than the 50 episode series, than the 12 episode series is better. Doesn't matter that the 50 episode show is longer, because its 50 episodes combined do not equal the quality and enjoyment of those 12 episodes combined. You could compare a 1000 episode show and a single ova, and if that ova brought more quality and enjoyment to the viewer than all 1000 episodes of the other show combined, then that single ova would be better.

And keep in mind, just because someone finishes a series doesn't mean they enjoyed it the same as other series. Excluding "hate watching" as you put it in another thread, I can watch a show, think its good, and decide to finish, while still thinking its not as good as another series I finished. It isn't as simple as enjoy or don't enjoy, there is a spectrum, hence why there is a rating system out of ten.

Also, the ideal length of a show itself is subjective. Some people prefer shorter shows. I am one of those people. I also prefer other genres over battle shounen, which makes up a great deal of the longer running shows. So watch time in itself is a stupid way to compare quality, when different genres tend to have different lengths of shows.
I agree with you, this spectrum is important to consider when rating subectively using your opinion, but when your list is facts like mine and many mal users expect me to provide them with the best factual list, I can not use these opinionated measures and can only rate on facts, hence my list is perfect taste.
"when your list is facts like mine and many mal users expect me to provide them with the best factual list" 

Excuse me but you gave Death Note a 10/10, that makes at east one entry where you are objectively wrong and that statement of yours invalid. 

Don't get me wrong it is a great show, but anyone who has seen the show knows that the second half is rushed, because it only got half as many episodes as the first half despite adapting nearly the same amount of content. 
This leads to characters who don't have all the necessary information coming up with hypotheses and declaring them as facts out of thin air. The viewer knows they are indeed correct since the viewer has seen the show and has all the information, but it doesn't make sense for a character in the show to act like they have seen the show... Not to mention the end which due to rushing comes of as kind of a deus-ex-machina (aka ass-pull).

If the second half would also have gotten ~24 episodes like the first half, those things would have had more time to breath and be developed properly. Then I could see Death Note as 10/10 but as it is now, it's objectively barely a 9/10.

EDIT:
Damn, you even gave SAO a 10/10. That confirms your list is in no way shape or form objective at all, because SAO has more flaws then there are stars in the universe (hyperbolically speaking). 
Yveltal1612Jan 31, 2023 4:34 AM
Jan 31, 2023 4:47 AM
Apr 2022
there should be a thread for "You're all harsh on Isekai" too
Jan 31, 2023 4:51 AM

Jun 2022
Saiorno said:
Sazae-san is the best anime if we restrict ourselves to Japanese animation, but Lan Mao would have to be the best series listed on MAL.
Jan 31, 2023 4:52 AM
Apr 2022
lol no matter what you do these users absolutely hate this demographic. I think this is the age where the era of Shounen dies. None is interested in these things anymore.
dumbandinsaneJan 31, 2023 5:02 AM
Jan 31, 2023 5:28 AM

Dec 2021
Even after removing all the fillers I still find the quality of those popular Shounen abominable
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
Jan 31, 2023 5:43 AM
Jan 2023
Someome forgot to write battle next to shonen in the title. And shounen is not a genre , it's a demographic.
Jan 31, 2023 6:23 AM

Sep 2010
It's usually only young people trashtalking long running shows because they can't be bothered to watch anything that is longer than 26 episodes or older than 5 years. Just the average Demon Slayer fanboy.
Jan 31, 2023 7:23 AM

Mar 2021
I am not
All of my top 3 are long shonens
All 10/10
Jan 31, 2023 7:33 AM

Jan 2022
The longer a show goes, the more likely it is to stumble. It's science lol. There's no way you can craft a tightly woven contained story that spans 1,000 episodes, so many cracks will start to form and it will implode on itself.
Jan 31, 2023 9:20 AM

Jan 2023
Yuu_Kanzaki said:
I literally mentioned I hated waiting for fillers. And what makes you think I actually watch every single episode lol? I skipped 100+ just to see how it ended, because I started this series and all. 
"yeah guys, so I drank 600 bottles of pepsi, but don't worry I skipped drinking 100 bottles of pepsi therefore pepsi sucks. Do you even hear yourself?!?!?!?
Jan 31, 2023 9:20 AM

Jan 2023
toxicsmurf said:
touch grass before you murder someone
I touch grass, at least with shoes on, do I have to personally touch it with my skin?
Jan 31, 2023 9:22 AM

Jan 2023
Saiorno said:
someone who has seen all of sazae san would probably assume so unless they've seen a longer show
Jan 31, 2023 9:23 AM

Jan 2023
playgamewithme14 said:
it isn't a gimmick account, I just have an awesome way of rating animes and love discussing with everyone in the forums
Jan 31, 2023 9:23 AM

Jan 2023
epidemia78 said:
playgamewithme14 said:
Lamest gimmick ever. He really needs to go back to the drawing board.
dude, not everything in life is supposed to be funny, I'm just enjoying discussing anime and sharing my taste.
Jan 31, 2023 9:24 AM

Jan 2023
alshu said:

if a show is so good that it is addicting, then its AMAZING
Jan 31, 2023 9:24 AM

Jan 2023
camay1997 said:
Long running shounen suffer from a lack of mecha. Therefore they are both objectively and subjectively mid at best
mecha's are usually good because they are 24 eps normally and very rewatchable
Jan 31, 2023 9:25 AM

Jan 2023
Yveltal1612 said:
"when your list is facts like mine and many mal users expect me to provide them with the best factual list" 

Excuse me but you gave Death Note a 10/10, that makes at east one entry where you are objectively wrong and that statement of yours invalid. 

Don't get me wrong it is a great show, but anyone who has seen the show knows that the second half is rushed, because it only got half as many episodes as the first half despite adapting nearly the same amount of content. 
This leads to characters who don't have all the necessary information coming up with hypotheses and declaring them as facts out of thin air. The viewer knows they are indeed correct since the viewer has seen the show and has all the information, but it doesn't make sense for a character in the show to act like they have seen the show... Not to mention the end which due to rushing comes of as kind of a deus-ex-machina (aka ass-pull).

If the second half would also have gotten ~24 episodes like the first half, those things would have had more time to breath and be developed properly. Then I could see Death Note as 10/10 but as it is now, it's objectively barely a 9/10.

EDIT:
Damn, you even gave SAO a 10/10. That confirms your list is in no way shape or form objective at all, because SAO has more flaws then there are stars in the universe (hyperbolically speaking). 
if the second half was so bad, no one would have watched it, and I've seen SAO twice and loved it both times
Jan 31, 2023 9:26 AM

Jan 2023
Faxtual_Ghoul said:
Even after removing all the fillers I still find the quality of those popular Shounen abominable
so don't watch bro, if you have watched, then just admit you're at least some what of a shounen fan
Jan 31, 2023 9:27 AM

Jan 2023
SaMMy17BST said:
The longer a show goes, the more likely it is to stumble. It's science lol. There's no way you can craft a tightly woven contained story that spans 1,000 episodes, so many cracks will start to form and it will implode on itself.
then why does so many people keep watching? clearly the story is world class if so many people can watch hunderds of episodes.
Jan 31, 2023 9:28 AM

Oct 2022
JaniSIr said:
Having a high episode count is nothing but a guarantee that the quality will eventually decline.
I mean, you do need a certain length to establish a story of certain complexity, but the only piece of literature that justified being ridiculously long is Warhammer 40k, and having read most of the Horus Heresy series, I can confirm that it has quite a lot of shitty entries.

Do you know the saying that "All good things must come to an end"? It's a personal insult to One Piece never ending. (And read the manga endings...)
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ANOTHER 40K fan lets gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

REGULAR SHOW TROUNCES ANY ANIME. PEAK FICTION

We protect other species because humans themselves are lonely creatures. We protect the environment because humans themselves don’t want to go extinct. What drives us is simply self-gratification. But I think that’s fine, and that it’s really all there is to it. There’s no point in despising humans by human standards. That’s right. So in the end, it’s hypocritical for us to love Earth without loving ourselves.
Jan 31, 2023 9:43 AM

May 2018
BestListMAL said:
alshu said:

if a show is so good that it is addicting, then its AMAZING

Not how addiction works tho.
You can get addicted to the most stupid thing ever. Quality has nothing to do, it's a mechanism which tricks your brain to think that you are having a nice experience. For example soap operas work like that.
Jan 31, 2023 9:53 AM

Dec 2021
BestListMAL said:
so don't watch bro, if you have watched, then just admit you're at least some what of a shounen fan
Actually bro, for me enjoyment as rating factor weighs more only in delineating my favourites, while I'm very much biased against popular shows and just give them low scores even if I enjoy them

For example, I love hearing openings, endings and insert songs of the series I absolutely despise. I even re-watch the fight scenes of those shows on Youtube for entertainment despite of hating the show entirely
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
Jan 31, 2023 9:53 AM

Jul 2013
BestListMAL has been a pretty successful troll all things considered.
Jan 31, 2023 10:26 AM
Mar 2018
I don't like long-running shounen, partially because a lot of them are battle shounen, which just isn't my cup of tea. But, I dislike them mostly because a lot of them are purely arc-based, with little to no overarching plot, and even when there is an overarching plot, the time they spend with it is often dwarfed by filler arcs. Additionally, when arc-based series go on too long, the arcs tend to become formulaic in nature, making them easy to predict.
KoreofpacksJan 31, 2023 10:33 AM
Jan 31, 2023 10:34 AM
Nov 2019
BestListMAL said:
Yveltal1612 said:

EDIT:
if the second half was so bad, no one would have watched it, and I've seen SAO twice and loved it both times
No, something can be bad and people still watch it, just look at The Promised Neverland Season 1 and 2. Most people liked S1 but a lot of people hated S2, despite the hate for S2 over 400.000 finished it, over 100.000 are still actively watching it (according to MAL's statistics) and only 120.000 people dropped it. 

Not to mention the main flaw of Death Note isn't the story or writing in general, it's the pacing. If they had more time/episodes they could have slowed down and it would have been fine. 

As far as SAO goes, you are absolutely allowed to love it, I am not going to tell you otherwise. And yes it did have a handful of nice/good moments. However if you take your love, a feeling, something inherently subjective as metric to determine the score of a show, you can't go around saying your list is based on objective facts. 

Especially when the show can be proven to be objectively badly written (and not worth a 10/10), by simply thinking about it for 5-10 minutes.

EDIT:
Anyway that was enough Off-Topic babbling from my end, this thread isn't about whether your list is objective or not after all, and I don't want to anger the mods too much, so if you want to continue the discussion, I suggest we do so over either PM or profile-comments. 
Yveltal1612Jan 31, 2023 10:42 AM
Jan 31, 2023 10:56 AM

Apr 2021
HxH and Gintama are long running shonen and they’re received really well here looking at the ranking.

Perhaps many people here just don’t think they’re good enough.

While I don’t 100% agree with the ranking, but to me, Naruto and One Piece are just mediocre to bad series
Jan 31, 2023 11:20 AM

Jul 2013
Yveltal1612 said:
you can't go around saying your list is based on objective facts
you're arguing with a dude obviously trolling, and also all ratings are the opinion of an individual(s), making all ratings subjective by default. There really is no such thing as an objective rating when reviewing media/art. And that's a good thing, because a by-the-numbers objective list would be super boring.
Jan 31, 2023 11:29 AM

Mar 2021
Do people even hate watch anything loger than 24 episodes these days? Cuz people say of how they drop shows all the time like it is an airport but that doesn't mean shit if the show is successful enough to become a franchise. Especially considering how competitive the ln/manga industry is.

Boruto haters was because of it being after shippuden. But like on social media, no show that is like 4 cours and going on seems to be getting negative comments on social media. Any negative comments are clearly made
Jan 31, 2023 3:01 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
There is something to be said for the amount of time someone invests in something. That said, for the very reason it is such an investment, I'm less inclined to view longer works in the first place. (I'm sure there are ones I would greatly enjoy though, but I'm more likely to finish something short)
Jan 31, 2023 4:49 PM

Feb 2021
BestListMAL said:
Yuu_Kanzaki said:
"yeah guys, so I drank 600 bottles of pepsi, but don't worry I skipped drinking 100 bottles of pepsi therefore pepsi sucks. Do you even hear yourself?!?!?!?
You're the one who's not hearing themselves. I check in on Naruto from time to time and watch it when it's not shitty. And to tell you the truth, there's not many instances like that. But you do you, watching low quality long running series seems to be your thing. I prefer watching good shows from studios that actually care.

And before this is a bait, seeing as you made almost a 1:1 thread the other day about similar topic, trying to make people care. And I hope it is. 
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Jan 31, 2023 6:49 PM

Oct 2014
Really long shounen are long because they're profitable. They get a lot of attention and are well loved. Anything really popular is going to get hate for "not deserving to be as popular as it is" because in a way nothing really deserves to be as popular as something like One Piece or Naruto and some people are salty that their favourite show isn't the one in the spotlight instead. Also, episode count definitely doesn't correlate directly to quality. There's a lot of really long shows like Sazae-san, Lan Mao, Chibi Maruko-chan, and Shima Shima Tora no Shimajirou that I'm sure you'd never touch. If episode count truly equates to quality then these shows should be masterpieces, but you know for a fact that they aren't.
Feb 1, 2023 3:00 AM

Dec 2016
Long-running battle shounen anime was my favorite type of anime in my early stages of being an anime fan and, now, more than six years after creating this account, 400 completed series under the belt and more than 300 days dedicated to this hobby, nothing changed and still remains as my favorite type of anime. These are definitely the anime series with the highest potential to provide the most memorable and rewarding experiences and leave the biggest long-lasting impact on a viewer, and it's not even a contest. 

You can't compare a short one or two cour anime that you can watch in one or two days with a much longer one that will require you more time investment than that. With the former, on 99% of the occasions, all you'll get is just casual fun, which is valuable of course, but far from as valuable as the great emotional reward you can only get by committing to a latter.
Feb 1, 2023 8:46 AM

Oct 2020
I agree...if a show has hundreds of episodes, than it has to be doing something right ?
Sure, some parts are bad, and sometimes there's to much filler, but still
Feb 1, 2023 10:25 AM
Jul 2018
zombie_pegasus said:
Really long shounen are long because they're profitable. They get a lot of attention and are well loved. Anything really popular is going to get hate for "not deserving to be as popular as it is" because in a way nothing really deserves to be as popular as something like One Piece or Naruto and some people are salty that their favourite show isn't the one in the spotlight instead. Also, episode count definitely doesn't correlate directly to quality. There's a lot of really long shows like Sazae-san, Lan Mao, Chibi Maruko-chan, and Shima Shima Tora no Shimajirou that I'm sure you'd never touch. If episode count truly equates to quality then these shows should be masterpieces, but you know for a fact that they aren't.
Most of those shows are good too, actually. They're just not built to appeal to a western audience and/or an adult audience.

And its not the same either, those are episodic stories. Nobody is sitting down to watch all of them in a row (in fact for some shows that is impossible to do).

Long running shounen is one continual story.

Anyway, nobody is saying long running shounen are masterpieces, but they undeniably have universal appeal intrinsic in their story telling.
Feb 1, 2023 12:55 PM

Dec 2021
Long running shounen is a problem.

I don't want to wait 5 more years to see Detective Conan end.
Rosa Umineko Drip

The Witch of Badassery.
Feb 1, 2023 3:32 PM

Apr 2022
You're not funny.
You're just annoying.
If everyone agrees that more episode   ≠ better anime, why do you keep insisting.
You're that kid in school that wants everyone's attention.
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Feb 1, 2023 4:19 PM

Oct 2014
Mood_Booster said:
zombie_pegasus said:
Most of those shows are good too, actually. They're just not built to appeal to a western audience and/or an adult audience.

And its not the same either, those are episodic stories. Nobody is sitting down to watch all of them in a row (in fact for some shows that is impossible to do).

Anyway, nobody is saying long running shounen are masterpieces, but they undeniably have universal appeal intrinsic in their story telling.
"Good" is subjective. I know they're popular, they appeal to a lot of people. The closest thing to a long running shounen I've seen is MHA and I dropped that after 3 seasons because it got boring.

I don't think it's anyone's duty to rate long running shounen higher than what they personally think they deserve, and I know there are plenty of people who actually rate them lower than what they think they deserve in an effort to "correct their score" because they believe they're rated far more than they deserve (eg. the MAL score is 8, person believes it's a 6 so they rate it a 1 to help bring it back to its natural score). This isn't exactly a good thing to do and I don't do it myself, but I understand why someone would think that's a good idea.
Feb 1, 2023 4:46 PM
Jul 2018
zombie_pegasus said:
Mood_Booster said:

"Good" is subjective. I know they're popular, they appeal to a lot of people. The closest thing to a long running shounen I've seen is MHA and I dropped that after 3 seasons because it got boring.

I don't think it's anyone's duty to rate long running shounen higher than what they personally think they deserve, and I know there are plenty of people who actually rate them lower than what they think they deserve in an effort to "correct their score" because they believe they're rated far more than they deserve (eg. the MAL score is 8, person believes it's a 6 so they rate it a 1 to help bring it back to its natural score). This isn't exactly a good thing to do and I don't do it myself, but I understand why someone would think that's a good idea.
I think OP's main gripe is with people who watch 100+ episodes of a show but then rate it lower to appeal cool or maybe keep their mean score low. I don't really disagree with what you say too much (good being subjective is a debate we can save for another time).

Another thing is that there are probably people who watched hundreds of episodes of Naruto when they were younger and now they feel differently and may rate it lower to show how different there taste has changed. Something OP should've considered as well.
Feb 2, 2023 12:13 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Congratulations on the successful bait thread, although I'll have to give you point deductions for having to post so much to keep it alive.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

21 by xqXpx »»
2 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

226 by Jackson1333 »»
5 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

68 by ToG25thBaam »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 10 hours ago

37 by xqXpx »»
6 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

29 by deg »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.