Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Golden Kamuy' Gets Live-Action Movie

New
Apr 19, 2022 9:12 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013

Publishing company Shueisha announced a live-action movie for Satoru Noda's Golden Kamuy manga on Tuesday. The wraparound band on the 29th volume also featured the announcement on Tuesday.

Noda began drawing the historical adventure manga in Young Jump in August 2014. The 22nd and 23rd combined issue will publish the 314th and final chapter on April 28. Shueisha will release the 30th volume on June 17, with the 31st and final volume planned for a July 19 release. Golden Kamuy has a cumulative 19 million copies in circulation.

VIZ Media licensed the manga in English in October 2016 and released the 25th volume on February 15. The 26th volume is scheduled to ship on May 17.

Studio Geno adapted the manga into three anime seasons in Spring 2018, Fall 2018, and Fall 2020. A fourth season by Brain's Base is in production for a Fall 2022 premiere. Crunchyroll and Funimation streamed all three seasons with subtitles and an English dub, respectively.

Golden Kamuy ranked first in the 9th Manga Taisho rankings, received the Grand Prize in the 22nd Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize, and placed seventh in the male readers' division in the 2018 Kono Manga ga Sugoi! rankings.

Synopsis
Saichi Sugimoto is feared as the "Immortal Sugimoto" for his savagery on the battlefield during the Russo-Japanese war, but he is by no means a war hero. Sugimoto has been left to fend for himself after his release from the army for nearly killing a superior officer. Braving the rough terrain of Hokkaido, Sugimoto is now searching for gold in order to keep a promise to his lost brother-in-arms. His efforts have been fruitless for a long time until a mysterious traveler tells him of an urban legend that would rid him of all his troubles.

According to the legend, a criminal stole the gold of the Ainu, the indigenous people of Hokkaido, and hid it away in a location that can only be found when a map—made not from pieces of parchment, but the tattooed skins of escaped convicts—is brought together.

Upon meeting with a young Ainu girl, Asirpa, Sugimoto sets off in search of the tattooed prisoners, but many dangers await as soldiers and mercenaries seek the gold as well. Aided by Asirpa's knowledge of the lands, the two of them depart to find the stolen Ainu gold in a journey of revenge, murder, and greed. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Source: Comic Natalie

Apr 19, 2022 11:55 PM

Feb 2020
I am still not sure about the pattern between the live action adaptation which are announced on mal and the one which aren't.
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Apr 20, 2022 12:15 AM

Jul 2021
Honestly that'd be cool for this type of series
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Apr 20, 2022 2:07 AM

Nov 2007
Adampk said:
I am still not sure about the pattern between the live action adaptation which are announced on mal and the one which aren't.
Popular series, probably? and no stage.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 20, 2022 4:40 AM
Aug 2021
I hope they include fanservice
Apr 20, 2022 7:06 AM
Jun 2013
Spicy question, western 'correctness' and 'necessary quota' aside:

Will the Ainu characters be played by Ainu actors? Japan's been easing up on this topic, but I am curious to see if they would pull such a move. And if they do, what the reactions will be.
Apr 21, 2022 7:48 AM
Apr 2022
Hmmmmm. Would this work........ I guess it depends on what they plan to do with costume designs. They going to stick to the same character designs, weird hair styles etc etc.
Or are they going for realism.

Or will it be Golden Kamuy Ainu Cooking show.
Eating squirrels and learning to skin and gut animals?
Apr 21, 2022 8:20 AM
Apr 2020
f it stay funny, grursome and gore, Im totally in. And i hope it covers the flashback war story too

Apr 21, 2022 7:00 PM

Oct 2020
Great, Can't wait for the live action cooking to make me hungry. Especially the all the brains :S

Apr 26, 2022 1:02 PM
May 2015
The story is far too long to be compressed into one film, I'm guessing the first part of the story will make it.

I hope a solid cast can be arranged to do justice to these unique characters.
Sep 7, 2022 4:50 AM
Sep 2022
this is fiureee !! pomg

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Tougen Anki' Gets TV Anime in 2025

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

3 by Maumuu »»
2 hours ago

» 'Tensei shitara Dainana Ouji Datta node, Kimama ni Majutsu wo Kiwamemasu' Reveals Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

2 by ST63LTH »»
7 hours ago

» Undead Unluck Unveiled: Let's Talk Muscles with Yoshifumi Tozuka

Kineta - Mar 19

4 by Anime_Luv »»
8 hours ago

» Video Game 'Tensui no Sakuna-hime' Gets TV Anime in 2024

DatRandomDude - Mar 9

18 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:17 PM

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

29 by RealNath »»
Yesterday, 9:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.