Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Mar 8, 2023 10:31 PM

Jun 2019
I think this is better than Weathering With You, imo. I like how they explored the magical stuff instead of just leaving it as legends like they did in Weathering With You. Also prefer the focus and screentime on the MCs.
Mar 9, 2023 3:12 AM
Jul 2017
it was an okay movie
Mar 9, 2023 11:53 AM

Jul 2021
It's a bit different compared with Shinkai's previous work (Tenki no Ko, Kimi no Na wa., Kotonoha no Niwa, etc.). It has same premise (disaster) but atm this is more realistic cause take the most happened natural disaster for Japan, earthquake. It has a bit darker settings. Heroine design inspired from heroine from Kimi no Na wa but with ponytail so it more fit with running from home tropes. MC is a bit old guy whereas he is a college student.  This anime relationship is inverse with Kotonoha no Niwa whereas Kotonoha no Niwa has mature heroine, but Suzume has mature MC. So, if u like mature relationship especially from MC pov u will like this more than teenager relationship from his previous work. Animation same as usual works is top notch. Pacing quite fast compared from previous work, need more character development, but it's still fine for me tho it still quite weaker impact from relationship side. If i wanna give rank between recently work, i'll give like this : 1. Kimi no Na wa, 2. Suzume no Tojimari, 3. Tenki no Ko
Mar 10, 2023 12:32 AM

Dec 2017
this was my first movie experience where me and everyone in the cinema clapped their hands, this shit tops kimi no na wa frfr
Mar 10, 2023 3:52 AM
Jul 2019
I almost cried it was freaking good I love it
Mar 10, 2023 5:05 AM
Sep 2021
very good story, grafik, and building characters
Mar 10, 2023 5:15 AM
Oct 2021
Once again Makoto proves how good he is
Mar 10, 2023 6:51 AM
Apr 2021
Kinda disappointed, for me at least, everyone has diff taste. Maybe I got too much expectation from Shinkai lol. But tbh

- Plot is kinda crappy
- Character and VA kinda off with how they look
- Romance lack and sudden
- Has ‘enemy’, instead of the usual no-enemy policy in his past movies
- Art is still da same, can’t see much improvement
- Generally feel like a rushed-to-complete movie, maybe cuz COVID idk
Mar 10, 2023 7:25 AM

Mar 2019
Animation and ost was as expected from makoto shinkai movie. Was not expecting much from the plot however but I still got disappointed. While the general storyline is easy to follow there is way too many unexplained plot points/plot holes. A few examples being the bigger cat appearing out of nowhere with no explanation and none of the characters questioned it at all, which was extremely weird especially considering it appeared to have possessed MC's aunt during the argument. The buildup towards the guy's sacrifice also seemed extremely pointless with the cat seemingly decide to become the seal again on a whim. Some would probably argue it was because the cat liked the MC and didn't want her to sacrifice herself but why the cat even liked MC to begin with was also unexplained. It would've made sense if they put in a scene with the MC saving the cat when she accidentally wandered into the door as a child but there was no such revelation. The 'romance' MC developed for the guy also didn't make sense also considering their interaction barely spanned a week and 90% of those interactions were with his chair form. Another problem I had with the show was the fact there was also no character development, whether with MC or any of the other side characters. Despite the horrible story I wouldn't say it was a torture to go through considering the comedy during the 'slice of life' part was pretty entertaining at least.
Mar 10, 2023 7:31 AM
Mar 2018
I fucking hate this series. Throughout the movie, my head was bombarded with questions that remain unanswered. Due to the lack of explanation in the story itself, I did try to help it by looking for the slightest subtlety hopefully dropped by the story so I could get rid of the possible plot holes I'd coincidentally come across. False hopes. There was no hidden subtlety whatsoever. Of course, they wouldn't do me a favor! And every once in a while, they contradict their previous explanation I began doubting everything the story told me. Were they all unreliable characters? Which one should I believe? Fuck, if only the gods could give at least a hint of the worldbuilding instead of playing chase! (I'll provide some examples to show you what I mean by plot holes in worldbuilding, far later on)

I was fucking stuck for 2 hours with my own thoughts I could pass an exam for a plothole hunter if it was a thing. And to make matters worse, the pacing sucked big time.

The dialogues were unnatural as hell, as you'd expect from Japanese fiction media. It was like they'd never talked with real people. Oh right, I forgot they spent 24/7 in animation studios devoid of any interaction with real people. The story followed an obvious, repetitive formula and format with only a little change.

(Note: the paragraph that follows might contain slight spoilers, although I'm pretty sure you'll just get confused if you haven't watched it. I know, the story sounds like a fever dream when described)

And let's be real, anyone who has watched the movie knows what the supposed monster in this 2-hour movie looks like. Let me give you a hint: it surely doesn't look like a worm.

The animation looked fantastic. The water looked hyperreal and so was the sky. It had better graphics than reality itself, but of course, that would only be the case if they didn't show the same sky 10 times. Okay, I get it, it's beautiful, can we get over it? I know you're so tight on budget you need to start recycling materials but we need to move on, dude. I couldn't even bear the first few minutes of literally nothing but something that sounded like moaning. But of course, the movie has some memorable scenes, like when our main character switches to her old uniform (what a powerful metaphor indeed, it genuinely moves my heart!) and when I had to get to the bathroom. Best 5 minutes of the movie.

Oh also, the supporting cast is so bland it hurts. I know they're just supporting characters, but can't you add more flavor and make them not act like they have a collective consciousness?

Anyways, heavy spoilers ahead, I'm going to show you some examples of what went through my mind.

Conclusion? Eh, it's okay, if you know how to turn off your brain. Just remember to take your meds and shut that yapping in your brain that points you to every possible plot hole in the story. Or just close your ears. It's not an abomination if you don't pay attention to everything that's happening and just feast your eyes on its graphics and constantly gaslight yourself that it's the best thing you've ever seen.
Mar 10, 2023 7:44 AM
Mar 2023
it's really really really nice . It's been a long time since I watched such a good anime, I got goosebumps while watching it
Mar 10, 2023 7:52 AM

Jan 2021
I just watched it in theaters, and all I can say is, this movie is above Weathering With you, but below Your Name. The only thing missing from this is that Radwimps only covers two songs, unlike the previous two. Not that it's bad, but I wish there was more.
Mar 10, 2023 8:46 AM
Feb 2022
Good storyline and graphics did not disappoint me
Mar 10, 2023 8:55 AM
Apr 2021
Speaking objectively in terms of the plot structure, this is what Tenki no Ko needed in place.

The OST is a 1/10 at best regrettably, even recent SAO Progressive movies does better than this. OST in this lacked any kind of delivery or impact that Shinkai's previous works had.

Edit: Also were there any significant cameos to previous works? Besides the red ribbon.
tensai95Mar 10, 2023 9:19 AM
Mar 10, 2023 10:15 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Shinkai Makoto-kantoku doesn't disappoint, does he? Even though this will probably go down as his weakest movie in recent times (specifically comparing it to Kimi no Na wa & Tenki no Ko) and for my list too, I think it was still a very entertaining film and I'd be down to check it out again once it comes out on streaming platforms. 

For fans of his two previous works, there were a fair amount of aspects to relive and appreciate, but, in general, the movie had more than enough to stand out on its own. And there's the trademark way to sign off the movie by having the two characters meet in an iconic spot after a short period away from each other, almost like a parallel to most of his works, lol. Side cast being all about good people was another common feature of the movies, but it was really nice to hear the characters speak from the Miyazaki dialect to Ehime's and then to the standard in Tokyo and Miyagi. 

My fav character from the series was honestly neither of the main characters but Serizawa-san, xD. I don't know how someone who owes the other person could do so much for that very person just to repay him. That's an angel, what the heck? If he did it to win the heart of Suzume's aunt, I would've totally understood but he was willing to go that far even before she showed up, so it certainly can't be that. Wild! On a serious note though, some of the comedic moments surrounding him and the "troubled family" were gold, maybe some of the funniest comedy scenes I've seen from Shinkai Makoto-kantoku. 

In terms of the romance, it didn't hit as hard as the previous two. Seeing Suzume jealous after finding out about his coworker's interest in him was hilarious though. But really, I don't know how Souta-san started to have some affection for her too. If it was because of all the times they've spent together, I guess that's kind of understandable but his memories indicated a strong desire to be with her, and that sort of came out of nowhere. Well, I suppose the movie as a whole felt very fast-paced so it's not the only thing. 

I was expecting more vocal tracks to be incorporated during some of the scenes with high tension or transitions going by the other two works but there was lesser of that here, and, not going to lie, I was a little bummed by it. I know that's a really spoiled mentality considering it's only because of his track record but I really wanted to hear some more banger songs to elevate the experience. However, that's not to say that the animation didn't deliver though! God, the fight scene between Sadaijin and the Worm manifestation was incredible, and the background in general was stunning. I was just, you know, assuming you all already know about it, xD. 

About the plot though, it really felt like an extra few minutes to explore the background of the keystones could've made this movie an easy 9 or 10. Suzume realising that Daijin was actually trying to help them seal the doors all this time was a nice touch but there was not enough to follow up on that from. If Suzume could see Souta-san's past by holding him, maybe the same could've been done with Daijin in one of the final moments in the Ever After. Didn't expect that loop of her giving that chair to her past self though, I think that was pretty nice. Might be some kind of plot hole in the working but, for now, I'll just say it was a good ploy, lol. 

All in all, I'll settle with a solid 8/10 for this movie. I really had no intentions of writing so much here but there's just so much to talk about, and that's how you know, it was a good movie after all. 

Kimi no Na wa > Tenki no Ko > Suzume. 
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 10, 2023 2:53 PM

Apr 2013
This is probably one of the weakest Shinkai movies.The main issue of this movie is the motivation of each character doesn't feel right and the interaction between characters sometimes feels forced. Probably not because the character is bad, but more because of the high pacing. It doesn't give enough time for the audience to digest all the things the movie has to offer. 

Still a good movie with fantastic visuals. But, I like Tenki no Ko better
Mar 10, 2023 11:57 PM

Jan 2021
I finally watched Suzume no Tojimari.
I've been a fan of Makoto Shinkai's works since someone told me to watch Byousoku 5 Centimeter.
As always, Makoto Shinkai makes another stunning anime masterpiece, and the story felt way more fulfilling than his previous works.
The animation keeps getting better with every movie, even though the animation in previous movies was already a masterpiece.
The action, characters, plot, everything!

Mar 11, 2023 1:30 AM
Oct 2020
It's 10/10 for good storyline and the plot twist it's freaking good❤️

Well Done!!Makoto Shinkai
But it's kind of disappointing because there's only 2 bgm of Radwimps,But i watch for storyline not for the music.
Mar 11, 2023 1:31 AM
Nov 2022
kebayang kontol lagi menampar bumi, sekian terimakasih wr.wb
Mar 11, 2023 2:12 AM

Aug 2020
Watched it today, really good...
March 11th - Really feel the connection :) Amazing
Mar 11, 2023 2:56 AM
Oct 2022
It's extraordinary, this Suzume no Tojimari film, I just watched it in a cinema in Indonesia, many lessons have been learned from this film, hopefully later after being shown in theaters, it can be released soon on various streaming platforms such as Disney, Amazon, Neftflix and etc
Mar 11, 2023 5:46 AM
Apr 2022
Good animation, the plot is kinda disappointing. And the romance between the two is rushed.
Mar 11, 2023 6:07 AM

Feb 2020
I just watched it a few minutes ago on theater, it was good! The animation was beautiful, as expected of a makoto shinkai film. The story was also pretty good, though a bit confusing. The romance also was weak and rushed, but oh well. Overall, nothing more to say. It was enjoyable! Solid 8
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 11, 2023 8:26 AM

Nov 2018
Late to reply about the movie.

For me Suzume no Tojimari (Suzume) was Great, but not as Fantastic as Kimi no Nawa (Your Name).

My main problem with the Suzume was Side Character that we see  adventure along the way from one place to another was for the moment  (Suzume friend from Suzume Hometown, Chika from Rural Area, Rumi from Little City, and Tomoya from Tokyo). All four characters from 4 differet places, The one who contribute to bigger story impact until the end is just Tomoya. 
Don't get me wrong, I love the characters that have realistic tone to the story of each their own places but the characters was not get really flesh out, Other than Tomoya I just see a Episode about character of the week that originally separated on each own episode (if you see from episode anime prespective) that not connect to each other that forcefully become one movie of little segment to make movie playtime longer. But at least their showed them in the credit scene that was nice.

But if you wanna compare that to Kimi no Nawa (Your Name) Mitsuha Friends that have bigger supporting impact from beggining to end, That explain Mitsuha character activity before certain important event happen was awesome.

Beside that one of Suzume motivation to close the door across japan other than helping Saitou was  what happens to Suzume Mother. The movie given little hints of want happens to Suzume Mother through little flashback over here and over there through playtime of the movie, But what happens in the end. 

But just because harsh critic that I just write, that doesn't mean I hate the movie. 
In fact I given big thumps up to Makoto Shinkai and CoMix Wave for trying new things from focusing Romance to Action in this movie, That kinda bring new sense of breath Makoto Shinkai Film that have a gorgeus yet detailed animation on the whole film. 

Also While Some Side character is failing but also have character that works too like Tomoya. I believe if Makoto Shinkai can focus on fleshing character in the next film (If him make another I presume). It will be same or even more fantastic than Kimi no Nawa.

But, For Suzume no Tojimari I give it 9/10, Essentially is A great movie that give a chance to Makoto Shinkai Action Movie with Makoto Shinkai Charcteristic.

I not regret watching this movie, but I hope that can be improvement on few aspect.
Yunohi-kunMar 11, 2023 8:44 AM
Mar 11, 2023 9:33 AM
Apr 2021
Masterpiece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 11, 2023 4:47 PM
Feb 2020
I love this, the music, the visual, the charachter ,The story of this anime is quite light but also presents interesting conflicts. The visuals are also quite interesting and the music matches the atmosphere of the anime. Suitable for those of you who like romance anime and slice of life.
Mar 11, 2023 11:43 PM

May 2020
It's all right, I guess. Probably the weakest Shinkai movie I've seen in my opinion. Still, I can't help but feel he's been steadily going downhill. Hope he turns it back around with his next one. 5 cm/s and GoW are still my favourites from him. I wonder, will he ever return to making more realistic-themed films than supernatural ones?
GilgameshuuMar 11, 2023 11:50 PM
Mar 12, 2023 5:19 AM
Jun 2016
Watch this in the theatres. Sasuga, Shinkai Makoto-san! You did it once again!

I know people were memeing about a Shinkai movie with a romance with a chair plot. I didn't know it was this film before I saw a cardboard cutout promotional outside the theatre place. Kind of weird, but I just don't go out of my way to look at discussions or trailers of a movie most of the time, but I won't object seeing those.

It's hard to avoid judgements about how a romance with a chair is ridiculous, but I like this film so this shows that we shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

Despite Shinkai being in my favourite people on this site, I've only watched a few of his films. I've mostly watched them in cinemas, but I know, I should probably go back and watch more. The many criticisms of him that I hear is that the plot of his films are the same. Yeah, I can see that. Although I think that people are just tired of his films. That, and it seems like they always end up getting compared to "Your Name." I haven't watched a lot so they're not that stale to me.

All of his films that I've watched are good on a technical level. But I'd say Weathering With You is the weakest as the motivations of the MC is weird (hopefully this isn't violating any rules). This film feels like it's in between Your Name and Weathering With You on that aspect. It's been forever since I've watched Your Name, but I'd say it's neck-on-neck with this film.

Good film with an effective story line. Like with all Shinkai films I've watched, the characters aren't the strongest points, but this is more due to the fact that the film format of 2 hours limits their developments. But we watch these films due to their stories anyway. I also don't like drama, but this has a nice, balanced amount. People used to love to compare Your Name with other more sadder films like A Silent Voice when in my opinion, it being a sad film isn't the point.

The town is named Miyazaki. Now I know it's a real place, but many compare Shinkai being a modern Hayao Miyazaki.

I usually associate talking animal "sidekicks" with magical girls, so there's that. Daijin mostly assumes a villain role in a grey-area sort of way? Yeah, we can't really fully trust white cat-like creatures. Just look at Kyuubey. Homura won't be taking trash from a white cat if she were in this film.
Mat2468xkMar 12, 2023 10:20 AM
Mar 12, 2023 6:16 AM

Nov 2018
watched once in 2D and again in 4DX. if you have the chance, please watch it in 4D, the effects are amazing. 

overall a 9.5/10. teared up on 4 seperate occasion even on my second watch. the mythology and emotion aspects, and how they are tied to events in the movie are just so amazing. 

better than tenki no ko, just slightly behind your name. its just that I prefer more insert songs. 
Mar 12, 2023 7:07 AM
Oct 2021
Good Movies, From Character, Cgi, Story, And many moreeee
Mar 12, 2023 8:13 AM
Mar 2023
Very nice story and good action scene also it's very funny
Mar 12, 2023 10:30 AM
Jul 2013
Felt like a ghibli movie, it's great though
Mar 13, 2023 4:10 AM

Oct 2015
Nothing wrong with having a somewhat basic premise and I enjoyed the adventure but the premise being less gripping compare to Kimi no Na wa and characters that don't have as strong a chemistry present in Tenki no Ko, it just becomes a forgettable movie. Wished the doors were explored more rather than the premise they had going on. Watching in an empty theater in the middle of a weekday heightens the experience too I guess
Mar 13, 2023 6:13 AM
Feb 2020
Superiorer said:
This is best Shinkai Makoto movies for me. Just a top-notch stunning visual with splendiferous adventure fast pacing. No slow romance develop bullshit.
bro I think what the movie lacked was romance development
Mar 13, 2023 8:20 AM

Jul 2019
Still not on Your Name level unfortunately
Mar 13, 2023 9:48 AM
Nov 2019
enjoyable, but this is my least favorite Shinkai's movie
Mar 13, 2023 6:44 PM
Jan 2021
Great Story, plot, build up and overall an amazing movie to watch and experience
Mar 13, 2023 9:23 PM
May 2018
The plot is basic and disappointed. interaction and motive is force and not natural.

MC VA weak and feel off, maybe because they are novice. except suzume mother. Even Tomoya feel off.

Music theme or OST also forgettable not like Kimi no Nawa.

The only good thing is just animation and graphic other than that is boring movie. I feel waste of money watching it on theater then end up watch till the end. Movie that advertise popular director often not good as it used to be.
Mar 14, 2023 1:34 AM

Jun 2020
I personally enjoy it as an anime fan, and since I'm always interested with Makoto Shinkai-sensei works after watch Your Name for the first time. What a good ride! The fantasy and magical stuff are beautiful and so with the animation, bring along the OST too. I almost cried in some parts and screamed a little whenever I see Daijin because that cat is really cute (pardon my side as a cat lover). I like Suzume and Souta interaction, they look adorable together especially when Suzume being clingy to Souta :3 Yeah basically, if you put aside your objective view, it was a great one. But, let's talk about the quality in another side.

I'm still questioning literally what they want to say with the plot. They just picked random plot format from some anime they've done before, then mixing it somehow and boom, Suzume, so its predictable for some who already watch his works before this one. I don't say it's bad, just adding little minus point for those people, me included.

I may like the main casts and their voices, but somehow they don't really fit. At least they sound pretty I guess, and the new voice actors did some great job there so I appreciate it.

Yeah I still feel like this movie lacks of something but I don't know what and why. Maybe I'll figure it out once I'm able to rewatch it.

Well I think it's an enjoyable one, but still I'm sure they have more creativity and could've done it better. Just for people, especially if you have done a lot of anime, please don't set you expectation too high or you'll be confused from the start until the end like I did lol.

Anyway, everyone should know that Serizawa's car is the actual MVP and I'm here for his silly Japanese old songs playlist.
Mar 15, 2023 9:53 AM
Dec 2020
Does anyone know the full prayer/ritual Satou uses in the Movie(Suzume)
Mar 15, 2023 1:34 PM
Feb 2018
Another masterpiece from Makoto, really love it!!
Mar 17, 2023 11:21 PM

Jun 2013
I had the opportunity to watch Suzume with my mom. As it was her first time to watch an anime movie on cinema, she definitely was impressed by the visuals (she's more familiar with Ghibli rather than Shinkai's work). I kept on joking how we were the only adults who watched it and the rest were teenagers lol but who cares, we all enjoyed it anyway. I honestly thought that I had more fun with it than Kimi no Na Wa. I almost teared up by the end of the movie but held it in. I had lots of laughs as well despite some plot holes, I thoroughly think this movie was a great and an unforgettable experience. I love Daijin and I'll miss him. 
Mar 18, 2023 7:12 AM
Jun 2015
WopaGangnamStyle said:
I just watched it but am bit confused with the plot

Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind why Daijin (the white cat) turned Satou into a chair?

Then he said it was too late to turn him back into a human, but ended up helping Suzume at the end and managed to reverse it ?_?

rhanjel14Mar 18, 2023 7:33 AM
Quit Working Too Hard, Enjoy Reaching Your Goals
Mar 18, 2023 9:00 AM
Sep 2022
Watched it at the cinema. Doesn't really get the feel because I was watching it with friends. I recommend you guys go to the cinema by yourself and watch it alone. It is more immersive and enjoyable. I'm gonna watch it again in a few days.
Mar 19, 2023 3:55 AM
Jul 2020
Damn how is this an 8.62??? Do people even care about characters, plot and story nowadays? I guess atleast the visuals were stunning. Around 4/10, max 5/10, literally made me realize that I rated Your Name. really low, and had to bump it to a mid 5-6/10.

I have yet to watch tenki no ko, but so far only 5cm/sec was a great movie from Makoto Shinkai.
laaalaMar 19, 2023 3:59 AM
Mar 19, 2023 5:02 AM
Mar 2015
Always Nice Movie from MS
Mar 19, 2023 9:50 PM
Dec 2009
I liked the film and the sounds were superb as always. I feel like there's a lot to be desired as there were imo a lot of plot points left unexplored. Daijin felt more important than just being a random cat/keystone, I actually thought he would be related to Suzume. I thought he'd be a previous human turned keystone just like he wanted Souta to be by baiting him into becoming one.

While it does conclude things, I feel like too much time was wasted on the "action scenes" or door scenes when the only important ones were the first one and the Ferris wheel one. Idk, I liked it but there's just a lot of story points raised that felt like they deserved more time being explored. Was Suzum'e mother a closer? I thought it was kinda implied she would be one, but there was no mention of her outside of the flashbacks kid Suzume had. I liked Kimi no na Wa/Tenki no Ko more tbh. Still a fun film regardless.
Malloween Candies (2023):
6 main candies
Mar 20, 2023 8:08 PM
Dec 2020
it sucks, what a waste of time
Mar 21, 2023 1:55 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Lessons from the movie : Always close the door when you leave..
My door is auto locked so no problem for me

Mar 25, 2023 7:55 AM

May 2013
A good Kingdom Hearts spin-off, I liked it 9/10 

Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Next natural disaster?

mechian - Apr 15, 2023

6 by Rob7 »»
Apr 23, 9:55 PM

» Serizawa's car and his playlist

kintups - Mar 10, 2023

16 by Rob7 »»
Apr 23, 9:51 PM

» Makoto Shinka cannot write plausible human relationships

MyllerPhiem - Apr 8

40 by MichaelJackson »»
Apr 19, 8:17 PM

Poll: » the "romance" didn't make sense ( 1 2 )

MongoDB - Apr 15, 2023

68 by MichaelJackson »»
Apr 17, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Which is your favorite from this trilogy?

_Chibii_ - Apr 16, 2023

45 by Myetx »»
Mar 14, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.