Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 8, 2022 1:08 PM

Jul 2017
As a guy that despises K-On and most CGDCT shows and idol/music-moe mix anime, my expectations were really low for it to be honest. But to my surprise, I actually quite enjoyed this premiere and it's one of the better/good premieres I've seen this season so far. First real premiere I've enjoyed from a new anime this season from start to finish consistently.

The music choices here were really good and delivered some nice rock and not generic, annoying J-Pop/idol music which is a good start. Hitori feels like an actual, awkward character who's trying to break out of her shell through the power of joining a band and music, but never has the ability to take the first step into seeking what she wants. There's genuine room for her to grow as a character and for Kessoku Band to grow as a band as the girls come together and build on their chemistry and confidence (barring Ryo apparently, she's pretty good according to herself at least). Hitori's struggles were kind of relatable to me too, as an introvert (especially most of my school life) and being someone who also did play in a band during my school days and struggling to get adjusted to it and crowds initially. The animation for the music scenes looks good and polished too.

It's a very simple episode but one that I feel actually takes the right steps with its start and has something to build on for the rest of the series. Character development can exist, the emphasis on music being key was a positive sign so far, and it looks and sounds good. Can't complain too much about this episode barring the design of Ijichi being really bland to look at. Besides that, I surprisingly had fun with this and there's something with real substance to this besides people just fooling around and having that be dragged out for 30+ episodes. This is the K-On that I was hoping for when I first saw K-On in 2017 at least for a first episode.

Hopefully, I can anticipate some more goodness this show has to offer on the character and story front and hope it doesn't get stale with the anxiety humor by being too overdone. I'll still be cautious about it and wait to see if this is just a one-hit wonder of an episode or if this is the real thing. Don't see this kind of show surpassing my favorite music anime currently, BECK though.
Oct 8, 2022 1:09 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
The visuals, while presenting as something don't exactly stand out, are really incredible when you take a closer look at them. There's all sorts of different styles they use to convey various emotions and feelings for Hitori, for example. Or even things like how her social anxiety is presented, even when she's not physically presenting herself lower than other people, the perspective does so for her. There's only a handful of scenes that allow her to be viewed on the same level as the rest of the characters in the story. To that end as well, they do a lot with distance and empty space to really make Hitori's loneliness felt in the story. All of it adds up, alongside countless other things to provide an incredible visual accouterment to Hotori's story as it develops.

That said, Bocchi The Rock wouldn't be Bocchi The Rock without Bocchi. Her character has a great VA that really does wonders with the snapping back and forth in the emotions of Hitori, and really draws out the best of the character and her story. To that end I really love the expectation subversion surrounding Hitory and her interactions. It's so painfully accurate that I felt like banging my head against something like she did when I remember those moments. I really do enjoy her inability to just jump into things, despite having the ability to undoubtedly do so, you can really feel that invisible thread of anxiety keeping her from moving forward.

Overall, this is something you would not at all expect from a 4-Koma (4 panel) manga. It takes the source and molds it into something almost entirely different from what you might even consider possible for a simple series, and provides incredible polish and creativity to it as well. Like the girls walking and seeing their skirts animated. Is it rotoscoped? Is it traced CGI? It's so damn good that it's impossible to tell, especially with the animation for the music pieces. I'm no musician myself so I can't say whether what they're playing is accurate or not, but damn does it look good. Super excited for this show this season given the quality put it into this first episode.

Oct 8, 2022 1:13 PM

Aug 2019
every new show that is premiering this season is blowing my mind, but this one might end up being my favorite
Oct 8, 2022 1:16 PM

Oct 2019
Oh man, I adore this already. Very charming and full of personality. It's been a long time since I felt excited over watching something.
Oct 8, 2022 1:37 PM

Nov 2013
Every bit as good as in the manga, hope it continues that way :D
Oct 8, 2022 1:38 PM
Dec 2021
Bro this is probably gonna be my personal favorite this season
Oct 8, 2022 1:42 PM

Dec 2007
Already surpassing K-On by actually doing the the cute thing part.
Oct 8, 2022 1:42 PM

Aug 2020
Very good first episode
Oct 8, 2022 2:07 PM

Sep 2020
Really amazing first episode! Especially the ending is so cute~Her name is also the same meaning as "alone".
Oct 8, 2022 2:07 PM

Dec 2018
And for a moment I thought about skipping this anime when it showed up on CR, glad I didn't. Nice start!
Oct 8, 2022 2:12 PM

Feb 2017
Can anyone spoil this for me? Does her band ever learn that she's guitarhero? Gonna bother me if they never do
Oct 8, 2022 2:13 PM

Sep 2011
Loved it. Best Kirara anime I've seen in a while
Oct 8, 2022 2:32 PM

Oct 2008
Oh, wow. That was phenomenal.
Oct 8, 2022 2:43 PM
Dec 2020
I randomly decided to start watching this, and I can certainly say that this episode was extremely enjoyable. Can't wait for more of this and hope that is lives up to the expectations that I have formed from this episode. Definitely watching this. 😁👍
Oct 8, 2022 2:58 PM
Mar 2021
Social Anxiety K-ON, lmao. 1st episode managed to hook me up. This series got potential. Im thoroughly enjoying this first episode. Imma follow this weekly.
Oct 8, 2022 3:23 PM
Sep 2020
reminded me of k-on, one of my favorite animes. I hope this one joins in my favorite ones too
Oct 8, 2022 3:23 PM

Oct 2016
Interesting. I guess this what would happens if Yui doesn’t have Nadoka as her childhood friend.
Oct 8, 2022 3:38 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
First episode was really good, lets see if it keeps up, I love the watamote feel the MC has.
Oct 8, 2022 3:49 PM
Aug 2022
muy buen humor tbh
Oct 8, 2022 3:50 PM
Dec 2021
This is gonna be a blast
Oct 8, 2022 3:57 PM

Jan 2021
First episode was a fun watch.

Hitori wants to be in a band but has struggles making one until she decides to make covers online and she even gained 30k subscribers with it but she never performed on a stage so the anxiety really was kicking in her.

Hitori sitting alone in a park and doubtful until Nijika sees her and sees that she plays guitar and prays to her that she helps her band with an upcoming concert because the other guitarist probably fled or something lol.

Hitori always played solo so performing in a band was something else for her to discover, she thought the best way to perform at the concert was by being in a box which is kinda funny but understandable if you never performed on stage.

This will be an interesting watch for me since i dont watch Music animes so much.

Well looking forward to ep2.
Oct 8, 2022 4:46 PM
Jul 2017
pretty good episode !!!!
Oct 8, 2022 4:50 PM

Dec 2013
That ED is so cute! So last season I enjoyed a lot Shine Post and before that Healer Girl, musical anime have been on a streak lately for me.
KanameYuukiOct 20, 2022 2:15 PM
Oct 8, 2022 4:50 PM
Sep 2021
I think this will be as good as k-on tbh. Good comedy also!
Oct 8, 2022 5:23 PM

Mar 2016
One of the best premieres so far. The extravagant visuals (especially with showing the space and depth of the backgrounds as well as various POVs within them) really stand out here, and I especially enjoy how they depict Bocchi's various emotions and feelings in different ways. The anxiety humor is something that could get dull if used too repetitively, but so far it's a really good showcasing of an actually believable (and rather relatable) introvert wanting to break out of her shell and find success in music, but never was able to figure out where to take those first steps. There's room of her and the other characters to have substantial development even within just 12 episodes worth, even though I can't really say this is the better version of K-On or Carole & Tuesday yet. However, the adaptation is really quite transformative and already accomplished things the manga can never do.
Hopefully this'll turn out to be one of my personal favorites in the end along with Do It Yourself from this season of Fall 2022.
Oct 8, 2022 5:27 PM
Nov 2019
Just want to point out that Nijika's drumming animation was surprisingly accurate, as a drummer myself.
I'm so glad one of my favorite mangas is getting this good of an adaptation. Bocchi is still as relatable to me as ever
Oct 8, 2022 5:39 PM

Jun 2007
I was never big on K-On (and not nearly as high on Watamote as my friends), but I enjoyed the first ep of Bocchi quite a bit.
Oct 8, 2022 6:02 PM

Jan 2011
i loved every bit of this i say discount K-on in a loving way with a bocchi ass main character that is very funny
i needed this in my life

shes got super bad case of being a anime introvert but i can't say she isn't relatable the recharge time after being around people is me
Oct 8, 2022 6:11 PM

Jan 2021
Super cute, I already love it
under”Mebius” is my salvation

Oct 8, 2022 6:42 PM
Dec 2014
Sense of humor is greatly used, appreciable guitar references, nice animation and sync on the instruments.
Oct 8, 2022 6:50 PM
Jan 2021
Looking forward to more episodes
Oct 8, 2022 6:55 PM
Jul 2013
I really liked it!
Oct 8, 2022 7:08 PM

Feb 2021
Another CGDCT this season. Gotta love the characters lol.

Oct 8, 2022 7:19 PM

Jul 2022
I love the style and the characters! Favorite character so far is probably Ryou, gotta stick with my Bass Brethren.
Oct 8, 2022 7:28 PM

Sep 2019
Man, this was a fantastic first EP. Every week, I now have 2 Slice of Life shows to watch: Do It Yourself!! and Bocchi the Rock!.
Oct 8, 2022 7:29 PM

Feb 2021
I was eagerly waiting for this Anime adaptation to drop because I read the source material before. And I'm so happy with the first episode; the introduction.

Although some emotions were portrayed better in the 4-koma manga but the voice acting is really fun and the comedy is there :p

A lot has happened in the first episode. It felt a bit fast paced. But the goal of the show is for Bocchi to get in a band and be able to be social.
I really liked the art style overall especially the op and the ed.

I'm so excited to follow this Anime as it's airing. Sometimes chaotic, but fun to watch
Oct 8, 2022 7:42 PM
Nov 2021
Oh man this was great all the way through, can’t wait for more
Oct 8, 2022 7:47 PM

Sep 2011
Just a reminder that Bocchi is voiced by one of the Wake Up Girls:
Oct 8, 2022 7:58 PM
May 2017
well directed, all the jokes just connect well, pacing is great, animation is a joy to the eyes. great chemistry among the cast, beautiful backround art
Oct 8, 2022 8:10 PM
Oct 2020
Idk what attracted me to thi show it was either the animation or the characters but so far im enjoying it
Oct 8, 2022 8:12 PM
Oct 2020
Pre_Yum said:
It is here. I was looking forward to it so much. Bocchi is very cute. The art style and animation are bubbly and adorable as expected of Cloverworks. The OP was excellent as well. Bocchi is a very sweet girl but she's lonely and can't make friends, just like me. I feel so bad for her. The show had so many > < shots. Cute.

I love this show already. There are so many cute characters aside from Bocchi. Other girls were cute as well. I really enjoyed the first episode. I'm already looking forward to the next episode. The ED 'Distortion' by Kana Boon was cool with adorable visuals. Great job, Cloverworks. I loved it.

So many "cute" words. LUL
I think it was the art style that attracted me to this show in the first place cloverworks always nails the eyecandy part of any anime
Oct 8, 2022 8:15 PM

May 2022
Bocchi, guitarhero, must be the most dysfunctional person ever. I'm sure a lot of folks will immediately claim her as neurodivergent, or autism spectrum, her social anxiety is so severe. Of course, this is anime, and exaggerated emotions and irrational actions are part of the whole genre of high school comedy and CGDCT.

Bocchi the Rock is awesome. That's all you need to know.

I can't wait until the next episode!
Oct 8, 2022 8:19 PM
May 2021
My god, I just got it. They mashed K-On! and Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu together, it's the most precious and awkward AF thing ever!
Oct 8, 2022 8:32 PM
Jul 2017
Nice anime for this seasson
Oct 8, 2022 8:35 PM
Oct 2022
Swagernator said:
And so our heroine spend three years in her room, learning to play guitar .. what a dedication.

Anyway, its so good to again see the all time favorite combo of many, pink + blonde + blue + red haired cute girl protagonists, where would the world and the anime industry be without those four riders of moe. Now, seriously, music's nice, characters are colorful (literally and figuratively) and a nice message behind it all.

ALSO, THAT'S HER DAD !?!?!?!?!??!!?!!!?!?!

Finally we can see a male creature alive in such a Yuri anime lol.
Oct 8, 2022 8:47 PM

Feb 2022
I spent almost the entire chapter laughing, good first chapter
 I'm not a critic or anything like that but I like to give my opinion

Oct 8, 2022 9:11 PM
Sep 2021
Funny and Relatable for my Friends.... Neoyama needs a Life.
Oct 8, 2022 9:23 PM

Oct 2012
funny and hilarious first episode :D
Oct 8, 2022 9:46 PM
Feb 2016
Me gusto el capitulo

Oct 8, 2022 9:53 PM

Jul 2012
This is the most relatable main character I have ever seen.
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bocchi the Rock! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Dec 24, 2022

745 by ItzAloy »»
Yesterday, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Bocchi the Rock! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Nov 26, 2022

510 by dod_o »»
Apr 25, 12:41 PM

Poll: » Bocchi the Rock! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Nov 19, 2022

231 by ninocadeau »»
Apr 24, 12:09 AM

Poll: » Bocchi the Rock! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Dec 17, 2022

267 by PrimeX »»
Apr 23, 10:06 AM

Poll: » Bocchi the Rock! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Dec 10, 2022

234 by PrimeX »»
Apr 23, 9:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.