Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
To Your Eternity
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 28, 2021 9:30 PM

Jul 2020
I don't like how the author is playing with our feelings or he just doesn't care about his audience's feelings at all.When March died I felt really sad but then Fushi transforms into her which makes it even worse.Even though some may argue he carries on the dead's wish I feel like the author is using the character's death for Fushi's own sake and development and not to carry the dead's wish.

The Author also played with Gugu's death.In a certain episode it felt like he was literally about to die but when Rynn came he suddenly woke and I was getting frustrated and episode 11 literally confirmed(at least to me) that the author doesn't care about his audience's feelings at all.When Rynn and Gugu were finally able to get together "The Shock Factor" came in which is one of the biggest reason for the score to drop.(Not that I hate the series or anything)

The Anime made it even worse.March dies in episode 5(I think) and in the beginning of episode 6 it starts with March dying right off the bat like it doesn't even respect any of the characters.

I don't think the Author will back off now and will continue to play with our feelings.So from now on I'm not gonna get attached to any of the characters and it's better if you do to.

What are your personal issues with the series?
ScordoloJun 28, 2021 9:46 PM

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jun 28, 2021 10:09 PM

May 2019
The author likes to play with its characters as a toy rather than just actual human being, They only served one purpose in most of the story. It is to become a replica so Fushi could copy them on physical sense. All of them are one dimensional so it is easy to make their replica. Secondly what is the purpose of these knockers to begin with? If they are really impose a threat to Fushi , why wait for 4 years ? The author seems like to make us know the cast then kill them off. There is no literal sense of attachment to the characters at all if they only to be killed later on.

Jun 28, 2021 10:15 PM
Apr 2020
Scordolo said:
I don't like how the author is playing with our feelings or he just doesn't care about his audience's feelings at all.When March died I felt really sad but then Fushi transforms into her which makes it even worse.Even though some may argue he carries on the dead's wish I feel like the author is using the character's death for Fushi's own sake and development and not to carry the dead's wish.

The Author also played with Gugu's death.In a certain episode it felt like he was literally about to die but when Rynn came he suddenly woke and I was getting frustrated and episode 11 literally confirmed(at least to me) that the author doesn't care about his audience's feelings at all.When Rynn and Gugu were finally able to get together "The Shock Factor" came in which is one of the biggest reason for the score to drop.(Not that I hate the series or anything)

The Anime made it even worse.March dies in episode 5(I think) and in the beginning of episode 6 it starts with March dying right off the bat like it doesn't even respect any of the characters.

I don't think the Author will back off now and will continue to play with our feelings.So from now on I'm not gonna get attached to any of the characters and it's better if you do to.

this series is all about fushi, you shoulda know after march die everything fushi attached to theyll ended up dead, the story goes on with fushi not the other way around either you like it or not. I think the goodbye scene from each death character is enough, bc fushi has to continue his journey, he can't be stuck in the same place for too long.

Jun 28, 2021 10:23 PM

Jul 2020
Muzan2020 said:
Scordolo said:

this series is all about fushi, you shoulda know after march die everything fushi attached to theyll ended up dead, the story goes on with fushi not the other way around either you like it or not. I think the goodbye scene from each death character is enough, bc fushi has to continue his journey, he can't be stuck in the same place for too long.

My main point was why even let us get attached to the characters if the author plans to kill them right off the bat?

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jun 28, 2021 10:32 PM

Feb 2021
Scordolo said:

My main point was why even let us get attached to the characters if the author plans to kill them right off the bat?

I think it's a message being conveyed through this story, that nothing lasts forever. Humans are not eternal, nor immortal. Fushi absorbs experiences, emotions, thoughts throughout his travels. It felt inevitable that some sort of tragedy would happen again considering Fushi hasn't moved away in 4 years and has been content. I'm starting to think that creator of his might be involved with creating those nokker enemies too, in order to motivate Fushi to continue to move around. But we'll see
Jun 28, 2021 10:47 PM

Jul 2020
TSTO said:
Scordolo said:

I think it's a message being conveyed through this story, that nothing lasts forever. Humans are not eternal, nor immortal. Fushi absorbs experiences, emotions, thoughts throughout his travels. It felt inevitable that some sort of tragedy would happen again considering Fushi hasn't moved away in 4 years and has been content. I'm starting to think that creator of his might be involved with creating those nokker enemies too, in order to motivate Fushi to continue to move around. But we'll see

Everyone knows that nothing lasts forever.No piece of fiction needs to remind us that.I just don't like how the author is treating the characters more like an object rather than actual human beings.

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jun 29, 2021 12:37 AM
Mar 2021
The story is about Fushi, not the other characters. They let us get attached to them because otherwise it’d be a boring story. I see this as a form to let us experience the pain Fushi experiences with each of their deaths. You already knew since ep1 that fushi will transform into beings that make an impact on him. Tbh you should’ve seen it coming that every time he moves onto another group of people, one of them will die. The theme of the show isn’t death, it’s the value he got from all of his relationships and how human he’s becoming because of them. And I know you don’t like the sentiment of people being treated like objects to further the plot, but if you were an immortal being, pretty soon you’ll start seeing people as objects too, and I think that’s the lense the author is looking the story through.
Jun 29, 2021 12:38 AM
Jun 2021
Scordolo said:
TSTO said:

Everyone knows that nothing lasts forever.No piece of fiction needs to remind us that.I just don't like how the author is treating the characters more like an object rather than actual human beings.

Hi, I know you think that the author treats her characters like "objects", but please hear me out.

Their existence and deaths had actual purpose in the story and wasn't solely just there to make the viewers sad. (Though that was obviously the main reason ever since the first episode, but i digress.)

Their values and ideas helped shaped Fushi into a fairly normal "human". If they weren't there, the show would've been entirely different. Fushi might've became an emotionless monster whose main objective was to amass forms (perhaps by any means) to fight the Nokkers.

Just like how you've been heartbroken, Fushi was as well. I believe getting to suffer the same emotional pain as him was the correct way to tell this story.
Jun 29, 2021 3:32 AM
Jan 2020
sufferingphos said:
Scordolo said:

Hi, I know you think that the author treats her characters like "objects", but please hear me out.

Their existence and deaths had actual purpose in the story and wasn't solely just there to make the viewers sad. (Though that was obviously the main reason ever since the first episode, but i digress.)

Their values and ideas helped shaped Fushi into a fairly normal "human". If they weren't there, the show would've been entirely different. Fushi might've became an emotionless monster whose main objective was to amass forms (perhaps by any means) to fight the Nokkers.

Just like how you've been heartbroken, Fushi was as well. I believe getting to suffer the same emotional pain as him was the correct way to tell this story.

Totally agree with this one
Jun 29, 2021 3:45 AM
Jul 2018
At least she should have spared GUGU ¯\_ಠ_ಠ_/¯
Jun 29, 2021 5:39 AM

Jan 2021
Well yeah, hope its not repetitive like this anymore. It will be just another bad tearjerker type show than.
Jun 29, 2021 5:52 AM

Aug 2020
So far it's been like that. But considering how much Fushi has grown. I think the author might do something to improve his character growth.

Yeah, if this keeps up. It's gonna get repetitive. I hope they let us know the purpose of knockers and work their way towards the plot.

Or else this will end up shallow like how Vivy did by focusing only on mini arcs and shock factor.
Jun 29, 2021 6:00 AM
Jul 2018
Scordolo said:

I don't have any personal issue, but I would like to the production be more expensive
Jun 29, 2021 7:46 AM
Nov 2020
[quote=Scordolo message=63651393]I don't like how the author is playing with our feelings or he just doesn't care about his audience's feelings at at.

Death good. Stop crying.
Jun 29, 2021 9:31 AM
Oct 2020
It’s not supposed to be about the audience’s feelings. You know from the outset what this story is about. Eternity is a prison, not a blessing. Our perception is quick because relative to time, life happens in a blink of an eye. For Fushi, he is growing and spending his eternity knowing and losing those he knows and cares about. The challenge from the author seems to be to not attach yourself to characters, but to appreciate the time we have with them. The lesson is the cycle of life and death, whether it be death by natural causes or tragic end.

The episode count we get with each dying character feels relative to the time Fushi has known them. The first boy, died in the first episode because Fushi just met him. March lasts for four episodes because they spend a couple of weeks time together. Gugu’s arc takes up the last six episodes because again, it’s relative to the amount of time they spent together. That’s what’s supposed to stick with us, at least from my perspective
Jun 29, 2021 11:04 PM
Dec 2020
I don't think most people will agree with me but according to me its kinda Fushi's fault. I get it that having a superpower doesn't make you brave and its OK but he was being selfish when he said to that white man that gugu will defeat the knockers. It was his duty but he just depended on gugu. At that point, I pretty much knew that gugu was going to die, he was not an immortal being who can regenerate after getting tossed by a oniguma. And why doesn't Fushi ever listens to the white guy. Even in the preview we see him arguing with him.
Jun 29, 2021 11:48 PM
Dec 2020
I agree with you completely. Why use so many characters if none of them matter at all? I won't care for any of the characters from now on.
Jun 30, 2021 3:09 AM
Nov 2020
Scordolo said:

No, the characters are not being toyed with. You have to look into it deeper, philosophically and metaphorically. It hits harder when you realize that the way Fushi takes on the forms of the people he loved has a deeper meaning to it: From being a blank slate (an orb) he was slowly shaped by the people he has grown to love and his experiences. Just like us humans—we were born into this world without knowing anything, but the people around us gradually shape us into the person we are now. We also carry a part of the people we loved wherever we go here in our hearts, and grow from the things we learned from them, just like what he does whenever he takes their form. Such beautiful metaphors and symbolisms, I must say.

It's Fushi's journey to begin with, it's called To YOUR Eternity because it is pertaining to Fushi's eternity. His memories and lessons he learned from those people are something he will bring to HIS eternity.

Also, I don't wanna spoil you so I wouldn't explain in detail, but reincarnation exists in the manga, so no, the characters are not being toyed with. If she was, the author wouldn't flesh out their personalities, hardships and experiences so well like this.

Also, Gugu's death will be a motivation for Fushi to become stronger, in order to be able to protect the people he cares about. So the deaths will stop eventually, especially when he becomes an OP badass.

As for the nokkers, the interval has a reason. They are planning something. Think of them as intelligent Titans. Just as Gugu trained to be stronger, they did too. Again, I don't wanna spoil but just to answer your question, their attacks will become frequent and more frequent now after this, since they are learning and becoming stronger. Notice how Fushi defeated them in March's form during the first time they attacked, so the second time they attacked him in March's form too? And noticed how during the third time when they were defeated by Gugu, after 4 years they atttacked Gugu first during their comeback? They are the intelligent Titans of this series, if that makes any sense.
mayumacherieJun 30, 2021 3:20 AM
Jun 30, 2021 6:45 AM
Aug 2018
My problem with the series (I'm anime only) is it's repetition. It was clear as day from the first 2 episdes that every character with 10+ lines will die. The shock kinda works with March but it was so obious that Gugu will die. And because of that I couldn't care about his sad backstory and all, he was literally a walking corps. It would've been way more powerful if for example Rynn died. Yeah then fushi wouldn't have gotten the flamethrower ability (like actually wtf is that) but maybe then it would've felt more natural, not "hmm we gonna build this character for x episodes so we can justify Fushi spitting flames".
To be honest it feels like a video game where you have to collect new powerups to progress to the next level.
Jun 30, 2021 2:21 PM

Nov 2018
I think you may be misinterpreting the core message of the show.

Remember that one meme quote that goes along the lines of, "Maybe the 4.0 GPA was the friends we made along the way"? Yeah, the same idea applies to Fumetsu no Anata e. The uniqueness of the story isn't necessarily the destination, but rather the journey as they say.

Yes, it's heartbreaking that beloved characters we meet during Fushi's journey end up dying, but it's the new emotions and interactions Fushi experiences with them that makes the story all the more special. And there's some solace based on the fact that character deaths that we've seen so far, they'll always be remembered by being a part of Fushi.

I like to think the mangaka is exploring different facets and emotions of the human experience through Fushi. It's really beautiful to see all of this, especially in tandem with Fushi's development too.

Jun 30, 2021 3:29 PM

May 2020
I think you're missing the point of the series. You should expect every single character we meet to die at some point because this show doesn’t operate like others. The story will always follow fushi with other people showing up and impacting his humanity in some way before leaving his life, and other than the nokkers he is literally immortal. It’s impossible for the other characters to stick around and you don’t just get a “happy ending” when the fate of the world is on the line. I guess you could say the author is “playing with our emotions” but I’m pretty sure they know we expect every character to die and makes their deaths mean more. Like I felt that marchs death and fushi transforming into her was absolutely beautiful not disrespecting her as a character at all. Idk just some thoughts.
Jul 3, 2021 3:16 PM
Feb 2021
I've just watched episode 12 and couldn't agree more with you. What is the bloody chance of that cliff falling?
Why is everything done to cause suffering?
It has become so artificial.
Jul 4, 2021 6:50 AM
Apr 2020
Predator23 said:
I don't think most people will agree with me but according to me its kinda Fushi's fault. I get it that having a superpower doesn't make you brave and its OK but he was being selfish when he said to that white man that gugu will defeat the knockers. It was his duty but he just depended on gugu. At that point, I pretty much knew that gugu was going to die, he was not an immortal being who can regenerate after getting tossed by a oniguma. And why doesn't Fushi ever listens to the white guy. Even in the preview we see him arguing with him.

I haven't read the manga, so I can't say much on the topic. But fushi is presented a lot as a child. He is a just an immortal form of life that takes time to learn things and grows from experience, so I think he's not being "selfish" he just doesn't know how to act or properly protect others. He is still learning about his own power and what these nokkers are to him. I think he is also confused at what that white dude is and why he shows up from time to time. Hopefully we'll see him grow more from episode to episode :)
Jul 4, 2021 2:46 PM

Nov 2013
All I can say is that I felt the same annoyance as you OP (when reading the manga).
I also didn't like how the author is just killing characters to "buff" MC. At this point viewer just tries to avoid connecting with new characters as it's pretty much obvious that "they'll all die anyways, so who cares?!" right?

Because of such approach I think I will never give this show 10/10. I understand how the author is telling us "Fushi is the only one who will live forever" but after Gugu died I felt pissed. I mean, yeah, I understand that Fushi will outlive everyone, but could we stop killing young people so tragically/dramatically? The first guy, March, now Gugu. Time to stop?
Jul 5, 2021 1:20 AM

Mar 2020
I mean let's be real, even if they don't die in such tragic ways, they WILL still die, even if it's from just old age.
Fushi is immortal, he will always see his loved ones die.

The series is an interesting character study and provides insight on human emotions, going further into what makes us human.
Fushi being like a baby who is learning everything from scratch about being human.

So what I'm more interested in isn't the fact that people WILL die, I already know they will. I'm more interested in how much pain can Fushi bear. He's seen 2 of his loved ones die at this point. At what point does Fushi go "I do not want to ever be in contact with people again". At what point does he completely break down and start blaming himself for ever getting close to March and Gugu which led to their deaths.

Like that's the essence of people in general, the ability to persevere, but Fushi is basically a self-fulfilling suffering machine, he watches people die, he takes their forms and carries the burdens of their deaths with them. At what point does his will give out, that's what I'm interested in.
Jul 5, 2021 3:02 AM

Aug 2016
Scordolo said:

We've seen again and again that it is the personal stimulation for Fushi to be able to turn into someone. He has seen multiple unimportant people die and can't reproduce them. He can create spears, because they were the first weapon to properly hurt him. He can create fruits, because they were the first proper food that March gave him.

And he can turn into Fushi, March and Gugu, because of how important they were to his personal growth. They all teached him something about life. But all three seperated from him with a wish.
The boy showed him what hopes mean, but also wished to not be forgotten and get out of the icy despair.
March acted like his mother, teaching him about things in life and had the wish of someday having a family.
Only following that, Fushi actually tried to have that family. He and Gugu were like brothers doing everything together. We had a few moments during which Gugu could have died earlier, but the author waited until Gugu's arc was actually finished. If he had died earlier, then Fushi wouldn't had really learned anything new, as it would still have been about family. Instead Gugu died for the woman he loved and these feelings are what turned him into another part of Fushi.

This also makes the ending of episode 12 hurt much more. Fushi feels what Gugu felt, but he also knows that it could only hurt Rean if he stays. And Rean can also feel that he's not the same Gugu as before, as we can hear in her talk with her father. She's not saying that the man she loves may someday come back, but is sure that Gugu died for her. She knows that he is a part of Fushi now, even though she never really found out about his powers.

To be honest... I love the show, but sometimes it also annoys me to know that the author is just playing with my feelings. But then it always happens in the right moments for the deaths to have a proper meaning.
Jul 5, 2021 10:03 AM

Oct 2018
I have 2 problems with Fumetsu

First: Some action scenes don't make sense.
Parona fell from a cliff and it was okay
Parona got hit by that giant bear and it was okay
The giant bear was destroying the city
Hayase got hit by that giant bear, just got some scars and went crazy

Second: Too many death flags.
I guess it's going to happen all the time:
Fushi meets someone -> learns from that person -> that person dies and becomes part of Fushi.
But do they need to make it clear when they're going to die?
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jul 5, 2021 10:42 AM
Sep 2019
You just sound like you're being real contrarian, creating a BS problem for no reason other than to have something to not like about the series. Good job, you succeeded in disliking a virtually perfect series, congrats. Also, no one cares.
Jul 5, 2021 12:13 PM
Aug 2018
Scordolo said:

Honestly, I feel you're going to have that problem for the rest of the season. I feel like after the arc that the rest of the season is probably going to cover is when no characters die for a long time (but they still do eventually).

[quote=Scordolo message=63651887]
Muzan2020 said:

It's funny because this is precisely why I love this series. Ever since I was a child I thought "Wouldn't it be cool to tell the story of an immortal... but how it "really" would be. Obviously, an immortal will outlive every single person he cares about. Though obviously this show is killing characters way faster than it should, but that's also to show how unforgiving the world they live is in. But this isn't a Shounen... well at least not a normal one. A story about an immortal shouldn't care about what the audience feels. It should show it as it really would be. And as someone else said, it's also part of the point that Fushi "grows" and becomes more human through this pain. The death toll eventually becomes less when Fushi can actually do stuff by himself. But that's after this arc that comes next.

And also, this is something that I keep telling people, but after Gugu it stops feeling repetitive because Fushi himself already knows what to expect, and he changes his behavior as a result, closing his heart a little more. That's a good development, and the conflicts also start becoming larger in scale, so it doesn't feel like "some person's tragedy and Fushi observing"

To finish, yes, Nokkers do have a goal, but that will be revealed in a second season if there ever is one. This show is building a long-form narrative, so don't expect every answer right off the bat. And the Nokkers were gone for 4 years because they, as Fushi, need time to evolve, except the reason they evolve is to be able to beat Fushi.
Jul 7, 2021 8:11 PM
Apr 2020
[quote=R0rack message=63734259]
Scordolo said:

Honestly, I feel you're going to have that problem for the rest of the season. I feel like after the arc that the rest of the season is probably going to cover is when no characters die for a long time (but they still do eventually).

Scordolo said:
Muzan2020 said:

It's funny because this is precisely why I love this series. Ever since I was a child I thought "Wouldn't it be cool to tell the story of an immortal... but how it "really" would be. Obviously, an immortal will outlive every single person he cares about. Though obviously this show is killing characters way faster than it should, but that's also to show how unforgiving the world they live is in. But this isn't a Shounen... well at least not a normal one. A story about an immortal shouldn't care about what the audience feels. It should show it as it really would be. And as someone else said, it's also part of the point that Fushi "grows" and becomes more human through this pain. The death toll eventually becomes less when Fushi can actually do stuff by himself. But that's after this arc that comes next.

And also, this is something that I keep telling people, but after Gugu it stops feeling repetitive because Fushi himself already knows what to expect, and he changes his behavior as a result, closing his heart a little more. That's a good development, and the conflicts also start becoming larger in scale, so it doesn't feel like "some person's tragedy and Fushi observing"

To finish, yes, Nokkers do have a goal, but that will be revealed in a second season if there ever is one. This show is building a long-form narrative, so don't expect every answer right off the bat. And the Nokkers were gone for 4 years because they, as Fushi, need time to evolve, except the reason they evolve is to be able to beat Fushi.

I couldn't agree more

Jul 21, 2023 9:39 AM
Nov 2016
My personal issue with this anime is the island arc which is garbage, I loved everything else, if it wasn't for that shitty island arc I would have given this anime a 10/10 but the fucking island arc ruined it so I gave it a 7/10, good thing the last episode was good and because of it, I ended up giving this season a 8/10, the last episode saved this since it was falling harder than the titanic in that goddamn island arc which I hated.

S+ = Gugu's arc
A+ = March's arc
A   = Last episode
A   = First episode
D- = Island arc (yeah, it was that shitty)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fumetsu no Anata e Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2021

238 by MasterHavik »»
Apr 13, 2:43 AM

Poll: » Fumetsu no Anata e Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2021

158 by wallus81 »»
Apr 6, 12:30 AM

Poll: » Fumetsu no Anata e Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Usopp8000 - May 17, 2021

152 by wallus81 »»
Apr 1, 8:14 PM

Poll: » Fumetsu no Anata e Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 10, 2021

345 by wallus81 »»
Apr 1, 7:52 PM

Poll: » Fumetsu no Anata e Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 3, 2021

150 by wallus81 »»
Mar 28, 2:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.