Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 29, 2021 10:06 PM

Nov 2016
I love the first episode when fighting with the betas, the rest are dogshit
Dec 30, 2021 12:47 AM

Jan 2015
revyHOLiC said:
I love the first episode when fighting with the betas, the rest are dogshit

Yeah agree Eps 1 wow but the rest awful

Dec 30, 2021 1:37 PM

Oct 2010
RIP Sagiri Naoya, a true patriot, may he harvest bliss in paradise.
Unfortunately there's a s2 of this so I have to watch it because I am a fan of the VN.
Dec 31, 2021 7:41 AM
Dec 2013
Man. They butchered this adaptation so fucking much yet I'm still crying like a baby because it reminded me of the VN.
Jan 15, 2022 1:53 PM
Jul 2014
Honestly, I understood nothing lmao

Haven't figured out which side is which, why are the Americans doing what they do

The mechas were also quite non recognizable and I got confused so many times during the fights that I don't even know which side died ...
Jan 17, 2022 6:48 AM
Dec 2021
@TigreDemon

Learn how to use Brain.
Jan 17, 2022 7:11 AM

Dec 2008
I guess that was quite allright, not as action packed as, let's say Total Eclipse.

I played the VN, the goofy part and a bit of the thing afterwards, I will try to finish it before cour 2.

The addition of all the political situation stuff at episode 10 shows that the author must be an old man lol. It was made more complex than it had to be or it was too realistic for anime? The parts with Yuuko were a bit more interesting since I like scifi elements.

About the episode, who brainwashed the pilot from Finland? very sad it happened.
And why was Yoroi arrested in the end, she wasn't with the coupe people (I hope )
At least everyone was upset about something afterwards, that what everyone could agree with.

The graduation was a good point to end the season not a cliffhanger like 86 *grrr*

one more thing I found upsetting the most was that they really dwarfed Sumika's character design with a sleepy red haircolor and boring hairstyle.
FabienneJan 17, 2022 7:47 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2022 7:36 AM
Dec 2021
@Fabienne

Yoroi
but her father was associated with the rebels
Jan 19, 2022 8:19 AM

Jul 2008
Well that was a lackluster series overall.

Plot was all over the place and animation was poor, and character development was poor.

Overall 4/10
Jan 20, 2022 5:53 AM
Feb 2015
Fabienne said:
one more thing I found upsetting the most was that they really dwarfed Sumika's character design with a sleepy red haircolor and boring hairstyle.

They dwarfed every character not just Sumika.
Sumika lost her ribbon and ahoge.
Meiya lost her air vents
Tama lost her boomerangs
Chizuru lost her eyebrows and large braids
Kei lost her well ample breasts, let me rephrase this part.
Kei, Marimo & Yuuko lost their ample breasts.

And one of the things i enjoyed about Muv-Luv is the ridiculous designs. The VN designs work well with Extra's settings and doesn't feel off even with Unlimited & Alternative.
Jan 25, 2022 11:18 PM

Apr 2007
ixarising said:

And one of the things i enjoyed about Muv-Luv is the ridiculous designs. The VN designs work well with Extra's settings and doesn't feel off even with Unlimited & Alternative.

I always felt like the ML VN had the quintessential 2000s anime art style. I love it in the VN. That said, for a modern style take on the characters, they weren't that bad. I found Sumika pretty cute in this anime, actually.
AlexeonJan 27, 2022 5:26 PM
Blergh.
Jan 26, 2022 4:39 AM
Feb 2015
Alexeon said:
ixarising said:

I always felt like the ML VN had the quintessential 2000s anime art style. I love it in the VN. That said, for a modern style take on the characters, they weren't that bad. I found Sumika pretty cute in this anime, actually.

Well it's good that they're trying to make the changes on the anime for the design. But when you change too much, it ends up ruining something as well. Like why change the body for everyone? One of the purpose to a character design is a first impression. It's the first thing we see before we get into a character. Just take Kei for example, she's meant to be the bustiest of the cadets yet in the anime she's just plain. Kei barely left any first impression, and the early episodes didn't help much to promote her further into a background character. I feel like some character designs should be for the purpose of leaving a strong first impression, differentiating them from others, be it beautiful, handsome, disgusting, scary, sexy etc. But the anime made all the girls generic, it feels like they became the same. It made everyone feel not special.
ixarisingJan 26, 2022 4:54 AM
Jan 29, 2022 6:36 AM

Nov 2016
Why all animes about BETA (muv-luv, schwarzmarken) starts great with interesting plot and fights against BETA and then it gets terrible with just shit political stuffs ? Humanity is near extinction and they are solving only who will have higher profit...
Honestly if it stayed with plot only about fights and training against beta I would give it 10/10. Also alternative world idea was good but that politics was useless and meaningless.
Jan 29, 2022 10:38 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
This adaptation has to be one of the most unfairly rated I have ever seen on MAL, the score is so low that I was sitting on ep1 after it aired, and just didnt felt like in the mood to watch it, but I m glad I finally gave it a change, binge watching it in 2 days.

I cant understand which criteria other fans are using to judge this anime, but I can point to stuff in they watch list, that I could present valid arguments to be WAY worst.
It is like we each have seen different versions of S1... the score can be really epic, bringing in the necessary mood for the scenes when it all goes down, so I dont mind they have sticked mostly with new songs, same for VA, they did a good job, and for the character designs, I like this more modern version to it, I can still recognize each character well enough, they just feel more modernized.
The art took a hit in some scenes with really weird character models and details, but outside that, the animation is decent enough, and when it matters, the fights are what I imagined them to be, fast and epic.

https://youtu.be/4R319IyfIF8
This battle scene above, is well over anything previous adaptations of the series have delivered on us, but considering the scale of what is ahead, I hope they take it to yet another level, because Sadogashima will need at least that much, and as for PSTD, I looked the shots they adapted with the first view from the cockpit and the warnings going on, I only expect them to do even better when the BETA appear, to me that will be crucial to see the BETA as menacing mindless killing machines that DONT STOP and DONT GIVE A SHIT.

I have to be honest here, to me, I dont think it would have made much of a difference IF they had adapted Extra and Unlimited prior to this, for my enjoyment of this season, but I have to take points away because there is no way this is an ideal situation, and they still skipped a lot of stuff I wanted to see from MLA.
Anime onlies SHOULD go and read the manga versions of the prequels, if they dont want to read the VN.

8.3/10 = 8

In the end I m very thankful S1 rised way above how I was imagining it to be, from checking almost weekly on these forums, on people shitting on it.

The sole ideal MLA adaptation would have required Extra and Unlimited to be adapted first, would require more episodes for MLA alone, and top notch direction like we have seen on the best stuff from things like Mushoku Tensei and Attack on Titan, but it seems it taking all these years was not for that, neither to come with a plan to do Extra, Unlimited and Alternative justice in anime form... rather I belive they were waiting for CG tech to get better, to reach this point, so be it.

Watching this season, brought back a lot of feels and nostalgia in, and for 90% of what they did, was pretty into it, if we have 26 more episodes to go, that should be decent to adapt it all, provided they up their game even further.
Also, I did like the original content they added showing more of Valkyries from the start, definitly better than dropping them solely later on.

I will not ever reccomend this season first, for the people that I see interested in VNs, those should always go with the VN as foremost, we will never get the adaptation we all waited and desired for all these years, but still, what is here is already better that most of what we see nowadays, and it spoke to my heart... Season 2 HYPE!
(the OP was decent, but I really want them to do a much better ED, this one was trash, and they should fucking use "Asu e no Houkou" for S2, if they dont have anything better go with)

hiraishinx said:
Why all animes about BETA (muv-luv, schwarzmarken) starts great with interesting plot and fights against BETA and then it gets terrible with just shit political stuffs ? Humanity is near extinction and they are solving only who will have higher profit...
Honestly if it stayed with plot only about fights and training against beta I would give it 10/10. Also alternative world idea was good but that politics was useless and meaningless.

To be fair to MLA, this is like only around 25-35% in the VN, and after this, you will see a much bigger focus on what people actually came to the series for.
Stick with it because you are bound to enjoy where the plot is going for from now on.

fathurhyde said:
Man. They butchered this adaptation so fucking much yet I'm still crying like a baby because it reminded me of the VN.

Butchered? Lol, it could have been gone a lot worst, I still remenber some drama queens thinking they were gonna adapt the whole VN in 12 episodes, like LOL.
For your standarts you see nowadays, this was better than most, direction and action was SOLID when it mattered, I think people really need to check on what they are seeing, and the compare with this season, instead of letting unreasonable expectations ditate what they feel about this.
YES this adaptation is not making justice to the VN, YES it deserved better, BUT that better will never materialize, this was the next best thing we were gonna get, thus I m fine with it.

For 12 episodes I think they actually tried really hard to come out with something decent and it shows.

sho52 said:
It was kinda passable, and I think the most important messages Kouki wanted to convey to modern Japan via the coup arc were covered. But man, how I just can't stand the manga-esque depiction of exaggerated emotion and all that shouting. If they keep this style for the rest of the series, it's gonna be such a huge downgrade from the original, which was so solemn and nuanced. Having much more time for detailed and realistic conversation certainly helps the VN, but still it's no excuse for the adaptation to make every line so melodramatic and almost comical. I am still of the opinion that the fact they strictly follows the manga without paying much attention, if at all, to the actual source, shows a huge lack of sincerity.

The second season will definitely get a higher rating than the first if we expect the adaptation to continue in the same way, and the emotional rollercoaster will kinda be there. It will be far from being able to reproduce the wild ride of reading the highest-rated VN of all time though.

I have read the manga and seen the VN too long ago to recall exactly, but I dont feel they were following one more than the other, then again, I do think the manga did a decent job in covering most bases...

Getting an higher rating that this is like the most easy thing in the world, it is already so impossible low, lower even than the truly garbage VN adaptations we can all agree on.
But yeah, not everyone likes politics, and I m sure the focus on BETAs from now will give many what they expected to see from the start.
IF anything, if they had adapted Extra and Unlimited as standalone, I dunno how much patience most anime onlies would have, to finally get into the action with the BETAs only much later in Alternative...
What is certain is that all these anime onlies are already exposed to the BETAs for a long time, thus even if they nail it, this adaptation, at that scene, will never come close to the experience a first time viewer, blinded, can have while playing the VN.

OppaiSugoi said:
KingGarland said:
Came for a show about girls in skin tight suits in mechs fighting aliens.

Got maybe two episodes of that, about 4 of character antics between the MC and his harem and 6 of a civil war arc I could barely follow or care about, though most of it did involve girls in skin tight suits in mechs so I got about half of what I wanted.

5/10

The VN lets you enjoy that :)

Ughh, I miss those chibi scenes in the VN so much, cute~~
(that said, Kasumi's where the very best!)
PlaycoolJan 29, 2022 10:43 AM
Jan 31, 2022 8:48 PM
Feb 2015
hiraishinx said:

Because one of Muv-Luv's theme is how humans can't co-exist even with an Extraterrestrial threat like the BETA.
Every single country is all about self preservation and benefit.
Feb 11, 2022 12:15 PM

Jan 2014
this tipical conflict shouldn't have been a problem when there's a thread to the extinction of humanity.
I still don't understand if the UN really want to control Japan, or their army is being sabotaged by BETA. the girl who started the shot didn't even realize she's shooting, and the dude is on her side until sliced to death by his own captain.

the fight between UN captain with Sagiri and Sagiri raged over what's already been killed (the girl who started the shot) is kinda pointless. the cause already gone and they should calmed a bit and talk it over, but instead he went berserk and suicidal.

now I understand why the rating isn't high.
Feb 12, 2022 8:00 PM
Oct 2020
Abyhape said:
this tipical conflict shouldn't have been a problem when there's a thread to the extinction of humanity.
I still don't understand if the UN really want to control Japan, or their army is being sabotaged by BETA. the girl who started the shot didn't even realize she's shooting, and the dude is on her side until sliced to death by his own captain.

the fight between UN captain with Sagiri and Sagiri raged over what's already been killed (the girl who started the shot) is kinda pointless. the cause already gone and they should calmed a bit and talk it over, but instead he went berserk and suicidal.

No. You are expecting us to abandon human nature just because some alien came to earth? That's just wishful thinking. Bear in mind cold war is still going. Are you expecting them to hold hands and walk together with no string attached? Are you expecting them to forget the fact they have been practically enemies for decades? Are you expecting people from different nations would work together perfectly? Don't get me wrong, sagiri is an absolute moron but if anything, it's realistic. You have been watching too many hollywood garbage. This anime has many many problems but the thing you mentioned isn't one of them.
Feb 16, 2022 3:00 AM
Feb 2015
Abyhape said:

If humans can let go of their selfishness and ego, then they won't be human anymore. We care more about our family over friends. We care more for our friends over strangers. We care more about our country over a foreign nation. Humans will always care about what is closer to us over what isn't related to us.
Mar 27, 2022 7:16 PM

Apr 2015
Usually never comment on MAL, but with Muv-Luv being one of my favourite franchises of all time...

I thought this was fine. There were some things I took issue with and I initially had my score much lower (6, then bumped it to 7 by episode 5 and finally gonna leave it at 8 purely for the entertainment factor and the amazing TSF combat), but overall I think I'd be happy to recommend this to people that are on the fence about the VN. You aren't spoiled on the biggest moments by just watching season 1 and I think everything after episode 4 does a good enough job that it should give you some idea of what the series is like.

It's not ideal of course, but in today's industry I just can't see anyone ever adapting Muv-Luv Extra. It's a parody of late 90s/early 2000s RomComs, so I just don't see that ever doing well. The original is already very divisive among the VN crowd.

For this adaptation though, I really think episode 1 was a mistake. Had it all been rolled out at once or as a split cour with less downtime, maybe it could have worked, but now going from that to Takeru's adventures feels pretty jarring and almost makes the show seem like a bait-and-switch. Sure, it provides some context for newcomers, but I still think episode 2 is arguably a better starting point as Takeru briefly summarizes his situation anyway.

Aside from that, episode 3 wasn't great and episode 11 had some pretty glaring problems with how they animated that. A shame too, because the latter is smack in the middle of the best this season has to offer. The dialogue or the writing isn't even the problem, it's just portrayed rather poorly.

Still, those are probably my main issues with the show. The new VAs grew on me (especially Yuuko's) and as said, the TSFs had some of the best mecha animation I've seen in a while. If we can expect the second half's level of quality for season 2 onwards I'm completely down.
Mar 30, 2022 3:44 AM
Feb 2015
Zweibern said:
Usually never comment on MAL, but with Muv-Luv being one of my favourite franchises of all time...

I thought this was fine. There were some things I took issue with and I initially had my score much lower (6, then bumped it to 7 by episode 5 and finally gonna leave it at 8 purely for the entertainment factor and the amazing TSF combat), but overall I think I'd be happy to recommend this to people that are on the fence about the VN. You aren't spoiled on the biggest moments by just watching season 1 and I think everything after episode 4 does a good enough job that it should give you some idea of what the series is like.

It's not ideal of course, but in today's industry I just can't see anyone ever adapting Muv-Luv Extra. It's a parody of late 90s/early 2000s RomComs, so I just don't see that ever doing well. The original is already very divisive among the VN crowd.

For this adaptation though, I really think episode 1 was a mistake. Had it all been rolled out at once or as a split cour with less downtime, maybe it could have worked, but now going from that to Takeru's adventures feels pretty jarring and almost makes the show seem like a bait-and-switch. Sure, it provides some context for newcomers, but I still think episode 2 is arguably a better starting point as Takeru briefly summarizes his situation anyway.

Aside from that, episode 3 wasn't great and episode 11 had some pretty glaring problems with how they animated that. A shame too, because the latter is smack in the middle of the best this season has to offer. The dialogue or the writing isn't even the problem, it's just portrayed rather poorly.

Still, those are probably my main issues with the show. The new VAs grew on me (especially Yuuko's) and as said, the TSFs had some of the best mecha animation I've seen in a while. If we can expect the second half's level of quality for season 2 onwards I'm completely down.

Well if we consider how much thought was place into Extra-Alternative. It makes me think if we really saw Extra beyond what he was planning. Like how Yoshimune mention in Age & his own broadcast.

I mean Extra is mainly a romcom so it's not wrong but the romcom did have it's link to the main story.
ixarisingMar 30, 2022 3:48 AM
Mar 30, 2022 7:09 PM

Apr 2015
ixarising said:

Well if we consider how much thought was place into Extra-Alternative. It makes me think if we really saw Extra beyond what he was planning. Like how Yoshimune mention in Age & his own broadcast.

I mean Extra is mainly a romcom so it's not wrong but the romcom did have it's link to the main story.

Yeah, I agree. The parallels are there and they're especially poignant in Alternative.

I'm someone that enjoyed Extra, but like I said, I understand why it might not ever be considered for an adaptation. It's one thing to ask people to sit through a season of boot camp (which could've been done imo), but another entirely to make a completely different genre a pre-requisite. It's not exactly uncommon that people speed through Extra because they want to get to the "good stuff", and I can't fault them for that.

In that regard, MLA is... OK as the starting point, but Unlimited probably would've been best (with some Extra flashbacks). But here we are.

Apr 2, 2022 6:41 AM
Feb 2015
Zweibern said:
ixarising said:

Yeah, I agree. The parallels are there and they're especially poignant in Alternative.

I'm someone that enjoyed Extra, but like I said, I understand why it might not ever be considered for an adaptation. It's one thing to ask people to sit through a season of boot camp (which could've been done imo), but another entirely to make a completely different genre a pre-requisite. It's not exactly uncommon that people speed through Extra because they want to get to the "good stuff", and I can't fault them for that.

In that regard, MLA is... OK as the starting point, but Unlimited probably would've been best (with some Extra flashbacks). But here we are.

As an anime series, Extra probably won't work, i can see it being treated like an OVA at best, maybe 2/3 episodes only.
Apr 2, 2022 7:07 PM

Jul 2014
Zweibern said:

well considering that MLA is basically groundhog day for Takeru, the show is already spoiling from the beginning since he knew what will happen in the previous timeline and basically alters events to avoid Alternative V, essentially being a time wizard. Shimata, ISEKAI MOMENT. Screw plot development amirite?
Apr 4, 2022 6:19 AM
Feb 2015
OppaiSugoi said:
Zweibern said:

well considering that MLA is basically groundhog day for Takeru, the show is already spoiling from the beginning since he knew what will happen in the previous timeline and basically alters events to avoid Alternative V, essentially being a time wizard. Shimata, ISEKAI MOMENT. Screw plot development amirite?

The funny thing is most first time viewers think Takeru has time looping powers. XD
Apr 4, 2022 3:07 PM

Jul 2014
ixarising said:
OppaiSugoi said:

The funny thing is most first time viewers think Takeru has time looping powers. XD

If that really happened, the anime would be a whole another story :\
Oct 5, 2022 10:01 AM
May 2016
ixarising said:
lanphung said:

She could very well be arrested for possessing uninspected letters from outside, but the anime forgot to add the part where some fellow helped getting sagiri's letter directly to ayamine.

They won't because there'll be lots of hassle later. Are you expecting everyone in the base to be crime free? There's bound to be people doing some behind the scene works like smuggling food, goods or something. They're letting this things go while being aware because it may affect morale. They're always under pressure that the BETA may attack them anytime, it's better to let the people have some freedom even if it's against military rules so long as it's not serious.

not this base, no sir. This base is arguably even more strategically vital than the capital of japan in-universe.
Oct 6, 2022 5:37 AM
Feb 2015
lanphung said:
ixarising said:

They won't because there'll be lots of hassle later. Are you expecting everyone in the base to be crime free? There's bound to be people doing some behind the scene works like smuggling food, goods or something. They're letting this things go while being aware because it may affect morale. They're always under pressure that the BETA may attack them anytime, it's better to let the people have some freedom even if it's against military rules so long as it's not serious.

not this base, no sir. This base is arguably even more strategically vital than the capital of japan in-universe.

First off, Alt IV a military secret project. You think they would do anything that could take people attention to them?
If other bases all have this practice and only one specific base doesn't, do you think it won't attract any attention?
For starters, how is the MP going to know which squad is affiliated with the the Alt IV and which squad is?
If they go through the underground channel properly, anything can go pass. As seen in Michiru's past story, they even managed to sneak in genuine meat and Marimo despite knowing it chose not to expose it. You can say it's because it's Marimo but i doubt all the trainers are so stupid to not realize it.
Oct 6, 2022 10:06 AM
May 2016
ixarising said:
lanphung said:

First off, Alt IV a military secret project. You think they would do anything that could take people attention to them?
If other bases all have this practice and only one specific base doesn't, do you think it won't attract any attention?
For starters, how is the MP going to know which squad is affiliated with the the Alt IV and which squad is?
If they go through the underground channel properly, anything can go pass. As seen in Michiru's past story, they even managed to sneak in genuine meat and Marimo despite knowing it chose not to expose it. You can say it's because it's Marimo but i doubt all the trainers are so stupid to not realize it.

1, Only when they know from top to bottom what's being smuggled in and out of the base that they can decide whether to let it slide or not. You can argue that the whole coup thing was all Yuuko's doing to smoke out the troublemakers in the capital, doesn't mean she didn't know each and any of the movements from the puppets whose strings were being pulled- least of all the only one that has such a personal history with Sagiri, the leader of coup forces. Ayamine was just an extra pawn she can use in her catalog of backup plans, which was numerous, to say the least.
2, Alternative projects are secrets to all but the only people that mattered and were able to interfere with its completion. There was no need to remove any attention at all since it'd managed to attract all the attention it can get.
Oct 7, 2022 9:54 PM
Feb 2015
lanphung said:
ixarising said:

1, Only when they know from top to bottom what's being smuggled in and out of the base that they can decide whether to let it slide or not. You can argue that the whole coup thing was all Yuuko's doing to smoke out the troublemakers in the capital, doesn't mean she didn't know each and any of the movements from the puppets whose strings were being pulled- least of all the only one that has such a personal history with Sagiri, the leader of coup forces. Ayamine was just an extra pawn she can use in her catalog of backup plans, which was numerous, to say the least.
2, Alternative projects are secrets to all but the only people that mattered and were able to interfere with its completion. There was no need to remove any attention at all since it'd managed to attract all the attention it can get.

And you need to consider Sakon. As long as Sakon is around, anything can go pass the military base. It's not a matter of whether or not the MP are competent or not. It's a matter if they're more skillful than Sakon or not.
Nov 2, 2022 1:21 PM
Aug 2018
Great episode overall
Nov 16, 2022 7:17 PM

Jul 2009
Wow, so bushido. Very samurai.
MoeMoeKyunNov 17, 2022 5:05 AM
Jun 14, 2023 5:18 AM
May 2020
Very good, the fight scene was really well executed!
Jul 11, 2023 4:31 AM

Jul 2015
May have butchered the VN with the amount of cut content and stuff making it hard to follow the story (like what happened in the past), but as an anime-only I still found this to be a decent season with some good moments.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Why fans are OVERREACTING.?

Sandro8604 - Oct 14, 2021

46 by koneroko »»
Dec 27, 2022 4:09 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2021

45 by MoeMoeKyun »»
Nov 16, 2022 7:04 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2021

44 by MoeMoeKyun »»
Nov 16, 2022 6:44 PM

» There is no Muv Luv Alternative anime ( 1 2 )

OppaiSugoi - Oct 13, 2021

63 by ixarising »»
Oct 8, 2022 11:19 PM

» Do I have to watch the parent story?

Kappejoj - Sep 22, 2021

21 by Animaniaig »»
Oct 6, 2022 9:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.