Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Case Study of Vanitas
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 10, 2022 3:47 PM
Dec 2021
Is it just me that so annoyed on how poorly written the romance is in this show? I mean they are cute and all, yes. But if you really see through it, the romance is so forced and rushed. Start with Vanijeanne.

Vanijeanne really had the chemistry. And yes, they fall inlove with each other eventually but that doesn't change the fact that their relationship lacks depth and romantic factors. And the author's way in making up with this is by making them flirt with each other, making them kiss, and the erotic biting scenes, but despite all of that, they are still so... lame. I know sucking blood is normal for vampire but the blood sucking scene of vanitas and jeanne makes them like a fanservice couple for the show.

Next is Noè and Dominique. This pair has a lot of potential but I hate how the author keep making their relationship complicated. They care so much for each other and it's really adorable and sweet. But the one sided romance is killing the mood. It's annoying.

This show is not suppose to have romance right? Maybe that's why the pairings are so lame. Are they added for fanservice? Or it's necessary for the plot? Either way it's bad and it's killing the serious and dark vibe of the story.

Well atleast the fighting scenes are cool and the dynamic of the two main characters is entertaining atleast. I hope the romantic pairs become better before the manga ends.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 10, 2022 4:27 PM
Jul 2018
Well, the series is not a romance to begin with, it's not even a subgenre. Most of the characters are supposed to be messed up and their nature is cunning and unpredictable, how would they build something legit? Some people are unable to form bonds even in real life and make "normal" things complicated.

Take Vanitas and Jeanne for example. Vanitas is the epitome of crazy and eccentric, he even stated that he doesn't want to be loved (smth like that). Plus, he's somehow a masochist (liking his blood to be sucked) or whatever category this falls to. He loves the rush of the moment, there's just a physical attraction to Jeanne that he cannot explain. On the other hand, Jeanne seems very innocent and inexperienced in romance, not able to handle the situation, just following the flow.

The beats of romance here and there are serving two purposes in my opinion: the complexity of their overall relationships and secondarily fanservice.

To answer your question, no. It's not supposed to be romance and we don't know if it's important. I guess it will be useful in the future. If we are attracted to someone too much, we do unorthodox things for them or leave ourselves vulnerable. For instance, I wouldn't be surprised if Domi would sacrifice herself for Noe.
Jan 10, 2022 4:45 PM
Mar 2021
Bro tf u expected it's like ur saying there ain't any action in slice of life.It's good the way romance is in vanitas as it should be in the story and that's enough.
Jan 10, 2022 4:46 PM
Jun 2020
Lol i agree with you when i watched it i thought at the beginning bruh romance does not fit into the anime meanwhile i think it‘s kinda rushed but it‘s okay
But i need to say that the romance is definitely different from other anime which is not bad at all
Jan 10, 2022 5:26 PM
Dec 2021
That blood sucking scene tough 💋😌
Jan 10, 2022 5:49 PM
Jul 2018
It's not romance focused anyway.
Jan 10, 2022 7:04 PM
Aug 2021
The little romance in the show jus creates and shows different sides of the characters, also teasing a but of Noe and Domi’s backstory.
Jan 10, 2022 7:06 PM

Jul 2021
The show is more historical than being it romance I'd say.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jan 10, 2022 7:08 PM
Jul 2018
Considering the “romance” starts with sexual assault, I’d agree
Jan 10, 2022 7:51 PM
Sep 2020
to begin with, it’s not even a romance anime
Jan 10, 2022 7:54 PM

Oct 2020
wait, Vanitas is a romance anime/manga all along?

Jan 10, 2022 10:10 PM

Dec 2020
agreed but honestly i just pretend like those dont exist lmao. jean's a nice girl and i like vanitas, nothing against them just not a fan of ....whatever is going on between them so i just ignore it. same with noe and dominique though rather of not liking their romance its just rly forgettable for me
Jan 11, 2022 4:03 AM
Jul 2021
the story does not revolve about romance anyway.
Jan 11, 2022 6:24 AM
Mar 2021
What do you expect then? The anime wasn't even labelled as a romance. But, yeah I do agree it kinda sucks; for me, I just focus more on the plot and it's more like it that way. Don't let it bother you too much.
Jan 11, 2022 1:04 PM
Sep 2021
It's a shojo anime written by a woman what did you expect
Jan 12, 2022 1:42 AM
Dec 2021
Roger-senpai said:
What do you expect then? The anime wasn't even labelled as a romance. But, yeah I do agree it kinda sucks; for me, I just focus more on the plot and it's more like it that way. Don't let it bother you too much.
The romance affects the story big time. It's making the plot messy so of course it's bothering me.
Jan 12, 2022 1:48 AM
Dec 2021
touyapet said:
to begin with, it’s not even a romance anime
I know. More reason why it sucks. A shounen anime with a random bad-written romance in it... terrible.
Jan 12, 2022 2:21 AM
Dec 2021
For real! I mean, yes it's not romance focus because it's shounen, but the horrible romance stands out the most rather than it's actual genres. They said the romance specially with vanitas and jeanne is necessary for the plot but I can't see any important aspect in their relationship aside from character development purposes. Their whole interaction and relationship seem more like a fanservice.
Jan 12, 2022 2:34 AM
Mar 2021
the real romance is Vanitas and Noe anyway, and it's great

Jan 12, 2022 2:53 AM

Aug 2017
KaiXy_ said:
For real! I mean, yes it's not romance focus because it's shounen, but the horrible romance stands out the most rather than it's actual genres. They said the romance specially with vanitas and jeanne is necessary for the plot but I can't see any important aspect in their relationship aside from character development purposes. Their whole interaction and relationship seem more like a fanservice.

It's not because it's a shounen that it cannot be romance focus (e.g. Horimiya, Fuuka, Suzuka are shonen and romance focus), but I agree that the romance affects the flow of the story for this series.
Jan 14, 2022 2:40 PM

Jan 2016
But romance isn't the point of the show.
Jan 21, 2022 3:54 PM
Nov 2021
Vanijeanne sucks, big time.
Jan 22, 2022 1:26 AM

Jun 2019
I favor both of the relationships (Vanitas and Jeanne even moreso), but at the same time it's more a subplot or supporting element of the story than the central plot. Meaning it can be emphasized and take center stage, then be shifted to the backburner without too much disruption to the congruence and flow of the show.

I thought while watching this first season that the series could use a Romance genre tag, but I'd say its primary focus is moreso with the tags it already has - Historical, Vampire, and Supernatural. And if a Romance genre tag were to be added, then it could very easily and credibly be argued that Comedy and Drama genre tags should be added too.

KaiXy_ said:

In some series, character development is itself crucial to and part of the plot. In some cases, the characters basically "are" the plot.
WatchTillTandavaJan 22, 2022 1:32 AM
Jan 22, 2022 8:12 AM

Jul 2015
I just dropped the serie after ep 3
I can't believe the Mc stole a kiss from a girl against her will and was about to rape her...

The author went too far with this joke and obviously have no morals
tragedydesuJan 22, 2022 8:17 AM
Jan 22, 2022 8:34 AM
Feb 2021
tragedydesu said:
I can't believe the Mc stole a kiss from a girl against her will and was about to rape her...

lol he was not about to rape her,wtf did we watched the same show it's just a kiss and a proposal after that nothing more nothing less.
Ratings doesn't matter only enjoyment does.
Masterpiece or mid, generic or fresh,best or worst are all subjective
Eren is goat,and aot is still a masterpiece (eg.subjective opinion)

Jan 22, 2022 8:50 AM

Jul 2015
shivamrajput958 said:
tragedydesu said:

lol he was not about to rape her,wtf did we watched the same show it's just a kiss and a proposal after that nothing more nothing less.

he said 'he wanted more' before that guy stopped him , okay maybe he wasn't going to rape her but he went too far

'just a kiss' are you telling me that stealing a kiss from a girl against her will is okay??
and yeah a proposal after a sexual harassment.. so romantic

not sure if i'm a highly sensitive person or just people's morals this days are too weird
anyway i can't possibly forgive that kind of scenes

btw i agree with op ,this anime would be so much better if it didn't have any romance
tragedydesuJan 22, 2022 8:55 AM
Jan 22, 2022 9:07 AM
Feb 2021
tragedydesu said:
shivamrajput958 said:

he said 'he wanted more' before that guy stopped him , okay maybe he wasn't going to rape her but he went too far

'just a kiss' are you telling me that stealing a kiss from a girl against her will is okay??

not sure if i'm a highly sensitive person or just people's morals this days are too weird

btw i agree with op ,this anime would be so much better if it didn't have any romance
okk i respect ur opinion but it kinda hard to believe that u r a senstive person, because u watched mirai nikki which literally got gang rape but still u finished it,then noragami aslo have and non-concentual kiss,same goes with death note where where L feeling that girl butt,so according to u thats not considered sexual harrasment?

Jan 22, 2022 9:38 AM

Jul 2015
@shivamrajput958
i'm not okay with that kind of scenes at all but i can swallow them under some conditions , the mc is supposed to be likable and easy to root for him , if a villain sexual harass a girl then it makes sense he is an asshole he is supposed to be hated

the gank rape in mirrai nikki was commited by evil characters not the main characters (im glad they got slaughtered)
the stealing kiss in noragami was so disgusting and unnecessary , i just forced myself to finish that anime because only 2 episodes left
i watched death note a long time ago so i don't remember L doing that , i'm not okay with it even as a joke
Jan 22, 2022 9:41 AM
Feb 2021
tragedydesu said:
@shivamrajput958
i'm not okay with that kind of scenes at all but i can swallow them under some conditions , the mc is supposed to be likable and easy to root for him , if a villain sexual harass a girl then it makes sense he is an asshole he is supposed to be hated

the gank rape in mirrai nikki was commited by evil characters not the main characters (im glad they got slaughtered)
the stealing kiss in noragami was so disgusting and unnecessary , i just forced myself to finish that anime because only 2 episodes left
i watched death note a long time ago so i don't remember L doing that , i'm not okay with it even as a joke
ohh okk nice,i also don't like that types of things irl but i can watch it until it's fiction.

Jan 22, 2022 7:07 PM
Oct 2019
I like romance so it's a win win for me :)
Feb 10, 2022 3:55 PM
Dec 2021
WatchTillTandava said:
I favor both of the relationships (Vanitas and Jeanne even moreso), but at the same time it's more a subplot or supporting element of the story than the central plot. Meaning it can be emphasized and take center stage, then be shifted to the backburner without too much disruption to the congruence and flow of the show.

I thought while watching this first season that the series could use a Romance genre tag, but I'd say its primary focus is moreso with the tags it already has - Historical, Vampire, and Supernatural. And if a Romance genre tag were to be added, then it could very easily and credibly be argued that Comedy and Drama genre tags should be added too.

KaiXy_ said:

In some series, character development is itself crucial to and part of the plot. In some cases, the characters basically "are" the plot.

Hmm.. I can agree with your last statement because Vanitas and Noè are the plot of vnc.
Feb 10, 2022 4:03 PM

Aug 2021
these romance are pretty rare anyways
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 28, 2022 1:25 PM
Mar 2021
I agree 100% with Eren_cho

But in general I think romance in story that's not focused on romance is not that good because of what you said "relationship lack depth"

If romance manga spend their whole manga focus on romance so they have proper relationship development and character development based on their relationship, manga like Vanitas no Carte only spend less than 10 chapter won't have proper of that.

Then why this author put romance here? My answer is in Eren_cho's answer.
Feb 28, 2022 1:43 PM
Mar 2021
Saimatsu_Fan said:

lol 😂
1. This is not shoujo
2. What's wrong with a story written by women? You want to underestimate woman's ability to write a story? I read romance story written by women everyday.
3. I read shoujo manga daily, many of them have a really good character development and relationship development. The way they compromise, try to understand each other, going through trial and error in relationship, and improving themselves feels so natural. I know since I have been in relationship several times 😂 I can recommend some of them if you want, you can just tell me what type of story do you like so you won't underestimate shoujo manga made by women. But it's useless if your prejudice is deep rooted though, people like that will always found fault in anything they don't like.
Feb 28, 2022 2:19 PM
Mar 2021
tragedydesu said:

I am tired explaining this but here I am 😂
1. He is not about to rape her. A stranger d**k ever rub against me and I don't immediately think he want to rape me dude 😂 It can be he want to harrass me, not to the point of rape.
2. It's not a joke.
3. Every author have their own way to show us that the character is doing something wrong. In Vanitas no Carte's case, the author made the other character say it. IF YOU WATCH IT PROPERLY, you will notice 3 people call Vanitas the worst and even explain what he did wrong. "Punching a girl in her gut" for example. You are too far by calling a person you never meet immoral.
4. You say Vanitas is supposed to be character that we are rooting for? NO NO AND NO. We are just supposed to see his life, this is the Case Study of Vanitas. In a case study of murder, you think we should root for the murder? No. We are just observing Vanitas, same way as Noe. Because his life intertwine with many things that happen in that world. No one tell you to root for Vanitas 😂 It's so weird how your favorite character is Light Yagami, a killer. He kills other people without their consent. If your concern is consent, then you are not okay with sexual harasser but okay with killer, that's what I call hypocrite. Maybe because you don't root for him? But who tell you to not root for Light but root for Vanitas? I think your problem is you just don't like pervert.
5. There are some people who can't understand consent and that's because people do something toward them without their consent. That's what I think happen to him because of his past.
6. This is spoiler

If you cant watch something against your morals, that's good you don't watch this anymore. As for me, I enjoy to read something different with me and my value and observe them for case study, of course not because I don't have moral 😂 But that's only if the author also acknowledge bad as bad and I already explain in point 3. I know a manga that doesn't show at all in every way possible that the character is doing something wrong (I seriously check every sign to indicate he is wrong but nothing at all). I don't like this type of story.
Alice0006Feb 28, 2022 5:54 PM
Mar 4, 2022 10:04 PM

May 2020
I'm only 4 episodes in and yeah the romance is not the best. It's like a 12 year old wrote a wattpad book.
Mar 13, 2022 2:01 PM

Sep 2016
VnK's romance is boring and poorly developed, chapter 11 was the worst, Vanitas x Jeanne is really annoying.

I watched this because I thought it would be like Pandora Hearts. Romance shouldn't be included if it isn't going to be well written and for VnK is unnecessary.

Agree with @Alice0006
Mar 21, 2022 10:14 PM

Apr 2020
I don’t know I like it, Vanitas & Jeanne’s interactions are funny.
“You flounder through life, struggling desperately so you won't drown, even though you would float if you'd just relax.”
Mar 29, 2022 6:10 PM

Aug 2008
The romance has no depth which is what make it seem as simply annoying fanservice. Some commenters above saying "its not about romance anyway" is really mystifying, that aspect of the show shouldn't be here if it isn't going to be done properly. Even if its not the primary plot if its included at all it needs to be competently done. Part of the reason why I doubt I'll ever watch season 2.

That and Vanitas being one of the most annoying characters I've had the displeasure of watching. Jeanne turning into a badass when introduced into a blushing non entity from then on doesn't help either.
Mar 29, 2022 6:19 PM

Feb 2021
Vanitas no Karte is not a romance focused anime.
Apr 1, 2022 6:21 PM

Sep 2012
tragedydesu said:

Why are you going on about morals in anime when you really love the couple in Taishou Otome Otogibanashi? It looks like an adult being in a relationship with a kid.
Apr 1, 2022 11:49 PM

Jul 2015
FlamingMangos said:
tragedydesu said:

Why are you going on about morals in anime when you really love the couple in Taishou Otome Otogibanashi? It looks like an adult being in a relationship with a kid.

Being very short = kid? have you never met short people who don't look like their age?
The age gap btw them is 2 years,he is too tall for his age and she's too short for her age
Apr 1, 2022 11:55 PM

Sep 2012
tragedydesu said:
FlamingMangos said:

Being very short = kid? have you never met short people who don't look like their age?
The age gap btw them is 2 years,he is too tall for his age and she's too short for her age

There's a difference with being short and looking literally like you're 8 years old. Like cmon on, don't make excuses. It's obviously meant to be a loli character and the age is just an excuse to make it acceptable like the vampire loli stereotype. Just look at the author's work and there's a pattern with lolis. I'm not gonna judge you because anime is just not the place to go on about morals. Just don't talk about morals when your favorite couple looks like a kid with an adult.
FlamingMangosApr 2, 2022 12:01 AM
Apr 2, 2022 12:16 AM

Jul 2015
@FlamingMangos
it can be an excuse and it also can be realistic ,at workplace i know a girl who is 28 but looks like 14 (im also a very short person)
you have never seen this anime so stop talking about something you don't know anything about

i'm not here to teach people about morals lol , i can watch an anime with a serial killer but there is no way i can watch it with a rapist/or an mc who sexual harass girls (i may watched one ot two of them in the past but i can't stand them anymore)
Apr 2, 2022 1:10 AM
Apr 2022
Some people think the couple in the anime is suck and some love it.
It's vampire and eccentric human with power &have messed up mind? And vampire-vampire. Idk how normal romance should be. And maybe they not well written since they not meet and together since first episode.
Apr 6, 2022 10:16 PM
Mar 2018
Saimatsu_Fan said:
saying 'written by a woman' isn't an insult lol, the highest rated show on this website was 'written by a woman'
Apr 9, 2022 3:35 AM

Oct 2019
Maybe her famous work "Pandora hearts" will help you to understand how Jun actually portrays 'romance' in general,
Take a note that her work is mostly broad minded and warped up with complexity.
Apr 10, 2022 5:37 PM

Jun 2019
tragedydesu said:
shivamrajput958 said:

Bruuuh, y'all a bunch of Incel fr. Go touch some grass and get bitten by a woman in real life + L + Ratio.

Apr 13, 2022 4:51 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
gswelcome said:
The romance has no depth which is what make it seem as simply annoying fanservice. Some commenters above saying "its not about romance anyway" is really mystifying, that aspect of the show shouldn't be here if it isn't going to be done properly. Even if its not the primary plot if its included at all it needs to be competently done. Part of the reason why I doubt I'll ever watch season 2.

That and Vanitas being one of the most annoying characters I've had the displeasure of watching. Jeanne turning into a badass when introduced into a blushing non entity from then on doesn't help either.

You should give at least a few episodes of part 2 a try, and there's only romance in like 3 episodes. I don't ship them either, but it becomes better in the second half.
Apr 18, 2022 1:52 PM

Jun 2019
tragedydesu said:
@FlamingMangos
it can be an excuse and it also can be realistic ,at workplace i know a girl who is 28 but looks like 14 (im also a very short person)
you have never seen this anime so stop talking about something you don't know anything about

i'm not here to teach people about morals lol , i can watch an anime with a serial killer but there is no way i can watch it with a rapist/or an mc who sexual harass girls (i may watched one ot two of them in the past but i can't stand them anymore)

Just a quick update, @tragedydesu has been proven to be an Incel unlike the people in this thread. Most of you guys are probably in a relationship compared to this weirdo.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2021

126 by nikki05 »»
Apr 15, 10:30 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2021

242 by Sasutaschi »»
Apr 6, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2021

158 by wallus81 »»
Mar 25, 7:29 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2021

148 by wallus81 »»
Mar 24, 12:54 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Carte Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2021

350 by wallus81 »»
Mar 18, 4:24 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.