Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 7, 2022 3:52 AM

Feb 2013

“The Boltzmann brain argument suggests that it is more likely for a single brain to spontaneously and briefly form in a void (complete with a false memory of having existed in our universe) than it is for our universe to have come about in the way modern science thinks it actually did. It is a reductio ad absurdum response to Ludwig Boltzmann's early explanation for the low-entropy state of our universe.” - Lalit Patel PhD Physics, MBA

I should of never ventured down the rabbit hole.
Jan 7, 2022 6:34 AM

Mar 2021
How brief are we talking? How long can this spontaneous alien space brain survive out there just on its own?

GenshinRosariaJan 7, 2022 6:38 AM
Jan 7, 2022 10:38 AM

Feb 2013
SemillaMinoria said:
How brief are we talking? How long can this spontaneous alien space brain survive out there just on its own?

I'm not sure how time in the simulation relates to the real time in the void. Is time even a thing in the void? Who knows!
Jan 7, 2022 10:54 AM

Jan 2009
quantum mechanics says anything that can happen will happen anyway
Jan 7, 2022 11:12 AM

Aug 2012
Numbers are infinite, events have probability, given infinite time there will be infinite events. I don't think it's that bizarre to think about.
Jan 7, 2022 4:19 PM

Dec 2019
Yes. Quantum mechanics suggests it can happen. Though the chances are insanely small.

"In this physics thought experiment, a Boltzmann brain is a fully formed brain, complete with memories of a full human life in our universe, that arises due to extremely rare random fluctuations out of a state of thermodynamic equilibrium. Theoretically, over an extremely large but not infinite amount of time, by sheer chance, atoms in a void could spontaneously come together in such a way as to assemble a functioning human brain. Like any brain in such circumstances (the hostile vacuum of space with no blood supply or body), it would almost immediately stop functioning and begin to deteriorate."
Jan 7, 2022 5:49 PM

Mar 2008
Like I said in other thread it is in part related to solipsism though it doesn't entirely reject possibility of something other than just a brain so the odds aren't good you will be that space floating brain as opposed to any other brain. So statistically it's unlikely the world around you is your own creation in your brain that you are
Jan 7, 2022 6:37 PM

Jan 2019
Same thread:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1928435
(But that was last year, so there's probably no need to delete this one.)

I just don't understand why it would have to be a brain specifically. The human brain as we know is very limited and full of imperfections in logic and consistency, so it's very unlikely that one could mentally create this universe.

Now, if we're talking about memories, yes, it's possible, but I still think that the way we're currently experiencing time is enough evidence that such a thing is not the case. The fact that a memory is fresh when you're presently interacting with a thing and gradually becomes loose until lost creates this continuum experience that we have, and the continuum determines that once I finish writing this post, my memories of typing its first words will not be as palpable as the ones I'm creating now, but how could new memories continue to be as fresh as the ones when I first started typing this if I was born just now and will no longer be alive in the next second? Well, I guess the fact that this memory I'm making at this very moment of typing "this" might be, in fact, just an illusion and since the continuum does inevitably make the memories fade away, I cannot be so sure that those memories of initially typing this post or even when previously typing "this" were ever as palpable as I now believe them to have been then...

So now I doubt my own experience of time, thanks.
SheklonJan 7, 2022 6:45 PM

More topics from this board

» Have you ever touched and/or kept any foreign currency(ies)?

Kiryotsu - Apr 29

41 by Kikugi »»
3 minutes ago

» Lonely Teens Are Making "Friends" With AIs

deg - May 11

33 by Serafos »»
9 minutes ago

» Question about how demonic some colours are

LenRea - 6 hours ago

13 by MalchikRepaid »»
39 minutes ago

» How long have you been using your accounts on your favorite sites?

RobertBobert - 7 hours ago

6 by Serafos »»
39 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

760 by Hitagi__Furude »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.