Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 22, 2021 2:09 PM

Jul 2020
So, VN readers, I see it's not the same MCs in this one compared to Total Eclipse but do I still have to watch it to understand this one?
Sep 22, 2021 3:00 PM
Jan 2019
Total Eclipse is a side story, not necessary to watch. Their expressed goal is also to have this show be accessible to newcomers to the franchise
Sep 22, 2021 3:27 PM

Jul 2020
Incognimous said:
Total Eclipse is a side story, not necessary to watch. Their expressed goal is also to have this show be accessible to newcomers to the franchise

Ok thanks for answer!
Kinda weird to make a side story in 2012 and then make the actual thing in 2021 xD
Sep 22, 2021 4:19 PM

Jan 2017
Word of warning you will most likely understand nothing nor will watching this be a pleasant experience.

This is the "ending" arc of a visual novel series in which the start [a very important start] includes Muv-Luv and Muv-Luv Unlimited and contain very important character building/general set up and lasts around 30 hours of reading with Muv-Luv Alternative [being this one] being a 50+ hour linear second half and ending of the story.

There's no way they can create something like that into a 12 episode anime especially when they aren't including the first half and thus this is mainly for people who've already read the visual novel and just want to see it animated.

If this story at all interests you I highly recommend buying the visual novels on steam instead which still remain as one of the highest rated visual novels of all time on VNDB and have some of the highest production quality/budget for a visual novel.

Because this animation form will most likely be extremely lacking and will only serve to spoil major events and give a bad impression of the series.
Sep 22, 2021 4:33 PM

Jul 2020
Cneq said:
Word of warning you will most likely understand nothing nor will watching this be a pleasant experience.

This is the "ending" arc of a visual novel series in which the start [a very important start] includes Muv-Luv and Muv-Luv Unlimited and contain very important character building/general set up and lasts around 30 hours of reading with Muv-Luv Alternative [being this one] being a 50+ hour linear second half and ending of the story.

There's no way they can create something like that into a 12 episode anime especially when they aren't including the first half and thus this is mainly for people who've already read the visual novel and just want to see it animated.

If this story at all interests you I highly recommend buying the visual novels on steam instead which still remain as one of the highest rated visual novels of all time on VNDB and have some of the highest production quality/budget for a visual novel.

Because this animation form will most likely be extremely lacking and will only serve to spoil major events and give a bad impression of the series.

So if we say the VN had 20 volumes they're just skipping to vol 15? Well that's weird take :/ guess I won't be watching this
Sep 22, 2021 9:56 PM

Jun 2013
The anime is a new start point for the franchise, the anime isn't a reward of VN readers, it's for newcomers. We don't know how many episodes will have this anime neither how it will be the adaptation.

I recommend watch the anime instead listen VNs reader, majority of them will say that you better read the 100 hours novel. The anime staff is aware that the sequels of this novel are important, and I'm looking forward how they will do about it.

An anime should criticized as standalone product, it shouldn't be compared with the original story (the novel). Unfortunately the VN readers (English speaker) of Muv-Luv aren't happy with this anime and they will badmouth about it, like almost VN anime adaptation (look at the last comment, bad impression of the series? it will be lacking, the anime ISN'T EVEN OUT!). Bad news for the haters/doomposters, the Japanese fans are looking forward the anime in a positive way and from I can tell from Japanese comments in Youtube and Twitter, they're happy that after 15 years, Muv-Luv Alternative is having its own anime adaptation. I'm also a VN reader and I happy with this anime adaptation.

For the original poster, watch the anime, I bet that it's very unlikely that you will not read the novel, the anime can be surprising good or can be bad (it matters of taste).
Good news: the production can be considered healthy according to director's tweets, they finished about 7-8 episodes.
BlackScienceSep 22, 2021 10:04 PM
Sep 22, 2021 11:16 PM
Dec 2016
tbh just wait and see what the general consensus is about it when it ends or just read the vn if u care enough (it’s worth the read imo even if the anime is a « new starting point”)
Sep 23, 2021 1:05 AM

Feb 2019
Everything is pointing towards this being utterly abhorrent, so it's best just to leave it and stick with the VN.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Sep 23, 2021 3:07 PM
May 2021
Total eclipse is a spin-off.
If you want to watch this, at least play the prequels which will take ~30hrs of your time at least, but it worths it and makes you deeply related with the characters and story.
Sep 23, 2021 4:25 PM
Feb 2015
Kappejoj said:
Cneq said:

So if we say the VN had 20 volumes they're just skipping to vol 15? Well that's weird take :/ guess I won't be watching this

You can watch the anime first, it's one of the main purpose why they're doing the anime in the first place, i'm sure they will do it in a way where first time people can still engaged themselves with the story. As to whether it''s good or bad, it'll have to depend on the writing and one's own preference i suppose.

I'm a VN reader, i'll still give it a chance, it may turn out good, it may turn out bad. They may just change part or maybe even the entire story, who knows. In the end it's just an adaptation, they may or may not be faithful to the original. Adaptation nowadays are like this anyway, they take the original source, add some twists on their own.

Kappejoj said:
Incognimous said:

Ok thanks for answer!
Kinda weird to make a side story in 2012 and then make the actual thing in 2021 xD

Just FYI, they released two side stories, Total Eclipse and Schwarzesmarken. Schwarzesmarken is released to promote the upcoming VN. They did do a twist on the 2nd half VN by giving it two more routes.

Which is why i would still recommend new people to give it a chance, i mean opinions from the VN readers could be referenced, but right now the anime isn't out yet and for all i know, the anime may have its own twist to make it a complete story as a standalone.

If there's one thing i'm not happy is how they butchered the female characters' bodies. I mean 4 of the girls are supposed to have beautiful, sexy and alluring bodies like Yui and Cryska, but we ended up having Chobi.
ixarisingSep 23, 2021 4:32 PM
Sep 24, 2021 5:17 AM

Jul 2020
ixarising said:
Kappejoj said:

You can watch the anime first, it's one of the main purpose why they're doing the anime in the first place, i'm sure they will do it in a way where first time people can still engaged themselves with the story. As to whether it''s good or bad, it'll have to depend on the writing and one's own preference i suppose.

I'm a VN reader, i'll still give it a chance, it may turn out good, it may turn out bad. They may just change part or maybe even the entire story, who knows. In the end it's just an adaptation, they may or may not be faithful to the original. Adaptation nowadays are like this anyway, they take the original source, add some twists on their own.

Kappejoj said:

Ok thanks for answer!

Just FYI, they released two side stories, Total Eclipse and Schwarzesmarken. Schwarzesmarken is released to promote the upcoming VN. They did do a twist on the 2nd half VN by giving it two more routes.

Which is why i would still recommend new people to give it a chance, i mean opinions from the VN readers could be referenced, but right now the anime isn't out yet and for all i know, the anime may have its own twist to make it a complete story as a standalone.

If there's one thing i'm not happy is how they butchered the female characters' bodies. I mean 4 of the girls are supposed to have beautiful, sexy and alluring bodies like Yui and Cryska, but we ended up having Chobi.

Ok, guess I can wait a bit and see if I can watch it without reading the VN, don't really have the time to read 30 hours of it just to know what's happening in the anime
Sep 24, 2021 11:28 PM
Feb 2015
Kappejoj said:
ixarising said:

Ok, guess I can wait a bit and see if I can watch it without reading the VN, don't really have the time to read 30 hours of it just to know what's happening in the anime

Another FYI, the game producers did release Extra (Sumika/Meiya route) & Unlimited in their YouTube channel. If you're interested you can watch it, if you're not it's also okay. Well at this point, maybe it's better off if you just wait for the anime, and give the YouTube upload later.
Sep 26, 2021 9:33 AM

Jun 2021
I am still undecided whether to see it or not, is the other story important to be able to see this one? It catches my attention but, is it necessary to see the other story?

helpme x'd
venecoland.
Sep 26, 2021 11:15 AM

Sep 2017
monrrxykun said:
I am still undecided whether to see it or not, is the other story important to be able to see this one? It catches my attention but, is it necessary to see the other story?

helpme x'd

You mean total eclipse and schwarzesmarken? no you don't, you can if you want but they're not necessary
Dec 30, 2021 7:46 AM

Oct 2008
You shouldn't watch this in the first place. Just watch Total Eclipse and maybe Black Marks. This show is not worth anyone's time.
Jan 1, 2022 3:29 AM
Feb 2015
SofiaBulga said:
You shouldn't watch this in the first place. Just watch Total Eclipse and maybe Black Marks. This show is not worth anyone's time.

Total Eclipse and Schwarzesmarken aren't exactly good as anime either.
Total Eclipse maybe i'm wrong on that.
But Schwarzesmarken is pretty much rushed since they did 7 Volumes in 12 episodes.

Either way, i'd recommend the VN over anime too even for those two series.
Jan 14, 2022 3:14 PM

Mar 2021
You need to watch Akane Maniax to understand the full lore.
Jan 14, 2022 8:04 PM
Oct 2020
Mamiya-Takuji said:

No you don't. the only thing they both have in common is the characters.
Jan 14, 2022 11:07 PM
Sep 2019
dailybread said:
Mamiya-Takuji said:

No you don't. the only thing they both have in common is the characters.

At least in Akane Maniax shows the original Takeru's world so the viewers would be familiar with the world setting. Or they can watch Kiminozo first to understand more of the Extra world.
Oct 5, 2022 4:03 PM
May 2018
ixarising said:
SofiaBulga said:

But Schwarzesmarken
ixarising said:

But Schwarzesmarken is pretty much rushed since they did 7 Volumes in 12 episodes.

is pretty much rushed since they did 7 Volumes in 12 episodes.

I have watched both total eclipse and total eclipse is actually good in my opinion
Oct 6, 2022 5:41 AM
Feb 2015
Heepaa said:
ixarising said:

But Schwarzesmarken

I have watched both total eclipse and total eclipse is actually good in my opinion

Trust me, Schwarzesmarken especially got butchered hard. If they ever do the official VN translation you should have a go at it.
Oct 6, 2022 9:43 AM
Jan 2018
Heepaa said:
ixarising said:

But Schwarzesmarken

Total Eclipse was butchered almost as bad as this. The only thing it has over it is that the animation is actually passable, even if far worse than what's in the VN itself. Besides that, it's more or less as bad of an adaptation and show as this is. Pretty much all of the Muv-Luv adaptations are worthless and miss like the entire points of the narratives they're adapting.
AnimaniaigOct 6, 2022 9:48 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2021

82 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 11, 2023 4:31 AM

» Why fans are OVERREACTING.?

Sandro8604 - Oct 14, 2021

46 by koneroko »»
Dec 27, 2022 4:09 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2021

45 by MoeMoeKyun »»
Nov 16, 2022 7:04 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2021

44 by MoeMoeKyun »»
Nov 16, 2022 6:44 PM

» There is no Muv Luv Alternative anime ( 1 2 )

OppaiSugoi - Oct 13, 2021

63 by ixarising »»
Oct 8, 2022 11:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.