Forum Settings
Forums

do you have more optimism or pessimism as you grow older?

New
Dec 7, 2022 4:23 AM

Jan 2009
im more pessimist but despite my bad life i still have some hope

how about you? are you one of those grumpy old men?
Dec 7, 2022 4:31 AM

Mar 2011
Pessimism, I think its natural to lean towards this in parts of life, at young adulthood to middle age maybe? Older people seem more optimistic perhaps cause they have seen how rising issues recede into small ones and alot of the pressures on the young aren't on them as much, like having children.

"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Dec 7, 2022 4:35 AM

Jul 2009
"In the American and Dutch samples, we found that optimism increased across younger adulthood, plateaued in midlife, and then decreased in older adulthood."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7405987/

I honestly thought and felt people would become pessimists linearly from adulthood because I've met some really really grumpy adults who can't change or increase their life satisfaction, even if it's put in front of them.

I'm a cynic but I see a lot of good in individual things.
🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸγ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸ¦γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ²γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³γ€€
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€Cursorγ€€Natureγ€€reserveγ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸ¦‹γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸ¦©γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸ•γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸγ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ²γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸ§γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³
Dec 7, 2022 4:36 AM

Jan 2009
Silverstorm said:
Pessimism, I think its natural to lean towards this in parts of life, at young adulthood to middle age maybe? Older people seem more optimistic perhaps cause they have seen how rising issues recede into small ones and alot of the pressures on the young aren't on them as much, like having children.

middle age is around 40-60 according to google but i still consider those old ages lol since im close to being 40 years old too

thinkpad said:
"In the American and Dutch samples, we found that optimism increased across younger adulthood, plateaued in midlife, and then decreased in older adulthood."

I honestly thought and felt people would become pessimists linearly from adulthood because I've met some really really grumpy adults who can't change or increase their life satisfaction, even if it's put in front of them.

i wonder if such a study exist in poorer nations
degDec 7, 2022 4:43 AM
Dec 7, 2022 6:05 AM

Nov 2017
Interestingly, I've found that I've become more optimistic and confident about my own life and my own path with age. My basic nature remains the same. I am generally an optimistic idealist, and willing to work hard to make things happen. However, I know that things will not always go the way I want, and generally have a contingency plan in mind.

With age, I know myself, my needs, and proclivities better. I have a group of high-quality people in my life whom I trust and love and I can continue to not only use my gifts and knowledge to make a difference, but continue to hone them to grow even more effective. Frankly, having lived this long and gone through a number of life's challenges I have more optimism than ever. Everything worked out for good in the past so I have ever more confidence it will in the future
Dec 7, 2022 6:23 AM
Aug 2021
uh, more optimism and i’m young ><
Dec 7, 2022 7:36 AM

Dec 2013
I was:
Very Happy
No worries
Play games every day
Many friends
Healthy physically and mentally

As I grow up now:
Physically disabled
Physical pain everyday
Depression
Suicidal
Full of sadness
Full of anger
Very low level of energy
Very low self esteem
Head always facing down cannot look people in faces except to my gf

Dec 7, 2022 7:51 AM

Jul 2007
I take a pessimistic approach to anything outside of my own control. My own life is great and I have no doubt I'll continue to enjoy myself whatever state the rest of the world wants to get itself into.
Dec 7, 2022 8:12 AM

Oct 2020
I'm 16 right now, whether that is considered old or not. But I'm slowly getting more pessimistic as time goes on lol.
I'm constantly stressed, burnt out, even now some past relationships haunt me though I'm taken (and actually not in a bad position), recently had to get a surgery & I can't use my left hand for a while.
But I suppose we all have our set of challenges in our lives, so I'm just going w. the flow of life and doing what I can. There are good and bad moments as time goes on sure but just a bit pessimistic lol.
Dec 7, 2022 9:20 AM

Mar 2012
I've turned into a complete pessimist ever since I started working, just thinking that I have to continue like this for the next 40 years or so makes me have a negative outlook.
Dec 7, 2022 10:37 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
I've spent my whole life as a pessimist and it got me nowhere but blinding me to opportunities to make things better. So I strive to be an optimist wherever possible. I'm not too old that I need to be set in my negative ways

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Dec 7, 2022 11:07 AM

Jul 2009
deg said:
Silverstorm said:

middle age is around 40-60 according to google but i still consider those old ages lol since im close to being 40 years old too

thinkpad said:

i wonder if such a study exist in poorer nations

I would speculate that poor people are happier if they can live in tribes and don't need computers.
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸγ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸ¦γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ²γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³γ€€
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€Cursorγ€€Natureγ€€reserveγ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸ¦‹γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸ¦©γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸ•γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³
πŸŒ³γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸγ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ²γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸ§γ€€γ€€γ€€γ€€πŸŒ³
Dec 7, 2022 11:59 AM

Feb 2021
I'm a bit pessimistic but I also see optimistically too. Just trying to make the most of what I've got rn.
Dec 7, 2022 12:01 PM
Jul 2018
I have more existential dread as I grow older.
Guess you could call that pessimism.
Dec 7, 2022 12:15 PM

Sep 2017
Starchaser said:
Interestingly, I've found that I've become more optimistic and confident about my own life and my own path with age. My basic nature remains the same.

[...]

With age, I know myself, my needs, and proclivities better. I have a group of high-quality people in my life whom I trust and love and I can continue to not only use my gifts and knowledge to make a difference, but continue to hone them to grow even more effective. Frankly, having lived this long and gone through a number of life's challenges I have more optimism than ever. Everything worked out for good in the past so I have ever more confidence it will in the future

Same here, minus the hard working part ;)
Dec 7, 2022 3:55 PM

Jan 2022
Road trips 🚐 πŸ›£οΈ ... Anime ... and serious Sports Fucking (when I can get it) keeps me sane and young. Outside of this one lives long enough to see all the shit that makes them cynical. It's a balance. At least for me.
Dec 8, 2022 10:09 AM

Nov 2017
Moonspeak said:
Starchaser said:
Interestingly, I've found that I've become more optimistic and confident about my own life and my own path with age. My basic nature remains the same.

[...]

Same here, minus the hard working part ;)
Heeeeeee~h. Well kudos to you then! >:-)
Dec 8, 2022 10:13 AM

Sep 2020
definitely more pessimistic. I'm so jaded half the time. Idk what I'm doing with life right now. I can't even muster the energy to watch two episodes of anime or read more than one volume of manga per sitting.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Dec 8, 2022 10:22 AM

Dec 2015
The older I get the more I realise that neither I nor the people around me have any idea what they are doing.
So I gotta go for the "I do not know" answer.
Dec 8, 2022 10:34 AM

Mar 2015
Optimism, just to spite all the negative nancys on this forum.
Dec 8, 2022 11:11 AM

Jun 2022
i think i am pessimistic if you ask me about how i think things will turn out but i have an optimistic interpretation of my pessimism. if that makes sense.
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
i love lain
Dec 11, 2022 3:48 AM

Jan 2020
I voted for pessimism because with covid and the war going on, that's just how it is. Don't get me started on my sickness, thankfully lately it has been going better.
Jan 2, 2023 3:12 AM
Dec 2017
pessmisism oh wait i've always been a pretty pessimistic person.

Jan 2, 2023 5:00 AM

Jul 2015
I never had anything but pessimism in me. What I have nowadays that is seriously lacked before, is the firm intention to shit all over people who make life a pain. It makes everything absolutely bearable and kinda fun at times UwU
Jan 2, 2023 5:19 AM
Dec 2022
Now I'm in my home office, my mind is clear enough to read post titles with accuracy.

I grew up with pessimism not because of family issues, but it just became like this.
Jan 2, 2023 11:59 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
pessimist... I'm the most negative person in the world..
I always assume the worst possible outcome so I'm not left disappointed

More topics from this board

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

64 by LoveYourEyes »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 2 hours ago

7 by LoveYourEyes »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Worst social media

IpreferEcchi - Mar 19

29 by DesuMaiden »»
31 minutes ago

» What's the most illegal thing you've ever done? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Mar 15

51 by DesuMaiden »»
44 minutes ago

Poll: » strawberry, chocolate or banana milk? ( 1 2 )

bobbysalmon - Apr 17

60 by vampirismsxc »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.