Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 4, 2021 12:07 AM

Jul 2020
Komi can't communicate is super unrealistic to me. Here's my reasoning.

I'm also an introvert myself and I haven't behaved like Komi at all lmao. And with the characters just accepting that Komi is socially awkward but they still remain as her friend really bugs me. So many people around me ask the same question "Why are you so silent" and it makes me look like a weirdo. I do make a couple of friends but when I don't talk to them for sometime, they just leave me like that but in Komi san's case, everyone just keep clinging to her even when she doesn't talk at all and this annoys me so much.

It's almost like, the Author doesn't know a thing about what being an introvert actually means. Ngl, he nailed Komi's characterization. When the Narrator keeps saying every episode "Just because these people don't talk doesn't mean they don't want to talk, they just can't" this line always makes me smile. It's the side characters that is completely ruining the atmosphere of what could've been the next "Silent Voice"

I've seen people hating Watamote for being unrealistic, but people are loving this. Yet again, double standards in the community is playing it's role.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 4, 2021 12:10 AM

Aug 2020
Komi-san's point isn't to be realistic, it is supposed to be a cute comedy so no it isn't realistic.
There are some dialogues that perfectly describe about how an introvert or socially awkward person might feel like the narration you just mentioned.
For Watamote, most people just find it cringey because it's really exaggerated although it's like a guilty pleasure for me.
Dec 4, 2021 12:11 AM
Jul 2018
No, case of Komi san is not unrealistic i do have a friend who legit can not talk to anyone face to face and ends up avoiding irl conversations as much as he can, eh even limits the amount of words when he talks to me, So i don't think it's anything unrealistic.
Dec 4, 2021 12:17 AM
Dec 2020
As someone with autism, a communication disorder, i'd say it is 50/50. 50% of the time the story is very realistic and the other 50% is unrealistic with comedic aspects.

Btw, just because you're an introvert doesn't mean you know how communication disorders work.
Dec 4, 2021 12:18 AM

Jul 2020
Actually, Everything that happens to her is real.
Even if you're not talking, There are two basic factors for attracting people.
Because she's a girl and also because she's beautiful.
If you have these two things, You don't need communication skills.
Dec 4, 2021 12:20 AM

Jul 2020
xoroperatorxd said:
No, case of Komi san is not unrealistic i do have a friend who legit can not talk to anyone face to face and ends up avoiding irl conversations as much as he can, eh even limits the amount of words when he talks to me, So i don't think it's anything unrealistic.

Your classmates just leave your friend alone right? In Komi san's case, they keep clinging to her even when she doesn't talk. That's what bugs me a lot.
Isaac_02 said:

Yes, if she was ugly, I bet everyone would've avoided her.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Dec 4, 2021 12:22 AM
Jan 2021
I think clearly not
For me the biggest irregularity with this anime is this idolatry and attraction that everyone feels for komi-san, people who have problems communicating with others or who isolate themselves tend to suffer a lot of discrimination from others, in some cases even abuse, but no one there is no strangeness to komi-san's behavior as strange as it may seem, on the contrary she idealized as a goddess by everyone, it's not a situation that people with communication problems would likely go through
In my opinion, the anime's proposal to deal with the difficulties that a person with a disorder suffers kind of gets lost with the premise, in the end it's another normal comedy anime that you watch once a week and when the season ends you forget
Of course that's just my petty opinion, if someone disagrees please don't be angry
Dec 4, 2021 12:23 AM
Feb 2021
In this anime lots of characters just think she's pretty and they intract with her its not like her personality matters to them that much like yamai or agari.
Najimi was also friends with her because tadano asked and in the beginig everyone in the class were basically calling her a goddess, thats why people like her in anime.
As an introvert myself it's so unrealistic to see that you can not have a cool personality and still be popular but then again its anime and being realistic is not the point.
I like watamote better because at times im just as cringy so...
Also excuse my english.
Dec 4, 2021 12:23 AM
Oct 2021
Komi san never meant to be realistic in any way
Dec 4, 2021 12:38 AM

Jun 2020
Scordolo said:

I'm also an introvert myself and I haven't behaved like Komi at all lmao. And with the characters just accepting that Komi is socially awkward but they still remain as her friend really bugs me. So many people around me ask the same question "Why are you so silent" and it makes me look like a weirdo. I do make a couple of friends but when I don't talk to them for sometime, they just leave me like that but in Komi san's case, everyone just keep clinging to her even when she doesn't talk at all and this annoys me so much.

It's almost like, the Author doesn't know a thing about what being an introvert actually means. Ngl, he nailed Komi's characterization. When the Narrator keeps saying every episode "Just because these people don't talk doesn't mean they don't want to talk, they just can't" this line always makes me smile. It's the side characters that is completely ruining the atmosphere of what could've been the next "Silent Voice"

I've seen people hating Watamote for being unrealistic, but people are loving this. Yet again, double standards in the community is playing it's role.

This one is a way more realistic portrayal of an introvert getting to live the school life and findind redemption in the end (at least so far in the manga - it is not finished): Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!

If you read the manga of watamote you would know how good of a portrayal of the actual struggles an introvert has. It is harder to watch, because it shows you the uncomfortable parts of a lonely life (like trying to look good for the few contact a person has; lying about your activities; trying to avoid attention during school break...).

So I absolutely AGREE WITH YOU! Komi-san is just a wet dream of an introverted loner but not a reality. No, loners are usually not the best looking people because they lack these: friends to go shopping with (so their clothes so most of the time their parents taste), constructive criticism of their looks by their peers, motivation to try (they have noone they wanna look good for), and not surprisingly sometimes they are alone because they are ugly... They are not surrounded by people who care about them. Introverts do not so much want "100 friends" but a few really good ones that they can rely on and be themselves with.

‘It may be admitted that if it were possible for us to have so deep an insight into a human's way of thinking, as it shows itself both through inner and outer actions, that every, even the least incentive to these actions and all external occasions which affect them, were so known to us, then his future conduct could be predicted as certainly as the appearance of a solar or a lunar eclipse.’ Critique of Practical Reason, p. 230 of the Rosenkranz.
Dec 4, 2021 12:39 AM

Jun 2020
xoroperatorxd said:

Her condition is not unrealistic (some form if socially induced mutism) but her situation is; she should be alone and thought of a weird android.
‘It may be admitted that if it were possible for us to have so deep an insight into a human's way of thinking, as it shows itself both through inner and outer actions, that every, even the least incentive to these actions and all external occasions which affect them, were so known to us, then his future conduct could be predicted as certainly as the appearance of a solar or a lunar eclipse.’ Critique of Practical Reason, p. 230 of the Rosenkranz.
Dec 4, 2021 12:40 AM

Jan 2021
Yeah, its just an exaggeration for comedy purpose imo.

I can see why would people dislike it, after all I am also one of them.
Dec 4, 2021 12:41 AM
Jan 2021
It’s not about introversion though, it’s all about communication disorder, finding it hard to speak. She has no problem hanging out with people. And watomote was different, she didn’t have a problem with speaking, but with being socially awkward and being an introvert, those two are different. Plus wotomote was boring and annoying. This is just a funny comedy with seriousness sprinkled in it. Idk if it was trying to be realistic or not, it’s legit a comedy.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Dec 4, 2021 12:42 AM

Jun 2020
Darkmatter4321 said:
I think clearly not
For me the biggest irregularity with this anime is this idolatry and attraction that everyone feels for komi-san, people who have problems communicating with others or who isolate themselves tend to suffer a lot of discrimination from others, in some cases even abuse, but no one there is no strangeness to komi-san's behavior as strange as it may seem, on the contrary she idealized as a goddess by everyone, it's not a situation that people with communication problems would likely go through
In my opinion, the anime's proposal to deal with the difficulties that a person with a disorder suffers kind of gets lost with the premise, in the end it's another normal comedy anime that you watch once a week and when the season ends you forget
Of course that's just my petty opinion, if someone disagrees please don't be angry

I agree. I watch to. It is enjoyable but it is not good by any means. Watamote is not very enjoable at the beginning but it is actually a well constructed story with natural progression if you are willing to read the manga and bear like another 40-60 chapters of pure misery.
Dec 4, 2021 12:43 AM
Feb 2021
So you trying to say komi san is unrealistic ... Bro u good ?
Dec 4, 2021 12:46 AM
Jul 2018
Yes. But I think this is how it's supposed to be. The exaggeration of everything and all makes the comedy a bit annoying to me.
Dec 4, 2021 12:51 AM

May 2021
Scordolo said:

When will people understand that introversion and social anxiety are different. You are an introvert , I have social anxiety. Being an introvert isn’t a disease … social anxiety is a mental health condition
And the reason why people keep clinging to her is because she’s beautiful… which is supposed to have a parodical sense. People don’t understand that she can’t talk . They assume she doesn’t want to talk as she is “above” them( which can be explained as her face goes stiff and she looks intimidating when she has to talk to someone) ,that’s why they try to persuade her to talk to them. I hope you remember Yamai’s reaction when Tadano told her that Komi “can’t communicate”. This is the problem with this series . No introvert without SA can relate to Komi . Sadly, you guys can only laugh at the (obviously well made )gags , while people with SA be on the verge of tears due to their relatibility with Komi
If you read my rant till the end, thank you
Itsumo_IsshoDec 4, 2021 12:57 AM
If you are from South East Asia, then I request you, when you will start an anime, you search if it is available on Muse Asia and Ani-one Asia, before looking through piracy websites
Dec 4, 2021 12:52 AM

Jul 2021
Komi-san isn't meant to be fully realistic anyways because I've never heard of a single case to where an existing person can't be able to communicate but have the ability to hear people talking? To be frank, that's how her characterization goes I guess but when it comes to communication as a subject, I could definitely relate to her realistically because I don't often talk to my friends physically since I never really get along with people, you know communication is a struggle to me due to how consistent I have to be when talking to my friends since I tend to make grammatical errors and other than the realism of this subject to me, all that matters is the author did a really good to depict a lot of friendship which I think it's a good message for others to also treat their friends equally despite their disability or even appearance <- but Komi-san is beautiful in her own ways so she has nothing to be worried since struggling in communication doesn't affect her appearance in a negative way though she can be scared at times when looking at people in her surrounding but that's just Komi-san :3.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Dec 4, 2021 12:56 AM
Sep 2021
Holy shit an unrealistic comedy anime. I couldn’t possibly imagine such a thing would exist
Dec 4, 2021 12:57 AM
Jul 2017
For me, Komi is the relatable one irl =
1. If you have good look, people starting to idolize you, that's why Komi worshippers since episode 1 only care about her looks. They don't care her personality. If you have an average, even bad look, people trying to discriminate you despite you having a good character. This point is explored on episode 4 where =
- Yamai still likes Komi despite her having communication disorder
- Yamai think Tadano shouldn't have been Komi's friend because of how average he is (especially from his look) and trying to drag Tadano out of Komi's circle

2. Some people could misunderstood what you wanted to said or to do because these people make an action based on what they think without asking to you if what they think is right. This point is explored on every episode of Komi where =
- Maa-kun thinks Komi threatened him using his key after Komi just said few vocabulary (episode 2)
- Komi classmates thought Komi speechless because she is chosen as class rep where Komi really speechless because she couldn't say that she object it (episode 3).
- The beauty salon newbie thought Komi hate her just from looking at Komi's reaction (episode 6). I don't need to include every point of this since it's too long.

3. Because you couldn't respond/speak properly to other, you become uneasy, always thinking "why I couldn't say this or that" that resulted in increased anxiety. This point is explored in episode 6 where Komi's anxiety increases each time she reminisce everything she had done that day.

From these three points (which I possibly have some mistake in interpret it), I can say I can relate to Komi.

This is my opinion. I accept any argument and error fixes. Thank you.
Dec 4, 2021 1:12 AM
Apr 2020
Anime comedy in general isn't often realistic, and Komi is not an exception, but that isn't really a problem because the show isn't trying to be realistic in the first place.
Dec 4, 2021 1:21 AM
Mar 2021
Who said it's supposed to be realistic?
Dec 4, 2021 1:38 AM
Mar 2021
Scordolo said:

do people hate Watamote for being unrealistic? I’ve never met anyone that said Watamote is unrealistic. The problem with Watamote is because it’s realistic, and honestly most people that watch anime wants an unrealistic element to the story. Which is why Komi is so popular and why I find Komi kind of insulting. I’m someone that doesn’t get offended. But this story is the most offensive anime.
Dec 4, 2021 1:38 AM

Feb 2019
Fact is the show is fetishising mental illness. I can't say for certain if intentionally, or if it was a genuine but poor attempt, but either way it's not an accurate nor at times even respectable examination of the condition.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Dec 4, 2021 1:53 AM
Dec 2020
Itsumo_Issho said:
Scordolo said:

When will people understand that introversion and social anxiety are different. You are an introvert , I have social anxiety. Being an introvert isn’t a disease … social anxiety is a mental health condition
And the reason why people keep clinging to her is because she’s beautiful… which is supposed to have a parodical sense. People don’t understand that she can’t talk . They assume she doesn’t want to talk as she is “above” them( which can be explained as her face goes stiff and she looks intimidating when she has to talk to someone) ,that’s why they try to persuade her to talk to them. I hope you remember Yamai’s reaction when Tadano told her that Komi “can’t communicate”. This is the problem with this series . No introvert without SA can relate to Komi . Sadly, you guys can only laugh at the (obviously well made )gags , while people with SA be on the verge of tears due to their relatibility with Komi

You are absolutely correct. Couldn't have said it better.
Dec 4, 2021 1:55 AM
Mar 2021
Thigh_Tide said:
Fact is the show is fetishising mental illness. I can't say for certain if intentionally, or if it was a genuine but poor attempt, but either way it's not an accurate nor at times even respectable examination of the condition.
I really like your response. This series as a whole offends me. I have social anxiety and growing I always had an absurd amount of confidence that leaves people thinking, “what the heck.” I watched Watamote and no i don’t think it’s an exaggeration. This series is an exaggeration. I don’t mind the Komi and some of the side characters, but the world has a whole is the problem. No… there won’t be such acceptance from the normal society. The nail that sticks out gets hammered first and I understand that school itself is full teenagers that can be considered as weirdos. But there’s no way a school of misfits would get together a coexist like that. In reality it would be a cesspool of hurt and desire that breeds toxicity.
Dec 4, 2021 2:33 AM
Dec 2020
Infernalization said:
Itsumo_Issho said:

You are absolutely correct. Couldn't have said it better.

Actually, it isn't correct. I just did my research. People with social anxiety are people who have the skills to communicate but are too scared to do so. A communication disorder is a disorder with which people don't have the skills to communicate. With communication disorders there are different stages of communicating (some have more/less trouble communicating than others). Even a stage in the extreme. People with a communication disorder can learn to communicate, but even learning it is hard. Some have more trouble with it than others.

So social anxiety and communication disorders are different.
Dec 4, 2021 2:41 AM
Feb 2021
It is comedy + slice of life, not a psychological anime
Dec 4, 2021 2:53 AM
Jul 2018
Scordolo said:
xoroperatorxd said:

Your classmates just leave your friend alone right? In Komi san's case, they keep clinging to her even when she doesn't talk. That's what bugs me a lot.
Isaac_02 said:

Yes, if she was ugly, I bet everyone would've avoided her.
Yeah, no one treats him like a god like komi san because this is real life and that doesn't happens in real life, but being socially awkward to the point that you cannot talk, that's very real.
Dec 4, 2021 2:57 AM
May 2019
Darkmatter4321 said:
I think clearly not
I completely agree with you, the way everyone simps for her bugs me too and ruining it not to mention the comedy is so repetitive and there isn't any development
Dec 4, 2021 3:00 AM
May 2019
It's pretty damn unrealistic, the way everyone just view her as a Goddess is really getting annoying at the end of the day it's your another average comedy anime
Dec 4, 2021 3:00 AM

Sep 2018
Of course she is unrealistic. It’s a comedy manga; character traits are intentionally intensified.

Though if you’re asking if the way she acts is unrealistic, then no. Communication disorders are a real thing. It’s different to just being an introvert, it’s quite literally a mental disorder.
DeaneDec 4, 2021 3:05 AM
Dec 4, 2021 3:42 AM
Mar 2021
I don't think Komi being an introvert is the theme of the anime.I don't even think of Komi as an introvert lmao.This anime is about social anxiety and I act the same as Komi so this anime is too relatable for me.
Dec 4, 2021 4:58 AM
Jul 2021
Dude is really saying that he was introvert and compare himself to someone who is having a psychological disorder. Then conclude that it is ‘super unrealistic’. Bruh.

One of the most laughable argument I have seen in 2021.

Open your world wider. Introvert is not a disorder. And Komi situation is not unrealistic (with the exception of some comedic exaggeration for the content). Komi’s case is a psychological disorder that caused her comunication ability impairment.
Stonks
Dec 4, 2021 6:26 AM
Mar 2021
Introversion isn't even a communication disorder in the first place....

An introvert can be a very socially capable person too and an extrovert can be a person with communication disorders like social anxiety. I'd say komi is an extrovert since she seeks social interactions as much as possible.
Dec 4, 2021 7:43 AM
Oct 2020
kinda unrealistic but super cute.
Dec 4, 2021 8:30 AM

May 2018
After all it's fiction so people anticipate and want unrealistic characters doing unrealistic things in unrealistic circumstances. It's based on one's liking.
Definitely people rely too much on waifus. (perfect/Mary Sue are easy to write).
Watamote is disliked and Komi praised. Komi is like dream come true for them.
Dec 4, 2021 8:38 AM
Mar 2021
It's really unrealistic and it's not trying to be realistic. It's fun light hearted look on social anxiety. This isn't a show to think too hard about.
Dec 4, 2021 8:41 AM
Mar 2021
Isaac_02 said:
Pretty privilege is very real.
Dec 4, 2021 9:15 AM
Feb 2021
It’s anime my guy did you expect it to be realistic?
Dec 4, 2021 12:26 PM
May 2021
well shes beautiful and a girl people's behaviour change according to gender as well. but tbh u have a point tho. But again its an anime and its just a sweet comedy one u cant compare something this un serious to something serious
Dec 4, 2021 1:39 PM
Dec 2020
Yes, because it's a fictional piece of art
Read my name and think I care.
Dec 4, 2021 2:13 PM

Jul 2019
Komi-san isn't realistic. You legit have people named and behave as their tropes lol.

As people have stated, don't take the show too seriously, because that wouldn't make sense.
Dec 4, 2021 5:48 PM
Oct 2019
Scordolo said:

your comment is basically:"i dont relate to this so is unreal." lol
Dec 4, 2021 6:08 PM
May 2019
It kinda seems unrealistic, but I don't have that communication disorder. I mean, most of us do have some sort of communication disorder to some degree. Like, take for example that IRL vs how I write online is like night and day. Most people wouldn't peg me as a person they could talk about quasars, rather they don't even think I could comprehend how to push a button to apply a coupon because I don't talk through the steps (I work as a cashier). So I can express my ideas better in written form vs spoken.

Now am I like komi: nope
but I do not think the author is going for a 1 to 1 ratio in depicting reality within a typical Japanese high school setting. But, rather, the author is applying a bit of reality into a fantasy realm.
Saucy1642Jan 5, 2022 10:08 PM
Dec 4, 2021 6:11 PM
Oct 2019
kfsilver89 said:
Scordolo said:

do people hate Watamote for being unrealistic? I’ve never met anyone that said Watamote is unrealistic. The problem with Watamote is because it’s realistic, and honestly most people that watch anime wants an unrealistic element to the story. Which is why Komi is so popular and why I find Komi kind of insulting. I’m someone that doesn’t get offended. But this story is the most offensive anime.
why it is offensive?
Dec 4, 2021 6:14 PM
Oct 2019
Thigh_Tide said:
Thigh_Tide said:
is this a bait?

Your message must contain 15 characters except BBCode tags and quotes.
Dec 5, 2021 1:13 AM

Feb 2019
LENDARIO_DS said:
Thigh_Tide said:
Thigh_Tide said:
is this a bait?

Your message must contain 15 characters except BBCode tags and quotes.

If it isn't clear, no, it's not, it's entirely sincere. What leads you to think it's inaccurate?
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Dec 5, 2021 1:26 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Yes people, of course it's unrealistic. There's a freaking ninja sitting at the back of the classroom. Now maybe actually read what was said before commenting your obligatory post

Maybe "realistic" is being confused by "reasonable". You're offered either a $1 bill or a $100 bill, no strings attached, no catches, nothing. You must simply choose the better offer. In this universe at least, a reasonable person will take the $100. To take the $1 bill would make no sense.

Now let's go back to komi-san. Komi-san is an extreme introvert. A reasonable (and nice) person may of course try to befriend her, and that's all good. The problem is they're not just trying to be friends with her, they're freaking OBSESSED with her to the point where they would probably literally kill to be with her. When was the last time you saw a loner sitting in the corner of the room and you were like "OMG I LOVE THEM!!!!" It just... doesn't make sense. Or maybe komi-san is just really really good-looking I guess.

Anyway, just remembered that kanojo mo kanojo is one of my favorite anime of the year. Now everything I just said is invalid. Dangit

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 5, 2021 3:02 AM

Mar 2020
I know it might sounds unreal but I swear it's true, I once had a friend in elementary school (precisely in 3rd grade) that has an extreme social anxiety. She was a transfer student who just enrolled in my school and she has similar traits to Komi. For real she didn't speak to anyone in my class (she was my classmate btw) for an entire year, doesn't have any friend, and we didn't even know her voice in like a year in that class. She would always cry when insisted to speak by other teachers, as far as I know, she did only speak to one of our teacher with a very very low voice that we can't even overheard it. And yes, in 4th grade she moved to another school.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2021

114 by drizzle-midnight »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2021

219 by LIAV001 »»
Apr 21, 1:10 AM

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2021

127 by Woah_Originality »»
Feb 20, 9:38 PM

» Why are all characters so shallow? ( 1 2 )

Argonnant - Nov 3, 2021

51 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 16, 2:59 PM

» Not very comedic… ( 1 2 )

sailorday- - Mar 1, 2022

87 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 16, 2:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.