Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 27, 2010 9:19 PM

Sep 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Tsch, the very words I didn't want to hear came from Rin's mouth. I know everything points to them having a happy ending, but I miss Daikichi already. I mean, I know parent play the backseat driver when their kids are this old and I favor romance above everything, but I just miss how the manga was...even though I still like the manga.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 27, 2010 9:57 PM

May 2007
I agree. My worst fears are coming true in regards to this manga. It seems like its slowly turning into some kind of high school romance/drama, with Rin as the central character now. Not that I mind Rin, but yeah...

I said this last chapter discussion, but I miss the story driven around Daikichi. *Sigh*
Mar 29, 2010 7:40 PM

Jan 2008
vindemon64 said:
I said this last chapter discussion, but I miss the story driven around Daikichi. *Sigh*

Oh Absolutley! Teenage Rin? Teenage Drama? Please! the first 4 volumes of "I'm a Dad Now?" were very entertaining.
Apr 3, 2010 3:55 AM

Jul 2007
I admit that I'll miss the style and topics of the first 4 volumes.

Still, a high school romance from the perspective of an involved parent might not be as bad as what we may usually expect. Parents are virtually non-existent in the genre.
YuunagiApr 6, 2010 4:32 AM
Apr 4, 2010 12:26 AM

Feb 2008
I rather liked it, but that may be partly because is been so long since I read the first 24 chapters.

for those that are worried about Daikichi disappearing from the narrative, I'd say its still too early to tell. they're still showing him way more than most parents in high school romance/shoujo manga and I doubt they've completely abandoned the plotline with Kouki's mother. not to mention problems he could develop at work that would affect Rin or renewed involvement from the family or w/e. its only the second chapter since the time skip, the mangaka basically has to reestablish the entire manga and that's not going to happen quickly, not if you want it done right.

I do kinda wonder why Kouki went out with psycho girl in the first place though. with that scene in the library/book store its pretty obvious he liked her as more than a friend/sister long before he asked the other girl out.
Apr 5, 2010 11:53 PM

Oct 2008
I agree wholeheartedly. I would rather she focuses on the relationship between Daikichi and Rin. We don't get to see mangas with similar relationships as the center.
Apr 6, 2010 12:08 AM

Feb 2008
I think Daikichi's character study is over. He pretty much monologued the essence of what he learned from being with Rin for a year. Now in reality, a person never finishes developing or growing but this manga has more or less shifted it's attention away from Daikishi to Rin.

As of now it seems like the story is geared towards Rin's development as a character. So I don't really mind the new direction its taking as long as it's genuine and heartfelt, which it is. Also the fact that we had 24 or so chapters of pre-growth in all these characters helps a lot too. I already feel like I've known Rin for ages. This author is doing things right.

The time skip could have been dealt with better though. A sudden 10 year skip is a lot to take in ONE chapter. Also there is a blatant lack of change on Daikishi's part. It's fairly unrealistic in that sense. But hey, it's not impossible, and as far as I'm concerned he did a wonderful job raising Rin.

Also there are lots of flashbacks so the time skip wasn't COMPLETELY unnerving. It'll be interesting to see the old cast completely re-introduced. But one thing that would really irk me is that if no one has changed. Time skips are virtually useless without changes in character and setting that can be compared to some kind of previous archetype. If the only difference after a time skip is the appearance of the characters the author has committed a grave sin. Time results in change, this is a fact. People change through time, places change through time, and life changes through time. I pray the author really takes this into account and doesn't solely shift the focus to Rin and her highschool days. Methinks the author will address this. i.e. Reina's mother did in fact go through with that divorce that she had been talking about in previous chapters. I'd like to hear how she is doing, and where her journey is taking her.

This manga really shines because it's a indepth character study of so many people. Not just the story around Daikishi and his journey with Rin, but all the people that surround them and their journey's as well. I'm really interested in Daikishi's sister and to see how she's fairing. She was apprehensive about having children and she was to get married. It's been 10 years, where is she now? I'm sure it'll be addressed and that's what makes this manga so fulfilling to read. Watching characters grow and evolve, powerful stuff.

All in all, I'm glad someone is translating this again.
seraphjeiApr 6, 2010 12:21 AM
Apr 19, 2010 12:34 PM
Jul 2008
Yuunagi said:
I admit that I'll miss the style and topics of the first 4 volumes.

Still, a high school romance from the perspective of an involved parent might not be as bad as what we may usually expect. Parents are virtually non-existent in the genre.

You might be right. The relationship between Daikichi and Rin was very odd to start with and deserves to be explored further. I liked the idea that a makeshift father can be a very good one if he has a strong sense of morals and responsibility.

Not having teenage children myself, it is likely that I am unconsciously trying to avoid thinking about that difficult age when a child grows away from his or her parents (and that would be very selfish of me). Anyway, I still have hope for this manga because the author seems way too smart and talented to let it become generic or shallow.
Do not fear darkness. A path of shadows can only end into the light.
Jul 7, 2011 5:44 AM

Nov 2008
I remember now why I loved this manga. Time gaps are fine with me, if the mangaka decided that there wasn't anything more to tell.

More topics from this board

» When does it get trash?

AshTheChamp - Mar 22

4 by blinddig »»
Apr 8, 4:09 AM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Chapter 62 Discussion

Dr_Funkadelic - Feb 27, 2013

44 by BigBlueBash »»
Nov 12, 2023 6:11 AM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Chapter 61 Discussion

Javi-Hime - Feb 28, 2013

1 by Rexnihilo »»
Aug 14, 2023 7:33 PM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Chapter 60 Discussion

Javi-Hime - Feb 14, 2013

4 by Rexnihilo »»
Aug 14, 2023 7:28 PM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Chapter 59 Discussion

Javi-Hime - Feb 14, 2013

5 by Rexnihilo »»
Aug 14, 2023 7:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.