Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 4, 2010 7:47 AM

Jan 2009
Just as expected from madhouse and noitamina.

Now i get how this series works, as long as watashi doesn't fulfill Akashi's promise, he's goin' to keep on repeating all of this rite ?

Oh man, now i get the best 3 girls this season, Nino-san from Arakawa, Tenshi from Angel Beats! and of course Akashi from this anime. FYI 2 out of 3 is voiced by Sakamoto Mayaa's unusally alluring voice
May 4, 2010 9:04 AM
May 2010
Quarkboy said:
physics223 said:
seizonsha said:

If you really think about it, the term 'Tatami Galaxy' is an oxymoron.

While that is true, and I suppose that person must have read the novel, I think the title was an invention by a foreign fan.
The original title 四畳半神話大系 means something like The 4.5 Tatami Myth Compendium...but the interpretation of the sub-title is interesting.

If someone's interested, I actually wrote some of my thoughts on the original novel a while back.
My blog
(*sigh* I really need to write new reviews...books are piling up again)

It was actually done by the higher-ups in Funimation. They took some time in debating how to transliterate the title. Personally, I think it's an apt interpretation - it wasn't done merely by a fan, but by someone who also pored through the novel and finished it.

I said it was the production committee, not Funimation. Production committee = the group of companies in Japan that funded the show to begin with.

The name was decided on before Funimation even licensed it.
And the original author _did_ have to approve it.

My bad. See? The Tatami Galaxy is an awesome, awesome title.

@yamato21

I find Akashi to be the best among the three. Maaya Sakamoto is a great voice actress. Nino's just too quirky for my taste, and Akashi just has the right mix of uniqueness and charm that elevates her to the top of my list.
May 4, 2010 10:09 AM
Feb 2010
Pallid said:
Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. Literally.

As the cycle continues to repeat itself I imagine Watashi will gradually start to see the light and realize that the real problem behind his unhappiness has nothing to do with any one particular club he joins and everything to do with his self-destructive attitude. He's already become vaguely aware of the time "rewind." Now if only he'd keep his promise to Akashi he might just actually get somewhere.

Nice point. At least I can see some meaning behind this show now. But seriously, the show's usage of the "God" and some other characters was a bit weird. For example, Akashi-san joins the same club as him the second time.

I can see why ratings in Japan is so low. As a longer chain of eps this ep may have a higher value but when just compared with ep 1 it is mediocre. It almost feels like the scriptwriters were just lazy to produce a more innovative script.

The scene where the guy bade farewell to Akashi-san and the moth scene was truly strange, they seem to be deliberately placed there to show the deja-vu feeling, but it doesn't make much sense.
May 4, 2010 1:44 PM

Jun 2008
Dunkjoe said:
But seriously, the show's usage of the "God" and some other characters was a bit weird. For example, Akashi-san joins the same club as him the second time.

No, she doesn't.

Dunkjoe said:
It almost feels like the scriptwriters were just lazy to produce a more innovative script.

That's weird. I think it's a good adaptation. Maybe you don't like dark comedies in general or you aren't used to the narrative style of the staff involved.
CanopusMay 4, 2010 1:49 PM
May 4, 2010 2:59 PM

Dec 2008
windy said:
So is Ozu going to crossdress every episode? Plz no.

Signs point to yes.

Anxiously awaiting more...!
May 4, 2010 3:54 PM
May 2010
Dunkjoe said:
Pallid said:
Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. Literally.

As the cycle continues to repeat itself I imagine Watashi will gradually start to see the light and realize that the real problem behind his unhappiness has nothing to do with any one particular club he joins and everything to do with his self-destructive attitude. He's already become vaguely aware of the time "rewind." Now if only he'd keep his promise to Akashi he might just actually get somewhere.

Nice point. At least I can see some meaning behind this show now. But seriously, the show's usage of the "God" and some other characters was a bit weird. For example, Akashi-san joins the same club as him the second time.

I can see why ratings in Japan is so low. As a longer chain of eps this ep may have a higher value but when just compared with ep 1 it is mediocre. It almost feels like the scriptwriters were just lazy to produce a more innovative script.

The scene where the guy bade farewell to Akashi-san and the moth scene was truly strange, they seem to be deliberately placed there to show the deja-vu feeling, but it doesn't make much sense.

I believe she joins the Birdman club in the first and in the second episode she belonged with the movie club as staff. She's hired by the Movie Club because she's so good at handling equipment and very exact in her work.
May 4, 2010 4:51 PM

Dec 2009
physics223 said:
I believe she joins the Birdman club in the first and in the second episode she belonged with the movie club as staff. She's hired by the Movie Club because she's so good at handling equipment and very exact in her work.
...what is a Birdman club?
May 4, 2010 5:41 PM
Dec 2009
ilikeyouevenmore said:
physics223 said:

You can either google it or keep watching to find out.
May 4, 2010 6:24 PM

Dec 2009
Quarkboy said:
ilikeyouevenmore said:
physics223 said:

You can either google it or keep watching to find out.
ummm, thanks. I never would have thought to google it .....so it is either a fanclub for a rapper or a bunch of folks who get together to do lots of blow :/
May 4, 2010 7:49 PM
May 2010
The Birdmen club are a group people trying to test the limits of flight for humans. I don't mean in such a manner that they design aircraft; I pertain to creating machinations that would permit them to soar and fly in the sky, individually, much like what Icarus and Daedalus did.
May 4, 2010 8:52 PM

Dec 2009
physics223 said:
The Birdmen club are a group people trying to test the limits of flight for humans. I don't mean in such a manner that they design aircraft; I pertain to creating machinations that would permit them to soar and fly in the sky, individually, much like what Icarus and Daedalus did.
Thank you! Actually, that sounds a bit disturbing.... My psych teacher had the class watch a film called Birdy...
May 4, 2010 11:14 PM
Jul 2018
ilikeyouevenmore said:

ummm, thanks. I never would have thought to google it .....so it is either a fanclub for a rapper or a bunch of folks who get together to do lots of blow :/

lol the latter would would be hilarious

google probably wouldnt help too much in this situation anyway. its not like you google "cupid" youll get a tennis club, or that "misogi" will get you a movie club.
May 5, 2010 4:39 AM
May 5, 2010 12:10 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
This sure is unique. The first half was meh but the second rocked. I want the ED, too. Great show.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
May 5, 2010 4:44 PM

Feb 2009
Really enjoying this show thus far, the 3 main characters are awesome.

I lol'd at the wall of boobs.
May 5, 2010 8:15 PM

Aug 2009
Interesting show indeed, lol'd at the wall of boobs aswell lol :D

May 5, 2010 8:42 PM
Dec 2009
DrIdiot said:
ilikeyouevenmore said:

lol the latter would would be hilarious

google probably wouldnt help too much in this situation anyway. its not like you google "cupid" youll get a tennis club, or that "misogi" will get you a movie club.

There's a fairly well known international Birdman Competition...
http://www.birdman.org.uk/

I figured it'd be the first hit. I think it's televised on ESPN 3 or something.
May 6, 2010 8:09 AM
May 2010
cyruz said:
This sure is unique. The first half was meh but the second rocked. I want the ED, too. Great show.

Etsuko Yakushimaru has a great and unique voice. She's also the one who did Venus to Jesus of Arakawa Under the Bridge, but this is a better song, IMO.
May 7, 2010 4:35 AM

Nov 2009
Oh, wow, boob climbing...

I wonder how many clubs he'll join..

Oh, and the ed song, kamisama no yuutoori, has become the most played song on my ipod. (kinda crappy quality though)
Earth gets angry after a kick in the face.
May 7, 2010 11:58 PM

Nov 2007
I'm not sure how I felt about this episode. Sure, Watashi probably had a reason to feel angry towards that other guy, but he went pretty far, and exposed some really personal things. So ya, while it may have been funny, I still felt kind of uneasy. I would have liked to have seen a bit more ambivalence from Watashi over what he did.

+Akashi is definitely the best character. :D

On to the next episode! I wonder which club Watashi is going to join next. X3
May 8, 2010 5:24 PM

Jan 2010
wow, this anime isn't bad at all, i didn't like the first one, but this one is better, ew
and the wall of boobs.. lol
May 11, 2010 4:29 AM

Nov 2008
It's whack, but I sure do love it.
May 14, 2010 1:28 PM

May 2009
This anime is very promising and I'm enjoying it so far. So we're going to follow the protagonist in a new club every episode? Could become quite repetitive, but I hope it turns out well.
May 17, 2010 3:16 PM

May 2008
I think this episode was better than the first one. Or is it because the concept became more clear? Anyway it was somewhat hilarious~~
May 24, 2010 2:52 PM

Aug 2009
Bewwwwwwbs!!!

Awesome episode. I like the way they're doing the ground hog day thing. Can't wait to watch the next =D
May 31, 2010 7:48 PM

Mar 2010
i like this anime for some reason

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jun 13, 2010 11:25 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
The last clip reminded me of Mind Game.

edit: Makes sense as he was also the director of Mind Game :)
NaruleachJun 13, 2010 11:31 PM
p r o f i l e 👀
Jun 24, 2010 10:22 PM
May 2008
I'm enjoying the premise and art style... but those creator files are trippy as hell!!!
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jun 29, 2010 11:52 AM

Feb 2010
Interesting, so that's the kind of show this is gonna be. Some kinda timeloop, but he also seems to somehow realize it. Looking forward to the next episode.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 22, 2010 6:47 PM

May 2009
YAY I can finally read subs!
LOL at fortune teller raising her price
AWESOME SERIES =P
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Jul 25, 2010 1:02 AM

Apr 2009
This is really cool. I love how they cut to the ending song, and pretty much everything. ^^
Oct 8, 2010 2:01 PM

Aug 2009
Hmmmm, it was interesting to see how they incorporated footage from the last episode into new content for this one.
Nov 7, 2010 10:52 PM

May 2010
Uhhh huh....

Interesting set-up. I like it more if there are more of the female and male lead moments
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 13, 2010 8:31 PM

Jun 2009
And, with this episode the series has won me over. I like the mention of Deja Vu and it's fun to entertain the idea that there is another me out there who has the exact same personality and really is the same person but has a different overall life.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 4, 2011 3:10 PM

Mar 2010
its like a mix of sayonara zetsubou sensei and welcome to the nhk
detectiveyoshiJan 4, 2011 3:32 PM
Jan 5, 2011 7:08 AM

Apr 2010
The speed of the spoken, at least in the first episode, was really pissing me off and holding me back at first. But I can't deny it's great so far. And I like the ED.
Mar 4, 2011 9:51 PM

Aug 2010
Boring.
Mar 20, 2011 11:43 PM

Jun 2009
So far Tatami Galaxy has maintained a great balance between the acid trip-inspired quirkiness of Mind Game and being grounded in a little realism.

This show can be very taxing on the viewer's perception since the implied perception of the main character is conflicting as well.
Apr 5, 2011 10:30 AM

Mar 2011
those people dancing at the end were a little disturbing to see... O_o
Sep 24, 2011 2:57 PM

Jul 2011
Really enjoying the transitions to the ending theme. Seems like he could learn from his mistakes and ultimately change "fate".
Dec 17, 2011 11:26 AM

May 2009
Good stuff.
Jan 11, 2012 7:40 AM

Apr 2009
Ozu and the main guy making out, eww..

Akashi is meeting with the main character regardless of the situation, in a different place both times. Interesting, I wonder what this is all about. A repeating scene with her is also that she asks him to fulfill a promise, this time it seems to be about making a movie about true love instead of taking her to Cat Ramen like last time.

Akashi's fear of moths repeated. I didn't notice if it happened last time, but the moth was in the main character's room. So it probably represents a part of him that's hidden (nocturnal) like a moth but reaches to the light (Akashi), but she can't stand being in touch with it.. No idea what it means though.

So first time he wasted the two years trying to make couples' lives miserable, this time it's focused on one guy who is charismatic. Both times he was tempted by Ozu and he blames him for it. I'm starting to get the feeling Ozu is a personification of the main characters petty means to escape social anxiety by hating other people for being happier than he is, and as long as the main character isn't ready to throw away his protection he can't find happiness even when he's given the perfect opportunity (matchmaker god's deal). Or it doesn't even need to be the perfect opportunity, just any opportunity.

The fortuneteller further makes the main character escape the reality of his situation by telling him it's not his fault the 'circumstances don't suit his talents', but on the other hand tells him he needs to grab the chance to change. On the other hand she does it without pressure, using vague threats and expressions that don't bring any sense of urgency. Like some kind of reassuring false solution.

The main character's perception of reality is shown to be even more crooked than I thought. At first the film club's president was shown to be flaunting his superiority arorgantly by making his underlings carry him around on a throne, but in reality he was just wasted and being supported by two guys. He's projecting a lot..

Actually there are tons of things repeating the exact same way, "castella crumbled like my reason", "keep doing things your way", losing a Mugichiman, etc. I wonder if I'll understand those before the end.

And yet another time leap to finish the episode, appearently. I wonder how long this will go on.
May 23, 2012 11:19 AM

Dec 2011
So it's a time loop setting. I like the fact that he's actually remembering that he has seen this before (albeit faintly). I wonder if that sense of deja vu will increase in later episodes and cause him to change his behaviour (Osu sure likes having his cake and eating it :o)
“I’m tired of all the nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep. That’s deep enough. What do you want – an adorable pancreas?”

Sep 20, 2012 9:46 AM

Sep 2008
So the time-reset effect that could be seen at the end of the first episode wasn't just to boost the looks, eh?
I loved the episode. Plus, the 'deja vu' caption was well-placed ;]

I wonder how this will turn out. The last moments were just like in the first episode. Are we going to see another version of the events next time?
Oct 22, 2012 2:30 PM
Jan 2012
I am loving this anime.
Nov 6, 2012 11:06 AM

May 2012
Hmm.. interesting setting.. was laughing hard when the fortune teller raised her price..
Dec 6, 2012 6:31 PM

Feb 2010
That Ozu's face I can't get enough of.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2013 9:16 AM

Apr 2012
Very interesting....I like this a lot more than I thought I would.
Feb 10, 2013 1:01 AM

Apr 2008
The fall of the club president is one of the finest 5 minutes of animation I've seen so far. :3
Jul 6, 2013 7:00 AM

May 2012
Quite weird way, but well it's becoming a bit better to understand! Either way what is sure is that this is interesting, what they'll be presenting in the end stays a mystery for me though.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Jun 3, 2010

98 by haydnwright »»
Apr 21, 1:05 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

garfield15 - Jun 10, 2010

92 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Apr 12, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

controlmajortom - May 6, 2010

127 by blinddig »»
Apr 10, 2:32 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - May 27, 2010

151 by MalcomHater »»
Mar 23, 3:01 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

born2badored - May 13, 2010

91 by haydnwright »»
Feb 1, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.