Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Nov 7, 2021 8:29 AM

Apr 2020
Oh yeah forgot to tackle about Shin. Well he made some great impressions in this episode, he realizes most of the things that are going on. When he was going insane in the last battle, he was actually thinking of Nina and what he did to her dead brother. I can understand Nina's anger on Shin, but I mean her brother is pretty much dead at that point, maybe dead on arrival once he reaches the hospital.

That scene where the dead pushes him to fight while their metal codes fall to the floor is powerful, Shin knows the only thing he can really do is fight FIGHT and FIGHT, even with all those people saying pitiful things to him. The episode is just as strong as the last one, but we all know that the next battle will be much MUCH MORE stronger, I can't wait.
Nov 7, 2021 8:36 AM

Sep 2017
Well the Republic is destroyed but we barely got to see any of it. This episode mostly focused on Shin's mental health and war planning for taking out that big ass cannon. It's all good stuff but I feel we deserved to see more of how the Republic fell. Especially with all the arrogant military and bureaucratic pricks freaking out over their city being destroyed. Not to mention how all the brainwashed citizens would react.
Nov 7, 2021 9:18 AM

Sep 2018
UTMAN said:
borderliner said:

You have to wonder where Nina was getting all the info for her to come up with this disturbing imagery

Probably Marcel told her all kinds of crazy stories, being a Reaper and such.

Yep, that's what I was thinking, and just how fucked up is that?

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Nov 7, 2021 9:36 AM

Sep 2018
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
Wtf?! Please tell me that's not it?! I was waiting for the fall of the republic since season 1 and they gave us like 3 minute total screen-time of it happening/ending? I hope we'll get more in the future (from Lena's perspective perhaps), otherwise mega disappointed.

When the infamous railgun turned out to be a Gustav Gun, I had the same expression as the avatar of the user above me.

You never mentioned that being so important to you that I recall.

The anime showed us all we need to know, what else did you really expect?

To me the apparent fall of San Magnolia is inconsequential except that, no longer having a homeland to defend, Lena is now free to pursue the other most important thing in her life ;-)

You do get that in this show deliberate parallels are being drawn to real life conflicts and machinery don't you?

borderlinerNov 7, 2021 9:49 AM
Nov 7, 2021 9:58 AM
Nov 2017
The republic fell, after everything they did it was going to happen, you can see the different way the republic treats the war and that of other countries like the federation and the other two, lena is just fighting that the only thing she can do, even if she have a lot of losses, in the credits the republic was decimated

The rest of the episode was about the shin, and his mental health, he and the other eighty six being sent on a practically suicidal mission, no surprise, unlike the republic they have the option to deny participating in it, that doesn't stop them from going to fight

About nina, she is a child and it makes sense for her to act that way because of her brother's death, she is very different from frederica who knows what is happening within the army because she is a mascot and knows the shin better than nina

I mean, if shin hadn't killed him there, he would have died on the way to be healed and because of the wounds he already had, in her head it was the shin that killed her brother and he would have had any chance of surviving if shin didn't shot at him
Nov 7, 2021 10:16 AM

Oct 2012
Another great build-up for the upcoming Morpho battle. Can't wait for the next episode
Nov 7, 2021 10:45 AM

Nov 2013
@borderliner

Are you stalking me or something?

Well that's your opinion bruh. I was not satisfied at all. To me, it was similar to the abysmal slideshow ending of Promised Neverland season 2 final episode. I expected the fall to be the "main show", not after-credit "side show".

To me the apparent fall of San Magnolia is inconsequential except that, no longer having a homeland to defend, Lena is now free to pursue the other most important thing in her life ;-)
Yeah, hooray for Lena...
Anyways, you don't have to agree with my pov. I find in underwhelming how the nation we spent the entire first season in, is likely destroyed completely, but we only saw a glimpse of how it fell. Makes you feel like it fell in a day or something. It's even more underwhelming when you know that Lena's safe thanks to plot armor, thus she somehow made it out alive. I couldn't even feel satisfaction seeing the destruction. A well written and well directed show would evoke some emotion from seemingly horrible scene at the end, or make you worry for Lena. I felt nothing!

You do get that in this show deliberate parallels are being drawn to real life conflicts and machinery don't you?
Doesn't mean it has to be a boring copy of it though. Where's imagination? Lowe certainly looks original! Other mechs look cool too so why "slack off" here? When I hear a word "railgun", I expect a complex, high-tech energy weapon of sorts (just google railgun to see examples), not a rip-off of ww2 railroad gun that fires huge shells and needs a barrel-change after several shots lol! Once again, I found it underwhelming and hilarious how in a mech-world a ww2 railroad gun is considered a wunderwaffe capable of threatening nations! Imagine that instead of Gustav gun, Legion used a huge-ass trebuchet that hauls enormous rocks. To me, it was THAT underwhelming...

P.S To avoid salt, I must state that this is my opinion. You can love the show all you want.
Nov 7, 2021 10:58 AM
May 2008
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
@borderliner

Well that's your opinion bruh. I was not satisfied at all. To me, it was similar to the abysmal slideshow ending of Promised Neverland season 2 final episode. I expected the fall to be the "main show", not after-credit "side show".

Yeah, hooray for Lena...
Anyways, you don't have to agree with my pov. I find in underwhelming how the nation we spent the entire first season in, is likely destroyed completely, but we only saw a glimpse of how it fell. Makes you feel like it fell in a day or something. It's even more underwhelming when you know that Lena's safe thanks to plot armor, thus she somehow made it out alive. I couldn't even feel satisfaction seeing the destruction. A well written and well directed show would evoke some emotion from seemingly horrible scene at the end, or make you worry for Lena. I felt nothing!

Doesn't mean it has to be a boring copy of it though. Where's imagination? Lowe certainly looks original! Other mechs look cool too so why "slack off" here? When I hear a word "railgun", I expect a complex, high-tech energy weapon of sorts (just google railgun to see examples), not a rip-off of ww2 railroad gun that fires huge shells and needs a barrel-change after several shots lol! Once again, I found it underwhelming and hilarious how in a mech-world a ww2 railroad gun is considered a wunderwaffe capable of threatening nations! Imagine that instead of Gustav gun, Legion used a huge-ass trebuchet that hauls enormous rocks. To me, it was THAT underwhelming...

P.S To avoid salt, I must state that this is my opinion. You can love the show all you want.

Just for the Railgun, it's going to be a high-tech energy weapon.
It will look like this if you don't mind some minor spoilers:

But FYI even the Lowe was inspired by a IRL tank design. There was a post about it in MAL:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1970413
Nov 7, 2021 11:29 AM

Nov 2013
@UTMAN

Hmm... looks nothing like what was shown in the anime so far, but that version looks cooler no doubt.

But FYI even the Lowe was inspired by a IRL tank design. There was a post about it in MAL:

Yeah, I've seen it but, be honest, Lowe in the anime has very little similarities with real-world counterpart. Meanwhile, Morpho, both in the anime and in the thread you mentioned looks pretty identical with the Gustav gun. The picture of Morpho you provided however seems totally different to ww2 counterpart. Weird why anime would use a different picture...
Nov 7, 2021 11:38 AM
May 2008
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
@UTMAN

Hmm... looks nothing like what was shown in the anime so far, but that version looks cooler no doubt.

Yeah, I've seen it but, be honest, Lowe in the anime has very little similarities with real-world counterpart. Meanwhile, Morpho, both in the anime and in the thread you mentioned looks pretty identical with the Gustav gun. The picture of Morpho you provided however seems totally different to ww2 counterpart. Weird why anime would use a different picture...

Yep, also we kinda saw it already in last episode:

If you compare the middle part to the image I showed you can see that it's the same design.

Probably what the Federacy gave us is a rough sketch that came from their analysis, since nobody knows how it looks like.
Nov 7, 2021 12:26 PM
Nov 2020
Shin hearing Lena's voice in the Legion army is heartbreaking.. I wish they could have met
Nov 7, 2021 12:38 PM

Aug 2021
I won't forget!

Did Lena really contact Shinei in the last attack? Or did Shinei just hear her voice from his imagination? What do you think?

Nov 7, 2021 1:01 PM

Sep 2018
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
@borderliner

Yeah, hooray for Lena...

Well, did you ever mention that?

And you still haven't explained why it deserved more coverage than it got.
What do you think was missing that makes you say it was badly written and directed?
And how many days did you think San Magnolia took to fall?

I think you're getting over-excited about what a railgun might look like, It really isn't at all sexy.
And if you'd done more than the most basic research you'd know that these things trash themselves really easily and a train based system would make a lot of sense.

Nov 7, 2021 1:13 PM
Mar 2021
HueBrgle said:
Great episode but I have a couple questions.

1. When the 86 are all eating, and Theo brings up Lena, why does Theo say "Don't tell me he doesn't realize it..." to Shinei at the end? I get that her and her country are basically done for, but it seems they're implying something more

2. Wtf was that picture Nina drew? I get that she's pissed at Shinei (for the obvious reason), but I genuinely can't tell what the drawing is lol

I don't know what the deal was with the picture, but about the lunch scene, I feel like it was fairly obvious they know Shin has strong feelings about Lena, but doesn't realize how much she means to him. Kurena has always resented Lena because she knew before anyone else, because having a huge crush on Shin, she pays a lot of attention to him, and couldn't help noticing the way he opened up to Lena. By the time they left on the suicide recon mission, I think all four of them were aware there was something between Shin and Lena.

I don't expect anything direct to come of it for a long time, because at this point it's difficult to see under what circumstances the two would finally meet face to face. But it's pretty obvious how much her words influenced him, and keep him from complete despair.
Nov 7, 2021 1:33 PM
Feb 2018
Violet42 said:
HueBrgle said:
Great episode but I have a couple questions.

1. When the 86 are all eating, and Theo brings up Lena, why does Theo say "Don't tell me he doesn't realize it..." to Shinei at the end? I get that her and her country are basically done for, but it seems they're implying something more

2. Wtf was that picture Nina drew? I get that she's pissed at Shinei (for the obvious reason), but I genuinely can't tell what the drawing is lol

I don't know what the deal was with the picture, but about the lunch scene, I feel like it was fairly obvious they know Shin has strong feelings about Lena, but doesn't realize how much she means to him. Kurena has always resented Lena because she knew before anyone else, because having a huge crush on Shin, she pays a lot of attention to him, and couldn't help noticing the way he opened up to Lena. By the time they left on the suicide recon mission, I think all four of them were aware there was something between Shin and Lena.

I don't expect anything direct to come of it for a long time, because at this point it's difficult to see under what circumstances the two would finally meet face to face. But it's pretty obvious how much her words influenced him, and keep him from complete despair.

So this is basically how I interpreted it as well. My issue is more with the fact that I don’t really think they built up to it all that well. I think the time Lena spent with the 86 (by time I mean runtime of the show, not time in universe) didn’t feel like long enough to make the connection between her and Shin believable. In season 1, sure, Shin seems to open up to her a bit more then most people, but by the end it always seemed like Lena cared about them far more then they cared about her (which would make sense). The fact that Shin doesn’t even realize how important she is to him (while everyone else does) is just the usual anime crap that I’m not a fan of. It all feels “sudden”. It’s the same way I fee about the sudden all out attack by the Legion, and that suddenly there’s a massive city destroying cannon. So much of 86 just feels abrupt and it’s a little jarring.

I know this got sidetracked so I apologize to whoever reads this. Despite everything I said, think this season of 86 is genuinely great (9/10 so far tbh). I love most of the ideas and character development in the story, but I think the execution falls a little short.
Nov 7, 2021 1:56 PM

Nov 2013
@borderliner

Why does it flipping matter to you if I mentioned it earlier somewhere or not?!!!!

I did. I said we spent an entire season in Republic, hence it deserves more than 3 minutes (approximately) of screen-time to showcase its downfall. Why? Because it's not some random nation you've never heard about and don't care about!

What do you think was missing that makes you say it was badly written and directed?
Didn't you read what I wrote? There is no emotional attachment to the events and characters, no thrill, no dread, no suspense! We are just shown that the republic was overrun, nearly everyone died, and it should be obvious to everyone that Lena made it out alive. So what's the purpose of those 3 minutes? "Shit just happened, republic's gone, the end." That's how the event was presented. In my book, that's not the quality writing/direction. you DON'T have to agree with this.

Jesus... why are you making me repeat myself. To me it felt like 1 day.. I've said that! The anime didn't tell us the exact time as far as I remember. My point was that the anime didn't even bother explaining how Legion succeeded. I know republic was incompetent mess, but this is no excuse for such cheap presentation. We saw night battle in the city and at the dawn everyone was already dead - the end. That gets "Booo" from me. You may see no problem with them not showing much, that's your choice. Don't turn this into a comparison of tastes please...

I think you're getting over-excited about what a railgun might look like, It really isn't at all sexy.
What are you talking about???

And if you'd done more than the most basic research you'd know that these things trash themselves really easily and a train based system would make a lot of sense.
I did say the barrel has to be changed so I know these things trash themselves easily. Once again, I have to repeat myself!!! And, I didn't say anything about train based system making/not-making sense, what are you talking about?!
Sigmar-UnberogenNov 7, 2021 2:28 PM
Nov 7, 2021 2:23 PM

Oct 2015
HueBrgle said:
Violet42 said:

So this is basically how I interpreted it as well. My issue is more with the fact that I don’t really think they built up to it all that well. I think the time Lena spent with the 86 (by time I mean runtime of the show, not time in universe) didn’t feel like long enough to make the connection between her and Shin believable. In season 1, sure, Shin seems to open up to her a bit more then most people, but by the end it always seemed like Lena cared about them far more then they cared about her (which would make sense). The fact that Shin doesn’t even realize how important she is to him (while everyone else does) is just the usual anime crap that I’m not a fan of. It all feels “sudden”. It’s the same way I fee about the sudden all out attack by the Legion, and that suddenly there’s a massive city destroying cannon. So much of 86 just feels abrupt and it’s a little jarring.

I know this got sidetracked so I apologize to whoever reads this. Despite everything I said, think this season of 86 is genuinely great (9/10 so far tbh). I love most of the ideas and character development in the story, but I think the execution falls a little short.

I understand how you feel. But what I think about what Shin feels towards Lena, isn't so much that he cares about her, but more like he sees her as someone who finally will remember him, someone who will live longer than him. All this time, Shin was always the one who were left behind by his squadmates, carrying the burden to remember them. In Lena, he thinks there's finally someone who will not go before him, someone who will survive longer than him. But as cruel as it is, the republic fell, and he was saved by the federacy. When he thought that she will outlive him, in reality it's the other way around. That's why he felt conflicted and saddened when he knew the republic fell. In the end, I was all the same, she went ahead of him, and he's still left behind as the survivor. At least that's what I got from his character at this time, and I think it's not that jarring.

And regarding the large scale offensive, in the previous season Shin already said that the Legion was already preparing for a big invasion, and that they were preserving their strength. And I think it was already ongoing when the first part started. It also one of the reason why the Republic still think that the Legion will stop in 2 years because their numbers seems decreasing. For the Morpho, it's existence was already hinted in part 1 episode 7 and then also in episode 11 (with some introduction to Kiriya as well). Granted, the destruction seems far less than what happened to Giad's FOB and Grand Mur, but I just think what happened in part 1 was the Legion just testing it, and the real deal was in part 2. So it's appearance here, for me, feels more like confirmation rather than introduction.

I hope this info can at least made it a little less jarring for you, as someone who also enjoys this show.
Udin554Nov 7, 2021 2:35 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 7, 2021 2:36 PM
Feb 2018
Udin554 said:
HueBrgle said:

I understand how you feel. But what I think about what Shin feels towards Lena, isn't so much that he cares about her, but more like he sees her as someone who finally will remember him, someone who will live longer than him. All this time, Shin was always the one who were left behind by his squadmates, carrying the burden to remember them. In Lena, he thinks there's finally someone who will not go before him, someone who will survive longer than him. But as cruel as it is, the republic fell, and he was saved by the federacy. When he thought that she will outlive him, in reality it's the other way around. That's why he felt conflicted and saddened when he knew the republic fell. At least that's what I got from his character at this time, and I think it's not that jarring.

And regarding the large scale offensive, in the previous season Shin already said that the Legion was already preparing for a big invasion, and that they were preserving their strength. And I think it was started way longer than when the first part started. It also one of the reason why the Republic still think that the Legion will stop in 2 years because their numbers seems decreasing. For the Morpho, it's existence was already hinted in part 1 episode 7 and then also in episode 11 (with some introduction to Kiriya as well), so it's appearance here, for me, feels more like confirmation rather than introduction.

I hope this info can at least made it a little less jarring for you, as someone who also enjoys this show.

Well I guess I have to go back and skim through s1, but I'm sure you're right (about the large scale attack especially. does sound vaguely familiar).

Your explanation about Shin and Lena makes a lot more sense then I think a lot of people are inferring. It sounds like many are thinking it's something that's not-quite-love but not too far off either, which seems absurd at this point in the story. Not saying it can't happen in the future, but right now love seems a bit much.

Thanks for the explanations!
Nov 7, 2021 3:32 PM

Sep 2018
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
@borderliner

Why does it flipping matter to you if I mentioned it earlier somewhere or not?!!!!

I did. I said we spent an entire season in Republic, hence it deserves more than 3 minutes (approximately) of screen-time to showcase its downfall. Why? Because it's not some random nation you've never heard about and don't care about!

Didn't you read what I wrote? There is no emotional attachment to the events and characters, no thrill, no dread, no suspense! We are just shown that the republic was overrun, nearly everyone died, and it should be obvious to everyone that Lena made it out alive. So what's the purpose of those 3 minutes? "Shit just happened, republic's gone, the end." That's how the event was presented. In my book, that's not the quality writing/direction. you DON'T have to agree with this.

Jesus... why are you making me repeat myself. To me it felt like 1 day.. I've said that! The anime didn't tell us the exact time as far as I remember. My point was that the anime didn't even bother explaining how Legion succeeded. I know republic was incompetent mess, but this is no excuse for such cheap presentation. We saw night battle in the city and at the dawn everyone was already dead - the end. That gets "Booo" from me. You may see no problem with them not showing much, that's your choice. Don't turn this into a comparison of tastes please...

What are you talking about???

I did say the barrel has to be changed so I know these things trash themselves easily. Once again, I have to repeat myself!!! And, I didn't say anything about train based system making/not-making sense, what are you talking about?!

You seem to be confusing opinion with evidence.

And I'm losing track of what you care about, it actually sounds like you care about San Magnolia (as in the 85 districts) but if you already cared why are you complaining the show didn't make you care.

So you do think it fell overnight, which means your previous complaints are meaningless, the initial onslaught turned into a rout, those few minutes showed that perfectly well, but now you're saying those three minutes were too much!? And the reason you give is that you have no "emotional attachment" (You actually say "there is no emotional attachment" but of course you'll be happy to retract that since it's only your opinion) how would more scenes of fighting up your emotional attachment exactly!?

In what way are you unable to understand how the Legion succeeded, they breached the Gran Mur and entered the 85 districts with overwhelming force, Lena's been remarking on it, the Federacy's intelligence highlighted it, and Shin confirmed that their numbers were still way too low and the actual numbers were even greater than he dared count.

I can make no sense of you position on the railgun, you said this "I expect a complex, high-tech energy weapon of sorts ... not a rip-off of ww2 railroad gun that fires huge shells and needs a barrel-change after several shots lol!" So you didn't want it to run on rails and you didn't think a barrel-change made sense. But now you're saying rails work fine and refurb after a few shots does make sense. So if your okay with all that, what is it about the Morpho that's got you all worked up?

Nov 7, 2021 3:38 PM

Oct 2014
''Because you're Eighty-Six!''

I was waiting for Major to contact the Federacy and at the end I was like ''so I'll have to wait next week for that.'' Then it says, visual episode. -_-

Well, at least World Trigger will probably complete the round next week.
Nov 7, 2021 3:44 PM

Oct 2014
Oh, by the way, if anyone out there misunderstanding the term railgun.

It's not a railgun because it moves on rails, it's a railgun because it propels the bullet via an electromagnetic rail system.

Nov 7, 2021 3:55 PM

Nov 2013
@borderliner

If my simple English doesn't make sense to you, learn to read before engaging with others in a debate.

I'm not going to bother spoonfeeding you same explanations for the third time.
Nov 7, 2021 3:58 PM

Jul 2021
An ok episode, nothing unusual and nothing surprising, but necessary for the story.
asdasdsadad
Nov 7, 2021 4:14 PM

Oct 2014
yLewahoy said:
An ok episode, nothing unusual and nothing surprising, but necessary for the story.

It's a light novel adaptation so no surprises there. They ended season 1 in a cliffhanger but in the LN it was just middle of the chapter.
Nov 7, 2021 4:29 PM
Nov 2020
MadanielFL said:
Well that was a great episode, the narrative and direction as top tier as always.
That scene where Shin hears Lena's voice was so good, its like they were able to connect, even though neither of them knows if either one of them is alive.

And it looks like next week's episode is gonna be a recap...
I hope the great production continues so its fine.

Really was a great scene, more impressive because it was a completely abstract internal setting which come off extremely corny most of the time. It was also in a very different style from, while still playing off of, all the great abstract scenes showcasing Shin's slip into madness from Frederica's perspective in the previous episode. In that episode there was a physical dimension of combat to keep the tension high - but here it was entirely phsychological. A-1 flexin' that range lol.

Also completely agree that at the rate they are going, if we have to give up a week in exchange for more of the same quality production I am happy to do it in this case.
Nov 7, 2021 5:33 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Have to highlight this shot, got goosebumps from that

Nov 7, 2021 6:43 PM
Oct 2018
I would like to give mention to something that has not been talked about at all from what I can tell: Enju’s “Kurena ja!” while they were eating and the topic of Lena came up is probably the most fun execution of a voice line I’ve ever heard, and that’s saying a hell of a lot. As expected of Saori Hayami; such a treasure.
Nov 7, 2021 7:21 PM

Oct 2016
I really dont like how shin's group thinking.
They always saying "we are 86". Its already seeing as excuse to me. You have chance to changed, and yet they always use the same excuse. Its so pathetic.

I think that loli being manipulated by marcel.

And the after credits, its seems like the nation being destroyed completely. I feel great...
YES
Nov 7, 2021 7:23 PM

Oct 2011
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
@borderliner

Yeah, hooray for Lena...

I don't understand how it did not occur to you that the picture they used for the Morpho is just a sketch and not the real thing... Wasn't it clear from the characters' discussion that they don't know what it looks like yet? Do you hate the anime to the point that you're jumping into whatever detail you can nitpick? That's not a wise thing to do as seen from your exaggerated reaction about what the Morpho supposedly looks like.

And I do agree it would be great if they animated the battle at San Magnolia too, but this was actually barely described in the light novel. The volumes they are adapting right now should all be in Shin's perspective in the first place. So if they do want to make an anime-original of Lena's battle, it means they have to cut out other content and chapters. Compromising the rest of the episodes and its pace does not make it any more "well directed" than you want it to be.

Yet the fact that they can still include these anime-original content while making sure the rest of the story is properly paced is exactly indicative of what good direction is. Seems to me you're just frustrated you didn't get more mindless action scenes.
w3b0shiNov 7, 2021 7:38 PM
Nope.
Nov 7, 2021 7:46 PM

Oct 2011
Saomii said:
They always saying "we are 86". Its already seeing as excuse to me. You have chance to changed, and yet they always use the same excuse. Its so pathetic.

That's kinda the point of it. In the first season it can be regarded as honorable but the story in later volumes will heavily criticize them for this mentality and thinking.
Nope.
Nov 7, 2021 8:20 PM

Oct 2016
w3b0shi said:
Saomii said:

That's kinda the point of it. In the first season it can be regarded as honorable but the story in later volumes will heavily criticize them for this mentality and thinking.

Yeahh, i do believe they will changed because they still kids. But since i do not follow the ln, im just unsure. Because the part of my brain think they will die without understand that.
Glad to hear that they will do something about their mental later on.
Thanks to reply.
YES
Nov 7, 2021 8:56 PM
Jul 2014
sound effects and editing were a bit below the show's usual standard, glad they're taking a week off with the commentary episode to get things on track. The second half of the episode was quite well done though, i wonder why the quality was such a roller-coaster on the sound/editing side for the first half
Nov 8, 2021 1:31 AM

Nov 2013
@w3b0shi

I don't understand how it did not occur to you that the picture they used for the Morpho is just a sketch and not the real thing... Wasn't it clear from the characters' discussion that they don't know what it looks like yet?
It didn't occur to me that in actuality Morpho may be of a different design. No need to be a clown about it. If next episodes prove me wrong, I don't mind. Don't play dumb and pretend like nitpicking can be the only reason.

And I do agree it would be great if they animated the battle at San Magnolia too,

Seems to me you're just frustrated you didn't get more mindless action scenes.

So, which one is it? Make up your mind!
Nov 8, 2021 3:03 AM

Sep 2018
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
@borderliner

If my simple English doesn't make sense to you, learn to read before engaging with others in a debate.

I'm not going to bother spoonfeeding you same explanations for the third time.

You haven't explained anything.

All you've done is demonstrate your lack of understanding.

Let's look at this statement

I said we spent an entire season in Republic, hence it deserves more than 3 minutes (approximately) of screen-time to showcase its downfall.
Why? Because it's not some random nation you've never heard about and don't care about!

What do you know about San Magnolia, list the places that have been shown, tell us all the things you know about this country.
If you do you'll realise how little time the show has dedicated to the Republic, and especially how little to the daily lives of its citizens.

If you do give some serious thought to what the anime actually showed in the first cour you'll understand each of the scenes shown during and after the battle.

Perhaps then you'll see how great the writing and especially the direction has been.

Just my opinion.

Nov 8, 2021 3:35 AM

Nov 2013
@borderliner

What do you know about San Magnolia, list the places that have been shown, tell us all the things you know about this country.
If you do you'll realise how little time the show has dedicated to the Republic, and especially how little to the daily lives of its citizens.

If you do give some serious thought to what the anime actually showed in the first cour you'll understand each of the scenes shown during and after the battle.

Perhaps then you'll see how great the writing and especially the direction has been.

Just my opinion.

It's your opinion and I can respect that. But at the end of the day we should agree that each of us understands "great writing" differently.

I wanted to see how many legion attacked, how the 86 vanguard was broken, how the legion crossed the minefield and breached the walls, how long it took them to win and so on. Arguably one may say that it's just unnecessary "mindless action", but I disagree.

Once again, if you're satisfied with what was shown, you're free to like it and consider it good, 10/10 writing. I wasn't satisfied and don't consider it good writing/directing since it felt cheap, rushed and even anticlimactic the way it was handled.

Just my opinion. By writing this, I'm not "shitposting" or implying people should share my pov and dislike the show or something...
Nov 8, 2021 3:39 AM

Sep 2018
maxoverload91 said:
sound effects and editing were a bit below the show's usual standard, glad they're taking a week off with the commentary episode to get things on track. The second half of the episode was quite well done though, i wonder why the quality was such a roller-coaster on the sound/editing side for the first half

Could be a sign of the production pressures, I can't say I noticed, do you have a timestamp and description of where the quality dropped?

Nov 8, 2021 3:43 AM
May 2008
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
@borderliner

Just my opinion.

It's your opinion and I can respect that. But at the end of the day we should agree that each of us understands "great writing" differently.

I wanted to see how many legion attacked, how the 86 vanguard was broken, how the legion crossed the minefield and breached the walls, how long it took them to win and so on. Arguably one may say that it's just unnecessary "mindless action", but I disagree.

Once again, if you're satisfied with what was shown, you're free to like it and consider it good, 10/10 writing. I wasn't satisfied and don't consider it good writing/directing since it felt cheap, rushed and even anticlimactic the way it was handled.

Just my opinion. By writing this, I'm not "shitposting" or implying people should share my pov and dislike the show or something...

The reason why it was shown like this, because we are seeing the story from Shin PoV, and one of his main struggles is whether Lena is alive or dead. Seeing how Lena does whether she survives or not would hurt this plot point in the eyes of the viewers in a way in my opinion. But I get why you would love to see how the Republic falls in a more detailed way. Cheers
Nov 8, 2021 3:58 AM

Nov 2013
@UTMAN

The reason why it was shown like this, because we are seeing the story from Shin PoV, and one of his main struggles is whether Lena is alive or dead. Seeing how Lena does whether she survives or not would hurt this plot point in the eyes of the viewers in a way in my opinion. But I get why you would love to see how the Republic falls in a more detailed way. Cheers

That's precisely why I wrote, quote: "I hope we'll get more in the future (from Lena's perspective perhaps), otherwise mega disappointed."

Considering how Lena has been hyped for so long, and she's the most favorited character of the series, I think it's easy to assume that 99% of viewers already know Lena survives, thus the final scene with Lena loses all the intended "did she die?" suspense; making the whole battle even more anticlimactic in my opinion.

Anyways, thanks for the understanding.
Nov 8, 2021 6:07 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Alright, looks like they are not touching the Republic state again. A little bit of glimpse was enough to show how hectic the situation there. Funny how Lena was the only one to show holding control of the republic defense. But, for more detail of it, as expect lets aside it for later.

Back to Shin and the Federal situation, looks like the neighboring country, first time seeing their leader faces, still survive, and planning to embark the joint operation. More narration described all information needed post Legion attack that hit the nearby FOB, which, luckily, just scratch Shin and co. Giad analyst and intel unexpectedly very helpful at those critical moment.

The time limit is two months, looks like. At the end, even though its conflicted with Shin's feeling all over again, especially with those letter of bullshit matter, looks like the extreme mission still say hello to them without they asking. Damn, son, spearhead all over again! Last word, stay sane. No matter how insane the situation goin on, they won't forget. Stay strong, and, listen more to the cute last empress loli....

The next two week seems like there's no further episode. That's actually good, i need a break, and finish all my other delayed series.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Nov 8, 2021 6:39 AM
Jun 2019
This means (when Shin hears she 'talked' and said sayonara) The pig princess died right?? 😭😭😭
Am I the only one whose sad for this 😭
Nov 8, 2021 6:43 AM
Feb 2019
Achtzehn said:
This means (when Shin hears she 'talked' and said sayonara) The pig princess died right?? 😭😭😭
Dude, remember how they end pt 1, they might pulled like that one again
Nov 8, 2021 9:00 AM

Sep 2018
UserAnonymous117 said:
Achtzehn said:
Dude, remember how they end pt 1, they might pulled like that one again

No serious viewer thinks Lena is dead, showing us the fall of San Magnolia isn't about Lena possibly dying it's about the culmination of a nation's hubris and the honor of the 86 in fighting to the bitter end as the Alba flee in disarray.

But for Shin, we should understand that to him the possibility of Lena's death is all too real.

Nov 8, 2021 9:27 AM

Oct 2011
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
@w3b0shi

I don't understand how it did not occur to you that the picture they used for the Morpho is just a sketch and not the real thing... Wasn't it clear from the characters' discussion that they don't know what it looks like yet?
It didn't occur to me that in actuality Morpho may be of a different design. No need to be a clown about it. If next episodes prove me wrong, I don't mind. Don't play dumb and pretend like nitpicking can be the only reason.

Disregarding other reasons and possibilities that are apparent in the episode to prove your point that the story isn't being "creative" sounds exactly like nitpicking. If you want me to say that that's being nearsighted or you weren't paying attention to the anime because it "didn't occur to you" then that doesn't make my criticism of your opinion any better.

And I do agree it would be great if they animated the battle at San Magnolia too,

Seems to me you're just frustrated you didn't get more mindless action scenes.

So, which one is it? Make up your mind!

It doesn't have to be both for myself, which is why I mentioned it's you who are frustrated. I can agree more action scenes isn't a bad thing, but I'm not going to cry about it like you do if it didn't happen because I'm well aware there's a good and justifiable reason why that isn't possible. I'm not saying you're not entitled to your opinions... but at least try not to rely solely on kneejerk reactions and actually try to understand why certains thing happen.
w3b0shiNov 8, 2021 9:35 AM
Nope.
Nov 8, 2021 2:38 PM

Nov 2013
@w3b0shi

Disregarding other reasons and possibilities that are apparent in the episode to prove your point that the story isn't being "creative" sounds exactly like nitpicking.

I'm disregarding those other reasons until proven wrong. What makes you think that a "rough sketch" can't be identical to the original gun. You can't know until it's shown. This is episode 6 discussion. I judge what I see - and in episode 6, the railgun doesn't seem at all creative. There's no need to be aggrieved with my "criticism", especially if the future episodes will prove my assumptions wrong anyways, no?

It doesn't have to be both for myself, which is why I mentioned it's you who are frustrated. I can agree more action scenes isn't a bad thing, but I'm not going to cry about it like you do if it didn't happen because I'm well aware there's a good and justifiable reason why that isn't possible.
It's a justifiable reason for you, not for me! Do you need a medal for not "crying" about it or something?
I'm not saying you're not entitled to your opinions... but
But, but, but... So many people like clowning around on Mal! This is basically saying "you can be entitled to your opinion, but actually NOT!"
How many times should I repeat that for me, and me personally things were disappointing; and for me personally the battle scene was an example of poor, lazy direction and writing. I'm not talking for all the viewers in the universe! I'm not pretending like my PoV has to matter and don't actually make threads to showcase my "superior taste", am I?
It doesn't matter if story-wise things made sense to YOU, and "there were good and justifiable reasons" for YOU to be satisfied.
The presentation was weak, and I expected more. That's MY opinion, you stay entitled to yours; no BUTS!
Sigmar-UnberogenNov 8, 2021 3:08 PM
Nov 8, 2021 3:45 PM

Oct 2011
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
@w3b0shi

Disregarding other reasons and possibilities that are apparent in the episode to prove your point that the story isn't being "creative" sounds exactly like nitpicking.

I'm disregarding those other reasons until proven wrong. What makes you think that a "rough sketch" can't be identical to the original gun. You can't know until it's shown. This is episode 6 discussion. I judge what I see - and in episode 6, the railgun doesn't seem at all creative. There's no need to be aggrieved with my "criticism", especially if the future episodes will prove my assumptions wrong anyways, no?

You can't know until it's shown, yet you decide after the fact that the Morpho is not "creative"... how can you say that it's not "creative" when you haven't seen the actual thing yourself? What's the point of crying about originality in the first place? By your logic I can say that you are an 90 year old grandpa even if I haven't see what you really look like and you can't tell me that I'm wrong.

Eitherway this discussion wouldn't be happening if you actually used your brain to determine yourself that the characters does not know what the Morpho actually looks like which should've been VERY OBVIOUS from the episode. You yourself said IT DID NOT OCCUR to you -- that's it. Stop doing mental gymnastic to justify your own lapse in attention and make yourself not sound stupid.

It doesn't have to be both for myself, which is why I mentioned it's you who are frustrated. I can agree more action scenes isn't a bad thing, but I'm not going to cry about it like you do if it didn't happen because I'm well aware there's a good and justifiable reason why that isn't possible.
It's a justifiable reason for you, not for me! Do you need a medal for not "crying" about it or something?
I'm not saying you're not entitled to your opinions... but
But, but, but... So many people like clowning around on Mal! This is basically saying "you can be entitled to your opinion, but actually NOT!"
How many times should I repeat that for me, and me personally things were disappointing; and for me personally the battle scene was an example of poor, lazy direction and writing. I'm not talking for all the viewers in the universe! I'm not pretending like my PoV has to matter and don't actually make threads to showcase my "superior taste", am I?
It doesn't matter if story-wise things made sense to YOU, and "there were good and justifiable reasons" for YOU to be satisfied.
The presentation was weak, and I expected more. That's MY opinion, you stay entitled to yours; no BUTS!

Why are you putting words in my mouth? Where did I say you can't have your own opinion? You can have all opinions you have but don't expect that whatever your opinion is is correct. If you want me to simplify it for you, if your opinion is 1+1= 5 then that's fine -- just don't expect people to take you seriously.
w3b0shiNov 8, 2021 3:52 PM
Nope.
Nov 8, 2021 3:53 PM

Nov 2013
@w3b0shi

Why are you putting words in my mouth? You can have all opinions you have but don't expect that whatever your opinion is is correct. If you want me to simply it for you, if your opinion is 1+1= 5 then that's fine -- just don't expect people to take you seriously.
Well learn a lesson and don't talk to me then. I couldn't care less how you view me so go be a clown somewhere else.
Nov 8, 2021 4:05 PM

Oct 2011
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
@w3b0shi

Why are you putting words in my mouth? You can have all opinions you have but don't expect that whatever your opinion is is correct. If you want me to simply it for you, if your opinion is 1+1= 5 then that's fine -- just don't expect people to take you seriously.
Well learn a lesson and don't talk to me then. I couldn't care less how you view me so go be a clown somewhere else.

"I haven't' seen what the real Morpho looks like but I'm going to criticize it anyways and just assume it's unoriginal and not creative!"

You couldn't care less how people view you yet you try to make roundabout excuses to prove your point? I mean at least try caring and putting in effort about whatever you try to say first. lmao Whatever bro I'm out
Nope.
Nov 8, 2021 4:13 PM

Nov 2013
w3b0shi said:
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
@w3b0shi

"I haven't' see what the real Morpho looks like but I'm going to criticize it anyways and just assume it's unoriginal and not creative!"

You couldn't care less how people sview you yet you try to make roundabout excuses to prove your point?
Okay bro whatever.
Yes i did assume that, so what??? How ironic seeing you cry at my comment. Do you often get triggered by supposedly dumb comments on the internet??? I think i explained my perfectly harmless pov well enough, but 86 fanboy in you is too hotheaded right now to give that a pass.
Why are you taking me seriously if my comment seems not serious?

Do something else with your free time pal!
Nov 8, 2021 4:24 PM

Oct 2011
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
w3b0shi said:

"I haven't' see what the real Morpho looks like but I'm going to criticize it anyways and just assume it's unoriginal and not creative!"

You couldn't care less how people sview you yet you try to make roundabout excuses to prove your point?
Okay bro whatever.
Yes i did assume that, so what??? How ironic seeing you cry at my comment. Do you often get triggered by supposedly dumb comments on the internet??? I think i explained my perfectly harmless pov well enough, but 86 fanboy in you is too hotheaded right now to give that a pass.

That's very nice of you to admit that your opinion and comments were dumb. I'm sure people don't have to be an "86 fanboy" to figure that out.

Anyways, do something else with your free time than making dumb opinion and comments, mate. I'm out LMAO
Nope.
Nov 8, 2021 4:35 PM

Nov 2013
w3b0shi said:
Sigmar-Unberogen said:

That's very nice of you to admit that your opinion and comments were dumb. I'm sure people don't have to be an "86 fanboy" to figure that out.

Anyways, do something else with your free time than making dumb opinion and comments, mate. I'm out LMAO
It's funny how you consider that as me admitting something. Re-read the comment and google "supposedly" alongside with "seems".
You stated your opinion about me and as I've said earlier I couldn't care less if you think my comments were dumb. You can be entitled to that opinion as much as you like.

Anyways, bye, I guess. Just don't let the door hit you on your way out.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2022

534 by GabrielVilela »»
May 6, 12:46 PM

» Light Novel after anime??

RadicalSanta - Oct 11, 2022

22 by Rob7 »»
Apr 30, 11:53 PM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2021

239 by Rob7 »»
Apr 30, 9:00 PM

» Does anyone else feel like this season was a lot worse than season 1 ( 1 2 )

Cudlyyy - Jul 27, 2023

88 by Rob7 »»
Apr 30, 8:49 PM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2021

213 by Rob7 »»
Apr 29, 9:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.